Web hosting suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to register a new domain for my art portfolio site, I was going to do it with Yahoo but apparently I'd have to pay another $12 a month on top of the service I'm already paying for (I was hoping I could just hook up the new domain to it and it would share the bandwidth/storage allowance without charging me even more for hosting.)

So do you guys have any recommendations for a good web hosting company to go with?

What I'm looking for:

-Around $10 a month, preferable NOT something that requires 1 year payment up front as I really can't afford to spend $120 all at once right now
-Good PHP support / Can run Wordpress well
-Decent amount of bandwidth/storage. Doesn't have to be huge.
-Bonus points for anything that will let me transfer my old www.tganimation.net domain and keep it with my new one on the same hosting plan.

It's my understanding that our old Arvix host turned out to be crap, is this correct? So, any other suggestions?

I've been pretty happy with godaddy, to tell the truth, and a cheap website's like $5.00 month if you don't get a ton of traffic and don't need a ton of space. They support php, but i have no experience with wordpress so I can't comment.

Best of all, their tech support is local, not outsourced to bangladesh.

fade

Staff member
I use totalchoicehosting.com for the sole reason that they let me actually pay 5 dollars a month, instead of telling me it's 5/month and then charging me 60 dollars. Really friendly support staff that's actually always on the forum. Almost too friendly in a Stepford Wives kind of way.

Domain should only cost like 10-12 bucks a year, not a month.
The domain costs 10-12 a year. The hosting costs 12 a month.

My beef with Yahoo right now is that they seem to be going with 1-domain-per-hosting-plan. I can buy more domains with them, but I'm not sure if I can attach the new domain to my existing hosting plan with them rather than having to subscribe to a new plan entirely.

i currently have two domains hosted on my $6.00/month godaddy plan. I'm on the mid-tier plan because of the traffic my site gets.

tinwhistler.com and chaosflash.com.

tinwhistler points to the root, and chaosflash points to a subdirectory off the root.

Necronic

Staff member
Arvixe has been pretty solid for me. Even with their entry level package (4-12$/month depending on options) the support has been fantastic. Whenever I have talked to them I get a personal response within the hour. Or I can get them in a text chat like immediately. Never called them though.

Can't speak to the issues vix was talking about, never had any myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.