[Rant] well this sucks.

Stranded on the side of road in the middle of nowhere. Merry Christmas.
Been there man, best of luck. The wait sucks. Have been glad for Netflix and Twitch apps on my phone every since. Most of all, hoping it's not an expensive fix.

Are you okay yet?

If so, then:
Didn't people your age used to walk the entire road? Uphill? In the snow?

Dave

Staff member
Car has been towed. $150. Now we get to find out if they can try and fix it today, if the vacation is over, and if we can pay for it.

But we're at my wife's aunt & uncles house because they picked us up. So we're safe, but basically ducked - autocorrect - for this trip and probably Zach's last Christmas at home.

Joy to the world indeed...

Dave

Staff member
Well, we made it. But we had to leave the car and rent one. So Monday we'll head back and pick it up. There's more, but it's hard typing on this stupid thing. Tell you more about it on Monday or Tuesday.

Dave

Staff member
Okay. I'm just kind of sitting here so I'll try this.

Car broke down on the way to my mother and father in laws house. They are in Colorado springs. About two hours outside of Omaha the stickshift went *pop* and I drifted to the side of the road. We called a towtruck and got taken in to grand island, NE. Well, we were fortunate that Kerri's aunt & uncle lives in grand island so we called them to pick us up and they did. Well, the garage didn't think that they could get to it that day so it looked like our trip was over... Until aunt and uncle got us a rental car. We'll pick up the car on the way back through which works out because we get paid on Monday. So we drove to the springs and waited for the mechanic to call and let us know what the cost was going to be and pray that we'd have the money. Got the call today. $80. So $150 tow and $150 rental car for an $80 repair bill.

But the rental car is super duper great and I don't want to give it back.

Moral of the story is: if your car ever breaks down, make certain you do it by generous relatives.

So we got very lucky, even though it's going to cost us a bit overall.

Oh, and the rental has to be back by 12:30 Monday, which means we have to leave here at 4 on Monday. Oh well, could have been much worse.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk

Dave

Staff member
We're home. The ordeal is over. Did I mention the rest of the ordeal? No?

Turns out that $80 repair bill is NO PARTS, just labor. Apparently there's a spring inside the shifter that slipped off. They removed the center panel, put the spring back on & soldered it. BAM! $80. So we go to get the car...and the tire is flat. It had lost a bit of air before we left so it was no surprise. The guy asked if we wanted him to fix it, but it was under warranty so I said no and we aired it up to go home. Never even made it out of town. Went back. He fixed it for $10 so that was cool.

So why was this an ordeal? Well, seems the rental car had to be back to the rental place by 12:30 this afternoon. So we left Colorado Springs at 1 am Mountain time and drove. Hit Denver and ran into snow, which lasted almost half of the way to ou destination. I'm talking a normally 6 - 7 hour trip took over 9 hours because I was white-knuckling through snow at 45 mph. I got clear of the snow about 100 miles inside Nebraska and then prayed that there would be no cops lurking because I started driving like 90 to make up lost time. There were two times when I was still taking it slow that I was sure I was going to die, but I somehow got the car under control.

I think that's enough adventure for Dave and company for a while.

(But I loved the rental car and almost just took it home.)

I'm glad it got fixed and you got to have the trip you wanted despite misfortune.
You just have to look at it from another angle. Not: "my Christmas almost got ruined, I had to pay to have my car fixed, we had to leave early", but "I had some problems, but my family got together and helped us out, the garage didn't charge me an arm and a leg despite it being so close to Christmas, we got the rental back on time despite bad weather, and we''re all still in one piece. It's a Christmas Miracle!".

...Yeah, I know, I'm much better at finding silver linings for other people than for me. Also, that's a totally unhelpful silver lining. But hey, the aunt & uncle in law got to score some karma points!