What I want for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
My birthday's coming up, in a couple months but and the food dehydrator I wanted arrived yesterday. Calli told me she was going to make me wait til November, but heh, screw that ;)

So, since I can't ask for birthday presents now, this is what I really want for Christmas.

Those are scallops and a fig on a Himalayan salt block. I want that salt block.. They're evidently between $30-50, and they're mined out of a mine that's been in production for like 2000 years. They have both tableware and cookware versions (depending on how many imperfections are in the section mined), and the cookware versions are rated for being able to heat up to 700 degrees without cracking.

The mineral itself was deposited something like 600 million years ago. I think cooking on one of these things would be pretty incredible. Would make an awesome presentation piece, also.

I just saw those at a local spice shop, and my first thought was "What the Hell am I supposed to do with a giant block of salt?". Now I know. Really interesting.

It is a hell of a presentation piece, and I'd definitely buy one for that. But I did some reading on their use as cookware, and I can't figure out why anyone would use them for cooking. They seem like a nightmare to work with. pressure cracks, inconsistent heat displacement. Totally unpredictable.

I guess there's something to be said with that kind of keep you on your toes, spontaneity of the meal, but I'd rather just know what I was going to get with my dish.

Status
Not open for further replies.