Export thread

Why don't we talk about PVP anymore?

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Seriously, what happened to the daily PVP threads? They were a regular feature on the Halfpixel board. Has everybody here stopped reading it? Do people still have a grudge against teh Kurtz?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

There are some still in the Media Madness section. But if I've understood correctly, some have stopped reading it. Can't blame 'em... the comic's gone pretty bland these days.

Dusty668

I would say I quit reading it when he nuked the forum, but truth is, I just used the bookmark to his comic to click on the forum button. Since around 06-07 or so the strip got well, boring for me. Just read last 6 months, nothing has changed.

Shawn

Shawn

PvP is what it is. It was funnier when he took it less seriously. He's made a career out of it and now it's no longer a hobby for him. It's art for him now. It's a business.
Ask George Lucas what happens when you try to fix something that isn't broken.

But Kurtz is dedicated to it and I give him that much. As long as it makes him happy, at least it's not making us question our childhood.

Math242

Math242

i stopped reading months ago. i think it is coincidental but it was just afer they nuked halfpixel from orbit

Lally

"Let's destroy Butler's character by making him LOLBAT, because it makes SO MUCH FUCKING SENSE! lolz"
what.

Ugh. :blue:

Chazwozel

It's fucking lame. It's the Garfield/Charlie Brown of webcomics.

*note* I still read the newspaper funnies, and most of them are far better than PvP.

elph

I still read PVP from time to time. More from habit then an actual expectancy of humor.

I think another aspect of why we don't discuss PVP here is because, this community really has nothing (or very little) to do with PVP (or any other webcomic) anymore. I think it was discussed on Halfpixel out of a sense of responsibility to the hosts of the (sub)forum.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

"Let's destroy Butler's character by making him LOLBAT, because it makes SO MUCH FUCKING SENSE! lolz"
what.

Ugh. :blue:[/QUOTE]

Go check Media Madness, if you want to see me going ape-shit berserk about that.

chakz

Because it just gets worse and worse?

"I steal pens from restaurants! lolz"

"Twitter's down! lolz"

I can just hear him say "Fuck you guys, it's funny!" over and over.

It's not fucking funny.
The pens joke was pretty lame, but I admit to laughing at "Twitters down" and "Butler is lolbat"

It is however, still kind of hit or miss for me. I admit I sometimes just read it to watch how its going to evolve. A habit I got into when I first started reading webcomics, does anyone else do this?

@Li3n

@Li3n

Coz the flame wars got stale...

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Subw^H^H^H^H

Quizn^H^H^H^H^H

BLIMPIES!!

Covar

Covar

He burned us on thanksgiving. After that I pretty much lost all desire to read his strip. I also found myself less willing to dismiss/defend many of his actions. I just don't care anymore.

Jimmy Johns, for when you need a sub and only have 5 minutes between classes.

ThatNickGuy

I lost the majority of interest in PvP when he nuked the forums. It wasn't necissarily that action alone, but then saying it was a mercy killing and basically telling us all to go fuck ourselves because we didn't talk about his precious comic enough (even though we always dedicated a new thread to every new comic). Hell, the majority of us, myself included, defended him when a troll would come on.

But then to just shut down the forums, tell us to go fuck ourselves and all that? We were, in essence, his most vocal fanbase, both positively and constructively. Why would I want to support someone that treats ANY of their fanbase like that?

That said, I did try to contact him with the idea of a LOLBat monthly comic, so I still respect him as far as being an artist/creator. Just not so much as a person.

Ross

Ross

I had Jimmy John's once, and it was pretty meh, but from what I heard that was probably a rare mistake as Jimmy John's is actually supposed to be pretty good.

Covar

Covar

I had Jimmy John's once, and it was pretty meh, but from what I heard that was probably a rare mistake as Jimmy John's is actually supposed to be pretty good.
They are pretty tasty, but more importantly cheap and fast. Last spring I had a History class in the evenings that was ~3 hours long. The teacher would give a 10 minute break in the middle and it was enough time to walk to the Jimmy Johns get a #1 (ham) no tomatoes, LBI give them my $4.80 and walk back to class to consume my sandwich.

Fun Size

Fun Size

I still read it every day. It's like most web comics - once in a while it makes me smile, once in a great while it actually makes me laugh. For a fifteen second investment of my time, it's worth it. I feel the same way about CAD, Theater Hopper, XKCD...

Plus I liked the Starbucks and the Twitter's Down ones.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Almost never found the strip funny, only read it because making the forums my homepage directly gave me weird results on "newer posts", so I'd "glance over" the comic as I clicked the forum link. Can't really remember enjoying the strip much other than the "level up" version of Marcy who resembles my GF very closely.

I completely stopped reading when the forums left, because I no longer had to click the link on his front page anymore. I don't keep up with the story because I really didn't care. Also, I had placed a few orders from his store, to give him something "back" for hosting our forums, but funny enough, it was around the time of the nuke and since he was taking so long to get anything done with his shop, I easily cancelled them all.

Hylian

Hylian

I read it every day. Now granted I don't get a lol out of it but I do usually get a slight smile out of it. And really that's all I expect when I go in to read it. Do I admit that PVP used to be a lot better? YES! I freely admit that but is not going to stop me from going in and getting an occasional smile from it. I mean it only takes 1 minute if that to read it and than you can leave the site. It's not like you have to wait in line for 3 hours and than spend 2 hours reading it.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

It's not like you have to wait in line for 3 hours and than spend 2 hours reading it.
What did that have to do with ANYTHING in this thread? :confused: What point were you exactly trying to make with that?

Hylian

Hylian

It's not like you have to wait in line for 3 hours and than spend 2 hours reading it.
What did that have to do with ANYTHING in this thread? :confused: What point were you exactly trying to make with that?[/QUOTE]

I was just trying to say it doesn't take long to read. But of course being tired and half asleep right now I am not making much sense apparently.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

:blue:

Jake

Jake

I find it incredibly easy to completely ignore PvP.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Pretty much every PVP thread ends the same. I'm kind of glad we don't talk that much about it, because it seems to keep some people really bitter about what happened last year.

Dave

Dave

I still like it and read it.

Silvanesti

I find it incredibly easy to completely ignore PvP.
This.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

I liked the Count Chocula one, that made me laugh out loud. It does seem to be a hit or miss nowadays.
-----
This discussion has been pretty civil, considering the past with Kurtz. Not bad at all. :)
But in the steak thread it looks like they've jumped out the frying pan, and into the fire.

Halforum; you are strange.

Silvanesti

I liked the Count Chocula one, that made me laugh out loud. It does seem to be a hit or miss nowadays.
-----
This discussion has been pretty civil, considering the past with Kurtz. Not bad at all. :)
But in the steak thread it looks like they've jumped out the frying pan, and into the fire.

Halforum; you are strange.
We take our steak fucking serious.

And honestly, it think most people just dont give a crap anymore. I dont hate the guy, but Im not going to bother checking the lame webcomic.

Soliloquy

I still read it, more because the keystrokes of "pvponline"+CTRL+ENTER have been ingrained into my physical memory than out of actual desire to. It's just one of the motions that my fingers automatically go through when I'm bored and surfing the 'net. Not a conscious effort.

Like others said, it's hit-or-miss. I despise the lolbat/butler pairing, though. And I despise his explanation for it, too.

\"Teh Kurtz\" said:
Since LOLBAT has always been an aside to PvP canon, and Butler is a part of the continuity, I didn’t know what to do. Mixing them seemed like a bad idea. Especially considering how much some people DESPISE the LOLBAT. But the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. And the more I realized that it worked. Butler is his life IN continuity. LOLBAT is his escape out of it. The two don’t mix or interfere and it’s fun to all be in on the secret. And the reveal is so much fun.
That's... not how continuity works, Kurtz.

evilmike

evilmike

I had a thought about PVP the other day -- is it possible that it has become the webcomic equivalent of Garfield, the Wizard of Id, or Hagar the Horrible? Basically, it's a comic that can continue forever and be profitable, but it's never going to reach the same creative highs as it once did?

I vaguely remember an article that Kurtz posted about several years ago about Garfield. I *think* the main thesis was that Jim Davis made a conscious decision about scaling back on the omnipresence of Garfield and basically have something that was successful, but not too successful. That way, it would limit popular backlash and have long term sustainability. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.) This half-remembered article got me wondering if this had happened to PVP either by accident or design.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I had a thought about PVP the other day -- is it possible that it has become the webcomic equivalent of Garfield, the Wizard of Id, or Hagar the Horrible?
I haven't laughed that hard in a while. Thank you! :rofl:-:thumbsup:

Silvanesti

I had a thought about PVP the other day -- is it possible that it has become the webcomic equivalent of Garfield, the Wizard of Id, or Hagar the Horrible? Basically, it's a comic that can continue forever and be profitable, but it's never going to reach the same creative highs as it once did?

I vaguely remember an article that Kurtz posted about several years ago about Garfield. I *think* the main thesis was that Jim Davis made a conscious decision about scaling back on the omnipresence of Garfield and basically have something that was successful, but not too successful. That way, it would limit popular backlash and have long term sustainability. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.) This half-remembered article got me wondering if this had happened to PVP either by accident or design.
Its hard to intend to scale back something when you just dont do anything more then the bare minimum.

Fun Size

Fun Size

We take our steak fucking serious.
And this is why we never go over to Silvanesti's place for barbecue anymore.

Wasabi Poptart

... the comic's gone pretty bland these days.
This

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

While I prefer old-school PVP I must admit there have been some funny ones lately. Teh Kurtz actually did a real Halloween story arc this year.

Kitty Sinatra

A real bad hallowe'en story arc, certainly.

Anyway, I still read it. I really enjoyed it 10 years ago. I think it's stale, and has been for quite a while, but I keep hoping Kurtz finds his groove again.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

... the comic's gone pretty bland these days.
This[/QUOTE]

This. I've stopped regularly checking it about 6-7 months ago. I don't really want to discuss Kurtz or PVP anymore, but some of you just won't drop it.

makare

I still check it every day. i think the main problem is he doesnt do anything with his characters. or he'll start a character driven plot and then suddenly..what the ok lolbat i see yeah um when are we getting back to the plot.. never? oh ok...

I really like the characters. I would like to see more of them in the comic that is about them.

Espy

Espy

I still read it, but more out of habit. The strip rarely makes me laugh, unlike PA. However, his art is really getting good and I enjoy that.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Yeah, if his comedic skills were advancing as fast as his art style has been PvP would be the best comic strip on the net. I dunno, it hasn't been funny much lately but I still shoot it a glance when I do a weekly comic roundup.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I read it semi-regularly, and I think he's not as funny as he used to be, but is still worth an occasional chuckle, and once in a while a good lol.

It takes 10 seconds to load the page that I spend reading other things, so I feel like I get my money's worth. :p

And I liked "Twitter's down!"

TwoBit

I still read it. For the life of me I can't say why. I sure don't get much enjoyment out of it.

Reboneer

Let's talk about it right now then.

What happened to the background in the bottom left of the first frame?

BoringMetaphor

Let's talk about it right now then.

What happened to the background in the bottom left of the first frame?
isnt that the cubicle wall?

SeraRelm

This is why we can't have nice things...

or PVP threads in this section of the forums.

---------- Post added at 05:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 AM ----------

As a side note, I didn't even read the thread, really.:paranoid:

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

you fooled me, sera

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

You know what I really miss? The Tales by Tavernlight cameos. That comic took place in the Ultima Online universe (damn that's old) but it had some classic D&D elements that made it so enjoyable to read. In some ways it was like Order of the Stick.

Read the older comics and you can see teh Kurtz at the top of his game.

Dave

Dave

As his art got better his storytelling got stale. But I know I couldn't keep it up for as many years as he has.

Philosopher B.

This thread reminds me of my youth. *Sniff* :(

Seriously, though, to be perfectly honest, I'm not suprised mentions of PVP have all but faded away 'round these parts. There were moments on Halfpixel when it only felt like the 'PVP forum' in a perfuntory manner.

I haven't read the comic as much lately, partly 'cause I've been falling behind on a lot of webcomics, and partly 'cause I got a little tired of it. When I went back to it recently it just looks really weird to me, as his art is somewhat contrasting. I mean, look at this strip:

http://www.pvponline.com/2009/09/28/schaden-fraud/

Then look at this strip:

http://www.pvponline.com/2009/10/29/malcontents/

Not to mention the Lolbat's identitiy bugged me quite a bit, seeing as that was my favorite character. I dunno, I kind of liked the Lolbat concept when it was first conceived, but it turned out to be a pretty crappy one-note character whose mentions of invisible objects is just plain annoying.

Also, Jesus Christ. Look at this art:

http://www.pvponline.com/2009/10/20/i-spent-the-evening-with-lolbat-pt-2/

That's fucking beautiful. He can draw like that, and that's what he spends his time writing? I mean, it's his time, I guess. :confused:

\"Dave\" said:
But I know I couldn't keep it up for as many years as he has.
... I want to make a joke here, but I also don't want to.

Steve

Steve

Seriously, though, to be perfectly honest, I'm not suprised mentions of PVP have all but faded away 'round these parts. There were moments on Halfpixel when it only felt like the 'PVP forum' in a perfuntory manner.

I haven't read the comic as much lately, partly 'cause I've been falling behind on a lot of webcomics, and partly 'cause I got a little tired of it. When I went back to it recently it just looks really weird to me, as his art is somewhat contrasting. I mean, look at this strip:

Then look at this strip:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_VQgXnV0rB5A/SahOxdyelQI/AAAAAAAAAKg/hrlby8DhNPQ/s400/Starbuck.jpg

Not to mention the Lolbat's identitiy bugged me quite a bit, seeing as that was my favorite character. I dunno, I kind of liked the Lolbat concept when it was first conceived, but it turned out to be a pretty crappy one-note character whose mentions of invisible objects is just plain annoying.

That's fucking beautiful. He can draw like that, and that's what he spends his time writing? I mean, it's his time, I guess. :confused:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_VQgXnV0rB5A/SahOxdyelQI/AAAAAAAAAKg/hrlby8DhNPQ/s400/Starbuck.jpg
Have you not watched his live stream? He takes pictures off the net and traces them. He does that with everything but his characters. Even the shotgun in his zombie arc was pulled off google and traced. It's a smart idea as it saves him time but it explains the contrast in style where his characters look cartoony and other characters look real. And it's not like he's being sneaky about it. He lets you watch him draw in his live feeds and is open about it.

Chazwozel

Then look at this strip:

Have you not watched his live stream? He takes pictures off the net and traces them. He does that with everything but his characters. Even the shotgun in his zombie arc was pulled off google and traced. It's a smart idea as it saves him time but it explains the contrast in style where his characters look cartoony and other characters look real. And it's not like he's being sneaky about it. He lets you watch him draw in his live feeds and is open about it.[/QUOTE]

Really? Fucking really? Wow. Artist my ass. "tastemaker" "pioneer" HA!

Troll

Troll

wow, that makes me lose a lot of respect for the guy.

at least try and hide it :)
Umm... at least he's honest? :noidea:

Adam

Adammon

wow, that makes me lose a lot of respect for the guy.

at least try and hide it :)
Umm... at least he's honest? :noidea:[/QUOTE]

:)

Iaculus

Scott Kurtz = Greg Land?

Draxo

Draxo

"Twitter's down! lolz"

It's not fucking funny.
This.

Not to mention that whole tirade against newspapers, with him making a fool of himself in a public forum. Made me lose what little respect for his character I had left.

Dave

Dave

"Twitter's down! lolz"

It's not fucking funny.
This.

Not to mention that whole tirade against newspapers, with him making a fool of himself in a public forum. Made me lose what little respect for his character I had left.[/QUOTE]

He does go on about this crusade, I admit.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Is it a crusade if it's just the village idiot?

Chazwozel

\"I steal pens from restaurants! lolz\"

\"Twitter's down! lolz\"

\"Let's destroy Butler's character by making him LOLBAT, because it makes SO MUCH FUCKING SENSE! lolz\"

I can just hear him say \"Fuck you guys, it's funny!\" over and over.

It's not fucking funny.
This.

Not to mention that whole tirade against newspapers, with him making a fool of himself in a public forum. Made me lose what little respect for his character I had left.[/QUOTE]

I never got that whole crusade. It's not like newspaper comics are going to go away just because newspaper sales are going down.

http://www.philly.com/philly/comics_games/

Here's the syndicated comics section of my local paper website. There are tons of them all over. They probably get 100x better traffic than individual webcomic sites since they're affiliated with major newspapers.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I never got that whole crusade.
It started after he got snubbed by a newspaper to pick up his comic. Before that, he was all gung-ho "Newspapers are awesome!".

After he was laughed out, he suddenly flipped on the subject and went on the "Crusade". He's a hurt child who's lashing out and doesn't know when he's beat.

Chazwozel

I never got that whole crusade.
It started after he got snubbed by a newspaper to pick up his comic. Before that, he was all gung-ho "Newspapers are awesome!".

After he was laughed out, he suddenly flipped on the subject and went on the "Crusade". He's a hurt child who's lashing out and doesn't know when he's beat.[/QUOTE]

His comic is terrible for a newspaper syndicate. He writes in a niche market. The majority of newspaper readers are not going to get his internet humor. Look at Dilbert, that comic is a niche market on white collar cubicle jobs and it initially had a really rough time.

His interview with Triumph the Dog is hilarious and spot on. No one cares about Skull the troll.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Let's be honest, Halforums, we're avoiding the real question here.

Forget PVP. Why don't we talk about us anymore?

SeraRelm

Guys! Stop!
He's a "pioneer in (his) field and a “tastemaker” with a large podium"! We have to give him all the respect in the world for his... what does he do with the bulk of his day again?

Chazwozel

Guys! Stop!
He's a "pioneer in (his) field and a “tastemaker” with a large podium"! We have to give him all the respect in the world for his... what does he do with the bulk of his day again?
eat, play WoW, scour the internet for bad press and writing hate mail.

Goddamn it Kurtz is living my dream... except the morbidly obese whale part...

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

eat, play WoW, scour the internet for bad press and writing hate mail.

He's actually lost weight. The first time I saw him in person (Comic-Con 2004) he was enormous. I thought he was leaning against a beanbag chair before I realized he really WAS the beanbag. But the last time I saw in (Comic-Con 2007) he was looking okay.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

I loved this idea so much for a story, I had to doodle a bit! It's the tale of two village idiots that decide to go to the crusades when everybody around them don't give a crap about what the moors are doing.

Adam

Adammon

Aren't you supposed to put pictures of people choking their chicken in the NSFW area? :)

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Aren't you supposed to put pictures of people choking their chicken in the NSFW area? :)
I actually was about to draw him with a chicken on his hand, but thought about this euphemism and decided that drawing a duck instead would avoid this easy joke.

I SEE I WAS WRONG.

Adam

Adammon

Nothing says Easy Joke like Adammon.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Nothing says Easy Joke like Adammon.
I made the error of underestimating your power!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I loved this idea so much for a story, I had to doodle a bit! It's the tale of two village idiots that decide to go to the crusades when everybody around them don't give a crap about what the moors are doing.

[/QUOTE]

I approve of this development and want to see more.

Also, I wants royalties :p

bhamv3

bhamv3

You can change it just enough to avoid paying royalties to NR.

For example, they won't be the village idiots, they'll be the hamlet dunces.

(I'll need royalties now though)

Soliloquy

You can change it just enough to avoid paying royalties to NR.

For example, they won't be the village idiots, they'll be the hamlet dunces.
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?

[/bad literary joke]

bhamv3

bhamv3

Soliloquy

Clever, no?

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Highbrow jokes are awesome.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Yeeeeah... Royaltieeees...

Wait for the checks, I'm pretty sure I already sent them to you!