[WIP] Star System - Maelstrom (created for North Ranger)

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kitty Sinatra

If you're simply not done labeling the planets, ignore this.

The planet with the green orbit is gonna have to be better identified. Its orbit makes me think it's M2, but the position of the planet itself on that map makes me think it's M3.It could also be M4, too.

And just out of curiousity, what's the red shadow in Tiresias's orbit

-- Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:49 pm --

K

Kitty Sinatra

Oh, that was a planet! I thought you had just marked Tiresias's orbit.

Marking the orbits like that makes the map look cluttered, a bit of an eyesore. I have a suggestion, though. Scrap the orbit markings, and replace the hyphens in the index with images of the planets. Like so:
MI O Hades
M2 O The Cauldron

Or perhaps like one of these:

O MI, Hades
O The Cauldron, MII

Oh, and let me say: it looks very good overall.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Very nice, Brigand. I can certainly put your map to good use. Thank you very much.

How are you getting along with the planet map?

North_Ranger

Staff member
Brigand said:
I'll come up with something soon. Been busy with other projects.
Okay. I was just asking because the campaign starts this weekend. But naturally actual paying work takes priority.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Black, obsidian-like. I was actually hoping you could come up with a map according to the specs I sent you. There's some aspects of Nikulite which I could best explain with a good picture.

Basically, it exists in three forms:
- Liquid (which basically makes up the seas of Hades, as well as a fair proportion of the thin atmosphere)
- Gravel (the deserts)
- Crystal (the most valuable form)

I tried to come up with some kind of effect to show how the planet was scoured by the solar activity, so I basically came up with this form:
1. During solar activity the particle storms scour the planet, vaporising liquid Nikulite into the atmosphere and creating the chemical reactions that form the substance in the first place.
2. During this solar phase the planet is pretty much like Crematoria in the Chronicles of Riddick: one side cold and desolate, the sunny side a burning hell.
3. When the solar activity lessens, the atmosphere stabilises itself with massive rainfall of liquid Nikulite, thus forming the seas. The geography is in constant flux due to these periods of solar activity that shape the very features of the planet. During the sun's restful phase, it is 'only' a lifeless, glassed planet.

One prominent image I intend to use in the campaign is a mining vessel that didn't get away, and is now encased in Nikulite crystals - you know, to show how fast the substance can form during the solar phase.

Hope that helped.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Heh, I know what you mean. I too get distracted from things that I'm supposed to do ;) And life, she tends to get in the way, yes.

You still have the map specs I sent you?

Status
Not open for further replies.