Worst Movies of 2015

Null

Null

There were a lot of crappy movies this year. Just off the top of my head:

Pan
Fan4stic
Pixels
Chappie
Divergent 2: Electric Boogaloo (Insurgent)
Get Hard
Entourage

What are some of the movies you thought were just awful this year?

Dave

Dave

I liked Chappie. It was weird but harmless fun. Very Short Circuit, but not one of the worst of 2015.

Null

Null

I liked Chappie. It was weird but harmless fun. Very Short Circuit, but not one of the worst of 2015.
I was really really disappointed by it. Die Antwoort just killed the movie for me. Yolandi and Ninja were bad actors and not especially sympathetic characters. I will say that the effects were fantastic and most of the scenes without Die Antwoort were okay.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Worst Movie of 2015 Hard Mode: Nominate only movies you've seen.

Dei

Dei

Then I nominate Pan multiple times.

bhamv3

bhamv3

In that case, 50 Shades of Grey.

Actually, I think 50 Shades has a good chance of winning worst movie of 2015 outright.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hey now that's discriminatory.
...if I've only seen one (new) movie in all of 2015, wouldn't that also make it my worst movie of 2015?

EDIT: Just checked. Of the top 500 movies released in 2015 listed by the IMDb, I've seen just one, Inside Out.

--Patrick

bhamv3

bhamv3

It's official, Patrick thinks Inside Out was the worst movie he saw in 2015.

And also the best.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Jurassic World.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's official, Patrick thinks Inside Out was the worst movie he saw in 2015.

And also the best.
Slight correction...Inside Out was the best/worst movie I've seen that was released in 2015.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

Minions was 10000000x better than Pan.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm surprised to see Furious 7 on the disappointing list; I heard nothing but good things.

bhamv3

bhamv3

And there's Jurassic World and Terminator Genisys on the awesome list. Let's just chalk this up to subjective tastes, and not put too much stock in the list.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I'm surprised to see Furious 7 on the disappointing list; I heard nothing but good things.
If you're a fan of the series, I guess you'll like it. There's some overt "homage" to Paul Walker in the movie. It's so in your face, they might as well have stopped the film and looked directly in the camera to shed a tear and light a candle. Other than that, it was just another over-the-top, physics-defying action flick. If they weren't trying so hard to be serious, it might be ok. It deserves to be on the worst list, IMO.[DOUBLEPOST=1449242456,1449242391][/DOUBLEPOST]San Andreas! Hahahahahahaha. Did anyone actually watch that on purpose?!

strawman

strawman

The links on the list go to his reviews, and you can see why he felt one way or the other about a given movie. For instance, regarding Jurassic World:

With that out of the way, the film has some weird flaws. Most of the interpersonal stuff falls flat, and while we do get lots of on-screen dinosaur goodness, Sandra and I both came away feeling like the filmmakers didn't want to bother with "sense of wonder."

...but if the action had been supported by a really well-crafted human story it would have been more powerful. If the film had been allowed to cast off a couple of the less-engaging human stories, the action could have been dialed up a bit, and Jurassic Worldwould have shone as a really good monster movie.
Don't get me wrong: I wasn't actually disappointed—I have a threshold for that on my list, and this film escaped that handily—but I did have to tip my head to the side and raise my eyebrows at the film a couple of times to quietly say "really, movie? That's as hard as you're going to try to sell that to me?"
He indicates he saw it in imax 3d and was blown away by the visuals, and enjoyed the music.

Having recently seen it for the first time, I agree largely with him (which is why I trust him as a reviewer - his and my tastes do line up pretty well). There are a ton of plot holes you could drive a truck through, and many moments where characters become more or less smart in order to effect certain plot required events. But it was still a fun, engaging movie.

fade

fade

I liked Minions. It was silly but not bad.

Minions seems to evoke this weird "too cool for school" response in people. So many people feel obligated to hate it because it's a franchise film.

Tress

Tress

I liked Minions. It was silly but not bad.

Minions seems to evoke this weird "too cool for school" response in people. So many people feel obligated to hate it because it's a franchise film.
I can still hate it because I find the minions annoying, right?

Dei

Dei

Wait, Tomorrowland is on the awesome list? I thought it was bad? I didn't see it, but I remember complaints.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Wait, Tomorrowland is on the awesome list? I thought it was bad? I didn't see it, but I remember complaints.
It was spectacular.

EDIT:
spectacular.gif

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

They're annoying, and then there's every animated movie that has a minions rip-off that is also annoying.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I think they're cute but also annoying--the annoying part comes from hearing about them all the time from my students.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Mad Max: Fury Road

Jay

Jay

GTFO

Max Mad was #1 movie for me this year.

It was EXACTLY how it was supposed to be.

Freaking plebs.

blotsfan

blotsfan

GTFO

Freaking plebs.
It was also the best movie I saw this year. :)

Jay

Jay

That's right.
Also #9 on the list is bullshit. I'd wage 3-4 at worst.
The Martian was awesome and I didn't see home of these but this was a REMAKE (somewhat) and this exceeded all expectations.

Dinoland behind ahead of this is a tragedy. Avengers too. Neither were awesome. Heck, I'd say Avengers should be considered on the bottom end of worst of 2015.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Oh shit! I completely forgot about Avengers 2. Clearly not as good as Mad Max.

I can't believe how little impact that had on me. Maybe its over-saturation but I feel like I'm kinda over the Marvel Universe.

Frank

Frank

He also liked Jupiter Ascending and Terminator Gynysys so you know, your mileage may vary.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

GTFO

Freaking plebs.
Fuck yeah, man.

This is the first year I've actually run out of the movie gift cards my mom buys me each Christmas, thanks to seeing Mad Max again and again.

I can't believe how little impact that had on me. Maybe its over-saturation but I feel like I'm kinda over the Marvel Universe.
This is how I felt, to the point that I didn't see Ant-Man even though I wanted to, but Captain America 3's trailer has reminded me that I do still care, when it's not apparently a bloated mess. Now, Civil War could still be a bloated mess, but I'm willing to give it the chance to prove itself.

Jay

Jay

Oh shit! I completely forgot about Avengers 2. Clearly not as good as Mad Max.

Ultron movie was clearly a stand-in movie waiting on the "big bad guy" to finally make his entrance.

They've milked his return to the universe for like 10 movies now across different platforms. Heck, he was the REAL bad guy in defenders of the galaxy.

The movie was so average that I'm no longer interested in any more movies... most of these guys already had 2+ movies associated to them....[DOUBLEPOST=1449344958,1449344552][/DOUBLEPOST]
Untitled.png

Frank

Frank

Ant-Man was legit better than Avengers 2. Actually, most of the stand-alone Marvel films are. I've been pretty vocal about how little I like either Avengers films. They're just ok.

Ant-Man was a hilarious heist movie.

Denbrought

Denbrought

I think the only 2015 movies I've watched is Mad Max and Magic Mike XXL, so I'll go with Mad Max for best and XXL for worst (I love Donald Glover but can't stand his singing, and Fluffy just isn't that good of an actor). It's nice to be catered to--two movies in a row where I want to bone pretty much the entire cast.

On a vaguely related note, I can't wait for RLM's 2016 "Fuck you, it's <year>!"

phil

phil

This space reserved for Star Wars. :troll:

Bubble181

Bubble181

I think the only 2015 movie I've seen is Inside Out, so I'll have to call that both best and worst. hmm. I may need to sneak in some crappy straight-to-DVD movie just so I don't have to call Inside Out worst; it doesn't deserve it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Brofist to each of the things you said.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

I think the only 2015 movie I've seen is Inside Out, so I'll have to call that both best and worst. hmm. I may need to sneak in some crappy straight-to-DVD movie just so I don't have to call Inside Out worst; it doesn't deserve it.
Pan comes out on DVD here on the 22nd. That would totally fulfill that need. [emoji14]

Bubble181

Bubble181

Pan comes out on DVD here on the 22nd. That would totally fulfill that need. [emoji14]
....please don't be or inspire my SS....please don't be or inspire my SS...please don't be or inspire my SS....;)

Dei

Dei

....please don't be or inspire my SS....please don't be or inspire my SS...please don't be or inspire my SS....;)
:ninja:

Tress

Tress

I have a confession to make. I thought Mad Max was bad.

I know. I'll show myself out...:okay:

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That's fine, but you should check out Mad Max Fury Road.

fade

fade

This space reserved for Star Wars. :troll:
Seriously, though, I just can't wait to hear how it's a boring, contrived, derivative mess, and how we're all cattle for loving it blah blah blah. Followed up by how Batman and Robin was an underappreciated gem.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I didn't like Fury Road either. I didn't hate it. I thought it was visually amazing, but the story was blah. I might have liked it if it was called Mad Maxine. It sure felt like the movie was all about Theron's character. All style and no substance. I would have liked to have seen it on the big screen for the visuals.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Jem and the Holograms

...Yes, I actually saw it. Yes, it is godawful. It's a terrible adaptation, as it's own thing it's poorly done, and it still frustrates me how much they padded this thing with YouTube clips.

Dave

Dave

This list of awful movies will have to be revised once Star Wars comes out on the 18th.

There's a Chipmunks movie released on the same day.

bhamv3

bhamv3

This list of awful movies will have to be revised once Star Wars comes out on the 18th.

Holy shit, and Star Wars is up against that? What were the movie execs thinking? Move Star Wars up a week!

BananaHands

BananaHands

The Good Dinosaur was pretty disappointing.

Avengers 2 wasn't terrible, but I was just kind of worn out on the MCU until Ant Man and Daredevil showed up.

Null

Null

I had honestly forgotten that Jupiter Ascending and Jem and the Holograms also came out this year.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I still contend that nothing released this year was as bad as 50 Shades.

Null

Null

Another one I had completely forgotten.

General Specific

General Specific

Also that "Sisters" movie with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler.

Tress

Tress

Also that "Sisters" movie with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler.
Yeah, but that one makes sense. It's for a completely different demographic.

General Specific

General Specific

Yeah, but that one makes sense. It's for a completely different demographic.
I was kinda thinking about it and came to the conclusion that they were releasing that movie for all of the family members of Star Wars geeks that didn't also want to (or couldn't) see Star Wars, but had to go with them to the theater.

Dei

Dei

I didn't see 50 Shades, but I guarantee Pan was worse.

Covar

Covar

Based on the way Hollywood judges a movies success I don't think the audience demographics are going to matter much for Sisters. I also think there's a bigger overlap in fans that people are thinking.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Based on the way Hollywood judges a movies success I don't think the audience demographics are going to matter much for Sisters. I also think there's a bigger overlap in fans that people are thinking.
I was going to mention this. Most female Star Wars fans I know also love Amy and Tina. I think Sisters isn't something you need to see opening night, so it might make more of a steady, though smaller, box-office. Probably for those who have seen SW but want to see a movie around the holidays.

Covar

Covar

I was going to mention this. Most female Star Wars fans I know also love Amy and Tina. I think Sisters isn't something you need to see opening night, so it might make more of a steady, though smaller, box-office. Probably for those who have seen SW but want to see a movie around the holidays.
Based on all the Star Wars jokes in 30 Rock, I assume Tina Fey is a also a big Star Wars fan. I just feel bad that Hollywood is obsessed with the opening weekend.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I've seen about 30 movies released on 2015, am hoping to see more, BUT right now here are my bottom 5: Hot Tub Time Machine 2, Aloha, Taken 3, Terminator Genisys, Jurassic World

really bad movies I might see since I hate myself:

Mortdecai
Entourage
Fifty Shades of Gray
Minions
Pixels
Vacation
We Are Your Friends
War Room
Pan
Hot Pursuit
Get Hard
Joe Dirt 2

PatrThom

PatrThom

That looks like the recipe for a very disappointing weekend.
Bring the Pepto.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I've seen about 30 movies released on 2015, am hoping to see more, BUT right now here are my bottom 5: Hot Tub Time Machine 2, Aloha, Taken 3, Terminator Genisys, Jurassic World

Mortdecai
Entourage
Fifty Shades of Gray
Minions
Pixels
Vacation
We Are Your Friends
War Room
Pan
Hot Pursuit
Get Hard
Joe Dirt 2
Good god, man, why do that to yourself.

Tress

Tress

Mortdecai
Entourage
Fifty Shades of Gray
Minions
Pixels
Vacation
We Are Your Friends
War Room
Pan
Hot Pursuit
Get Hard
Joe Dirt 2
We Are Your Friends was okay, the rest of those were all crap. Some of those will probably take spots of your "Worst Of 2015" list.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Mortdecai
Entourage
Fifty Shades of Gray
Minions
Pixels
Vacation
We Are Your Friends
War Room
Pan
Hot Pursuit
Get Hard
Joe Dirt 2
You're watching Pixels and Joe Dirt 2 but not Mall Cop 2? Come on bruh

blotsfan

blotsfan

I really liked hot tub time machine. The sequel was that bad?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

You're watching Pixels and Joe Dirt 2 but not Mall Cop 2? Come on bruh
lens in incredibly close that's my secret, Cap... I already saw Paul Blart Mall Cop 2[DOUBLEPOST=1450586925,1450586797][/DOUBLEPOST]
I really liked hot tub time machine. The sequel was that bad?
I liked the first one too! and even have it on blu-ray. It just wasn't as funny and had zero of the small clever bits as the first

Denbrought

Denbrought

lens in incredibly close that's my secret, Cap... I already saw Paul Blart Mall Cop 2
... And it didn't make your worst-movies-of-2015 list? What kind of monster are you?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

... And it didn't make your worst-movies-of-2015 list? What kind of monster are you?
A monster that thought Paul Blart 2 was funnier than Hot Tub Time Machine 2, I guess. That's just the bottom 5

Denbrought

Denbrought

A monster that thought Paul Blart 2 was funnier than Hot Tub Time Machine 2, I guess. That's just the bottom 5
Terminator and Jurassic don't feel worse than Hot Tub or The Blart, imo.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Terminator and Jurassic don't feel worse than Hot Tub or The Blart, imo.
the Blart movies are way better than their rep, IMO. I'm not calling them classics, but they're really just kind of lowkey family-ish slapstick, and Kevin James is really good at falling down. The first one had some cool parkour tricks, and this one has some decent hammy Neil McDonough villainy and uses its Vegas location (although it comes off as a fawning infomercial some of the time) well. They're just kind of unremarkable and average.

now Terminator 6 and Jurassic Park 4 for the other hand, are the worst kind of incoherent and aggressively stupid sequel/reboot/remake/whatever. It's just loud and angry mayhem with the faintest hint of anything resembling a story/characters

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I can respect Paul Blart more than some of those movies, because it never tries to be more than it is. It sets the bar low from the beginning, and is exactly what you expect.

Null

Null

I can respect Paul Blart more than some of those movies, because it never tries to be more than it is. It sets the bar low from the beginning, and is exactly what you expect.
It's an insult to audiences when a walking fart joke like Paul Blart can get a sequel made, but Guillermo Del Toro can't get a budget approved for Pacific Rim 2, Hellboy 3, or Mountains of Madness.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

It's an insult to audiences when a walking fart joke like Paul Blart can get a sequel made, but Guillermo Del Toro can't get a budget approved for Pacific Rim 2, Hellboy 3, or Mountains of Madness.
Paul Blart makes money, the audiences have spoken.

Covar

Covar

Maybe he should have stuck around for the Hobbit.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Don't hate the players, hate the game.

Frank

Frank

I've never seen Paul Blart, but I completely agree about Jurassic World and Terminator. They're fucking awful. Like, aggressively shitty.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Maybe he should have stuck around for the Hobbit.
That's why I thought he was doing that project to begin with. If he'd made the Hobbit movies, he'd have earned enough box office to his name that he probably could've made whatever he wanted afterward.

Celt Z

Celt Z

To be fair, it's a lot cheaper to make a Paul Blart than any of the above, so when you set the bar low for cost/returns, it's easier to make more.

PatrThom

PatrThom

lens in incredibly close that's my secret, Cap...
MCU/ECU
To be fair, it's a lot cheaper to make a Paul Blart than any of the above, so when you set the bar low for cost/returns, it's easier to make more.
It's no Blair Witch.

--Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_and_the_Chipmunks_(film_series)#Reception

Here's what blows my mind: how do these movies make so much damn money?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_and_the_Chipmunks_(film_series)#Reception

Here's what blows my mind: how do these movies make so much damn money?
Parents take their kids to it.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Parents take their kids to it.
Those poor, poor kids.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I...watched Minions.

Clear some room at the bottom

bhamv3

bhamv3

I...watched Minions.

Clear some room at the bottom
Still better than Fifty Shades. No, seriously.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'm posting my full list here so you can decide for yourself how many are "worst"

1.Creed ★★★★★
2.The Man from U.N.C.L.E. ★★★★½
3.Mad Max: Fury Road ★★★★½
4.Bridge of Spies ★★★★½
5.Magic Mike XXL ★★★★
6.Crimson Peak ★★★★
7.Spotlight ★★★★
8.The Revenant ★★★★
9.The Hateful Eight ★★★★
**LINE OF GREAT**
10.Jupiter Ascending ★★★★½
11.Kingsman: The Secret Service ★★★½