Yay. I can post from China

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chibibar

Shanghai actually. How is everyone I cannot access facebook from here and some other sites like Twitter bummer. I finally manage to log on. My wife and I are gonna do some sightseeing with my dad. He knows the place.

If y'all know how to access facebook in china please pm me or reply. I might get to see wit but internet is limited

I'm actually grateful I'm missing the Expo. Maybe the crowds will clear out then. I remember last Christmas some of the major bar areas and parts of the Bund were closed down for construction. My trip this time should be a bit better. I want to visit the nearby water village again too which is where, if I recall, I bought Tinwhistler's stamp 0_o

And actually, I'd LOVE to drive down from Shenyang to Shanghai. That would kick a lot of ass.

Is there that much of a scarcity? I bought m air tickets for nov 5th not too long ago, round trip cost of 1300RMB.

Yeah 天津 might be better, considering the absolute speed you can get there. I was going to fly out from Beijing but apparently Shenyang has direct flights too (thought not as many per day) and after factoring Shenyang to Beijing D-train costs, it wan't worth it. At least it's still comparably warm down there. Monday's forecast for Shenyang is calling for Rain/Snow. YAY.

C

Chibibar

Actually my dad has a house here. We are going to Beijing for about two days. We are heading to forbidden city tomorrow (Friday). And doing the great wall tour on Saturday.

There was a program everyone was using in Beijing when I was there to get past the government blocks and access facebook. But hell if I can remember the name of it now. If other members' suggestions don't work, I can try asking some of the people I met there if they remember the name of it.

All I remember is the logo was a white bird.

---------- Post added at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

Yeah 天津 might be better, considering the absolute speed you can get there. I was going to fly out from Beijing but apparently Shenyang has direct flights too (thought not as many per day) and after factoring Shenyang to Beijing D-train costs, it wan't worth it. At least it's still comparably warm down there. Monday's forecast for Shenyang is calling for Rain/Snow. YAY.
I know, I just got back from Changchun, you live in a bloody cold part of the world! Here I am in Beijing complaining about it being 15 degrees celsius. What happened to my Canadian spirit? When I first came here I was wearing short sleeved t-shirts while everyone was in their goosedowns. Hey, the next time you're on a high-speed train take a look at the window and you might just see my glass. If it is my glass I'm happy for you and I'll let you finish, but I'd just like to say that Beijing Mingdun has the best safety records for glazings on trains OF ALL TIME, OF ALL TIME!

Chibi, when you go to the great wall go to simatai to avoid the tourists, it's one of the more worn out parts of the wall and is generally cooler. Or if you go to Badaling either go super early or later in the evening (and be prepared to bribe some gate keepers to stay open) so you have the wall mostly to yourself. Furthermore, if you are able to physically make it, the hike on Badaling to the left is better because it is steeper less tourists go that way, and eventually you get to a part of the wall that has trees growing out of it because it hasn't been maintained at all. This part is a bit dangerouse but not too terribly so. The last tour bus out of badaling usually leaves around 3:00pm so it becomes a lot less crowded after that. However, I own a car here so I can have more freedom in how I move around. Don't use illegal taxis, but I imagine that is something you already know.

I hope you're having a great time in China![/QUOTE]

We mus have approached the wall from different directions, because to my recollection, the Great Wall at Badaling was steeper on the right side. The left side was the side that had been more heavily renovated throughout the years and was less steep.

Regardless, at badaling, the left side is the way to go. All the tour groups go right to see some scribblings left by Mao Zedong. Ive taken the left route up Badaling and its gorgeous and theres much fewer person. I've had it where I've been the only one at the end. It's very peaceful. Im gonna force myself to go up there again in a couple months so I can see it all...winterfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.