Yo dog, I heard you like spoiler alerts so I put spolier alerts in your spoiler alerts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necronic

Staff member
So I have been watching the HBO miniseries Rome with my girfriend recently and we're getting past the halfway point, which means that Caeser has already taken over Rome and been declared dictator for the next 10 years. Brutus is talking with Caeser and you can tell there was a lot of nasty tension there. I made the comment 'yeah you're going to die horribly' at this point, referencing Caeser.

My girfriend, at this point, is like "wtf! don't ruin it for me!!".

I kind of sat there....a bit taken aback. Did I just spoile the assassination if Julius Caeser?

Turns out I did. She was 25 years old and didn't know that Caeser was assassinated by the senate. I then gleefully ruined the whole thing for her.

"Oh yeah, Brutus and like 50 senators totally stab the crap out of Caeser and leave him to bleed out on the senate floor"

Now, she was a bit pissed at this point. But honestly, there's a limit right?

I mean, if I am watching Passion of The Christ and someone gets pissed off because I make a comment about the crucifiction, or ruin the twist that he's actually God's son, that's not my fault right?

If we're perusing some WW2 movies its ok to say "Hitler did it" right? That doesn't ruin the ending does it?

Darth Vader is Skywalkers dad.

Anyways, anyone else got good stories about someone getting irritated by a spoiler alert that they have no business not knowing? Or have you had something spoiled for you that you should have already known in the first place? Or just funny spoiler stories?

One funny (kind of messed up) spoiler I remember was when I went to go pick up one of the Harry Potter books (1/2 blood prince I think) for my girl on release night someone drove by the crowd of fans in front the bookstore and shouted out "Snape Kills Dumbledore!"

The fans were soooooooooo pissed. I on the other hand had no idea what they were talking about, then asked my gf about it when I gave her the book. She was also not pleased.

Also. All posts should have spoiler tags. God forbid we ruin something for someone.

To make this even more fun, people should put real spoilers in here as well. It makes it like a game of stratego. Hm I wonder if there's something funny in this one. Oh crap they just ruined my favorite show.

The Japanese bomb Pearl Harbour.

I share this because of the horrible memories Mr Afflecks movie created for me.

Read if you dare...
Two teenagers remarked in the theatre that there was no way the movie could be accurate, as "the Americans would simply nuke the Japs back to the stone age if they ever tried to attack them."

I ruined King Kong for a friend, by mentioning that the ape dies at the end.

Funny thing was he even knew of the iconic image of King Kong on top of the empire state building. I guess he just never thought about what could possibly happen after that.

Necronic

Staff member
Its all supposed to be in spoiler tags. You're not doing it right! Also seriously I am going to put in a horrible spoiler recently.

is not wanting to know a twist/ending to a work of fiction stupid?
No. However, I think the original intent of the thread was to explore if there are exceptions to this. Particularly in works based on historical events, most of which are common knowledge. Knowing that the british lose in a movie about the american revolution should not be considered a spoiler.

The other addendum expressed is if a movie or work is old enough and referenced enough to be common knowledge. Though, this one, I will admit, can be hard to define. Nearly everyone knows the who Luke's dad is, or the state of Bruce Willis's liveliness, but if I knew someone who honestly did not, I would not want to spoil such thing for them.

is not wanting to know a twist/ending to a work of fiction stupid?

Look man, if I'm watching Citizen Kane and you don't know that Rosebud is a sled, you're a dipshit and deserve to have the "twist" ruined.

Bruce Willis is a ghost in the Sixth Sense.
Added at: 21:47
The Japanese bomb Pearl Harbour.

I share this because of the horrible memories Mr Afflecks movie created for me.

Read if you dare...
Two teenagers remarked in the theatre that there was no way the movie could be accurate, as "the Americans would simply nuke the Japs back to the stone age if they ever tried to attack them."

I get that they're morons, but we did nuke them...

fade

Staff member
n. -- the reverse airfoil placed on the rear of a aerodynamic land vehicle to generate lift towards the ground in order to compensate for the decreased traction due to the effect of lift on the aerodynamic car. Often used to exaggerated effect by car designers, rednecks, and guidos.

n. -- the reverse airfoil placed on the rear of a aerodynamic land vehicle to generate lift towards the ground in order to compensate for the decreased traction due to the effect of lift on the aerodynamic car. Often used to exaggerated effect by car designers, rednecks, and guidos.
I smell what you did there.

This reminds me of when I actually did feel a sense of disappointment that the Spartans didn't all make it out of 300 alive.

Dave

Staff member
The Titanic sinks. Jack dies and floats away turning blue. Rose gets old & throws the jewelry into the ocean.

of wood chucked by a woodchuck is dependent on the woodchuck's ability to chuck wood for extended periods, assuming that the premise of a woodchuck chucking wood is valid

I was once told that I ruined Indiana Jones by explaining that he doesn't die in the end. Apparently they didn't understand that the box set of all three movies they were holding implied that he survives the first one.

The Allies win WWII, Robin Hood wins, Capone goes to jail on tax evasion charges, James Bond lives, Robin dies, Dave likes the Redskins.

Let's be honest, if she didn't know that Julius Ceasar gets brutally murdered and get backstabbed by his friend Brutus, in which, "E tu Brute?" shaped modern world, I feel that it's your OBLIGATION to spoil the entire amazing Rome series.

Seriously, didn't people learn anything in school? That is what this subject should now be about. Bad education systems.

Rome is a great series, I feel bad for those who never watched it.

Status
Not open for further replies.