Yo, The 2009 Year in Sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

Qonas

I've had it because clearly there is no justice in the sports world this year (outside of USC being exposed).

Brett Favre, not the Packers, getting revenge?! A-freaking-Rod and the Yankees?? Michigan losing to a horrible Ron Zook-coached 1-6 team thanks to a defense that played like a sieve and a goal-line drive ruined by refs not replaying the 3rd down run that scored but was whistled dead instead??? Michigan State being Michigan State???? The Red Wings being struck with an injury epidemic right when they are finally somewhat affected by the salary cap????? The Lions being the Lions?????? BRETT FUCKING FAVRE?!?!?!?! :mad2: :censored: :explode: :censored: :mad2:

The 2009 Year in Sports?? Kiss my ass!!!! :angry:

B

Biardo

In normal sports (outside the US) it's been a pretty fair year

Q

Qonas

2009 rules since the Red Wings didn't win no kind of stanley cups
See and I've got no problem there. The Wings have been absolutely fantastic since the mid-90s, and they deserve a nice break where they make the playoffs but are out in the 1st or 2nd round. But Franzen out for a year? Filppula gone for a month and a half? Hudler bailing for Russia? Samuelsson forgetting his lessons as a Red Wing and leaving for money? And the best front office/general management in all of professional sports, still not addressing the goaltending situation? All while filling spots with talented but inexperienced minor leaguers?

ARGH! :mad2:

Dave

Staff member
Iowa Hawkeyes 9-0 and the Dallas Cowboys tied for 1st place in their division?

Seems okay to me.

C

Chazwozel

Steelers win Superbowl.
Penguins win Stanley Cup.
Yankees about to win World Series.
Hershey Bears win Calder cup

The only bad part of 2009 for me was Penn State losing in the Rose Bowl, but it's hard to beat the goddamn Trojans.

2010 seasons thus far:
Penn State 8-1.
Penguins running a descent season thus far with Malkin, Talbot, and Gonchar out.
Steelers still up there in wins, running a solid season.

2009 was a great sports season!

M

meyoumeyou

I would ignore any and all bad aspects of the year if:

a) Alabama didn't make it out of the year undefeated and likely on the way too a national championship.

b) (and way more important here) Al Davis' old decrepit ass finally kicking it.

Q

Qonas

I might, MIGHT, be able to swallow everything that's happened if we take Ohio State out to the woodshed. But seeing how the Michigan defense STILL is unable to handle running QBs? No chance.

2010 seasons thus far:
Penn State 8-1.
Who was that loss to again?[/QUOTE]

Dave, you're getting real close to Yankee/Buckeye douchiness now. I realize Iowa is normally nationally unimportant so this #4 in the BCS bit is a big thing for you, but careful. :p

Dave

Staff member
I might, MIGHT, be able to swallow everything that's happened if we take Ohio State out to the woodshed. But seeing how the Michigan defense STILL is unable to handle running QBs? No chance.

2010 seasons thus far:
Penn State 8-1.
Who was that loss to again?
Dave, you're getting real close to Yankee/Buckeye douchiness now. I realize Iowa is normally nationally unimportant so this #4 in the BCS bit is a big thing for you, but careful. :p[/QUOTE]

I so seldom get to do this that it's liberating! And for the record, they are lucky as shit to have their record. The only reason they are #4 in the BCS is because of the record itself, certainly not the quality of the wins. My worst fear is that they'll get past Ohio State and go undefeated, yet still be out of the national championship game. Most likely with Texas, Florida and Alabama in front of them they'll end up playing Oregon Ducks in the Rose Bowl, which will be a fucking blowout.

As to Chaz saying Iowa is not Penn State's rival...Wha-? Iowa is the one that fucks PS over every year. This year they put the word REVENGE up large as they could. The game against Iowa was the one they wanted more than any other. And they lost it.

Let's see if Iowa looks past Northwestern and gets bit in the ass.

C

Chazwozel

2010 seasons thus far:
Penn State 8-1.
Who was that loss to again?
Dave, you're getting real close to Yankee/Buckeye douchiness now. I realize Iowa is normally nationally unimportant so this #4 in the BCS bit is a big thing for you, but careful. :p[/QUOTE]

I so seldom get to do this that it's liberating! And for the record, they are lucky as shit to have their record. The only reason they are #4 in the BCS is because of the record itself, certainly not the quality of the wins. My worst fear is that they'll get past Ohio State and go undefeated, yet still be out of the national championship game. Most likely with Texas, Florida and Alabama in front of them they'll end up playing Oregon Ducks in the Rose Bowl, which will be a fucking blowout.

As to Chaz saying Iowa is not Penn State's rival...Wha-? Iowa is the one that fucks PS over every year. This year they put the word REVENGE up large as they could. The game against Iowa was the one they wanted more than any other. And they lost it.

Let's see if Iowa looks past Northwestern and gets bit in the ass.[/QUOTE]

If you think we get riled up for Iowa games, you've obviously never gone to an Ohio State- Penn State game.

Dave

Staff member
I've only been to one football game in my life - college or pro - EVER. And that was the Iowa/UCLA Rose Bowl when Ronnie Harmon fumbled the ball 5 times...and later admitted to doing so for gambling purposes.

Q

Qonas

I will say this; remember 2002? The national champion Ohio State Buckeyes? Yeah, they weren't a great or national championship-worthy team either. Yet they lucked their way straight to the title, even beating a nearly unstoppable Miami thanks to those lucky ass breaks. So it's certainly happened before in history that a team running on luck gets to the championship. What you have to hope for is LSU to beat Alabama this weekend, then Florida losing in the SEC Championship.

And just to further drive home the point that this was the absolute worst weekend in sports ever, during the worst year in sports ever, here are some choice quotes from today's sport radio show here in the Motor City:

Minnesota's Adam Weber is standing back there, not moving, just asking who wants to make a big play this time. ZIP, there's 80 yards to some white guy. Hey you, random JuCo transfer whose name I don't know, ZIP! 40 yards! Lets not forget about my tight ends, even though I slept with his girlfriend, ZIP! 30 yards!

Minnesota couldn't score in a whorehouse, but don't worry here comes Michigan State! And they're wearing thigh-highs! Legs in the air, gentlemen!

Marcus Hide, I hope you didn't drop your purse trying to make that tackle! Were you trying to give Minnesota's Bennett a thigh massage?

Is there something in the recruiting staffs for both schools that keeps them from recognizing safeties who know what the hell they're doing?

Backed up on your own 1, on the road, at night, Cousins just threw a touchdown pass....IN GOES NICHOL!!! I don't care what promises were made to his family, if any, GET OUT OF MY SCHOOL!!! GET OFF THE FIELD!!! You want an earpiece, hold a clipboard, hop on. Cousins is our quarterback!

Oh yes you are a genius Richard, please diagram another offensive play for us Richard. HOW ABOUT DIAGRAMMING A DEFENSE?!

Our whole weekend was shot! There wasn't a single down of good football played all weekend, and it doesn't matter which team you root for or if you root for them all.

I have never in my life seen someone throw a Hail Mary pass into the STANDS.

Hell who needs a Hail Mary if you're playing Michigan, just run the read option with a running QB.

If fans were heckling Stafford with a few blankety-blanks, then it makes sense for Dominic to stand up for him; but for Raiola to open his fat mouth and run down the fans for saying "I was open too" after that confusing Hail Mary pass is a joke. And this comes after him flipping fans the bird and many other times he's talked smack to them in interviews? Get out of town Dom!

Central Michigan had a chance this week to escape the Pizza-Pizza Bowl, and just laid down.

What Lions fans have had to deal with, Sunday in and Sunday out, is unmatched in sports. Clippers fans may lay a claim, but Lions fandom and crapping the bed goes beyond the formation of the Clippers by 30+ years.

When I see players like Percy Harvin and Jeremy Maclin making an impact, Michael Orr starting on his offensive line, and our pick was Tight End Brandon Pettigrew?? He's going to have to be a combination of Calvin and Tony Gonzalez.

"Everything was just about over and we didn't want a blocked punt, so we lined up for the hail mary. But they had 5 men all the way across on the line so we just told Matt to throw it out of bounds. We just didn't want to run the risk of a blocked punt." What?! The only thing missing from this quote was a Wayne Fontes snowflake sweater. Of course the Rams had 5 guys all across the goal line, YOU WERE THROWING A HAIL MARY PASS!

2010 seasons thus far:
Penn State 8-1.
Who was that loss to again?[/QUOTE]

Dave, there's a reason why we Penn State fans usually don't give a crap about Iowa. ;) I'd say Ohio and Michigan are our true big rivals.[/QUOTE]

Pfft. All these years and it still feels like Penn State's an interloper in the Big Ten. You people shit on the decades-old rivalries that made you what you are today. Who in the Big Ten will say that Penn State is one of their rivals? Ohio State? Michigan? Don't fool yourself.

Q

Qonas

Penn State feels like a Big 10 member, IS a Big Ten member, and while not a hatred-fueled Ohio State/Notre Dame-like rival of Michigan they definitely are a "they're good, have history and tradition too" competitive rival. And JoePa is quite possibly my favorite person of all-time.

Don't you mountain folk have Pitt to worry about or something?

Penn State feels like a Big 10 member, IS a Big Ten member, and while not a hatred-fueled Ohio State/Notre Dame-like rival of Michigan they definitely are a "they're good, have history and tradition too" competitive rival. And JoePa is quite possibly my favorite person of all-time.

None of that history or tradition was ever with the Big Ten. It was always against the other big Eastern schools. If JoePa's beloved "Eastern sports conference" had ever come to be, he wouldn't have gone near the Big Ten. Eastern football is his first love, and he'll hold a grudge against WVU, Syracuse, and Pitt until the day he dies for not making that conference a reality.

He only went to the Big Ten out of spite. Any "rivalries" there is mere cloth constructed by ESPN and other hangers-on.

C

Chazwozel

None of that history or tradition was ever with the Big Ten. It was always against the other big Eastern schools. If JoePa's beloved "Eastern sports conference" had ever come to be, he wouldn't have gone near the Big Ten. Eastern football is his first love, and he'll hold a grudge against WVU, Syracuse, and Pitt until the day he dies for not making that conference a reality.

He only went to the Big Ten out of spite. Any "rivalries" there is mere cloth constructed by ESPN and other hangers-on.[/QUOTE]

I love my Pens and my Steelers. I loathe Pitt, but it is hilarious how much Pitt fans hate Penn State and how little Penn Staters care about that 'rivalry'.

I love my Pens and my Steelers. I loathe Pitt, but it is hilarious how much Pitt fans hate Penn State and how little Penn Staters care about that 'rivalry'.
Penn State won't play Pitt again as long as Paterno's alive. When they did play, down here we'd root for 44 simultaneous ACL tears.

C

Chazwozel

Penn State won't play Pitt again as long as Paterno's alive. When they did play, down here we'd root for 44 simultaneous ACL tears.[/QUOTE]

I know that State won't play Pitt. But thing is we don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.