Export thread

YOU BASTARDS!!!

Dave

Dave

Why did nobody remind me that "A Dance With Dragons" came out this week?!? You fuckers failed me!

Prepare for your demise!

Gryfter

Gryfter

Simple, we are busy reading it.... duh.

Dave

Dave

:mad:

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Oh! Dave! I forgot to tell you!

A Dance of the Dragons comes out this week.

*life-banned*

Dave

Dave

Fear my wrath!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Added at: 13:19
Added at: 13:19
I'LL FUCKING KILL YOU!!!!!
Added at: 13:32

I think my rage just broke.

figmentPez

figmentPez

So, what's "A Dance With Dragons" anyway?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Some Lord of the Rings wannabe, probably.

Dave

Dave

phil

phil

I heard it was a medieval high school's prom.

SOUNDS LIKE DAVE'S PROM NIGHT!

BAM!

THAT JUST HAPPENED!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

AW SNAP!! Who's the bitch NOW?

Dave

Dave

Your broken image, dumbshit. :rofl:

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I only watch the TV shows, man. It don't come on TV for another 4 years so idgaf

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Nobody told you because nerd rage is hilarious

@Li3n

@Li3n

Didn't people mention how in Germany it got sent out early and other stuff all last week?

Baerdog

Baerdog

*waits for the paperback*

@Li3n

@Li3n

BTW, no spoilers, but do they by any chance reveal Jon Snow's mother? Saw some stuff on the around that was a confirmation of my suspicions, but i stop reading at once because of the spoiler potential.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Dave, your 4e nerd rage in that other thread reminded me, I think you'd really like the pnp rpg Pendragon. You play as a line of knights in service to Camelot, one heir at a time. Your characters are expected to die, either at war or of old age.

There's an official campaign for it that's 90 sessions long that takes place over the course of 90 years.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I gave you your copy on the 12th Dave, it's in your bathroom, on the toilet, underneath your hat. And your glasses are on your head.

Senility folks, it ain't pretty.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Waiting for paperback, so it's technically not even out yet.

Dei

Dei

@li3N

I have 3 chapters left and have seen strong hints to the popular theory, but nothing really flat out. It may pop up in the last 3 chapters though, who knows. Though you do find out reasons behind some events of the past.

ALSO

Sadly, I don't feel like this book was worth waiting 6 years for. Less happens than in a middle of the series WoT book I swear to god. I can see the potential for bad ass in the next book mind you, but this book is just more set up.

Dei

Dei

(Maybe this thread should be moved and renamed, unless we just want to make a new one for Dance in the Media forum)

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I'd say we keep this one for making fun of Dave and then have a dedicated one in Media.

Dave

Dave

I have it and I'm reading it, no thanks to you guys.

Gusto

Gusto

I have it and I'm reading it, no thanks to you guys.
Whatever man, I ain't your dad.

@Li3n

@Li3n

@li3N

I have 3 chapters left and have seen strong hints to the popular theory, but nothing really flat out. It may pop up in the last 3 chapters though, who knows. Though you do find out reasons behind some events of the past.
Funny thing is that i haven't read the books (when my friend recommended it to me the show was already in the planning stages, and LotR taught me that reading the books [after i saw the 1st film] will just make me nitpick the show to death and enjoy it less), but i did read the description of the Starks on wiki and seeing how Jon came to Winterfell him being a you know what was my 1st thought... and i didn't even know the other details before seeing the show and reading up on the dead during rebellion Starks ...

Plus, reading a series while it's not finish just leads to pointless stress...

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Wait, so is this the spoiler thread now, or no?

Anyone else think that the introduction of "young griff" was a bit sudden? I know there's been a few hints in previous books, but this still felt a little abrupt

@Li3n

@Li3n

Well i didn't say anything that would be on the back of the book as an introduction to it... and Dei said even less, i don;t know why spoiler tags where even used in his/her post there.

Dave

Dave

Did he just....Oh no he didn't! Oh shit!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Looking over Wikipedia:

"After A Storm of Swords was completed in 2000, Martin began writing A Dance with Dragons, the intended fourth volume which would pick up the story five years after the previous volume. Martin found it difficult to make this work without an over-reliance on flashbacks. At the World Science Fiction Convention in Philadelphia on 1 September 2001, Martin announced that he was scrapping more than a year's work and writing a different fourth book that would fill in the gap, named A Feast for Crows. He found it extremely difficult to go back and start again, especially as this novel was not planned for in his scheme for the series, and work on the book progressed slowly.

y May 2005, A Feast for Crows had become longer than A Storm of Swords (the manuscript for which had been 1521 pages) and Martin's publishers said they could not publish the book in one volume.[16] They suggested splitting the book in two and releasing the volumes as A Feast for Crows, Volume I and A Feast for Crows, Volume II, but Martin was unhappy with this idea. After discussing the matter with his publishers and his friend and fellow writer Daniel Abraham, Martin decided to split the book by character and location instead. The published A Feast for Crows thus contained all of the characters in the South of the Seven Kingdoms, while A Dance with Dragons contains the characters in the North, the Free Cities and in Slaver's Bay."

No wonder it took so long. There were two books there he never intended to even write, and probably by dividing it geographically instead of chronologically made it so he had to fit things for the 5th book to the 4th rather than just continuing along and having the freedom to change some things if needed from effects happening concurrently elsewhere.

I imagine the next two books will go along more quickly and smoothly for him to write since he'll be going to back to the usual structure. Apparently he's already written 100 pages of book 6. So hopefully it won't be another incredible wait.

Dei

Dei

Once I read Dance, I could see exactly what writer's blocked him so bad. (Also, 100 pages of Book 6 means NOTHING, he had a shit load of content done for Dance going into it. The man is totally perfectionist to a fault, and he could just as easily throw all that written material away if he randomly decides he hates it.)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Once I read Dance, I could see exactly what writer's blocked him so bad. (Also, 100 pages of Book 6 means NOTHING, he had a shit load of content done for Dance going into it. The man is totally perfectionist to a fault, and he could just as easily throw all that written material away if he randomly decides he hates it.)
I don't blame him; plenty of writers reach a point in their narrative where they think up a better idea than they'd planned and need to go back and change everything leading up to there.

Nonetheless, I have a strong feeling the next two books will not be the challenge this was because of returning to form AND since that's where he wanted to start things in the first place, and only did books 4 and 5 because he didn't like telling all this stuff in flashbacks.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

So is The Winds of Winter going to be 5 years forward or A Feast of Crows, part 3?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

5 years forward from Storm of Swords. So just measure how much time has passed since the end of Dance, and subtract that from 5.

Unless he's changed his over-arching plan.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Well, the first 4 books happened over the course of 2 years and Dance is more or less in the same timeframe as Feast plus a few months, so if Winds is 5 years forward from Storm, it's still basically going to be 3-4 years forward from Dance.

So Jon's (presumed) salvation is going to happen in flashback?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Can't check spoiler and continue discussion much since I'm only 600 pages into book one. But like I said, he may have changed his plan since 2001.

@Li3n

@Li3n

BTW, no spoilers, but do they by any chance reveal Jon Snow's mother? Saw some stuff on the around that was a confirmation of my suspicions, but i stop reading at once because of the spoiler potential.
So, anyone who finished care to answer this?

Dei

Dei

They don't.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Dammit, i really want to be able to rub it in already...

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

They don't, but I feel like that reveal is coming in the next book, unless its another "Too many POV characters so these guys get their own book" book.

At this point, either the popular theory is spot-on, or he's setting up for the biggest "HA-HAH!" ever

Dave

Dave

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I truly think she was in the book. And I think she even had speaking lines...

Dei

Dei

He did shoot down a possible mother.

Dei

Dei

Also, if Jon's mother had speaking lines in DwD, then the popular theory gets shot to hell.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Also, if Jon's mother had speaking lines in DwD, then the popular theory gets shot to hell.
Well, it wouldn't be the first time GRRM played with expectations. :p

@Li3n

@Li3n

As long as Stark isn't the father i'm fine...

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Are we making this the full-on spoiler thread, btw? No one's created one in the Media sub-group yet, so I dunno if there's need for one, but I don't want to accidentally ruin it for someone.