Export thread

You know how Canadian Mountain Dew has no caffeine?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Well, it seems that may change.
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100319/health/health_caffeine_beverages

Health Canada announced Friday it is authorizing the use of caffeine as a food additive in all carbonated soft drinks, not just cola-type beverages. Beverage companies will be allowed to add synthetic caffeine to non-cola soft drinks in concentrations no higher than 150 parts per million. The maximum amount of caffeine allowed in colas is 200 parts per million.

Similar levels of caffeine are currently allowed in non-cola soft drinks outside Canada, including the United States and Europe.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Neckbeards across Canada rejoice.

Gusto

Gusto

No longer will my DnD will marred by unsightly naptimes!

Dave

Dave

I had no idea Canadian Mountain Dew had no caffeine.

Big win for the Pepsi company. Now people will get addicted, drink more and get fat. Just like the good old US of A.

Rob King

Rob King

:(

I hate American Mountain Dew. I love caffeine-less, Canadian Mountain Dew.

Gusto

Gusto

I too am sad.

Shakey

Shakey

They do make caffeine free Mt Dew. I'm guessing it's the same as what you have now, so you should still be able to get it.

Baerdog

Baerdog

I am shocked and appalled that Canadian Mountain Dew does not have caffeine.

Dusty668

Well since they are still using sugar and not HFCS they won't get as fat.

Jake

Jake

Why on earth would someone drink Mountain Dew if there was no caffeine? It tastes like a Sprite enema.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Some arcane law that disallows caffeine in carbonated drinks that aren't dark.

Companies had been loopholing around it by claiming their drinks as "natural health products" like energy drinks and the like. So we had, I believe, Mountain Dew SPORT! and the like for a while.

Morphine

Morphine

Funny how a "health" department approves something that is going to make the beverage "less healthy"

Chibibar

Mt Dew Thorwback!!!!! (made with pure cane sugar)

figmentPez

figmentPez

I had no idea Canadian Mountain Dew had no caffeine.
Ditto. *Insert obligatory "Why would someone drink it without caffeine?" joke*

Kidding, I'd drink Mt. Dew without the caffeine. I can't have any caffeine at all, not even decaf tea, because even small amounts throw me for a loop. Not sure why.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Why on earth would someone drink Mountain Dew if there was no caffeine? It tastes like a Sprite enema.
Usually I completely agree, but there are some days when I really want one. I can never drink more than 1/4 of a can, though. It's too syrupy.

Roxxoredizorz

HOORAY! Now Mountain Dew doesn't taste like flavoured water!

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I remember hearing about caffeine-free Dew when I was in my early 20's from a London, Ontario nurse. I was appalled. Now, that I primarily drink coffee and tea, I couldn't care less if soda had caffeine or not.

Vagabond

V.Bond

It's absolutley reprehensible that such a thing was going on.

I'm going to find those responsible, and give them a stern talking to. That's how you dole out justice in Canada, right?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Companies had been loopholing around it by claiming their drinks as "natural health products" like energy drinks and the like. So we had, I believe, Mountain Dew SPORT! and the like for a while.[/QUOTE]

It might have just been called something differeny there, but here it was "Mountain Dew FUEL", then just "Dew Fuel", and I think now its just called "Mountain Dew Energy".

All moot now, I guess.

I had a friend in Scouts with a kidney problem, couldn't drink caffeine. Love Sprite and 7Up though. I wonder what he'll do now.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

I had a friend in Scouts with a kidney problem, couldn't drink caffeine. Love Sprite and 7Up though. I wonder what he'll do now.
Whay doesn't he drink Sprite and 7Up?

Covar

Covar

anyone else find 7up disgusting?

*sips on coffee*

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Now Canada can boldly join the ranks of civilized nations, and drink their nerd fuel with pride.

Chibibar

Now Canada can boldly join the ranks of civilized nations, and drink their nerd fuel with pride.
LOL. while I LOVE my mt. Dew and my Throwback Mt. Dew (even more!) I have to giggle with Morphine on a health department promoting unhealthy drink.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Companies had been loopholing around it by claiming their drinks as "natural health products" like energy drinks and the like. So we had, I believe, Mountain Dew SPORT! and the like for a while.[/QUOTE]

It might have just been called something differeny there, but here it was "Mountain Dew FUEL", then just "Dew Fuel", and I think now its just called "Mountain Dew Energy".

All moot now, I guess.

I had a friend in Scouts with a kidney problem, couldn't drink caffeine. Love Sprite and 7Up though. I wonder what he'll do now.[/QUOTE]

No, you have the names right. I couldn't remember the names since I never drank them.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Whay doesn't he drink Sprite and 7Up?[/QUOTE]

Because the American versions actually do have some caffeine in them (Unless something has changed since 2001. I remember seeing a news report on it, and actually remember what year it was because it was right before I went on a road trip with the Scouts to PEI) , and now Health Canada is allowing caffeine in all carbonated beverages, so that's bound to happen.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

The answer is root beer. No caffeine there.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Because the American versions actually do have some caffeine in them (Unless something has changed since 2001. I remember seeing a news report on it, and actually remember what year it was because it was right before I went on a road trip with the Scouts to PEI) , and now Health Canada is allowing caffeine in all carbonated beverages, so that's bound to happen.[/QUOTE]

7Up and Sprite have CAFFEINE in the US?

I've been living in the wrong country all these years...

Of course, if I lived in the US, instead of being just relatively unfit, overweight and with a mild addiction to caffeine, I'd probably have died from a heart attack thanks to my unlimited love for unhealthy food and caffeinated beverages.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Because the American versions actually do have some caffeine in them (Unless something has changed since 2001. I remember seeing a news report on it, and actually remember what year it was because it was right before I went on a road trip with the Scouts to PEI) , and now Health Canada is allowing caffeine in all carbonated beverages, so that's bound to happen.[/QUOTE]

7Up and Sprite have CAFFEINE in the US?

I've been living in the wrong country all these years...

Of course, if I lived in the US, instead of being just relatively unfit, overweight and with a mild addiction to caffeine, I'd probably have died from a heart attack thanks to my unlimited love for unhealthy food and caffeinated beverages.[/QUOTE]

Sprite and 7up don't have caffeine in the states.

As for Rootbeer, watch out for Barques. It has bite. actually caffeine

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Who'd drink Barq's when there's A&W available?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Caffeine junkies.

Baerdog

Baerdog

Who'd drink A&W when there's Barq's available?

Kitty Sinatra

Who'd drink either when there's Guinness available?

Rob King

Rob King

Be careful! You're going to get stuck in a --

Who'd drink A&W when there's Barq's available?[/QUOTE]Who'd drink Barq's when there's A&W available?[/QUOTE]
Who'd drink A&W when there's Barq's available?[/QUOTE]Who'd drink Barq's when there's A&W available?[/QUOTE]
Who'd drink A&W when there's Barq's available?[/QUOTE]

-- loop ...

Cajungal

Cajungal

Who'd drink A&W when there's Barq's available?[/QUOTE]

I agree. A+W is good, but it's a little sweeter than Barq's. Barq's ...I hate to take a cue from their ads... but it really does have more of a "bite" to it, according to my taste buds, anyway. Not that I'd turn down A+W. Root beer is my favorite soda lately.

Covar

Covar

Mugs.

Shakey

Shakey

Yesssssssssssssssss.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Wanna know why Barq's is worse than A&W? When you pour Barq's into a frosty mug, it fizzes. When you pour A&W, it foams.

Chazwozel

Mug = Worst root beer ever.

Here you kids go.

Whoops sorry. Mugs is actually ok. I was thinking of Barqs

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

IBC makes some good sodas. Their Cream Soda is like crack.

Krisken

Krisken

IBC and Sprecher are great root beers.

We have a local place that makes a fantstic root beer. Unfortunately, I have to either order it at the restaurant or get a grog.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Here you kids go.

Whoops sorry. Mugs is actually ok. I was thinking of Barqs
Well, of course the smaller, more premium root beers are likely to be better than the international brands.

Shakey

Shakey

Damn them and their fancy bottles made of glass.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Here you kids go.

Oh, man, I forgot about IBC. That one's the best. My grandma always keeps em for me. :)

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Now I am nostalgic for

Cajungal

Cajungal

Well if a creepy elf guy says I'll love it...

Jake

Jake

IBC is okay, but this is the straight tits:

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

They make some good beer too.