[Movies] Your 2011 Oscar Nominees!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Leonardo DiCaprio not getting a nod is probably the biggest snub, but Brooks getting left off the ballot is pretty bad as well.

Kung-Fu Panda 2's only real accomplishment to this point is being better than Cars 2. It was a really low bar for animated movies this year.

Bridesmaids I haven't seen yet, so I'll refrain from comment.

Also, in her defense, McCarthy was the best part of the funniest movie of the year. And everyone says comedic acting is harder than dramatic acting. AND the Academy is notoriously loath to reward any comedies, so I think it's a good thing.

Dave

Staff member
I still think that "The World Glow" would make an excellent soundtrack song.

As for the rest, I haven't seen many of them.

Also, in her defense, McCarthy was the best part of the funniest movie of the year. And everyone says comedic acting is harder than dramatic acting. AND the Academy is notoriously loath to reward any comedies, so I think it's a good thing.
McCarthy was good in Bridesmaids (I would agree with your statement that she was the best part, but I also thought it was a fairly mediocre movie -- it does not bode well for the quality of cinema in 2011 if Bridesmaids is considered the funniest movie of the year. I found the protagonist to be completely whiny and infuriating, and it completely turned me off to the whole movie. I didn't blame the best friend in the slightest for wanting to hang out with the other chick instead. But I digress.) However, McCarthy was really a minor part of the film; should the Academy have given Zach Galifianakis an Oscar nomination for his equally-memorable part in The Hangover?

I wouldn't have been that upset if Galifanakis got nominated, at all. I do think Bridesmaids was a lot better movie than Hangover, though. I'm curious what movies you thought were a lot better/funnier in 2011?

I don't think it was a great year for comedy -- at least based on what I've seen -- but off the top of my head, Crazy, Stupid, Love was way funnier than Bridesmaids (which I really did think I would love -- I'm a big fan of most Apatow films. Maybe it was just Kristin Wiig's constantly annoying the shit out of me that ruined it, I don't know. I liked the Hangover much better, but I haven't seen the Hangover II yet.) Horrible Bosses gets a mention as well--I might not have laughed out loud as many times as I did with Bridesmaids, but I still think I found it funnier overall. I also wouldn't be surprised if I found The Muppets funnier from what I've heard about it, even though I haven't actually had a chance to see it yet either.

I didn't see that. That's pretty silly of them. It was an animated feature.
There's a big back and forth on that between actors and animators right now. Many actors, led chiefly by Andy Serkis, are making the case that Mo- cap is 100% their performance, because they have no idea how mo-cap actually works, while many animators are fighting to get recognition for mo-cap because they have to spend months tweaking the performances to fit the rigs, push poses to look less rigid, move them more fluidly to try and keep it out of the uncanny valley, and often just simply reanimate it using the original only as reference. Neither side is right, and neither side is getting the recognition they deserve from the other or from anyone else in the academy.

Any photos as a tribute to The Artist that are only tribute by being in black and white should be thrown out

umm... There could be some cool pictures for Drive, I'd think.

Status
Not open for further replies.