Zelda for your mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aisaku

Have played it, it as good, if a bit hard to play due to my cellphone's keys being a bit awkward...

Shannow

Staff member
Eh, touch screens in general. I have an impression, so i get the 4 arrows on the bottom of the screen, but its not quite good enough. They say they are actually working on touch screen support, so i guess I will wait for that.

G

Gadzooks

stienman said:
iPhone feels left out. Poor iPhone.

-Adam
fuck apple/AT&T/whoever won't let iPhones use flash and such. My blackjack 2, same Internet plan was capable of java and so much more.

And where's my gorram mms?

Shannow

Staff member
Im trying to see if that final fantasy 1 mobile was released by square yet. I would love to have that on my phone.

I seem to have grown tired of Zelda over the past half a decade it seems. I think my Nintendo DS is to blame. On it I played A Link To The Past, Minish Cap & Phantom Hourglass and then there's the two N64 versions (Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask) which I bought on my Wii.

Problem with all of them, is the repetitive and tedious way you have to rethread on old grounds whenever you get a new toy. It's dull, old fashioned and worst of all, terrible game design. I mean, the typical Zelda game works like this:

*Link enters dungeon*
*Link spends half an hour fighting his way through the dungeon*
*Link finds several passages he can't access because he lacks some tool*
*Link finds some item or some baddy which he defeats*
*Link suddenly finds that he can't do much more in the dungeon after wasting another half an hour making sure*
*several hours later, in a different part of the world, Link gets a new skill or weapon*
*Link enters dungeon again*
*Link spends another half an hour fighting his way through the SAME dungeon, doing the SAME lame challenges*
*Link finds a few passages he STILL can't access because he STILL lacks some tool*
*Link finds a few passages he CAN now finally access! Yay!*
*Link enters the new passages and after half an hour, finds he's done all he can again*
*Link goes out again, goes to find the next iteemmmmmmmzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Seriously, this is 2009, not 1989. Replaying huge chunks is dull and a very cheap way to add length to a game. Now if the combat was all that fun, I wouldn't complain, but it's been the same for the past 25 years ffs!

I like games that are not linear but Zelda has always been taking the piss. As a kid when I had more free time, I was more forgiving but as an adult who doesn't have that much free time left, it gets frustrating having to waste my time fighting my way through the same dungeon yet again to see if my new weapon or skill can open a new corridor.

never played zelda. Thought I'd give it a shot.

App won't work with my touchscreen-only phone. Not because of the app, but because the phone sucks and has no way to pop up soft-keys to emulate button presses when apps are running. Heh.

R

Rubicon

Shegokigo said:
But but but iPhone can do WoW Armory!
http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/World-o ... _6059.html

Now you can look at your equipment and other people's equipment from anywhere! Oh my!
I don't get why thats so special? I mean, yea its handy to have it directly as an app but doesnt the iphone have a built in webbrowser? If so couldn't you simply just visit wowarmory.com and put in a toon name like you normally do and get the exact same thing without needing an app?

Sometimes I think people just make/use apps for the sake of using it rather than functionality or usefulness

R

Rubicon

Shegokigo said:
Did the sarcasm really not come across? I thought I laid it on thick enough....
No I got your sarcasm

I was speaking from a general standpoint. Like, why would someone take the time to write an entire app for this with 5 seconds typing in a URL can get you the same functionality without extra help needed?

Mav said:
Shegokigo said:
No I got your sarcasm

I was speaking from a general standpoint. Like, why would someone take the time to write an entire app for this with 5 seconds typing in a URL can get you the same functionality without extra help needed?
They own an iPhone in the first place, why not walk the extra useless mile?

Mav said:
Shegokigo said:
No I got your sarcasm

The armory uses flash I am pretty sure, therefore it cannot be rendered in the iPhone's Safari app.

O

Olorin

AngelofBitterness said:
I seem to have grown tired of Zelda over the past half a decade it seems. I think my Nintendo DS is to blame. On it I played A Link To The Past, Minish Cap & Phantom Hourglass and then there's the two N64 versions (Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask) which I bought on my Wii.

Problem with all of them, is the repetitive and tedious way you have to rethread on old grounds whenever you get a new toy. It's dull, old fashioned and worst of all, terrible game design. I mean, the typical Zelda game works like this:

*Link enters dungeon*
*Link suddenly finds that he can't do much more in the dungeon after wasting another half an hour making sure*
*several hours later, in a different part of the world, Link gets a new skill or weapon*
*Link spends another half an hour fighting his way through the SAME dungeon, doing the SAME lame challenges*
*Link finds a few passages he STILL can't access because he STILL lacks some tool*
*Link enters the new passages and after half an hour, finds he's done all he can again*
*Link goes out again, goes to find the next iteemmmmmmmzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Seriously, this is 2009, not 1989. Replaying huge chunks is dull and a very cheap way to add length to a game. Now if the combat was all that fun, I wouldn't complain, but it's been the same for the past 25 years ffs!

I like games that are not linear but Zelda has always been taking the *. As a kid when I had more free time, I was more forgiving but as an adult who doesn't have that much free time left, it gets frustrating having to waste my time fighting my way through the same dungeon yet again to see if my new weapon or skill can open a new corridor.
I haven't played Phantom Hourglass and Majora's Mask, but the thing you describe happens very rarely in Zelda games. Most of the time the weapons/items needed in a dungeon are weapons/items you already have, plus the one you find in that dungeon. It's been a while since I've played Minish Cap, Ocarina and Link to the Past, but I actually can't think of any times where this happend (especially in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, which I've both replayed recently)
There are small 'dungeons' that you'll come across that need an item you may not have yet, but not real dungeons that are important for the main quest. And I think it's actually good design to hide things in plain sight.

about the mobile game: It's not an official Zelda game, so the maker will probably be forced to remove the game soon.

Shannow

Staff member
AngelofBitterness said:

*Link enters dungeon*

I like games that are not linear but Zelda has always been taking the piss. As a kid when I had more free time, I was more forgiving but as an adult who doesn't have that much free time left, it gets frustrating having to waste my time fighting my way through the same dungeon yet again to see if my new weapon or skill can open a new corridor.
yeah, I really hate those shooter games too. I mean, like ..left 4 dead...zombie comes up, you shoot it, and you move on...to more zombies that you shoot! zzzzzzzzzzzzzz Games are terrible! :eyeroll:

Shannow said:
yeah, I really hate those shooter games too. I mean, like ..left 4 dead...zombie comes up, you shoot it, and you move on...to more zombies that you shoot! zzzzzzzzzzzzzz Games are terrible! :eyeroll:
Bad analogy. Even though Left4Dead does get old and repetitive because there's too much repetition.

I haven't played Phantom Hourglass and Majora's Mask, but the thing you describe happens very rarely in Zelda games. Most of the time the weapons/items needed in a dungeon are weapons/items you already have, plus the one you find in that dungeon. It's been a while since I've played Minish Cap, Ocarina and Link to the Past, but I actually can't think of any times where this happend (especially in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, which I've both replayed recently)
There are small 'dungeons' that you'll come across that need an item you may not have yet, but not real dungeons that are important for the main quest. And I think it's actually good design to hide things in plain sight.
The older Zelda games did it a little differently - you still had dungeons where you could only progress to a several amount of rooms but you needed some special key or whatever to continue. It was obvious when you were supposed to find an item though so that's probably why you don't really recall.

Phantom Hourglass messed up big time. If wasting a lot of time at sea wasn't enough, trying to figure out which dungeon you were supposed to visit now was really lame. The game rarely gave you clues and I often wasted an hour trying to find the right dungeon. Every dungeon had to be revisited several times because you had to complete them in layers.

For example: one dungeon "poisoned" you (something to do with the hourglass) and unless you got the hourglass, you had no way of progressing. If course, the game didn't TELL you this the first time, so you may well have thought it was a puzzle so you ran ahead and actually did find some spots where you were safe but in the end, you needed the hourglass. Only when you returned with the hourglass, the game bothered to explain how it worked :facepalm:

And even worse: you got to replay half the dungeon to get to the "new" part of it. All monsters respawn, all puzzles have to be solved over and over again, etc. Why not just let all puzzles be solved? What god damn use is it for a puzzle to be redone every time you re-enter the room?

I'm sorry but that's terrible game design. I felt like I was wasting time playing the game. I guess Phantom Hourglass soured the Zelda experience for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.