Export thread

12 year old girl hauled out of school in handcuffs for doodling on her desk

Hylian

Hylian

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...2010-02-05_cuffed_for_doodling_on_a_desk.html

A 12-year-old Queens girl was hauled out of school in handcuffs for an artless offense - doodling her name on her desk in erasable marker, the Daily News has learned.
Alexa Gonzalez was scribbling a few words on her desk Monday while waiting for her Spanish teacher to pass out homework at Junior High School 190 in Forest Hills, she said.
\"I love my friends Abby and Faith,\" the girl wrote, adding the phrases \"Lex was here. 2/1/10\" and a smiley face.

But instead of simply cleaning off the doodles after class, Alexa landed in some adult-sized trouble for using her lime-green magic marker.

She was led out of school in cuffs and walked to the precinct across the street, where she was detained for several hours, she and her mother said.

\"I started crying, like, a lot,\" said Alexa. \"I made two little doodles. ... It could be easily erased. To put handcuffs on me is unnecessary.\" Alexa, who had a stellar attendance record, hasn't been back to school since, adding, \"I just thought I'd get a detention. I thought maybe I would have to clean [the desk].\"
\"She's been throwing up,\" said her mom, Moraima Camacho, 49, an accountant, who lives with her daughter in Kew Gardens. \"The whole situation has been a nightmare.\"

City officials acknowledged Alexa's arrest was a mistake.
\"We're looking at the facts,\" said City Education Department spokesman David Cantor. \"Based on what we've seen so far, this shouldn't have happened.\"

\"Even when we're asked to make an arrest, common sense should prevail, and discretion used in deciding whether an arrest or handcuffs are really necessary,\" said police spokesman Paul Browne.
Alexa is the latest in a string of city students who have been cuffed for minor infractions. In 2007, 13-year-old Chelsea Fraser was placed under arrest for writing \"okay\" on her desk at Intermediate School 201. And in 2008, 5-year-old Dennis Rivera was cuffed and sent to a psych ward after throwing a fit in his kindergarten.

A class action lawsuit was filed by the New York Civil Liberties Union last month against the city for using \"excessive force\" in middle school and high schools. A 12-year-old sixth-grader, identified in the lawsuit as M.M., was arrested in March 2009 for doodling on her desk at the Hunts Point School.
Alexa is still suspended from her school, her mother said. She and her mom went to family court on Tuesday, where Alexa was assigned eight hours of community service, a book report and an essay on what she learned from the experience.

\"I definitely learned not to ever draw on a desk,\" said Alexa. \"They told me with a pencil this could still happen.\"

:facepalm:

Chazwozel

The fuck?

phil

phil

If we don't start breaking their wills now, and reminding them that they are not humans then when they get out into the real world it'll be just that much harder.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Sure, it's doodles today, but tomorrow she'll be carving up people and drinking their blood...

Soliloquy

Man, I doodled on my desk all the time as a kid.

Heck, I doodled large-scale firefights between gun-wielding stick-figures. It was the guys whose heads were filled in against the guys whose heads were empty.

I always tried to make the fights even. You know, to be fair. They taught me fairness in Elementary School.

phil

phil

Heck, I doodled large-scale firefights between gun-wielding stick-figures. It was the guys whose heads were filled in against the guys whose heads were empty.

I always tried to make the fights even. You know, to be fair. They taught me fairness in Elementary School.
I'm sorry, but the school you went to now has a zero tolerance policy so you need to turn yourself into either the police or a psyche ward ASAP. Those doodles have turned you into the monster you are today.

Wasabi Poptart

It makes me seriously consider homeschooling.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Pfft... i started a trend in my class to cut off the 1st layer of your desk because it was full of crappy drawings and writting... one of the guys wa caught doing that by our main teacher, and he "fixed" it by putting fake wood-looking sticky paper stuff on it, i was rofling inside when that worked.

ElJuski

ElJuski

HEY, TEACHERS

LEAVE THOSE KIDS ALONE

Seriously, the fuck is wrong with these people? Doodling is a national pastime.

Iaculus

HEY, TEACHERS

LEAVE THOSE KIDS ALONE

Seriously, the fuck is wrong with these people? Doodling is a national pastime.
International.

I did it all the time in school.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

You bunch of delinquents...You all would have been better off with a Juvey Record instead of a diploma...

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Man, I would have been arrested every God damn day of my school life, right through to grade 12 and some of university. I doodled on desks constantly. Hell, I doodled on everything. Nothing was safe from my bored roaming pencil.

Gusto

Gusto

Even today when I cram before an exam, I immediately write the notes that are still on the top of my head on the desk so that I can refer to them during later parts of the exam. I always use pencil.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Seriously, the fuck is wrong with these people?
They embrace statism as a method of divesting themselves of all personal responsibility.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

What the dicking fuck.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Huh, I was doodling on desks yesterday during geometry class, and later that night during a D&D game. So glad I didn't get snatched by homeland sec.

Soliloquy

I'm sorry, but the school you went to now has a zero tolerance policy so you need to turn yourself into either the police or a psyche ward ASAP. Those doodles have turned you into the monster you are today.[/QUOTE]

I may be a monster, but at least I'm fair.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

And in 2008, 5-year-old Dennis Rivera was cuffed and sent to a psych ward after throwing a fit in his kindergarten.
...what.

Vagabond

V.Bond

I doodled on my desk like no ones business.

Those people that carve into the desks though are scum of the earth.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I'm pretty sure Holden Caufield is in charge of this crackdown.

WRITE DIRTY WORDS ON THE DESK WILL YOU

Shakey

Shakey

You're all missing the point.

"I definitely learned not to ever draw on a desk," said Alexa. "They told me with a pencil this could still happen."
It worked. We should do this more often.

phil

phil

I'm pretty sure Holden Caufield is in charge of this crackdown.

WRITE DIRTY WORDS ON THE DESK WILL YOU
I think he'd just be mad that she wrote something so phony like "I love my friends Abby and Faith" because girls are always going on about how good of friends they all are like that. Not to mention parents who name their kids lousy names like faith.

figmentPez

figmentPez

"I definitely learned not to ever draw on a desk," said Alexa. "They told me with a pencil this could still happen."
The whole house burned down, but the termites are gone! We should do this more often.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Corporal punishment in the classroom would have had the same effect, and wouldn't have necessitated the timewasting of multiple law enforcement officials.

Shakey

Shakey

Corporal punishment in the classroom would have had the same effect, and wouldn't have necessitated the timewasting of multiple law enforcement officials.[/QUOTE]

But cops like scaring little girls. It's much more fun than having to drag in the rowdy drunk who's throwing up on your shoes.

Kitty Sinatra

Man, this girl's got problems. We should set her up with Icarus.

David

David

I used my grade school desks during math class all the time as a white-board with my pencil, figuring I could easily erase it when I'm done. I guess nobody saw me do it.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So... it doesn't say anywhere in the article just what she was detained for.

Is desk doodling an arrestable crime?

Chibibar

oh no a doodle??? gee whiz. Call the swat team. This girl got a pencil and she is not afraid to write "I like you" on a desk!!! quick where are my snipers??

bhamv3

bhamv3

I'll be the cop just wanted to see a 12 year old girl in handcuffs.

(I felt a bit dirty just writing that)

Iaculus

I'll be the cop just wanted to see a 12 year old girl in handcuffs.
Will you now?

bhamv3

bhamv3

Bet! I meant to write bet!

Aww crap, I'll just take a seat over there...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Vandalism of school property.

No one sees it shocking they took a 5-year-old away in cuffs and put him in a psych ward for having an outburst in kindergarten? That all seems perfectly rational to people here?

Occasional Poster

I never doodled on my desk. I kept it clean clean clean clean like a good boy a good boy

@Li3n

@Li3n

No one sees it shocking they took a 5-year-old away in cuffs and put him in a psych ward for having an outburst in kindergarten? That all seems perfectly rational to people here?
Rational or par for course... whatever.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Rational or par for course... whatever.[/QUOTE]

It's just fucked up in so many ways. I can't imagine none of the people on Halforums didn't overreact to something when you're friggin' FIVE. Not to mention, you needed to cuff a kid that age? And how does a psych ward fit into it? "Gee willickers, this five year old is pretty rowdy. I imagine he's mentally damaged in some way." "Or, maybe, he's acting like a five year old." "That's what I said!"

Makes me want to hurt myself! Stupid! Stupid! I feel like the Nostalgia Critic watching Battlefield Earth!

@Li3n

@Li3n

My outrage for the week has been already spent.

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

Pretty big bucket o' stupid right there. Who the hell calls the cops for something like this and what cop actually arrests someone for it? Hell, going from the article it doesn't seem like she was the troublemaker type either.

I think we covered the 5 year old or something similar on a topic in the past already, seems awfully familiar.

Chibibar

Pretty big bucket o' stupid right there. Who the hell calls the cops for something like this and what cop actually arrests someone for it? Hell, going from the article it doesn't seem like she was the troublemaker type either.

I think we covered the 5 year old or something similar on a topic in the past already, seems awfully familiar.
There was a thread about it before (the 5 year old one) so the 12yr girl is new one.... both are still mess up.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Maybe the 5yo was screaming out the closing lines of "The End"

Father...

Deschain

I'm glad I went to school before all this hubbub. We used to form little gangs, have wars, throw shit at each other, trade grasshoppers etc. I remember three big 'wars' in my middle school career. One was when everyone from grades 5 and under started fighting against grades 6-8, the other was when a new part of the playground opened up and we dug trenches (and used jackets to make cover them) and the last was when we just threw pinecones at each other.

kaykordeath

Holy crap.

I saw this story in passing when it was posted yesterday...but didn't realize...this is the school NEXT FUCKING DOOR to me.

My daughter may very well go here in 2 years.

THE FUCK!?

Chibibar

Holy crap.

I saw this story in passing when it was posted yesterday...but didn't realize...this is the school NEXT FUCKING DOOR to me.

My daughter may very well go here in 2 years.

THE FUCK!?
tell her NOT to doodle on anything (just to be safe) I know that may sound sarcastic, but a doodle and get taken out in handcuffs?? yeesh.

what is next? writing "I like sports" (or whatever) on your notebook and get suspended.

Kitty Sinatra

what is next? writing "I like sports" on your notebook and get suspended.
If Juski could have his way, yes.

ElJuski

ElJuski

what is next? writing "I like sports" on your notebook and get suspended.
If Juski could have his way, yes.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much.

WolfOfOdin

Looks like she learned not to draw attention to herself.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I keep reading the article over and over again... and I still can't figure out what in the sphincter of hell these people were thinking.

Also, as a soon-to-graduate teacher I am damn happy this kinda bullshit hasn't landed in here.

Yet.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Looks like she learned not to draw attention to herself.
Arf arf arf...

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Art art art...
FTFY.

She'll be marked for life with this on her record. Note this down, any errant scribblery shall not be tolerated.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Art art art...
FTFY.

She'll be marked for life with this on her record. Note this down, any errant scribblery shall not be tolerated.[/QUOTE]

How many doodle-doers have you busted this week?

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

None, because I'm secure enough in my professional ability that I don't feel the need to sit on those who commit minor acts that can be corrected on-scene.

Y'know, a real cop, not a School Resource Officer.

...Actually, that's not fair. There's a large number of Campus Police who are just as professional as one could ask for, and are usually hamstrung by a byzantine maze of laws and ordinances, as well as the school's own rules preferences.

But yes, the officer who placed this girl in cuffs should turn in their badge. It was completely over the top and out of line.

Also
Joke
-----
Your Head

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

None, because I'm secure enough in my professional ability that I don't feel the need to sit on those who commit minor acts that can be corrected on-scene.

Y'know, a real cop, not a School Resource Officer.

...Actually, that's not fair. There's a large number of Campus Police who are just as professional as one could ask for, and are usually hamstrung by a byzantine maze of laws and ordinances, as well as the school's own rules preferences.

But yes, the officer who placed this girl in cuffs should turn in their badge. It was completely over the top and out of line.

Also
Joke
-----
Your Head
I got the joke, but you roped me in to WolfofOdin's lame, and it's tainted my skin and humor. Suddenly I don't like Iron Man anymore.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Ah... well, not everyone likes to yoke the same way. Far be it from me to tie you down. I'll just cut you loose.

Jay

Jay

They should sue... bigtime.

Soliloquy

Does anyone else think that our society is really screwing itself over with the way it's raising the current generation?

Shakey

Shakey

Does anyone else think that our society is really screwing itself over with the way it's raising the current generation?
Not really. Problem is we only hear about the bad things, and it's really not that often we hear about something like this. When we do, it's a lot of times something we probably wouldn't have heard about 20+ years ago. We could always go back to paddlin.

YAOMTC

Did anyone else misread the title as "12 year old girl hauled out of school in handcuffs for drooling on her desk"?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Yes.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Yes.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, but I did laugh.

Gared

Gared

Vandalism of school property.

No one sees it shocking they took a 5-year-old away in cuffs and put him in a psych ward for having an outburst in kindergarten? That all seems perfectly rational to people here?[/QUOTE]

In a country where I have heard several times in recent years of kids 5 and six years old being hauled out of kindergarten and first grade classes, expelled from school, and remanded to sexual harassment training for hugging people on the playground, I find this utterly stupid, disheartening, rage-inducing, and downright shameful; but no, not shocking.

Denbrought

Denbrought

I have heard several times in recent years of kids 5 and six years old being hauled out of kindergarten and first grade classes, expelled from school, and remanded to sexual harassment training for hugging people on the playground
What.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I have heard several times in recent years of kids 5 and six years old being hauled out of kindergarten and first grade classes, expelled from school, and remanded to sexual harassment training for hugging people on the playground
What.[/QUOTE]

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Maybe there's a time it might actually be necessary not only to handcuff a child (six years old this time), but also to send her to a mental health facility, because clearly the parents had no intention of ever reigning in their daughter.

The report said Franklin had been contacted “several times” by the school and once by the deputy about Haley’s behavior problems. However, the parents have not showed up for meetings. The parents also were criminally charged with failing to appear in court near the end of 2009 for a truancy hearing involving Haley not attending school, the report stated.

Yeah, stomping out into the hall, kicking every living thing in sight, and screaming your head off for over an hour? Maybe we can go ahead and get the handcuffs this time.