2010 Storm Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa.

---------- Post added at 02:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 AM ----------

1.21 GIGAWATTS!?!?!

Ross

Staff member
I just use a standard digital camera set with a long exposure time (these were 15 seconds). The trick is getting all of the settings right, and then touch-up in Photoshop :p When taking weather pictures, I find it best to keep the original colors, and I just enhance the levels/contrast and such a bit.

My camera happens to be an Olympus C-770.

Your camera is amazing, dude, it even managed to capture what appears to be GIANT LETTERS IN THE SKY!

Holy shit, have you sent them to NASA or Area 51 o something yet?!

I wonder what "©2010 Mark Ellinwood" means anyway. Probably coded alien secrets or something.

Ross

Staff member
Your camera is amazing, dude, it even managed to capture what appears to be GIANT LETTERS IN THE SKY!

Holy shit, have you sent them to NASA or Area 51 o something yet?!

I wonder what "©2010 Mark Ellinwood" means anyway. Probably coded alien secrets or something.
The rain makes them so people don't steal my shit :p (I post them elsewhere as well)

Water. Mark. GET IT?!?

You just missed some tornadoes that rolled through here. I'll see if I can get some of the damage pics posted soon. Nice pics though!

Ross

Staff member
Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah more pictures... these are from Tuesday in Southern PA:

Radar of the tornado-producing cell, with our GPS location (my car clock is actually 4 minutes fast)

Wall cloud off of that cell (facing north from I-76)

The storm moved quickly to the southeast and outran us as we struggled to find good roads.

Western edge of the cell (facing east)... Check out that sick double-rainbow right at the surface!

Same spot as last image, facing northwest at fast-moving low-level features. This is some interesting non-rotational scud that was detached from the cloud base (but is pretty deceptive in this picture).

Heading back west on Rt. 1 after the chase... storm-induced accident.

Ross

Staff member
Got some lightning shots from my video I took on 6/24:

The top one is my best 2010 lightning shot so far, IMO.

Amazing work as always.

What's the yield ratio between going to look for interesting weather and actually finding interesting weather?

Ross

Staff member
Amazing work as always.

What's the yield ratio between going to look for interesting weather and actually finding interesting weather?
My chase partner and I have been pretty on target this year... Out of the 8-or-so chases we've been on, only 1 has been a total bust (i.e. no storms). Chasing in the Mid-Atlantic is extremely difficult given the hilly areas with trees EVERYWHERE, but we've managed to get on two tornado-warned storms that did not end up producing tornadoes, and one storm that wasn't tornado-warned but did produce a tornado (oh, the irony!). Unfortunately we couldn't see the one tornado we were close to (the second-to-last-pictures)... we were less than 5 miles away, but there were too many trees and the road network was horrible in that area, so we couldn't get any closer to the storm.

Given that we're chasing in the Mid-Atlantic, I think we're doing pretty good. My chase partner has been doing this for 7 years now, and this has been one of his best years already. My forecasting skills along with his local knowledge has consistently gotten us on "the storm of the day," and it's only a matter of time until we get our tornado (or tornadoes?).

Status
Not open for further replies.