[NHL] 2018-2019 Season: The Rise of Gritty

Sparhawk's post has been reported for offensive content. I have no idea why it would be offensive. What am I missing?
I found it to be incredibly offensive for being terrible and bad.

(Since you don't seem to get the reference it's the stars cheating their way to get a cup over my Sabres. Sorry for abusing the report system).

Last night was the equivalent of being dumped and seeing your ex immediately start dating a 20 something year old tech billionaire/supermodel.

As of right now, only five teams have not reached the finals in the Expansion Era: Columbus (who have never even made it to the semifinals), Winnipeg/Atlanta, Minnesota, Arizona/Phoenix/Winnipeg of old, and, of course, Toronto.

Should Boston make the finals next year, they will tie Montreal for most finals appearances since the '67 expansion.

Sparhawk's post has been reported for offensive content. I have no idea why it would be offensive. What am I missing?
Someone ACTUALLY reported it?

It's a controversial goal that won the Stars the cup.
Im not going to get into it but here's what wikipedia has to say on it:
Brett Hull's goal ended the series and the Stars were awarded the Stanley Cup. The referees did not seek a review from the video judge, although NHL officials said that they reviewed the tape several times. They subsequently told the incensed Buffalo Coach Lindy Ruff that although Hull's left skate preceded the puck into the crease, Hull had continuous possession and the goal was legal. "The rule was absolutely, correctly applied," NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said. "It was a nonissue. Everyone understands it was the right call." NHL Director of Officiating Bryan Lewis said there was no crease violation because "Hull had possession of the puck when his skate entered the crease."

In years since, Buffalo fans have often cited this event as the "No Goal game".

This is the only time Dallas has won the Stanley Cup, while Buffalo has not returned to the Finals since this series. Dallas returned to the Finals in 2000 but lost to the New Jersey Devils.

Dave

Staff member
Yeah, the report was a joke and he admitted it. Nothing to see here except my ignorance and apathy about an NHL goal.

Pens tied with Edmonton for most expansion team cups with 5.

And just as no one here admits to supporting Trump, no one's admitting to being a Philly fan? :p

Yeah all the buzz was it's to TO with a third retained, and I'm like, NOOOO!

And then it was revealed to be NJ and I was like, Yessssss!

I think that if Weber even thinks of retiring, Poile is going to personally drive to Sicamous and beat him over the head with a bag of pucks - all while saying "I didn't give up sight in my right eye for you to #### me over like that!!!"

Hold on, you guys are calling this as Jersey losing the trade? They're giving up a bust of a purely defensive defenseman, a former 7th round pick who may or may not ever stick in the NHL, and two seconds for PK Subban, and you think they lost the trade??

So far just I am saying it. Subban is one of the highest paid players in the league but routinely puts up middle of the road numbers. He's overpaid by at least $3M/year. He's The 4th maybe 3rd best defensemen for Nashville, and maybe their 6th best player overall, yet a huge cap hit for them. With him off the books I expect Matt Duchene to sign with Nashville in a few weeks.

Secondly, I feel that the NHL trades are all about versatility recently. Four bodies for a single player gives Nashville lots of new opportunities.

Yes, they lost the trade. Because Poile will turn those two picks into gold (pardon the pun) somewhere down the line.

It also frees up more $ for Josi and Ellis, who are the real top d-pairing in Nashville.

Nashville turned their 3rd or 4th best defenseman into a terrible 6th D, a fringe NHL prospect, and two seconds that combined have about a 70% chance of turning into an NHL player - granted, Subban is a big commitment, but Nashville is also a much worse team for making this trade if they don't manage to sign Duchene or someone comparable with the cap space.

New Jersey, on the other hand, turned a bunch of chaff into a good to great NHL defenseman (remember that he's won a Norris, and outside of a mediocre single season last year has never been anything close to a disappointment). They're a much, much better team for making the trade and they can afford the cap space Subban takes up. By all means there's room to say that this was a good move for Nashville in the long run as well, but saying that the Devils lost anything at all here is ridiculous.

One thing to think off is that Nashville was not going to protect Subban in the expansion draft. He's the third highest paid defenseman in the league and they were gonna let him go unprotected. So they shed his contract to get offense and defense they can keep going forward.

I think NJ will benefit from Subban, and it looks like a good team next year.

It's really just his contract, and that's MTLs fault. Is he worth $9M in cap space a year? No. Not even close. For 10% of your teams payroll you need to be a lot more. Frankly I think that kind of money can only be justified on forwards.

I don't disagree that Subban is overpaid, or that (conditional on spending the created space to fill a need) this trade can work out to Nashville's advantage as well. I just think framing it as "NJ got screwed" when they picked up a massive upgrade without moving a single useful piece off their roster is silly.

I think there's room for D to be paid 9+, but it's for guys like Chara 5 years ago or healthy Karlsson - guys who completely take over when they're on the ice and basically provide 30 minutes/game of "my team wins." Subban had a couple seasons of looking like he could be that kind of player, but it looks like he peaked a bit below it and might be starting to decline now, so it's a scary contract. (I'd still take him over Weber.)

I have inquired of my fellow faithful. There is a thought that the U and the N are going to be saved from PK's old jerseys for a new one with a D, C, H, and two E's.

That's pretty definitely what the team is aiming for. Having talked to him already would be tampering, though, so there's presumably some risk that he'll decide to sign somewhere else and leave Nashville to figure out a backup plan.

There has been no secret that Duchene has wanted to play in Nashville for the longest time. I don't know if he shares an agent with someone on the Preds, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Roberto Luongo has retired. 19 years, 2 gold medals, 3rd all time in wins and a silver stick (1 of 3 goalies to earn it).

Vancouver will he charged $3M in cap space.

Last edited:
No, even worse: Glendale.

Someone should tell him there's a really nice place for sale over here in north Mesa in the Las Sendas subdivision. Great views of the valley, only $2.8 million. Of course, it's also a 46 minute-to-an-hour drive to the arena, so...

In the four months since Melnyk trashed the Leafs' rebuild for its defence, his GM has hired the Leafs' Penalty Kill Coach and signed the Leafs' two worst defencemen.