[Contest] 5 Year Anniversary Contest

Dave

Staff member
Well, folks, the 5 year anniversary was put on hold because of Mikko's sickness and passing. I'd had something planned, but put it on the backburner for obvious reasons.

Well, it's back on.

Rules:
  • Respond to this thread with the words: I'm IN! (or something else to that effect that makes it obvious)
  • Get your numbers.
  • Be lucky when we hold the contest on April 18 at 10 PM CT.
The contest will sound very familiar. We take the pool of interested candidates, give them each 5 numbers, then I will randomly pick numbers live online during a UStream broadcast. First person to get 3 of their 5 numbers wins.

Let me try and answer all questions here.

How do we know you won't pick a favorite? I won't have access to the numbers. @Emrys is going to be picking them randomly and sending them to you. I'll have NO IDEA who has what numbers.
Do I have to be present to win? No. Emrys will be there for verification and she will know who the winner is, even if they aren't there. Of course, it'll be more fun if you are there!
Do I have to do anything else? Nope. Just say you are interested and show up.

Who is eligible? Any Halforumite PAST OR PRESENT who has been registered before today. Alts do not count and since I will have to get your personal information to give a prize, I think I'll find out if you gamed the system.

What is the prize? Ready for this?
  1. First place is a PS4 game system. If you already have a PS4, we can talk about an equivalent cash value.
  2. Second place is a $200 gift card to Amazon!
  3. Third place prize is a $50 gift card to Amazon!
  4. Fourth place is an early access copy of the Steam game Divinity: Original Sin.

Is this different from the other donation contest? Yes. This is the 5th anniversary contest, not the donations contest.

If I'm in the donations contest, can I join this one? Hell yeah!

How can you afford to do this? Well, I wasn't planning on saying, but I feel you deserve to know. The reason I hadn't planned on it will become obvious. Mikko left me money in his will. I didn't find out about it until fairly recently. He specifically said that it's for me and not Halforums, but I can't just ignore you guys in this. I'm not going to say how much, but it was a good bit of money. I just got word today that the transfer has gone through, so it should hit my account in the next 3-5 business days. If this ruffles any feathers, I'm sorry. It's nothing I expected, either.

I'll be closing this thread sometime early next week to give everyone a chance to get in on this. Please note that if you are over seas I'll probably do the cash value as shipping costs are horrible. Or we can order from Amazon.timuktu or whatever.

Any further questions will be answered by updating this first post.

And it's over! The winners are:

• @blotsfan - A PS-muthafing-4!!
  • @Jay - $200 gift card to Amazon!
  • @Celt Z - $50 gift card to Amazon!
  • @Adam - Divinity: Original Sin - Early access beta game!
  • @figmentPez - The super secret prize! Only those watching the stream could win by matching all 5 numbers! He wins a game of his choice from Steam and a copy of every book written by authors here on the boards!
Congrats to the winners!!

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
Also Damnit NR, why did you always have to be such a great guy
I know, right? It's one of those things where you don't want to accept it, but it's also what he wanted. His dad basically talked me into it. I was floored to say the least.

It amazes me that even after he's gone North Ranger continues to show he was and is the heart of the forum.

I'm IN!

Don't put me in the drawing but since his thread was closed I wanted to simply say that Mikko was truly someone I called a dear friend. I can count the number of people in this category on one hand. I knew him inside and outside the forums though I never got the chance to meet him (it wrecks me to pieces inside that now that I have the means to visit him, I can't). I'm also sorry I wasn't here during the actual situation, it is truly my biggest regret of being gone for the forums for so long. I see him all over the forum though. Pictures of his avatar, quotes of his sayings in signatures and most of all, in how everyone treats each other. We all seem to be living the ideal Mikko had for Halforums. I know that'll never change now.

I'm glad to see his legacy lives on like this. I know that's what he would have wanted.

Best of luck to the person that wins!

Remember, folks, I need funding for my world domination campaign so I'm open to bribes and kick-backs.

Of course, I won't say this in front of Dave so he doesn't shut me down but... um...

Move along, nothing to see here!

:hide:

Mikko... truly amongst the best of human beings.... I need to show this to my wife, who's still on the fence about "online people."

Also, yeah, I'm in.

I'm in.

Thanks, both to N_R, @Dave, and @Emrys, for even making something like this possible. Stuff like this is what makes this more than just a website for movie trailer discussions and funny pictures.

Dave

Staff member
I'm in.

Thanks, both to N_R, @Dave, and @Emrys, for even making something like this possible. Stuff like this is what makes this more than just a website for movie trailer discussions and funny pictures.
N_R gets all the thanks. If not for him and his generosity the contest would have been for a stick of gum and a hearty, "Yo!"

Remember, folks, I need funding for my world domination campaign so I'm open to bribes and kick-backs.

Of course, I won't say this in front of Dave so he doesn't shut me down but... um...

Move along, nothing to see here!

:hide:
I'm in, also hey, look at this pile of candy I could ship to Saskatchewan at a moment's notice......

How can you afford to do this? Well, I wasn't planning on saying, but I feel you deserve to know. The reason I hadn't planned on it will become obvious. Mikko left me money in his will. I didn't find out about it until fairly recently. He specifically said that it's for me and not Halforums, but I can't just ignore you guys in this. I'm not going to say how much, but it was a good bit of money. I just got word today that the transfer has gone through, so it should hit my account in the next 3-5 business days. If this ruffles any feathers, I'm sorry. It's nothing I expected, either.
How did I miss this on the first reading?!

Goddamn allergies. <sniffle>

Wait, what? I, just, wow, uh, ya. That is a phenominal gesture.

Also, I'm in.

Also also... Emrys... uh, how about I don't invite you to convocation? So that way you don't feel oddly obligated to sit through strange seminary prof's speeches? That's a totally good bribe, right?

Wait, what? I, just, wow, uh, ya. That is a phenominal gesture.

Also, I'm in.

Also also... Emrys... uh, how about I don't invite you to convocation? So that way you don't feel oddly obligated to sit through strange seminary prof's speeches? That's a totally good bribe, right?
I work in the College of Graduate Studies & Research, so I get the "honour" of working convocation. Lucky me, yes? ;)

Dave

Staff member
First post has been updated.

The PS4 is now the first place prize. Someone just donated a $200 Amazon gift card for second place.

Yes you do - but not the Theological Colleges one! We're separate (read: special)! So you could have the priviledge of going to 2 convocations!