[Rant] AHH! AHHH! AHHHHHH!

It seems to be a trend around here, kids announcing their intentions to quit their job by simply not showing up one day.

My shift ends at 8am. 8 comes and goes with no sign of the next person. At 8:30, the HK manager and I both start to try to contact the kid. "voice mail not set up," so I can't leave him a message that way. Finally around 10:30 he responds to my text asking where he was with "who is this." I tell him and that I'm still on the desk. "Oh ok," is his only response.

Meanwhile, he's acting like a spoiled little brat towards the HK manager. Mocking her texting skills, and claiming he isn't on until 4pm. When told he's supposed to be there NOW, he says "oh I can't make it then." He's "busy," he says.

Short version, kid refuses to work his scheduled shift, leaving me to work a double, then scheduled to come right back barely 8 hours later. Now that he's gone (and he is... manager and owner consider him no longer employed), there are enough people to cover the three shifts every day with no days off.

I guess the good coming out of it is working his shifts earns me OT. Or... he's gonna wind up paying for my windshield repair. :devil:

It seems to be a trend around here, kids announcing their intentions to quit their job by simply not showing up one day.

My shift ends at 8am. 8 comes and goes with no sign of the next person. At 8:30, the HK manager and I both start to try to contact the kid. "voice mail not set up," so I can't leave him a message that way. Finally around 10:30 he responds to my text asking where he was with "who is this." I tell him and that I'm still on the desk. "Oh ok," is his only response.

Meanwhile, he's acting like a spoiled little brat towards the HK manager. Mocking her texting skills, and claiming he isn't on until 4pm. When told he's supposed to be there NOW, he says "oh I can't make it then." He's "busy," he says.

Short version, kid refuses to work his scheduled shift, leaving me to work a double, then scheduled to come right back barely 8 hours later. Now that he's gone (and he is... manager and owner consider him no longer employed), there are enough people to cover the three shifts every day with no days off.

I guess the good coming out of it is working his shifts earns me OT. Or... he's gonna wind up paying for my windshield repair. :devil:

Guy from my work did this recently. He was supposed to show up at like 8 am to be the 3rd person on the floor so the other two can start running breaks before it gets busy. Tine passes and nothing. They give him the benefit of the doubt because it was his birthday the night before so maybe he just over did it. Nope! He texts back "I don't work for [manager's name] anymore," as if our manager was some kind of monster.

Dude's fuckin' 34. Get it together, man.

Thanks again, ya little punk. Not only do I have a 12 hour shift to look forward to tomorrow night, but next week, NO ONE on front desk gets a day off. Sure, there's 16 hours of OT pay waiting to be had, but that makes me near useless to anyone else outside of work.

Interviews? Two were scheduled. One didn't bother to show up, the other is only available for overnights thanks to schedule conflicts. Oh, and she wants full time. NOPE.

And then there's the no social life whatsoever. Almost everything I've done for entertainment in the last year has been by myself. Every interaction with another human outside of my house has been where one of us was a customer of the other. I don''t go out in the evenings anymore because if I sleep in, I'm not out of bed until after midnight.

My frame of mind had been there's nothing really going wrong with my life right now that a large infusion of cash wouldn't solve. Getting the neglected house repairs and outstanding debts out of the way would relieve a lot of the pressure I've put on myself. But even then, just finding the time and energy to get those repairs done feels like a major hurdle.

I feel like I feel fine. I think.

Eh. Having been stuck in a job with constantly changing hours, days, nights, weekends, holidays, and lots of overtime, I can tell you...Unless you're at least as much of a hermit/recluse as I am, you really should be careful. I'm quite introverted and content having hardly any actual contact with people, but even so, after a year it really started getting me down. My girlfriend forcing me to actually go out and do things with other people, while incredibly annoying occasionally because I'm dead tired and/or just don't want to deal with people, really is a good thing. Like in The Sims, we really do need some social interaction every few days, and the cashier at the supermarket doesn't count.

That said, no-shows for a bad reason are crappy people with a lack of understanding that other people will have to pick up their slack, and a lack of responsibility.

I don't feel as fine as I thought I did. The constant grind with no end in sight is dragging me down. I'm dreading every car that pulls into the lot at night. I just want to get my nightly tasks done. I'm looking at customers as an interruption of that.

There's more, but I'm struggling to find the words right now. The short version is the internet is pissing me off, and I wish I could reach through the ether and punch faces.

If it makes you feel better, my department recently hired like 20 college graduates per my bosses' idea that we can 'mold them' to our company culture. That's great and all. I'm all for giving kids a jump start, but we really could have used some experienced hires in the mix.

I feel like everyday there's a scandal in the sorority house.

If it makes you feel better, my department recently hired like 20 college graduates per my bosses' idea that we can 'mold them' to our company culture. That's great and all. I'm all for giving kids a jump start, but we really could have used some experienced hires in the mix.

I feel like everyday there's a scandal in the sorority house.
Hey if you ever need a guy with an environmental science degree and 8 years of sales experience. Drop me a line, im always looking for new experiences.

Miracle of miracles! I'm working now, but next two nights are off. :D

And just in time for the release of the Beatles mono remasters on vinyl. First reviews are in and word is they sound awesome. Preordered Rubber Soul with day-of-release delivery. $36, but it would cost $40 just to fill my car with gas for the drive to Pittsburgh and the closest store that would be carrying them. Win for me. :)