Airport

[CONTAINER][POSTER]
[/POSTER][MOVIE]Title: Airport

Genre: [GENRE]Action[/GENRE], [GENRE]Drama[/GENRE], [GENRE]Thriller[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]George Seaton[/DIRECTOR], [DIRECTOR]Henry Hathaway[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Burt Lancaster[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Dean Martin[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Jean Seberg[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Jacqueline Bisset[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]George Kennedy[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Helen Hayes[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Van Heflin[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Maureen Stapleton[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Barry Nelson[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Dana Wynter[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Lloyd Nolan[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Barbara Hale[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Gary Collins[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]John Findlater[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Jessie Royce Landis[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Whit Bissell[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Virginia Grey[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Larry Gates[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Lisa Gerritsen[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Sandra Gould[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Leoda Richards[/ACTOR]

Release Date: [RELEASE]1970-03-05[/RELEASE]

Runtime: [RUNTIME]137[/RUNTIME]

Plot: [PLOT]Melodrama about a bomber on board an airplane, an airport almost closed by snow, and various personal problems of the people involved.[/PLOT][/MOVIE][/CONTAINER]

To understand why "Airplane!" was such a parody, you have to go back to the original. Some of the stuff in this film is downright quaint nowadays. Still a great movie for its time - even if it did initiate the multi-story disaster novel movie genre.

Some one needs to add Zero Hour, because the plot of Airplane! is basically directly lifted from this film. Even some of the funniest lines come word for word from the script.

GasBandit

Staff member
I remember when I was a kid, I was so disappointed to learn Airport was not a sequel to Airplane!... yeah, yeah, I know.

GasBandit

Staff member
You probably meant Airplane II: The Sequel.

--Patrick
I didn't know about Airplane 2 at the time... I was just looking through the cable guide and saw "Airport," tuned into the beginning, saw how similar it was to Airplane!, and kept waiting for a joke. Eventually I realized there weren't any coming.