All Time Hits Leader Among Active Players Changes, No One Notices

Status
Not open for further replies.
This weekend, future Hall of Famer Ken Griffey Jr. of the Seattle Mariners was passed for leader, all time hits, among active players. His total of 2,776 hits has been passed by the 2,781 hits of Derek Sanderson Jeter of the New York Yankees. Making this more significant is that Griffey Jr. had accumulated 1,000 hits before Jeter reached Major League Baseball. Both are top 50 all time players, but Jeter's pace and general good health indicate he has several viable years left on the field. At his current pace (averaging 192 hits per season) Jeter could pass Pete Rose for all time hits in as few as 8 seasons.

And yet not a single sporting show I've seen has mentioned this.

YAY!!!! Seriously good for Jeter. I'm not sure if he'll reach the All time hit list, but I look forward to watching him become the first Yankee 3000 hitter.

Wow. You are right. I never even heard about this. Seems he's about to break another one of Lou Gehrig's records this weekend.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2010_05_05_balmlb_nyamlb_1

With all the news on the Yankees you'd think this would get SOME play. Weird.
It will be great to listen to this game (stupid blackout restrictions, I couldn't even watch the orioles on tv even if I wanted to), and exciting to know that next year he will surpass Mantle.

I was absolutely shocked when I learned no Yankee has ever reached 3,000 hits. I mean it's the freakin' YANKEES. All those legends and no one got to 3,000? It just blew my mind.

There are 4 former Yankees on that list. Just none of them were career Yankees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3000_hit_club
I think also none of them reached 3000 as a Yankee.

Wow - out of the active players close to 3000, Jeter not only has the most hits, he's got the fewest years in the Majors. Griffey Jr has 6 more years in the Majors, and 5 less hits. Gary Sheffield (a former teammate of Jeter's, who said that he himself was the reason for the Yankees success, and not Jeter or A-Rod) has 7 more years and 93 less hits. Out of that list, the only one besides Jeter (who will, at his current rate, will top 3000 around next year's All Star game) who will make 3000 is A-Rod, who is 228 hits behind Jeter with one more year of playing time.

Also a contributing factor is Yankees corporate culture. They tend to plunder other teams of their good players, then ship them off quickly when they hit their golden years.

C

Chazwozel

Also a contributing factor is Yankees corporate culture. They tend to plunder other teams of their good players, then ship them off quickly when they hit their golden years.

The players do have an option to say no, you know. It's not like the Yankees force them to play. You'd be an idiot to pass up that kind of payroll, I don't care who you are.

That is clearly the reason Derek Jeter is now the active hit leader in the majors. After all if they hadn't poached him from themselves...no wait. It really has nothing to do with it.

The players do have an option to say no, you know. It's not like the Yankees force them to play. You'd be an idiot to pass up that kind of payroll, I don't care who you are.[/QUOTE]

It has nothing to do with the player, it is the corporate culture that allows the Yankees to treat the rest of MLB as a farm team.

That is clearly the reason Derek Jeter is now the active hit leader in the majors. After all if they hadn't poached him from themselves...no wait. It really has nothing to do with it.[/QUOTE]

I was replying to the previous post as to why there are no Yankees in the 3000 hit club. So yeah, Yankees still suck in the way they treat their players. Jeter is basically the sole exception.

Yeah, sure does suck for those players making tremendous amounts of money, in a stadium with loyal fans - they cheer most people who've been traded when they return unless there's some spectacularly bad blood (Gary Sheffield) - Matsui got a goddamn ovation when the Angels were in town, as did Bobby Abreu, and he was only a Yankee for a year and a half. Not to mention being on a team that's almost constantly in a pennant race and views a series without a world series as a bad season.

Yeah, the Yankees suck in the way they treat their players alright...

Also, you're dead on about Jeter being the sole exception, except of course for Jorge Posada and Mariano Riviera. Together, they are the only three players who've been team mates for 13 consecutive years in all of MLB history.

I fucken loathe watching baseball and I hate the MLB.... particularly the Yankees.

It's a shitty old boys club system that caters to the handful of teams that can afford all the best talent of the league while the X others proverbially suck a dick as their talent year after year gets poached off by "winner teams". I seen this for YEARS when the Expos were still in MTL. We were the good samaritans of the league and gave up our talent every few years.

I loathe the MLB. The same fucken 4 teams make it to the semi finals every year. what the fuck is the point?

I loathe the MLB. The same fucken 4 teams make it to the semi finals every year. what the fuck is the point?
Here's an interesting little fact. Number of different teams to make the semifinals in the last ten years (not including this year) for the NHL and MLB:

AL: 11 teams
NL: 10 teams

Western conference:11 teams
Eastern Conference:10 teams

Of course, the NHL has had 9 teams win the Stanley cup, as opposed to the tiresome retreads of MLB coming in with a paltry 8 different World Series winners in the last decade.

Truly, truly pointless

Here's an interesting little fact. Number of different teams to make the semifinals in the last ten years (not including this year) for the NHL and MLB:

AL: 11 teams
NL: 10 teams

Western conference:11 teams
Eastern Conference:10 teams

Of course, the NHL has had 9 teams win the Stanley cup, as opposed to the tiresome retreads of MLB coming in with a paltry 8 different World Series winners in the last decade.

Truly, truly pointless[/QUOTE]
Don't bother. You can point out that Baseball has one of the most diverse playoff landscapes in sports until you are blue in the face. Haters will still be haters.

They need to play better teams.
Really? Auburn did?

And no one will schedule Boise State.[/QUOTE]

Auburn went 3-5 I think they were defeated a couple of times.

The NCAA has had a schedule and confrence cap for years. I can't remember when it changes though. It should be in a few years.[/QUOTE]

I'm referring to the 2004 season where they went 13-0 and didn't get the chance to play for the national championship.

The BCS has what to do with baseball now? Oh yeah, NOTHING.
I compared Baseball to NCAAF in the respect of being flawed fundamentally, and someone said I was wrong then I defended it.

C

crono1224

Clearly nothing, though on the BCS, the bullshit thing is top teams playing nobody's as warm-up games. I am sorry but Florida playing the local community college who has to play Arnie the 93 year old student, is a waste of a game.

On baseball Yankees are probably one of the best teams to play for it's a huge market team, huge city, loyal fan base, fairly high win percent, and you get paid very good money.

Is it bullshit that they can out spend everyone including the next highest by 25%, more than twice half the league, sure. Does it always mean they are going to win, no. Also some teams have no one to blame but their selves they trade away players constantly and aren't willing to even pay decently big money to the players that are worth it.

The Red Sox could spend as much as the Yankees. Of course if they did that they would no longer be able to claim that its so unfair that the Yankees spend the money they make and put it back into the team (and in return give out a large amount of revenue sharing money). Fucking Red Sox, biggest bunch of hypocrites in sports.

The Braves, too. They act like they're a small market team but they're a huge market team with an owner that could buy and sell Steinbrenner's entire holdings before lunch.

And lets not forget Pittsburgh, with their payroll barely over $30 million. The team (not their fans) deserve another losing season with spending like that.

Also of note. Sadoharu Oh's home run record - 868 career homers, I believe? - is high above the MLB record, but is not mentioned in comparative stats. Why?

Because the Japanese league isn't the Majors. It's like AAA+, it's close, but it's not the majors. Stadiums that are physically smaller on average, with a smaller strike zone, and less formidable pitchers, with shorter seasons (meaning more off-season recovery time and less strain over the course of the season) make the game different.

Why do I mention this? Because A-Rod averages 34 homers per season - seriously, 12 consecutive seasons of 30+ homers - and is at 588 career home runs right now. That's 280 shy of the world record set by Oh. A-Rod could reach that in 8 1/4 seasons. Given his age, that may not be possible, but it's not impossible - he's almost 35, so that would mean he'd have to play until he was 43 years old. Phillies pitcher Jamie Moyer is currently 47 years old, and in 2008 there were 16 MLB players over 40. His current contract expires at the end of the 2017 season.

Why do I mention this? Because A-Rod averages 34 homers per season - seriously, 12 consecutive seasons of 30+ homers - and is at 588 career home runs right now. That's 280 shy of the world record set by Oh. A-Rod could reach that in 8 1/4 seasons. Given his age, that may not be possible, but it's not impossible - he's almost 35, so that would mean he'd have to play until he was 43 years old. Phillies pitcher Jamie Moyer is currently 47 years old, and in 2008 there were 16 MLB players over 40. His current contract expires at the end of the 2017 season.
Rodriguez has also admitted to using steroids, so it may not matter how many home runs he ends up hitting. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3894847

Rodriguez has also admitted to using steroids, so it may not matter how many home runs he ends up hitting. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3894847[/QUOTE]
Sadly steriods do not change the record books. Just ask Barry Bonds.

You must take into account that Oh used a compressed bat for most of his career. It was illegal in MLB, and the Japanese leagues outlawed it soon after Oh retired as a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.