Export thread

Amazing Spider-Man comic ends, Marvel drinks SM fan tears. [Spoilers]

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

So with issue 700, ASM ends and Superior Spider-Man begins.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS ETC.

Holy shit Marvel, WHY DO YOU HATE PETER PARKER SO MUCH. Doc Ock swaps their minds, and not only does Pete fail to swap them back because Ock has him completely out-smarted, but Pete fucking dies in a rotting shell of a body belonging to his biggest villain. The most relatable of all Marvel heroes, who finally had things working in his favor after some great storytelling in the last couple dozen issues, is now dead in Ock's battered, withered husk.

Just as Ock's body is about to die, Peter forces Ock to relive Pete's struggles in a series of flashbacks, showing Ock that there's a reason to be a hero and asking him to do the right thing. Ock agrees to this, and decides to live on and prove Spider-Man is a true hero, not deserving the revulsion he's always endured. He will be the Superior Spider-Man.

There's a chance this could be a great story, but Goddamn it's hard to accept them killing Peter like this. It's just so...shitty.

END SPOILERS

If you're interested in reading this, you can pretty much start at ASM 697, I think.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Now taking bets on whether Peter Parker will stay dead.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

....whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? Seriously? This is...just too weird. This is some British invasion style weirdness. It may be a good story I'll admit I'm interested but...damn. Its just weird.

phil

phil

My first thought is "what the actual fuck"

Peter Parker is dead but for realz this time and....doc oc is Spiderman now? And he is going.with this because Pete made.him feel not.hatred for.once? That's how at least two trades of the authority ended along with all star Superman. Shits been done.

2nd Thought: fuck it. All major super hero story lines should just be one shots and what ifs and else world stuff anyway.

Ex use the mistakes and excessive periods. I'm on my phone and drunk.

PatrThom

PatrThom

No, Phil. In reality, you are the only one seeing this with utmost clarity, as you were the only one wise enough to buffer yourself against the news.

octopusoctopusoctopusdoctopusoctopusoctopusoctopus

--Patrick

Bowielee

Bowielee

I honestly haven't followed Spider-Man closely since the Clone Saga.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I honestly haven't followed Spider-Man closely since the Clone Saga.
Same here, but I'd heard from ASM 650 or so onwards things were pretty great, and honestly I agree. Dan Slott did some solid writing in the major arcs leading up to this, and truthfully I think there's potential for some great stuff with Superior. I think it's the terrible, shitty sendoff Pete gets that bothered me. The guy's suffered so much and this is how he's sent off. Sure it's comics so there's always a chance he gets Captain America'd back to life, but still.

Gonna spoiler these pages for size, but here we have Pete forcing Ock to see Pete's memories:
And this is the death of Peter Parker:

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

That maybe the stupidest fucking thing I've ever seen them do in this comic. And I actually read One More Day.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Marvel must be using some fantastic psychadelic drugs with their writers.

Espy

Espy

Well, when you are telling the same stories for 60+ years or whatever you get bored. I understand wanting to do something weird and different.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Oh, it gets worse. Doc Ock as Spidey may be having a relationship with Mary Jane, while she doesn't know the switch has happened... I really hope that's not true.

Espy

Espy

I'm sorry but thats awesome. It's almost as awesome as Superman banging chicks then mind-wiping them so they think they had a virgin birth.

tegid

tegid

Oh, it gets worse. Doc Ock as Spidey may be having a relationship with Mary Jane, while she doesn't know the switch has happened... I really hope that's not true.
It may be true, but really, Peter wasn't going to pursue MJ even though he wanted to. This Spiderman Octavious is more of a mixture between Peter Parker and Otto Octavius (since he has all his memories and everything) than only Doctor Octopus. Like Peter had gained some background and become bolder and whatnot. It may not be so bad.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I give it six months. A year, tops.

Wahad

Wahad

I give it six months. A year, tops.
I give it one more day.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I remember this Cracked show talked about this rejected James Cameron Spider-man movie where Doc Ock thought HE was Spider-man. You know a comic book is bad when its plot sounds like a rejected James Cameron movie.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I remember this Cracked show talked about this rejected James Cameron Spider-man movie where Doc Ock thought HE was Spider-man. You know a comic book is bad when its plot sounds like a rejected James Cameron movie.
Hey, James Cameron has done some really good stuff.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Hey, James Cameron has done some really good stuff.
Yes, but from what I've heard from this his potential Spider man would have been awful.

Frank

Frank

Spider-Man is like the whipping boy for the worst revamp ideas.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I don't know. I think Punisher takes the cake, just for Punisher: Angel of Vengeance alone.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Don't forget Frankenstein Punisher!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

At least that was meant to be temporary and blatantly fun. The former was honestly meant to revitalize the character.

Also, it's FRANKENCASTLE!

Zappit

Zappit

Is he still in the Future Foundation? Watch it be Ben Grimm and Johnny Storm that figures it all out. Reed will just be thrilled Peter seems even smarter.

Vagabond

Vagabond

I really have enjoyed Dan Slott's run. Truly.

But why does peter parkers existence have to be so terrible, all the time? Someone write this guy having his life in order already.

Zappit

Zappit

Getting his life ground to paste is part of Peter's appeal. He's the comic character readers identify with the most, so when the shit hits the fan, the readers feel it, too, and hooks them hard.

Did people go apeshit when DC reset their universe, essentially retconning their entire continuity the way they did when One More Day hit? That's what it is. We don't identify with the majority of comic book characters, but Peter Parker resonates because he is an average guy doing good, with problems that don't always involve the villain.

That's why he's destined to be comics' whipping boy. We feel the lashes with him, and keep reading because we can't wait to see him overcome his latest tragedy.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

In today's issue, Peter goes to class (is he still in school? I don't know), gets an A, makes new friends, gets a raise at his job, and then goes home to a loving, supportive girlfriend/wife/whatever she is nowadays. And nothing bad happens.

The end.

Zappit

Zappit

In today's issue, Peter goes to class (is he still in school? I don't know), gets an A, makes new friends, gets a raise at his job, and then goes home to a loving, supportive girlfriend/wife/whatever she is nowadays. And nothing bad happens.

The end.
You forgot that the Sandman quietly surrenders to the police.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

You forgot that the Sandman quietly surrenders to the police.
He should, that guy's a jerk

figmentPez

figmentPez

Did people go apeshit when DC reset their universe, essentially retconning their entire continuity the way they did when One More Day hit?
Yes, they did. They were pissed that Starfire got turned into an emotionless sex doll, Barbara Gordon was no longer Oracle, and a dozen other bits of outrage over the deletion of defining moments in character's histories.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Bad shit is allowed to happen to characters, but that stuff has to be earned, not just pulled out of nowhere because the writer feels bored and wants to "shake things up".

And when things then get subsequently retconned for the sake of status quo, they feel even less earned than before.

One of the reasons why I hated Brand New Day, despite Slott doing a decent job writing it, is because One More Day felt like such a giant cop-out instead of having Peter deal with the actual death of Aunt May, Osborne taking over the country while searching for him, or the evolution of his relationship with MJ.

Now this? Maybe I'm doing Slott a disservice, but this feels like yet another false reboot. Not only does it seem monumentally silly that Doc Ock would all of sudden have the perfect plan to destroy Peter and then feel bad and decide to be the bestest Spidey evers, I have pretty much zero confidence that Slott and the Marvel execs have the guts to truly run with it and make it a quality story instead of running it into the ground to prep for the retcon.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Yes, they did. They were pissed that Starfire got turned into an emotionless sex doll, Barbara Gordon was no longer Oracle, and a dozen other bits of outrage over the deletion of defining moments in character's histories.
When I heard Barbara Gordon wasn't Oracle any more, I was afraid as FUCK that it meant they were retconning "The Killing Joke". Glad DC wasn't THAT stupid.

One of the reasons why I hated Brand New Day, despite Slott doing a decent job writing it, is because One More Day felt like such a giant cop-out instead of having Peter deal with the actual death of Aunt May, Osborne taking over the country while searching for him, or the evolution of his relationship with MJ.
Yeah that bugged the shit out of me. He also even talked with Aunt May's spirit and she said she was cool with being dead! So this a completely selfish act from who is supposed to be one of the most selfless characters in all of comics.

All we can do is wait and see if this NEW retcon will itself be retconned. Because its...just a weird idea.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Yeah that bugged the shit out of me. He also even talked with Aunt May's spirit and she said she was cool with being dead! So this a completely selfish act from who is supposed to be one of the most selfless characters in all of comics.
Wasn't it MJ that made the deal?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I really have enjoyed Dan Slott's run. Truly.

But why does peter parkers existence have to be so terrible, all the time? Someone write this guy having his life in order already.
Yeah. I mean, I don't expect it to be sunshine/rainbows/unicorn farts all the time, but the guy gets shit on all the time, and now he's dead. It's sad that Marvel's most iconic character is basically swept out in an old carcass while his egotistical arch-enemy gets the Flawless Victory.

Also I don't think he's in FF anymore now that Johnny's alive again. Spidey only got the spot because Johnny left a video will of sorts saying he wanted Spidey to take his spot should the worst happen.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Wasn't it MJ that made the deal?
Not quite. She convinced him to make the deal, and she struck a separate deal with Mephisto to allow him to be happy. Aside from not making a whole lot of sense in comparison to the first deal, I also really didn't like how it neatly took at least part of the responsibility away from Peter for making the deal. His finest moments have always been him overcoming his doubts and obstacles by making a choice and living with the consequences. This time, Peter basically wussed his way into a retcon because his wife confused him by editorial fiat.

At least Bendis gave his version of Spidey a grand send-off and worked hard to make the universe keep moving, even if Earth-1610's quality is a bit uneven.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Now taking bets on whether Peter Parker will stay dead.
Anybody going to take this bet? Anyone think Pete will stay dead?

Vagabond

Vagabond

Yeah. I mean, I don't expect it to be sunshine/rainbows/unicorn farts all the time, but the guy gets shit on all the time, and now he's dead. It's sad that Marvel's most iconic character is basically swept out in an old carcass while his egotistical arch-enemy gets the Flawless Victory.
That's what I'm talking bout. If wolverine can run a fucking school and be on every goddamn team in the marvel u, why could'nt peter parker have mj and a stable career? That teacher angle they had going was pretty nifty.

I mean all of NY can still hate him forever, but selling his marriage to the devil? Literally dying at the hands of his foe that is now going to take over his life?

C'mon son. It ain't gotta be like that.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

Anybody going to take this bet? Anyone think Pete will stay dead?
what was that old quote?

"no one stays dead in comics except for bucky, jason todd and uncle ben."

Bowielee

Bowielee

what was that old quote?

I also used to include Barry Allen and Gwen Stacy in that.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Isn't this one of like, 8 Spider-Man comics that release per month anyway?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

what was that old quote?

Yeah... About those. They all came back (though uncle Ben was a clone)

BananaHands

BananaHands

Isn't this one of like, 8 Spider-Man comics that release per month anyway?
I think the only surviving Peter is in the one based off of the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon.

figmentPez

figmentPez

what was that old quote?

If I'm not mistaken, Lian Harper is still dead.

tegid

tegid

Did she exist, now that the entire universe has been rebooted?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Did she exist, now that the entire universe has been rebooted?
Apparently not.

phil

phil

Calling it:

The heroes will realize what's going on and try to do some kind of magic to bring Peter's soul back and put it back in his body while expelling Doc Oc. Something will go wrong though and they'll get the spirit of Uncle Ben. Uncle Ben will be spiderman for a bit until they can clone his body and try the thing again transferring Uncle Ben's soul into his new clone body and Peter's soul into Peter's body.

The death of Peter Parker is how they finally bring Uncle Ben back.

Covar

Covar

:fu::fu::fu::fu::fu:
spider-man-hyphen.jpg

BananaHands

BananaHands

Superior Spider-Man is at the end of Daredevil #21.

"I will find Daredevil... And I will CRUSH him."

He didn't really learn anything from the end of 700 I guess.

Bowielee

Bowielee

If I'm not mistaken, Lian Harper is still dead.
No, she never existed now.

Gryfter

Gryfter

No, she never existed now.
except in the Young Justice universe.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Do you mean the cartoon? In the comic universe, Speedy is part of Red Hood's Outlaws and isn't even old enough to have a child.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Superior Spider-Man is at the end of Daredevil #21.

"I will find Daredevil... And I will CRUSH him."

He didn't really learn anything from the end of 700 I guess.
They also open the latest Avenging Spider-Man with him super-villain-laughing about taking over Peter's body.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Doesn't seem to get along with Wolvie either...

Still, I was thinking about how much I would have enjoyed this run if they kept Spider-Man a douche and Superior Spider-Man dealt with him slowly becoming more and more of a hero. So who knows.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Do you mean the cartoon? In the comic universe, Speedy is part of Red Hood's Outlaws and isn't even old enough to have a child.
Sorry, yes the animated series, which I might add is it's own continuity, but I will take what I can get.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I have to admit, I have this morbid curiosity in seeing Spider-Ock accidentally ruining the mister-nice-guy idea Marvel's heroes have of him by getting impatient/annoyed with others.

Covar

Covar

Doesn't seem to get along with Wolvie either...
That's not unusual for Spider-man.

BananaHands

BananaHands

His pointy nose bothers me.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The only way this could get dumber is if it involved the Scarlet Spider at some point.

Bowielee

Bowielee

The only way this could get dumber is if it involved the Scarlet Spider at some point.
You do realize that the Scarlet Spider is back... and he's freakin' Kain...blech.

Honestly, Ben Reilly had such promise, other than the jazzercise costume. I wish they would have kept who was the real Spider-Man ambiguous and ran parallel books. They could have had a perfect person to live the single struggling life that they did One More Day for without sacrificing everything Spider-Man stands for and make a deal with the devil. Just make Ben the one who's single and struggling. But NO, they just had to kill him off and bring back Norman Osborne. Though, I did like him as the Iron Patriot and the subsequent Siege storyline, so some good did come of it.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

You do realize that the Scarlet Spider is back... and he's freakin' Kain...blech.
*throws his hands up and walks away*

BananaHands

BananaHands

I'm patiently waiting for the "Ock is raping MJ!" accusations.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm patiently waiting for the "Ock is raping MJ!" accusations.
MJ isn't romantically involved with Peter anymore. I know, we've all tried to put one more day out of our minds.

BananaHands

BananaHands

MJ isn't romantically involved with Peter anymore. I know, we've all tried to put one more day out of our minds.
They've been all kissy-kissy since Doc took over.

Bowielee

Bowielee

They've been all kissy-kissy since Doc took over.
Are you fucking kidding me? So, not only this dumbass death, but they're going to reverse the entire reason One More Day exists?????

Fuck Marvel right up their stupid asses.

Vagabond

Vagabond

Spider-Man and Wolverine were bros mang, what're you even saying. They even had a team up comic series pretty recently.

Scarlet Spider is neat-o, kickin all kinds of ass and doin his own thing in not NYC (Houston).

Also, Flash Thompson as Venom? That's pretty legit.

Fuck I don't even read comics like this but I guess I do?

bhamv3

bhamv3

That panel of Wolverine getting punched by Spidey made me think, "Hmm, doesn't Spidey have super strength in the range of being able to lift several tons? That's gotta hurt Wolvie, healing factor or not."

Then I remembered Wolvie getting punched repeatedly by the Hulk during World War Hulk, and managed to recover from that, and then all was well.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Spidey is definitely stronger and faster than Wolverine, so yeah, getting the jump on an unexpecting wolverine could put some hurt on him.

It wouldn't actually -harm- wolverine, because he's all but invincible, depending on who's writing him. I've seen him survive a goddamn nuke at ground zero in a comic.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Also, Flash Thompson as Venom? That's pretty legit.
I got the first two issues of this, and I'm not one hundred percent on it. It feels to heroic for Venom, the Venom I've known since I was a kid is this messed up psycho. And now Eddie Brock was probably killed by Toxin or something, I don't know its just weird.

And yeah, Spidey's mask's nose looks weird. Like the goggles though.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I'm going to read Superior Spider-Man.

I dunno. It's unique and it's certainly going to change the dynamic with the one super hero who's always interacting with all the other Marvel characters.

I'm kind of keen on the Ultimate univers in the sense that they're killing off these big players, which is more refreshing than the same recycled characters and plots.

Zappit

Zappit

Punching Wolverine in the face is like giving him a high-five. They bros.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

The Ock-MJ rape accusations are all over 4chan's /co/ board already, as Ock started working on getting her pretty much immediately after taking the body over.

I like Flash Venom, everything I've read has been pretty good so far.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Honestly, Ben Reilly had such promise, other than the jazzercise costume. I wish they would have kept who was the real Spider-Man ambiguous and ran parallel books. They could have had a perfect person to live the single struggling life that they did One More Day for without sacrificing everything Spider-Man stands for and make a deal with the devil. Just make Ben the one who's single and struggling. But NO, they just had to kill him off and bring back Norman Osborne. Though, I did like him as the Iron Patriot and the subsequent Siege storyline, so some good did come of it.
Back in the 90s I would've loved to be reading a Scarlet Spider book as opposed to the mess we got with the Clone Saga and recent shenanigans.

BananaHands

BananaHands

The Ock-MJ rape accusations are all over 4chan's /co/ board already, as Ock started working on getting her pretty much immediately after taking the body over.

I like Flash Venom, everything I've read has been pretty good so far.
I kind of found it funny how he came to wanting to pursue M.J., on how he logically saw that Peter and Mary Jane should be together. The stupidity of One More Day wouldn't apply to a mind like Ock.

Zappit

Zappit

I kind of found it funny how he came to wanting to pursue M.J., on how he logically saw that Peter and Mary Jane should be together. The stupidity of One More Day wouldn't apply to a mind like Ock.
That would be one hell of a mess for Peter when they bring him back. He gets his body back (He will. It's like a coin-behind-the-ear trick for Dr. Strange.) and he's in a relationship.

And that's when we see Mephisto's real dick move from One More Day - he resurrected Gwen Stacy, too.

Bowielee

Bowielee

What's really messed up about Doctor Octopus being in Spider-Man's body is that he used to date Aunt May, which means he finds her attractive. So, basically, Spider-Man could very conceivably be having dirty thoughts about her.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

What's really messed up about Doctor Octopus being in Spider-Man's body is that he used to date Aunt May, which means he finds her attractive. So, basically, Spider-Man could very conceivably be having dirty thoughts about her.
And my feelings for this story have gone from on the fence to fallen off the fence and having snapped my neck killing me while dogs eat my corpse. UGH!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

There's a mention of it in I think 699. Pete sees Ock's memories of Aunt May and has a bit of an OH GOD WHY fit.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I have the weirdest boner right now.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I have the weirdest boner right now.
I do too, but that's because I'm imagining the potential of Peter, MJ, and Gwen all together.

If you know what I mean.

T

The_Khan

I do too, but that's because I'm imagining the potential of Peter, MJ, and Gwen all together.

If you know what I mean.
is it like that Obama Hillary Clinton, prime minister of japan manga?

BananaHands

BananaHands

I was bored so I picked up the Ultimate Spider-Man comics, after y'know,
Peter dies
, and so far I actually kind of like it.

Espy

Espy

NO BANANAHANDS! NO! Change is BAD!:Leyla:

Bowielee

Bowielee

NO BANANAHANDS! NO! Change is BAD!:Leyla:
Is that really why you think we're pissed about the main universe killing Peter off and replacing him with Dr. Octopus in his body?

strawman

strawman

I thought Espy was referring to his seething hatred of metal currency which BananaHands presumably used in order to purchase the comic.

Adam

Adam

Is that really why you think we're pissed about the main universe killing Peter off and replacing him with Dr. Octopus in his body?
SPOILER ALERT: It doesn't last.

Bowielee

Bowielee

SPOILER ALERT: It doesn't last.
Doesn't mean it doesn't harm the brand.

Adam

Adam

Doesn't mean it doesn't harm the brand.
:rolleyes:

Good guys and bad guys swapping bodies has been a mainstay of comic books since forever.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GrandTheftMe

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I was bored so I picked up the Ultimate Spider-Man comics, after y'know,
Peter dies
, and so far I actually kind of like it.
What I've read of this is actually pretty good, and Miles is an interesting character. His new powerset is fun, too. The thing with Ultimate Spider-Man, though is

It's a powerful send-off and I thought it was fitting.
[DOUBLEPOST=1356376025][/DOUBLEPOST]
:rolleyes:

Good guys and bad guys swapping bodies has been a mainstay of comic books since forever.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GrandTheftMe
But how many of those swaps ended with the hero dying in a broken, dying husk of a body while the villain pulls off a perfect victory? Beyond that, it's not the mindswap itself that bothers me, it's the way Peter is killed. Sure, it's comics and odds are he'll be back eventually, but in the meantime it was a shitty way to send off a great, relateable chracter, possibly one of the only truly relateable characters in the big two's stable.[DOUBLEPOST=1356376102][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, that eyeroll emoticon being used in an argument makes you look like a smug douche. Why do people use that?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So, basically, comics are terrible because it's the same old stories over and over, unless they do something different, because then it's terrible for not being the same.

Adam

Adam

What I've read of this is actually pretty good, and Miles is an interesting character. His new powerset is fun, too. The thing with Ultimate Spider-Man, though is

[DOUBLEPOST=1356376025][/DOUBLEPOST]

But how many of those swaps ended with the hero dying in a broken, dying husk of a body while the villain pulls off a perfect victory? Beyond that, it's not the mindswap itself that bothers me, it's the way Peter is killed. Sure, it's comics and odds are he'll be back eventually, but in the meantime it was a shitty way to send off a great, relateable chracter, possibly one of the only truly relateable characters in the big two's stable.[DOUBLEPOST=1356376102][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, that eyeroll emoticon being used in an argument makes you look like a smug douche. Why do people use that?
1. That's part of the frigging trope! Like I said earlier, spoiler alert: he gets better.
2. I am a smug douche!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

1. That's part of the frigging trope! Like I said earlier, spoiler alert: he gets better.
2. I am a smug douche!
But none of the comic book uses of the trope included killing off the hero, even if it was listed as part of the trope (listed as attempting to kill, not succeeding). Not that I saw, anyway. Also, just because it's been done before doesn't mean I found it was done well in this particular instance. Ultimate Spider-Man Peter Parker was a great, heroic death. This was not.

Adam

Adam

But none of the comic book uses of the trope included killing off the hero, even if it was listed as part of the trope (listed as attempting to kill, not succeeding). Not that I saw, anyway. Also, just because it's been done before doesn't mean I found it was done well in this particular instance. Ultimate Spider-Man Peter Parker was a great, heroic death. This was not.
Yeah I see your point. I couldn't believe they killed off

Adam Warlock
Alpha Flight
Angel
Ant-Man
Blink
Bucky
Cable
Captain America
Colossus
Cypher
Cyclops
Human Torch
Elektra
Harry Osborn
Havok
Hawkeye
Legion
Magik
Meggan
Mockingbird
Moon Knight
Mr Fantastic
Mystique
Nick Fury
Northstar
Phoenix
Psylocke
Rachel Summers
Sabretooth
Storm
Thor
Vision
Warlock
Wonder Man
X-Man

Edited for additional smugness: :rolleyes:

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Man, I don't know why you're so set on busting me over an opinion, but okay, sure, you win.

Adam

Adam

Man, I don't know why you're so set on busting me over an opinion, but okay, sure, you win.
At least I agreed with you on my smug doucheyness!

Covar

Covar

Par for the corse with a Marvel who sees nothing wrong with Peter making a Faustian deal with Satan.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Yeah, I looked through that. I really think Miles is a great replacement and it takes the Spider-Man comic back to what it was supposed to be.

Also, that whole thing with the Prowler was pretty powerful and I thought a great way for him to learn the 'great power/responsibility schtick'

I might need to pick up Ultimate Spider-Man's comic so I can figure out Spider-Woman's situation. Also, is Ultimatum worth reading?[DOUBLEPOST=1356384163][/DOUBLEPOST]Oooh, also did anyone read Spider-Men?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I might need to pick up Ultimate Spider-Man's comic so I can figure out Spider-Woman's situation. Also, is Ultimatum worth reading??
No. HELL no. It's worse than Ultimates 3. It's worse than One More Day. It's worse than the Clone Saga (the original). Let me say that again: IT'S WORSE THAN THE ORIGINAL CLONE SAGA.

I heard Spider-Men was pretty fun, though.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah, I didn't read Ultimatum but from what I understand it's pretty bad. If you're going to read pre-reset Ultimate comics, I'd stick to Ultimates 1 and 2, and Ultimate Spider-Man. I think Fantastic Four was alright, but it's been awhile. Iron Man was fucking stupid, though, and he's been my favorite Marvel since I was a kid.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Even though I heard the two Ultimate Iron Man mini-series were supposed to be good, I refuse to read them on the basis that Orson Scott Card is a raging homophobe who has declared war on gays. No, seriously. Same reason why I won't read Ender's Game.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Even though I heard the two Ultimate Iron Man mini-series were supposed to be good, I refuse to read them on the basis that Orson Scott Card is a raging homophobe who has declared war on gays. No, seriously. Same reason why I won't read Ender's Game.
Tony Stark's body is like 99% brain tissue, that's why he's so smart. He has to wear this coating over his flesh to protect the sensitive brain matter from everything, including the air. Also, his IM suit looks like a Goddamn gorilla.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Wow, that sounds pretty stupid.

T

The_Khan

really? can you provide an example?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

strawman

strawman

It's the same reasoning ThatNickGuy refuses to watch Roman Polansky films, on account of Polansky being a pedophile and rapist.

Oh wait, he doesn't avoid Polansky films. By his logic then he supports pedophilia and rape.

I mean if we're going to derail a thread because we've got an axe to grind, ThatNickGuy, then we might as well go full bore.

Kovac

Kovac

I suddenly remembered this older PA strip

Vrii

Vrii

Why not borrow them from a library or something and judge them on their own merits? You wouldn't be supporting someone whose views you disagree with, and you'd still get a chance to experience quality stories!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It's the same reasoning ThatNickGuy refuses to watch Roman Polansky films, on account of Polansky being a pedophile and rapist.

Oh wait, he doesn't avoid Polansky films. By his logic then he supports pedophilia and rape.

I mean if we're going to derail a thread because we've got an axe to grind, ThatNickGuy, then we might as well go full bore.
So far as I know, I've never seen a Roman Polansky film. And similarly, I've actually avoided his films since finding out about his actions.[DOUBLEPOST=1356412799][/DOUBLEPOST]
Why not borrow them from a library or something and judge them on their own merits? You wouldn't be supporting someone whose views you disagree with, and you'd still get a chance to experience quality stories!
Because frankly speaking, I don't want to waste my time with his work if that's what his viewpoint is.

Vrii

Vrii

If you're only willing to read or watch things produced by people who agree with you, I have to imagine your collection is pretty tiny.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

If you're only willing to read or watch things produced by people who agree with you, I have to imagine your collection is pretty tiny.
Not the same. This is someone who has openly admitted hatred for a certain part of the population, demonizing them. This isn't just a differing opinion. This is homophobia and gay bashing at its worst. Had I not known about his opinions before getting a chance to read his work, I would have. But now that I do, I won't.

Now, that's the last I'm saying on this. You can continue trolling to your heart's content because I won't read ONE particular author out of the scores of others out there. I've read a lot of great sci-fi in my lifetime and I really doubt my life will be greatly lacking by not reading one series or book. I'm walking away from this argument that I'm sorry that I bloody well started in the first place. I'm going to bed.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I'm just gonna say I read Enders game long before I knew about his homophobia and I never would've guessed that he was that way. He's never let that impact his writing.

strawman

strawman

So far as I know, I've never seen a Roman Polansky film. And similarly, I've actually avoided his films since finding out about his actions.[DOUBLEPOST=1356412799][/DOUBLEPOST]

Because frankly speaking, I don't want to waste my time with his work if that's what his viewpoint is.

I am sorry for poking at you about it, and respect your position.

T

The_Khan

well shit... would never have guessed from reading his books.

BananaHands

BananaHands

So, Spider-Man...

Adam

Adam

Does whatever a Spider can

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Spins a web, any size.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Catches thieves, just like flies.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Featuring Spider-Man's greatest villains! Green Goblin! Doctor...Doom? Fat neckbeard in a welding mask! Lex Luthor with eye-lasers!

Adam

Adam

Featuring Spider-Man's greatest villains! Green Goblin! Doctor...Doom? Fat neckbeard in a welding mask! Lex Luthor with eye-lasers!

C-C-C-C-Combo breaker

Zappit

Zappit

But seriously, THIS is why we want Peter Parker back as fast as possible.

bhamv3

bhamv3

That last one reminds me of Deadpool laughing at that chicken guy.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Every once in awhile you get that one writer that just has fun with a character like that. I miss those kinds of comics that aren't just Deadpool.

Though apparently Brian Posehn wrote a few Deadpool issues that I've been meaning to read, as he's one of my favorite comedians.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Is Black Cat is bouncing around? I can see SpOck and Black Cat getting along well enough.

Also, Avenging Spider-Man 15.1 is aight. I can sneakily send it to anyone who wants it.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Is Black Cat is bouncing around? I can see SpOck and Black Cat getting along well enough.

Also, Avenging Spider-Man 15.1 is aight. I can sneakily send it to anyone who wants it.
I think my favorite part of AvSM was that first page with SpOck gloating over the swap, and thinking to myself "our hero, ladies and gents." I have to admit after reading the whole comic, though, I'm thinking there's some great opportunity to make this Superior Spider-Man run pretty good.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I think my favorite part of AvSM was that first page with SpOck gloating over the swap, and thinking to myself "our hero, ladies and gents." I have to admit after reading the whole comic, though, I'm thinking there's some great opportunity to make this Superior Spider-Man run pretty good.
I'm intrigued by this part:

Calleja

Calleja

GODDAMMIT!!!!!!!!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

That's it... fuck the haters, I'm reading this.

Where do I need to start?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Amazing Spider-Man 698 is the start of the mind-swap, I'd start at about 650 or so if you want all of the author's (Dan Slott) run leading up to 700.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I'm putting together 698, 699, 699.1 and 700 (As long as the entire Miles run in the ultimate universe) together for The_Khan if you want in?[DOUBLEPOST=1356586194][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh and Avenging Spider-Man 15.1

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Oh Stan, you card.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm putting together 698, 699, 699.1 and 700 (As long as the entire Miles run in the ultimate universe) together for The_Khan if you want in?[DOUBLEPOST=1356586194][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh and Avenging Spider-Man 15.1
Wait, what am I getting in on? This isn't a suicide pact, is it? Because I was in one of those and let me tell you... it doesn't end well.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

You know I like the idea of having a pompous Spider-Man for awhile, I just don't like the fact they used such a stupid contrived reason for it. I don't buy comics to watch the hero die a slow death while his "murderer" gets to be the hero. I don't want to be "rooting" for Doc Ock in a stolen body.

Though I give this a few months at most because they find a way to get Peter Parker back in.

Zappit

Zappit

Instinct, eh? Either Parker had more influence over his old body than Ock would have thought, or Peter is going to slowly but surely re-emerge as some latent presence and take over.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I'm sure what's left of Peter will manifest itself into this conscience or aspect of Doc's personality that'll convince/pester the Doc until he does the right thing.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I will give Slott a pass if Peter shows up as his Spider-conscience and makes him go insane.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I will give Slott a pass if Peter shows up as his Spider-conscience and makes him go insane.
That's sort of how it already went down.

http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/4165698.html

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

That's sort of how it already went down.

http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/4165698.html
No, I mean not as part of the lame "origin" event, but as an ongoing sarcastic shoulder angel.

Zappit

Zappit

Boy, the next Sinister Six reunion is gonna be awwwwwwwkward!

BananaHands

BananaHands

Boy, the next Sinister Six reunion is gonna be awwwwwwwkward!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Okay, that line was actually pretty good.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It's kind of sad when The Shocker has the most legitimacy of all the characters in the new Sinister Six.

Zappit

Zappit

We'll see him using the robotic arms soon enough. If he wants to be a better Spider-Man, he'll want to max out his offensive capabilities. Besides, it's Ock; he'll be very tempted to utilize them.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I am probably getting this comic next time I get the chance. Still teetering on the fence though like a dish but still.

phil

phil

We'll see him using the robotic arms soon enough. If he wants to be a better Spider-Man, he'll want to max out his offensive capabilities. Besides, it's Ock; he'll be very tempted to utilize them.
The iron spider costume kind of has Oct like legs. Maybe he'll bust that out if its still around.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

He also briefly wore Ock's arms after Ock died during the Clone Saga back in the nineties.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

He also briefly wore Ock's arms after Ock died during the Clone Saga back in the nineties.
I remember a comic in which a fat kid stole those arms and tried to be spider-man. He was upset that Spider-Man had taken to the black costume at the time, because he no longer matched.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Wasn't that one of the alternate universe versions of Spider-Man from the 90's cartoon?
1188990-spider_man_animated_series_spider_wars_super.jpg

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Wasn't that one of the alternate universe versions of Spider-Man from the 90's cartoon?
View attachment 9463
Hah, I like that Scarlet Spider is in there.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

On the topic of Scarlet Spider, anyone wonder if Spidercide will make a come-back? If so, he should be hilarious. Because with those bell-bottoms I don't see how he could be a serious character.

Bowielee

Bowielee

On the topic of Scarlet Spider, anyone wonder if Spidercide will make a come-back? If so, he should be hilarious. Because with those bell-bottoms I don't see how he could be a serious character.
Spidercide should never EVER be seen, heard from, or mentioned again. It was around his introduction that I stopped reading Spider-Man.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

If he were a serious character than yes! I would agree, he deserved to die his nonsensical death. BUT- if they pulled some Grant Morrison type shit and reinvented him, than maybe. Like he'd realize how stupid a character he was as well as his name, that would be awesome.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I'm not a comic nerd and I'm actually starting to get tempted to see where this goes. Not in a "this is a great ay for Spidey to go", because it isn't, but as a short span? I can see myself liking this Spider for a couple of issues, given they don't completely blow it. And I'm alwyas a fan of Spidey with 8 appendages :p

BananaHands

BananaHands

New favorite thing about Miles Moralas: Ganke

Frank

Frank

It was cute in the Spider-Man musical episode of Ultimate Spider-Man, when Paulson showed Peter Parker who was selected in front of him to play Spider-Man in the musical, one of the names was Miles Morales.

That sentence sounds terrible, but that cartoon actually isn't that bad.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

How does it compare to Spectacular?

Frank

Frank

Not as good in some ways, but it can actually be more enjoyable as it definitely strays from the norm of most from scratch Spider-Man stuff seem to stick to. Unfortunately, it goes the route of the hulking out super monster Green Goblin from Ultimate Spider-Man which I really, really didn't like in the comics and just as little in the cartoon. It's far more team based with him having to work with White Tiger, Nova, Iron Fist and Power Man all the time.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I just caught up to current Ultimate Spider-Man, and I have to say it's pretty good. Weird stuff going on in the universe, though, some of which I don't know much about. Reed Richards did something and the US is all fucked up, plus Cap just got elected President.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I just caught up to current Ultimate Spider-Man, and I have to say it's pretty good. Weird stuff going on in the universe, though, some of which I don't know much about. Reed Richards did something and the US is all fucked up, plus Cap just got elected President.
Same boat as you. Reed being a bad guy confuses me.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm pretty sure Ultimate Spiderman is based on the Ultimates Universe, which is why things are different. I'm also pretty sure the "Cap gets elected president" storyline happened there and Reed Richards is kinda awful in that universe as well.

It's a decent show, as they have Man of Action working on it. Those would be the guys responsible for the first 3 Ben 10 incarnations and Generator Rex (which I thought needed more seasons).

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'm pretty sure Ultimate Spiderman is based on the Ultimates Universe, which is why things are different. I'm also pretty sure the "Cap gets elected president" storyline happened there and Reed Richards is kinda awful in that universe as well.
Yeah I know, I just haven't kept up with much of the Ultimate stuff since Ultimatum/Ultimates 3, as it was all pretty terrible.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Speaking of good super hero cartoons, the current Avengers cartoon is great. If they get renewed for another season, I think Civil War is coming. They did an excellent job of covering the Live Kree or Die, Secret Invasion, and Operation Galactic Storm, all in one season.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Speaking of good super hero cartoons, the current Avengers cartoon is great. If they get renewed for another season, I think Civil War is coming. They did an excellent job of covering the Live Kree or Die, Secret Invasion, and Operation Galactic Storm, all in one season.
I know for awhile they wanted to drop it and make a new Avengers show that was more in-line with the movies, but I'm not sure if they are moving forward with that anymore. Honestly, I've never really gotten into the Avengers show and have enjoyed Iron Man: Armored Adventures much more. However, no one is really sure if they are doing a third season of that yet, as the end of season two was called a season finale and not a series one.

Adam

Adam

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes?

Because that's already been cancelled. and it was pretty fantastic.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm kinda hoping for a Freakazoid-inspired Deadpool cartoon someday, but that's not going to happen until he gets his own movie.

Does anyone think it's odd that the superhero who got his powers from the internet (Freakazoid) and consequently became a hyperactive nerd with random humor perfectly embodies the internet as it exists now? And that this happened years before the net really took off?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I watched the Beta Ray Bill episode of EMH, and it was pretty good. Might get around to the rest eventually. All the Marvel toons are on Netflix now, seems like.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

A freakazoid-style Deadpool cartoon could be the greatest thing ever.

Or just make a TV version of Cable vs. Deadpool.

Frank

Frank

I watched the Beta Ray Bill episode of EMH, and it was pretty good. Might get around to the rest eventually. All the Marvel toons are on Netflix now, seems like.
Earth's Mightiest Heroes might as well be called Marvel character porn. If you like the Marvel universe, it's definitely enjoyable.

T

The_Khan

A freakazoid-style Deadpool cartoon could be the greatest thing ever.

Or just make a TV version of Cable vs. Deadpool.
or make another freakazoid.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes?

Because that's already been cancelled. and it was pretty fantastic.
It was, and I sure wish it went on for another season to tie up the whole Surtur arc. I still go back and watch some scenes, like when Thor beheads Ultron after Vision disconnects his neck. Actually that show made me love Thor again, just because his badass level was off the charts.

phil

phil

Between Earth's Mightiest Heroes and the Ultimate Spiderman cartoon I've been really weirded out about the SHIELD helicarrier. I mean it's this huge battle fortress designed to house and utilize some of the most powerful weapons ever. It holds like a thousand SHIELD agents who are the most highly trained people on earth and it just kinda floats there above New York.

Another reason that New York is a bullshit town. The Avengers, Fantastic Four, Spiderman, Daredevil and the friggin' helicarrier are all there because fuck the rest of the country.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm extremely sad to hear that Earth's Mightiest Heroes will not be returning. I thought the show was the Justice League Unlimited of the Marvel universe.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Between Earth's Mightiest Heroes and the Ultimate Spiderman cartoon I've been really weirded out about the SHIELD helicarrier. I mean it's this huge battle fortress designed to house and utilize some of the most powerful weapons ever. It holds like a thousand SHIELD agents who are the most highly trained people on earth and it just kinda floats there above New York.

Another reason that New York is a bullshit town. The Avengers, Fantastic Four, Spiderman, Daredevil and the friggin' helicarrier are all there because fuck the rest of the country.
Think about how often shit happens in New York that actually needs that kind of protection... and now think about how often it happens elsewhere. How many super villains are going to start shit in Columbus, Ohio? How about Nebraska? Omaha? North Carolina?

There's a reason most states only have a single team or individual protecting them from major threats. It's because they just don't have much worth attacking.

T

The_Khan

The Port Alberni panther squad of justice! 20 years without a major villian. PAP squad assemble!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Actually, I suppose I should retract my earlier statement about Columbus, Ohio considering we have Dr. Universe and Gretta Gravity attacking all the time. Spinnerette, Mecha Maid, and Tiger just can't keep up it seems. Thank god we have the Canadians showing up to help all the time...

I really appreciate Spinnerette for the detail it uses. It's clearly drawn by someone who lives in the Columbus area and understands what exactly is here. The Laughing Ogre is probably the most famous comic/P&P store in the area and Ohio Research University is clearly OSU, which makes most of it's money from it's research department.

figmentPez

figmentPez

So, what superhero teams are protecting Houston, TX? Fourth largest city in the US, an intercontinental airport, major shipping port, NASA, second highest number of fortune 500 companies after New York...

Let's not kid ourselves. New York and California get a lot of superheroes because they're iconic cities that have also had a lot of movies and TV shows set in them. Both writers and readers are familiar with them, so it's easier to set comics in those locations. Cities that haven't had as much time on screen are harder to set comics in because there are fewer people who feel like they're familiar with them.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So, what superhero teams are protecting Houston, TX? Fourth largest city in the US, an intercontinental airport, major shipping port, NASA, second highest number of fortune 500 companies after New York...
According to the Marvel Wiki, they have The Rangers, which includes...

- Firebird
- Phantom Rider
- Red Wolf
- Shooting Star
- Texas Twister
- Armadillo
- Living Lightning

So yeah, you guys managed out pretty good. All Ohio has is Howard the Duck since Machine Man left.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm not sure if I should be proud that we have the Great Lakes Avengers (or whatever they're calling themselves nowadays). On the one hand, they're a joke group, on the other, Squirrel Girl is awesome.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm not sure if I should be proud that we have the Great Lakes Avengers (or whatever they're calling themselves nowadays). On the one hand, they're a joke group, on the other, Squirrel Girl is awesome.
Actually, last time I checked Squirrel girl wasn't doing heroics anymore. She's currently working as the nanny for Luke Cage's daughter Danielle and lives in the Avengers Mansion.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Actually, last time I checked Squirrel girl wasn't doing heroics anymore. She's currently working as the nanny for Luke Cage's daughter Danielle and lives in the Avengers Mansion.
Still awesome :p

She defeated Thanos, Dr. Doom and Ego.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

She's beaten tons of big-league villains in canon, apparently, Thanos included. She's also hilarious. I agree completely.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

She's beaten tons of big-league villains in canon, apparently, Thanos included. She's also hilarious. I agree completely.
No. :mad:

Espy

Espy

The reason no villains attack Houston is because no one, not even villains, want to go to Houston if they can avoid it.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Her list of people that she had defeated includes:

Mandarin
Dr. Doom (Twice)
MODOK
Thanos
Terrax
Bi-Beast
Deadpool
Pluto
Fin Fang Foom
Baron Mordo
Korvac
Ego the Living Planet
Wolverine

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Wikipedia said:
Squirrel Girl's defeat of Thanos is an ambiguous one. Uatu was present at the battle and claimed that Squirrel Girl defeated the genuine Thanos and not a clone or copy.[11] Thanos has since revealed that he has perfected a means of creating clones of himself that could fool even "the most cosmic of beings." Adding to the ambiguity is the fact the reveal comes from the mind of a clone whose memory had been altered.[21]
Yay ambiquity. Honestly, I like squirrel girl enough as a character (I like her little post-civil war talk with Penance), but taking her off-screen/writer fiat fights seriously is silly.

Covar

Covar

Taking squirrel girl seriously as a character is silly.

fade

fade

Your FACE is silly.

Also Spidey's web-slinging travel method would suck in Houston. There's like 14 downtown-like skyscraper clusters widely scattered, and nothing happens in them anyway. He'd have to have a spidey-mobile, but then he'd just get caught in traffic anyway.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Taking squirrel girl seriously as a character is silly.
Probably true. Non-serious characters can still be worth reading, of course (see also: Deadpool).

Covar

Covar

Probably true. Non-serious characters can still be worth reading, of course (see also: Deadpool).
Or more analogous to squirrel girl, Lobo.

Adam

Adam

Machine Man is decidedly non-serious. Howard the Duck.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Machine Man is decidedly non-serious. Howard the Duck.
Machine Man has vacillated between serious and not serious so often, I never know what to expect with a book with him in it.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Your FACE is silly.

Also Spidey's web-slinging travel method would suck in Houston. There's like 14 downtown-like skyscraper clusters widely scattered, and nothing happens in them anyway. He'd have to have a spidey-mobile, but then he'd just get caught in traffic anyway.
He doesn't just use skyscrapers. He also uses any low lying buildies or even lamp posts to do a -slingshot- to higher/further areas.

Bowielee

Bowielee

The reason no villains attack Houston is because no one, not even villains, want to go to Houston if they can avoid it.
phantom-zone-villains.jpg

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Machine Man has vacillated between serious and not serious so often, I never know what to expect with a book with him in it.
Yeah, I like him best in Marvel Zombies.

fade

fade

The Dark Knight movies were the best Spider-Man movies I've seen. Batman totally stole his 'hated by the police and public' gig.

Calleja

Calleja

LOTS of modern superheroes stole the "no one understands me, I must run from those I protect" from Spidey, before him superheroes were god-like, including Batman.

Frank

Frank

Machine Man in Nextwave was pretty smagical.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Machine Man in Nextwave was pretty smagical.
This. Nextwave was magical.

Though he pretty damn great in Marvel Zombies as well.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Superior Spider-Man 1 spoilers:

SpOck fights a shitty Sinister Six, beats them with a solid plan, and gets the last member down and bloodied on the ground:

Terrik

Terrik

Oh. Wow. Color me surprised.

Calleja

Calleja

Huh. So Superior Spider-Man has an end date since issue one, so it's gonna be like a long mini-series, and then back to like maybe a new numbering of Amazing Spider-Man?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Dunno, the writer's keeping the story really close.
I think everyone knew Parker was gonna be back, but I guess him showing up like this means we're in for some Dr. Strange and the like?

Calleja

Calleja

Yeah, I mean, we knew he was coming back, but not SO fast, this kinda makes it obvious he'll be back, and soon. Which kinda defeats the whole point of the re-naming and everything.

I'm glad though. Spidey's Peter Parker. Period.

Espy

Espy

ermagawd! Surprahses!

tegid

tegid

This makes a lot of sense. I didn't expect it to happen so soon, but it was bound to happen at some point (there were hints already).

Bubble181

Bubble181

Pfft.
Technically, Superman alone should be able to protect all of Earth against almost anyone and everything [that gets within a few light minutes of the sun], depending on what era you choose. Why anyone would have a superhero protect just one city I don't get. No offense, but if I was a thug in NYC and there was acape around, I'd move to New Je...ehh, Philadelphia or Boston. If every other city has a "super"hero, they're not very super anymore.

Also, nobody cares about protecting Brussels, I think we're still stuck with Tintin and Asterix to protect us :p

BananaHands

BananaHands

Psst.... hey guys....

...Superior Spider-Man #1[DOUBLEPOST=1357671124][/DOUBLEPOST]And I actually really enjoyed #1 until
that stupid Peter Parker ghost thing happened.

Bah.

fade

fade

Hmm. Nobody thinks the sudden IQ boost is odd? The official word from Marvel was that Parker was gifted, but not genius level.

Calleja

Calleja

Hmm. Nobody thinks the sudden IQ boost is odd? The official word from Marvel was that Parker was gifted, but not genius level.
I dunno, Pete's done some very genius-level shit.. including creating and designing the webshooters AND the webfluid which, I dunno if this has changed, no one seemed able to reproduce.

Adam

Adam

Apologies accepted!

tegid

tegid

Psst.... hey guys....

...Superior Spider-Man #1[DOUBLEPOST=1357671124][/DOUBLEPOST]And I actually really enjoyed #1 until
that stupid Peter Parker ghost thing happened.

Bah.
Yeah it could've been more subtle... Like it was being up to that point.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Yeah it could've been more subtle... Like it was being up to that point.
Seriously. They could have kept up with him having these knee-jerk reactions like the 'instinct' in 15.1, but they just had to shove it down our throats there in issue #1.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Oh, and it looks like this is getting him kicked off the Avengers, according to the teaser image from Marvel.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Oh, and it looks like this is getting him kicked off the Avengers, according to the teaser image from Marvel.
Wolverine's head looks like a thumb.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Wolverine's head looks like a thumb.
Humberto Ramos draws necks like tree trunks and women with strong, manly jawlines. I really hate his art.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Humberto Ramos draws necks like tree trunks and women with strong, manly jawlines. I really hate his art.
Oh, god. That isn't Hawkeye wearing a red wig then....

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Subtlety in a mainstream superhero comic? Heh, right. They can't even make a status quo change without three mini-series and an annual to explain it.

Calleja

Calleja

The "I'LL BE BACK!" scream Ghost Pete made was really stupid and over-the-top, at least for the first issue. That should have been at the very least 5 or 6 issues before he actually returned, because we ALL know now that he will return and soon. Cause it's Peter Parker and he's screaming "I'LL BE BACK!". It almost like bringing him back already. Didn't even let the SpOck thing play out more. Lame.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Unless they're actually not bringing him back. Everything makes it obvious he'll return, and then... he doesn't. There'll be a big buildup, ghost-Peter finds a way to regain his body, and it turns out at the last minute that Octavius has thought of it already and stops him. Peter stays a ghost, subverting everyone's expectations.

At least for a while. Cause yeah, he'll be back. Eventually.

fade

fade

I dunno, Pete's done some very genius-level shit.. including creating and designing the webshooters AND the webfluid which, I dunno if this has changed, no one seemed able to reproduce.
Yeah, but Lee himself said "gifted but not genius". I agree that the shooters are impressive, but not unbelievable for someone who is gifted. (Check out hackaday.com for real-life gifted engineering.) Ock is genius-level, though. Reed Richards has come to him for help in the past. Seems like someone would notice that aspect.

tegid

tegid

But that was changed some time ago. I mean, Peter's job has been 'being a genius' for a while.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Intelligence levels vary according to need. Reed R is sometimes the Smartest man on Earth, sometimes just smart. Dr Doom same. Ock same. heck, Batman is supposedly amongst the best and brightest of the world, but he's downright stupid when plot demands it.

That said, I'm going to say Peter Parker'l lbe back in 3 or 4 issues, and only after that will we get the actual "Superior Spiderman" - parker again, but with newfound...whatever - powers, intelligence, bravado, mechanical arms, whatever they want to throw in.

strawman

strawman

He was always, always interested in and good at science. As far as I'm concerned, Gifted + LotsOfEffort = Genius.

Bubble181

Bubble181

He was always, always interested in and good at science. As far as I'm concerned, Gifted + LotsOfEffort = Genius.
I dunno. Various variations have him in late high school/lower college. He was younger than the "adult" Superman/Batman/etc. A kid who happens to be good at science, doesn't magically become Stephen Hawking.

Anyway, I assume this Parker is older anyway, and I haven't kept up at all....But the idea of Spidey was ahero more relatable for teenagers/regular people than the superrich and superpowerful - his problems are more down to earth. I don't see how being a Spergenius fits in that picture, other than allowing nerds yet another power fantasy.

fade

fade

But that was changed some time ago. I mean, Peter's job has been 'being a genius' for a while.
See, I see "pretty good marvel universe engineer" more than Reed or Victor. But I admit, I haven't read too many issues lately.

I'm in complete agreement that he's an excellent scientist (or engineer), but he's no Ock. I always liked that idea, which may be biasing me, I admit. I liked that he was the Blue Beetle, not Lex Luthor.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I used to love those old Marvel Cards that had the -Power Bar Ratings- on the back. You could -size- up people against each other, I had always felt they were pretty accurate.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I used to love those old Marvel Cards that had the -Power Bar Ratings- on the back. You could -size- up people against each other, I had always felt they were pretty accurate.
I still have a whole box of those! I should open it up and see where he stands.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I still have a whole box of those! I should open it up and see where he stands.
Same here, still have my binder full of them and a box with the rest. I really should dig through it too sometime. Unfortunately it's in the garage and it's freaking rainy/cold outside right now.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I always got so angry with those sets you just had to complete. It'd be like this epic battle that you had to put together with 9 cards and every time I'd get like 15 of the middle card.

BananaHands

BananaHands

We should just make a catch-all Marvel thread. Or just jump to that Marvel NOW thread because I wanna talk about All-New X-Men and stuffz.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

We should just make a catch-all Marvel thread. Or just jump to that Marvel NOW thread because I wanna talk about All-New X-Men and stuffz.
Shit I still have the holograms from that original first set. The Magneto and the Spider-Man.

Damn this nostalgia, I'm considering making a break for the garage.... As for jumping to the Marvel thread, I have zero interest in comics today, so I wouldn't be much help there.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I had planned to make this a Marvel general thread and just start off with Spidey, but I wasn't sure there'd be enough interest. Feel free to talk about whatever though, not much more going on with SM till Superior #2.

Time-travelling X-Men and Beast's new look, for example. I dislike both.

Covar

Covar

It will take some getting used too, better than the cat look though.

Calleja

Calleja

Beast has ANOTHER new look? SO SOON!? Is it like an insect now or something?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I really liked his most recent, with the scruff that looked like a beard. This new one just looks weird to me.

Tress

Tress

Beast has ANOTHER new look? SO SOON!? Is it like an insect now or something?

Calleja

Calleja

That's the previous look, cat beast.

The new one that just happened is this one:

Tress

Tress

Damn, I'm even more behind than I thought. And that looks like shit.

bhamv3

bhamv3

He looks like a Librarian from Metro 2033.

Adam

Adam

He looks like Abomination, just blue and fuzzy.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

PS: the guy holding Beast up is Beast.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

That's what I was about to ask, is the guy on the left Hank McCoy? Who is the slightly Apocolypse looking guy on the right?

Adam

Adam

PS: the guy holding Beast up is Beast.
The guy holding up Blue Hank is the Hank McCoy from the past who Blue Hank brought from the past along with the other original X-men to talk Cyclops out of his rampage after the Phoenix War.

Calleja

Calleja

That's what I was about to ask, is the guy on the left Hank McCoy? Who is the slightly Apocolypse looking guy on the right?
They're both Hank, just past and present.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

The guy holding up Blue Hank is the Hank McCoy from the past who Blue Hank brought from the past along with the other original X-men to talk Cyclops out of his rampage after the Phoenix War.
Yeah, and now the past X-Men want to find him and stop him, even though present Beast decided he wants to send them back. So now there's a Jean Grey from the past who knows exactly what's going to happen to her running around. Also, nobody wants to tell Archangel what happened to him (and I don't blame them, it is fucked up).

bhamv3

bhamv3

"We're all going to star in X-Men: Last Stand! WAAAAAAHH!!"

Calleja

Calleja

Wait, what happened to Archangel? I thought he went by that name only AFTER the horseman of Apocalypse metal wings thing?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Wait, what happened to Archangel? I thought he went by that name only AFTER the horseman of Apocalypse metal wings thing?
Basically this happened (Wikipedia copy/paste, too lazy to type it out myself):

In X-Force (vol. 3) #4, Warren is brutally attacked by a mind-controlled Wolfsbane. During the attack, Wolfsbane savagely rips Warren's wings from his back and runs away, taking the wings with her.[42] It is revealed by Elixir that Warren's wings are still techno-organic constructs that he is unable to heal.Wolfsbane later delivers them to the Purifiers, who are seeking the Apocalypse Strain, the techno-organics, which comprise Warren's wings. The Purifiers use the Apocalypse Strain to modify an army of Purifier agents, giving them the same metallic wings that Archangel once had. Meanwhile, although Elixir is able to heal all of Warren's injuries, he cannot regrow his wings due to interference from the Apocalypse Strain. Later in the story, Warren is gripped by a series of excruciating seizures that not only mysteriously regenerate his techno-organic wings, but also transform him back into Apocalypse's version of Death/Archangel, complete with blue skin and a techno-organic version of his uniform.[43]
X-Force attacks Archangel, who eventually asks for relief from the pain of losing his wings and transforming into Archangel.[44] However, at the last minute, Archangel escapes into the night, intent on taking vengeance against the Purifiers. Warren arrives at the Purifiers' headquarters and slaughters most of them in a blood-maddened rage. However, once the battle is over, he reverts back to his normal Caucasian, feather-winged appearance. He comments to Logan that he can still feel the metal wings inside him, however, and that they want to come out again. According to Elixir, Warren's transformation is permanent, implying that he is fully capable of transforming back into Archangel again at any time.[45]
In an attempt to understand what was done to both Wolfsbane and Angel, the pair of them are placed in a room together, where Rahne is forced to gaze at Warren. The mere sight of him causes her to become murderous once again, and she attempts to rip the wings from Warren's body once more. The sight of a psychotic Wolfsbane, as well as the fear of having his wings torn from his body again, causes a defensive reaction in Warren, reverting him back into his violent Archangel persona.
From then on, Angel takes dual membership with both the X-Men and X-Force, though Cyclops forbids Angel from telling the rest of the team about the return of his Archangel powers.[volume & issue needed] However, while recruiting a scientist for Beast's "Science Squad", the X-Club, Angel is forced to transform into Archangel in order to destroy a giant rampaging monster. Beast reacts in anger that Angel has not told him that his "Death" powers have returned, creating tension between the two friends. Angel knows telling Beast would expose the latest incarnation of X-Force and effectively end Cyclops' latest tenure as leader if the truth about his personal black ops squad became public knowledge.[volume & issue needed]
During the X-Club's trip to 1906 in order to discover the origins of the modern mutant race, Angel transforms into Archangel a number of times to help further their mission.
During the Fear Itself storyline, Wolverine and Archangel interrogate Purifiers member Benedict Ryan on where Jonathan Standish is hiding out.

Bowielee

Bowielee

He's gone back and forth. Most recently, he was basically mindwiped to get rid of the Death personality, but it also wiped out the Warren Worthington III personality. For a while he thought he actually was an angel.

Calleja

Calleja

Wow, that poor dude. It really has gone to weird places since Stan Lee created a guy with wings that could fly.

fade

fade

That's because just having wings is pretty lame when your teammates are an Omega class telekinetic, a guy who can fire particle beams from his friggin' eyes, a guy with the power to freeze anything, and a genius monkey-man with super-strength and agility. "Oh and what can you do?" "I can fly. At normal speed. And I can't really carry much weight." "..." "Oh, and I'm rich"

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

They've given him other stuff, apparently, to compensate. Now he's got near-superhuman reflexes, can fight in melee as well as Wolverine does, has hollow bones like a bird, and barely needs to eat because of a super-efficient metabolism. He can also fly non-stop for about half a day.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Doesn't Angel have healing powers now, as well? And his blood can heal people of the same blood type?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Doesn't Angel have healing powers now, as well? And his blood can heal people of the same blood type?
That was introduced in Chuck Austen's run. Given how terrible a writer he is, people have tried to forget about his run entirely.

Bowielee

Bowielee

It was during the "secondary mutation" era, which is also what led to the stupid cat-beast. The healing blood was Angel's secondary mutation, as was Emma Frost's diamond skin.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

It was during the "secondary mutation" era, which is also what led to the stupid cat-beast. The healing blood was Angel's secondary mutation, as was Emma Frost's diamond skin.
Oh speaking of Emma, apparently she's not psychic anymore and only has diamond skin as a power. This is hearsay, though, so she might have it back.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Oh speaking of Emma, apparently she's not psychic anymore and only has diamond skin as a power. This is hearsay, though, so she might have it back.
I just had a mental image of Emma Frost alongside a fellow team mate with super strength, in a battle.

"Toss me."
"What?"
"I cannot read their minds, you'll have to toss me. Don't tell the Hellfire Club?"
"Not a word."

*hurls Diamond Emma at the enemy*

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I just had a mental image of Emma Frost alongside a fellow team mate with super strength, in a battle.

"Toss me."
"What?"
"I cannot read their minds, you'll have to toss me. Don't tell the Hellfire Club?"
"Not a word."

*hurls Diamond Emma at the enemy*
Well, with Logan gone, someone's gotta be the fastball. I think it was in Avengers V X-Men, but someone else let Colossus throw them. I want to say X-23, but I can't remember for sure.

BananaHands

BananaHands

The art in Thunderbolts annoys me.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

The art in Thunderbolts annoys me.
I haven't even touched TB, I hear nothing but bad things. I've been mainly planning to keep up on Superior, All-new X-Men, and maybe the new Avengers. I'd like to read Iron Man, but Greg Land is a hack artist. All his men have same-face and all the women either look like they're having an orgasm or giving someone the bedroom-eyes.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I haven't even touched TB, I hear nothing but bad things. I've been mainly planning to keep up on Superior, All-new X-Men, and maybe the new Avengers. I'd like to read Iron Man, but Greg Land is a hack artist. All his men have same-face and all the women either look like they're having an orgasm or giving someone the bedroom-eyes.
Yeah, TB is pretty bad. Cable and the X-Force has potential... Thor's been pretty solid too. I just Uncanny Avengers came out on time.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Oh, also the new Iron Man suit looks fucking stupid.

HELMET ON A HELMET

Another shot, here you can also see Land's recurring phobia of drawing hips.

Calleja

Calleja

Well, with Logan gone, someone's gotta be the fastball. I think it was in Avengers V X-Men, but someone else let Colossus throw them. I want to say X-23, but I can't remember for sure.
Wait, where did Logan go?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Wait, where did Logan go?
After Avengers vs. X-Men, Cyclops basically went all Magneto on humanity and Wolverine wanted no part of it. He started a school in the old Xavier building, while Cyclops is off with Magneto, Emma and a few others doing the mutant terrorist thing. I don't remember what Colossus did after the events.[DOUBLEPOST=1357899486][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah, TB is pretty bad. Cable and the X-Force has potential... Thor's been pretty solid too. I just Uncanny Avengers came out on time.
Oh, I forgot all about Thor. It's great so far with the whole God-killer and time-jumping storyline.

tegid

tegid

After Avengers vs. X-Men, Cyclops basically went all Magneto on humanity and Wolverine wanted no part of it. He started a school in the old Xavier building, while Cyclops is off with Magneto, Emma and a few others doing the mutant terrorist thing. I don't remember what Colossus did after the events.[DOUBLEPOST=1357899486][/DOUBLEPOST]
No, Wolverine went away because of a discussion, more than a war, over wether kids should be X-Men and brought into their messes etc. Wolverine wanted to protect them, Cyclops saw mutantkind in a war for survival and thoght anyone who wanted to participate should be allowed to.

Colossus tried to get away from the world, is currently in Cable's X-Force.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm almost to the end of Avengers vs X-Men and holy shit, I hate this crossover and what it means for the X-franchise. There is no way in hell the majority of the X-Men would go along with this. It makes me very interested in reading the new run where beast brings the original team to the present.

Even Xavier's basically, "Whelp, I don't know what to do with you kids anymore, so I'm just going to bugger off"

Calleja

Calleja

You know the writers are grasping at straws when LOGAN is teh rational one

BananaHands

BananaHands

You know the writers are grasping at straws when LOGAN is teh rational one
I love how they're probably going to kick Spider-Man out of the avengers because he's too lethal when Wolverine is in the same team.

Calleja

Calleja

It's the whole Justin Bieber/Willie Nelson thing again :awesome:

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

That new Iron Man suit looks like Tony Stark and Ultraman got a little too friendly one night after a few drinks.

BananaHands

BananaHands

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Everytime I see the Ghostbusters symbol(ish), all I can think of is the Wax Audio mashup of it.

Calleja

Calleja

Everytime I see the Ghostbusters symbol(ish), all I can think of is the Wax Audio mashup of it.

Holy shit bro, before listening to that I would have considered mashing-up either song as heresy, but the result is... holy crap. This blew me away, it's fucking genius.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Holy shit bro, before listening to that I would have considered mashing-up either song as heresy, but the result is... holy crap. This blew me away, it's fucking genius.
It's really fucking eerie. But in an awesome way.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Since this has become a general comics discussion, I thought this might fit here:

1975664_original.gif

Get Fuzzy for 2013 Jan 11

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

So let's see here:

Collossus is now Juggernaut

Dr. Octopus is now Spider-man

Flash Thompson is now Venom

And Eddie Brock is dead Toxin probably, I don't know nor do I care any more.

What other pointless changes will come up in the whacky world of Marvel? Will the Human Torch become Ghost Rider? Will Deadpool become Invisible Woman? All good questions to possible story-lines that may sadly appear because Marvel is desperate and running out of ideas.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Well, Human Torch was dead for awhile. I guess he ended up being in some random alternate dimension or something, though. Flash is a pretty decent Venom, though, so I don't mind that.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Marvel shoulda done the "nuke it all" thing first instead of DCU. They were too busy with all the Avengers stuff, though.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Marvel shoulda done the "nuke it all" thing first instead of DCU. They were too busy with all the Avengers stuff, though.
I think the problem is that they DONT nuke it all and start truly from scratch. They partially carry over all kinds of -parts- instead of it being a true fresh start. Also doing cross-over events within your first 10-15 issues of a -brand-new- series is a sure fire way to get newbies to quit.

Zappit

Zappit

Oh, also the new Iron Man suit looks fucking stupid.

HELMET ON A HELMET.
It looks more like Tony Stark asked himself, "How can I make my helmet look like a luchador mask?"

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I thought Colossus was free of being the Juggernaut after Avengers vs. X-Men? Something like his sister, Ilyana, freed the crystal out of him or something.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I thought Colossus was free of being the Juggernaut after Avengers vs. X-Men? Something like his sister, Ilyana, freed the crystal out of him or something.
I don't even think he has the gem, Cytorrak just bestowed his power on Colossus. He's actually more powerful than the Juggernaut was because as he rages, his power grows out of his control. As for Magik taking away that power, I don't think so. During AvX, when they were both empowered by the Poenix Force, they attempted to force Cytorrak to release Colossus from his servitude and Cytorrak refused and even the Phoenix Force was unable to make him as he is not part of our dimension and the Phoenix Force had no power over him.

Bowielee

Bowielee

It looks more like Tony Stark asked himself, "How can I make my helmet look like a luchador mask?"
I think I see what they were trying to do. I think they were trying to make it look like Captain America's cowl, but yeah, it looks stupid as all hell.[DOUBLEPOST=1358053170][/DOUBLEPOST]Whelp, I was wrong, I looked up the Wikipedia on Colossus and Magik DID take away his powers with her soulsword. And she could have done it at any time, so Colossus is all pissed at her because she just made him keep the Juggernaut powers to teach him some kind of lesson.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm so glad I don't read these comics.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Mr. Octopus's Ride Never Ends!

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #17
DAN SLOTT (W) • RYAN STEGMAN (A/C)
Variant Cover by OLIVIER COIPEL
Spider-Man 2099 variant by JG Jones
• HE’S BACK...BECAUSE YOU (LOUDLY) DEMANDED IT! THE RETURN OF SPIDEY 2099!
• (and an Osborn you have not seen in a while)
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #18
• Superior Spider-Man vs. Spider-Man 2099. Who will be the most superior Spider in the Multi-verse?
• Plus: secrets uncovered in time!
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99[DOUBLEPOST=1373640287][/DOUBLEPOST]

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #19
VARIANT by J. G. JONES
LEGO VARIANT by Leonel Castellani
Necessary Evil CONCLUDES!
• The moment that changes world of Spider-Man-- and the Marvel Universe for years to come.
• Which Spider-Man is responsible for such a thing? Spider-Man 2099 or the Superior Spider-Man?
• Major developments for both Spider-Man’s cast... and for the future.
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I dunno, I mean Spock just blackmailed JJJ into giving him The Raft as a base, plus he's building all sorts of shit and hired minions. I think he's headed for a hard fall within this year.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I dunno, I mean Spock just blackmailed JJJ into giving him The Raft as a base, plus he's building all sorts of shit and hired minions. I think he's headed for a hard fall within this year.
I love it though.

ALL-NEW X-MEN SPECIAL #1
MICHAEL COSTA (W) • KRIS ANKA (A)
Cover by ALEXANDER LOZANO
Interlocking Variant Cover by J. SCOTT CAMPBELL
PART ONE OF “THE ARMS OF THE OCTOPUS!”
• The All-New X-Men cross over with the Indestructible Hulk and Superior Spider-Man!
• What does Doctor Octopus want with the All-New X-Men and HOW IS HE ALIVE?!
• This gets the immediate attention of Superior Spider-Man, but what does it have to do with the Hulk?
40 PGS./One-Shot/Rated T …$4.99

INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK SPECIAL #1
MICHAEL COSTA (W) • JAKE WYATT (A)
PART TWO OF “THE ARMS OF THE OCTOPUS!”
• Banner helps The All-New X-Men and Superior Spider-Man get to the mystery of Doc Ock!
• But before they solve anything they’re shocked by the return of the believed-dead ABOMINATION!
40 PGS./ One-Shot/Rated T …$4.99

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN TEAM-UP SPECIAL #1
MICHAEL COSTA (W) • MICHAEL DIALYNAS (A)
PART THREE OF “THE ARMS OF THE OCTOPUS!”
• Who is in league with Doc Ock and the Abomination and how can our heroes defeat them?
• Can the Superior Spider-Man (who we all know is the mind of Otto Octavius in the body of Spider-Man) hold onto his sanity while facing his doppelganger?
40 PGS./One-Shot/Rated T+ …$4.99

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Wait.

Wut.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Peter Parker and Otto Octavius swapped bodies somehow, Doc Oc's body died with Peter in it. My guess, this is the "event" to bring Peter back and start the ball rolling to get him back in his own body, and probably "rejuvenate" Doc Oc at the same time.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Wait.

Wut.
Basically Ock's behind the wheel and he's a superior spider-man.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Even knowing the whole Spock thing, it's still kinda WTF.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Wait I'm dumb. He obviously knows the Spock thing.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Also, why does the Hulk have cyborg legs?[DOUBLEPOST=1373681887][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well, Human Torch was dead for awhile. I guess he ended up being in some random alternate dimension or something, though. Flash is a pretty decent Venom, though, so I don't mind that.
I've been reading up on the new Venom series with Flash Thompson on Marvel Unlimited, and it's actually a really good book.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Also, why does the Hulk have cyborg legs?

I think that's maybe warworld armor? I haven't kept up with comics.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Hulk works for SHIELD now, I think, and it's some kind of armor so he's not running around in ripped spandex. I have the first issue, lemme re-read and I'll summarize what it is.[DOUBLEPOST=1373698081][/DOUBLEPOST]Okay, quick skim shows it's a SHIELD biosuit he modded for himself. Doesn't mention (in issue 1 anyway) if it's got other benefits outside of looking snazzy, though.[DOUBLEPOST=1373698127][/DOUBLEPOST]Also also yeah, I've kept up to date on Spock, I'm more WUT about a regular pre-sick/dead Ock body showing up.

Frank

Frank

What the fuck is Spock in Marvel?

I'm going to Google it now.

Tress

Tress

What the fuck is Spock in Marvel?

I'm going to Google it now.
Doctor Octopus in Spiderman's body.
Spiderman + Doc Ock = Spock

Frank

Frank

I just figured that out and feel silly for not earlier. Though I did learn that apparently Spock is in the Nova Corps on Earth 31 of Marvel U.

http://marvelcrossroads.wikia.com/wiki/Spock_(Earth-31)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Why are each of these comics five bucks? Fucking hell, it's the mid-90s again.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

40 pages each, almost a double sized issue (current standard is 22 page comic). Wait, buy the trade, spend $14 for the whole story on Amazon.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Hulk works for SHIELD now, I think, and it's some kind of armor so he's not running around in ripped spandex. I have the first issue, lemme re-read and I'll summarize what it is.[DOUBLEPOST=1373698081][/DOUBLEPOST]Okay, quick skim shows it's a SHIELD biosuit he modded for himself. Doesn't mention (in issue 1 anyway) if it's got other benefits outside of looking snazzy, though.[DOUBLEPOST=1373698127][/DOUBLEPOST]Also also yeah, I've kept up to date on Spock, I'm more WUT about a regular pre-sick/dead Ock body showing up.
If he changes back to Banner mid-SHIELD mission, it acts as a shell to protect his body from harm.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Why are each of these comics five bucks? Fucking hell, it's the mid-90s again.

Having been a steady, ongoing comic book buyer back then, I don't remember them ever being that much. Maybe for the double-sized annual or #100 issue or something...if it was the foil cover version or something.

Also, keep in mind that the ones above are essentially annuals, so they are in fact, double sized.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Having been a steady, ongoing comic book buyer back then, I don't remember them ever being that much. Maybe for the double-sized annual or #100 issue or something...if it was the foil cover version or something.

Also, keep in mind that the ones above are essentially annuals, so they are in fact, double sized.
Clone Saga Spider-man. I remember because I had to save up my own money to try affording all four Spider-man titles per month as a 10-year-old. Would've been better to save up for more Sega Genesis games.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm pretty sure the average book price around that time was somewhere in the 3 dollar range unless they were special issues.[DOUBLEPOST=1373747711][/DOUBLEPOST]Actually, I did some checking and comics averaged a buck fifty in the heart of the clone saga
spiderman.jpg

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm pretty sure the average book price around that time was somewhere in the 3 dollar range unless they were special issues.[DOUBLEPOST=1373747711][/DOUBLEPOST]Actually, I did some checking and comics averaged a buck fifty in the heart of the clone saga
View attachment 11362
Many of them were, with foil covers and the like. I thought that's just how comics were.

EDIT: Then my comic book shop was a fucked-up place. What the hell?

Bowielee

Bowielee

Actually, foil covers and special one shots averaged 2.95, with regular titles being a buck fiddy.

Seeing as cover prices are set by the publisher, I don't know how your local shop was charging more.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Speaking of Kaine, the new Scarlet Spider series is fucking awesome and you should all read it. Kaine wants to be hardcore but Texas won't let him.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Is he basically the same character? I always hated him back in the day. I actually loved the concept of Ben Reilly and I wish that they hadn't killed him off and kept him as the one true Spider-Man.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Is he basically the same character? I always hated him back in the day. I actually loved the concept of Ben Reilly and I wish that they hadn't killed him off and kept him as the one true Spider-Man.
Think a rougher and more sarcastic Ben.

Bowielee

Bowielee

So he's not a dour emo douchebag anymore?

BananaHands

BananaHands

So he's not a dour emo douchebag anymore?
Nope. Just kind of an asshole who feels obligated to do good.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah, check out the first issue, it really sets up the character, and I think it's the first 4-5 that will set up his friends and such in the city. Personally I think it's one of the best books out there right now.

Bowielee

Bowielee

How long has it been out? Marvel unlimited posts things about 2-3 months after paper publication.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

How long has it been out? Marvel unlimited posts things about 2-3 months after paper publication.

About a year and a half, roughly. According to Wikipedia, first issue was January 2012. And yeah, I picked up the first one cheap at my store. It was on their clearance shelf for $5. I liked it and will eventually get around to buying more. Not in a huge rush, as there's too many other things I like that take priority (new Locke & Key, Chew, Atomic Robo, etc).

BananaHands

BananaHands

Aracely is great too. I loved her interactions with the X-Men.