Export thread

And on the Seventh Day they rested

rabbitgod

The coordination and communication necessary for that is amazing. Seeing all those cranes working is pretty awesome.

And to think, my university has been building the same 7 story dorm for a year.

Matt²

Just goes to show - where there's a will, there's a way! I was actually thinking the other day "Ya know self, how long would it ACTUALLY take to carve a path through an untouched field, and make a highway for say,.. one mile? With almost unlimited resources? how many dozens of steamrollers, plowers, paveers, etc would be needed to get it done in one day?"
Now turn around and see that our (USA) system basically rewards laziness and greed in taking as many days as possible to get the most money out of it.

But just think what we could accomplish if we actually worked HARD again?

Bones

Bones

the whole building was prefabbed, and while they are to be commended, how long did it take them to prefab all the parts? unless they prefabbed as fast as they built this is nothing more than a well trained team building a giant model.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

the whole building was prefabbed, and while they are to be commended, how long did it take them to prefab all the parts? unless they prefabbed as fast as they built this is nothing more than a well trained team building a giant model.
Wow, did you really just say that was "nothing"? :facepalm:

PatrThom

PatrThom

I hear the Amish have been doing this sort of thing for a really long time.

--Patrick

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I am impressed that they got the foundation leveled, formed, poured and dried in less than six days. - wait, they did not.

Hilton Palacio del Rio in San Antonio, a 500 bed luxury hotel, was planned, built, and occupied in 202 days. It is still in use 42 years later. It also has a great Piano Bar just off the Riverwalk.

Null

Null

It's amazing the motivation that "keeping your entire family from being killed / jailed indefinitely" can provide.

Nah, I'm just messing, those workers probably weren't under duress.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I'm pretty sure they were.

As a matter of fact.... I know they were..... >:D

rabbitgod

I'm not sure why some of you are being so dismissive. Yes the foundation was set earlier, yes these are prefab parts trucked in, yes all this is is a demonstration a gigantic erector set. That's the point. This project was initiated to show how quickly and safely a building can be put together. Prefab building also has very low amounts of waste, new construction can be upwards of 25% waste. This would be phenomenal for disaster relief. You could set up dorm housing for thousands within weeks, then when their permanent homes are ready you could just pack it up.

And even with all the concessions, this is still pretty remarkable coordination (even if at gunpoint). Let me use a real life example. I was scheduled to do some cultural impact consulting on Monday. I'm not because the contractor isn't set up, but 'they'll call when they're ready.' So the developer is held up for several days (you could build half a hotel in that time!) simply because the contractor didn't make the appropriate calls. And they can't do anything before I get there so there's no makeup window. Admittedly the whole project is in the early stages and isn't really that comparable to the erection (heh) of a hotel, but there's a lot involved.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It is just misleading that they say this building was constructed in 6 days, that is an outright lie. It was basically built in a factory, and they did not say how many days it takes to do that. And the construction company had enough men on site to eat the whole job in 3 days.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

It is just misleading that they say this building was constructed in 6 days, that is an outright lie. It was basically built in a factory, and they did not say how many days it takes to do that. And the construction company had enough men on site to eat the whole job in 3 days.
:rolleyes:

PatrThom

PatrThom

Relevant.

--Patrick

Terrik

Terrik

It's amazing the motivation that "keeping your entire family from being killed / jailed indefinitely" can provide.

Har har.

I regularly eat and drink with these kind of people. Awesome way to improve my Chinese. They are some of the most interesting people you'll meet, each with their own story to tell. Most of them are from a countryside town somewhere making way more than they would back home. I've seen massive buildings go up in Shenyang in a time that boggles my mind. They know how to build their shit, and build it quick.

The only workers under duress are the one's that work for mr_thehun. I hear they work over a pit of motel lead, where one misstep sends them to a fiery death.

Also, Carbonite.

Null

Null

Har har.

I regularly eat and drink with these kind of people. Awesome way to improve my Chinese. They are some of the most interesting people you'll meet, each with their own story to tell. Most of them are from a countryside town somewhere making way more than they would back home. I've seen massive buildings go up in Shenyang in a time that boggles my mind. They know how to build their shit, and build it quick.

The only workers under duress are the one's that work for mr_thehun. I hear they work over a pit of motel lead, where one misstep sends them to a fiery death.

Also, Carbonite.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know.

Terrik

Terrik

No, you don;t :humph:

strawman

strawman

During the first two days they were adding 20 square feet of floor space per minute.

Erector set or not, it is impressive.

rabbitgod

Thank you.

People don't realize how hard it is to build a building of any kind let alone a hotel of that size.

Matt²

I am impressed that they got the foundation leveled, formed, poured and dried in less than six days. - wait, they did not..
My dad was just part of the build for Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, where they built (Halloween episode) a dorm for boys for the Oregon School for the Deaf.. One thing they did was poor cement one day and later that day, start building on it,.. something I wasn't aware you could do, but apparently for that aspect at least, there is at least one way to set cement or have a fast setting cement ready in a day.

Null

Null

No, you don;t :humph:
So, I didn't know I was joking when I said I was joking?

That's some Zen shit right there.

No, wait, it isn't, it's just stupid.

Terrik

Terrik

And you didnt know I was joking when I said that you didnt know you were joking when you said you were joking.

Now that's Zen.

GasBandit

GasBandit

What's the over/under on it falling apart?

Null

Null

Honestly, from all indications it's probably pretty sturdy. The thing about US construction is that generally contractors use as small a crew as possible, because that keeps overhead down - the student dorm Rabbitgod mentioned probably has maybe 40 or so workers on the job, instead of a couple hundred.

It really is impressive.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I'd say the chances are pretty low. It is a technology demonstrator. But it really is the same way that most sky scrapers are done. Where every thing is put together off-site and trucked to the build and thrown together. I think it is supposed to survive a 9.0 Richter Scale Quake (total BS.)

This type of build would be difficult to pull off now. Most large cities in America will not give you 24 hour access to our snarled road system.

I was impressed that they had so many workers on site and did not have any major injuries. That's pretty rare where in the past China had the casual disregard for worker safety that the US had 80 years ago.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Honestly, from all indications it's probably pretty sturdy. The thing about US construction is that generally contractors use as small a crew as possible, because that keeps overhead down - the student dorm Rabbitgod mentioned probably has maybe 40 or so workers on the job, instead of a couple hundred.

It really is impressive.[/QUOTE]

Because if there's one thing the chinese are known for, it's the sturdiness of their construction?

Granted, that last one fell OVER, not apart.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The 2 in the middle look like earthquake damage, there are a few things that can be done, but "You never know."

The first and last ones look like just plain structural failure.

GasBandit

GasBandit

All sarcasm aside, China has achieved quite an impressive level of notoriety for buildings that collapse either on their own or during earthquakes. While they have reportedly very rigid building codes, they're enforced about as often as the legal drinking age at mexican tourist resorts.

As the saying goes, you can buy off the building inspector, but you can't buy the earthquake.

Null

Null

The first and last one might be subsistence damage - sinkholes that weren't dealt with shifting the foundation. A parking garage in Allentown collapsed like that a couple years ago.

strawman

strawman

The first and last one might be subsistence damage - sinkholes that weren't dealt with shifting the foundation. A parking garage in Allentown collapsed like that a couple years ago.
That simply points out a lack of following good foundation design. A tall building must have pilings that go to bedrock, or at least a certain distance down that would eliminate risk from all but the largest of sinkholes.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I bet they have some awesome "Move-In" specials at those other 2 apartment blocks, at least until they remove the other building.

Matt²

I bet they have some awesome "Move-In" specials at those other 2 apartment blocks, at least until they remove the other building.[/QUOTE]

"Yeah, those other two identical buildings to the one that fell? No problem! .. Just sign here!" ;=)

Chibibar

Even if it is pre-fab, the coordination require for such a large group is amazing. If anything, the organization skill of the crew leader is commendable.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah. That much coordination is like herding CATs.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

--Patrick
UUUUGH.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

--Patrick
UUUUGH.[/QUOTE]

Inorite? I can't decide if that's worthy of posrep or negrep. *chuckles*

Null

Null

That simply points out a lack of following good foundation design. A tall building must have pilings that go to bedrock, or at least a certain distance down that would eliminate risk from all but the largest of sinkholes.[/QUOTE]

Good point.