Another Sign the Mayans were right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
Now all they have to do is fix the things that are broken in Windows 8 and they'll have something.

You know, like the interface, user friendliness, compatibility, efficiency...pretty much everything.

People are running away from Win8 like it's the black fucking plague because it's that bad!

Windows 8 - may be good for tablets, but come on M$, why the blue-f@$#ing h@#$ would I want a touch-screen interface on my desktop? I have a mouse and keyboard, not a touchscreen.

From what trends that I see. Desktops will continue to sell in the same number range. But tablet sales are going to keep exploding.

So PC companies can still make money, but they are going to lose market share.

I can only see tablets replacing traditional computers if they matched the same level of computing power, had a CD drive, USB ports, external sound outputs and microphone inputs, optional keyboard and mouse inputs... and so basically would just be a freaking laptop.

Well, it's no Vista.

--Patrick
I never had a problem with Vista. By what I've gathered, people's drivers didn't work (new driver model), and so therefore their computers didn't work, therefore it sucked. Beyond that... there is no difference between Vista and 7 that I've encountered in day-to-day life. I went from Vista to 7 on this computer, and honestly, no real difference. The only difference with 7 is that they had the year or two for the drivers to all catch up, and you just use the Vista drivers, and life is good. If people tried vista on the day 7 came out, it would have been a near-identical experience.

If I'm wrong on this, and there's some massive difference/change I'm unaware of, please enlighten me.

GasBandit

Staff member
There were two major factors. The lesser factor was it was just freakin' new, and really Windows 7 was Vista SP1, or as my father called it - "Vista without the suck." There were lots of small, minor tweaks that needed to be made, and yes of course driver support was a nightmare for a while.

But to me, the biggest stumbling block of vista is hardware did not keep up, or rather it jumped way ahead of the hardware curve. There were tons of computers selling at the vista release date whose specs were fine for XP that microsoft bullied the OEMs to switch to vista that absolutely had no business running it. A laptop rockin' a single core celeron and a gig of DDR is perfectly acceptable economy/low grade machine for XP... not so much for Vista/7. Yet it was tons of machines just like this which were what vista came on for a year or more. It took them a long time to figure out vista/7 needs... NEEDS.. 2 gigs at LEAST of ram to run (and preferably 4 or more). By the time 7 launched, the economy model price point machine specs had caught up with the OS's requirements, so it got the better reputation.

That and I still hate the changes to the control panel structure. F^%$'in Network and Sharing Center.

My point is, take a new-ish machine (even one that was approx the same age as windows 7) and put Vista or 7 on it fresh, and you won't notice much of a difference. Your points about hardware at the time may be bang-on, but take it as it is now, and the hate is meaningless. Hence why I don't understand ragging on it now.

GasBandit

Staff member
And post Nader, there was nothing wrong with the Edsel, either (according to my grandfather), but the damage was done.

by the time the book came out the Corvair was fixed. But Detroit of the 60's just did not give a damn about handling, braking, ride, comfort, reliability, styling, general safety... It took a long time for them to get over their culture.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, really, not adopting a new windows operating system until the first service pack should just be common sense by now (Win 7 was really just vista SP1).

But to me, the biggest stumbling block of vista is hardware did not keep up, or rather it jumped way ahead of the hardware curve. There were tons of computers selling at the vista release date whose specs were fine for XP that microsoft bullied the OEMs to switch to vista that absolutely had no business running it.
This times a million.

Took a second look at that video, this is what I took away from the 2nd viewing:

"Ooo! Lookit us! We're all sans-serif now!"
"Our colors can be pastels, too!"

--Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.