[Question] Anyone have experience with a Nikon D80 or Canon Rebel XSI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to buy one of these cameras this weekend and was curious if any of the folks here had experience with either one of them. My budget for the camera is around $400.

I'll mainly be using the camera to take pictures of my musical gear/setups for recording, my incoming kid, my friends' band. I'm looking for "real world" opinions of how it performs indoors. Of course, I'll be using it for outdoors stuff, but it won't happen nearly as much as the indoors stuff will, at least, not at first.

I intend to buy a 50mm/1.8, or Nifty Fifty, lens and an additional flash.

Any thoughts? Are there better cameras within my budget?

Nope! But I've been really happy with the XTi (400d) which is the model just prior to the XSi. Get a prime lens on that sucker and you should have reasonably good low light performance. Get a good flash and you will have enough to do what it sounds like you want.

Beyond that the only way to get better performance in low light is to get a camera with a larger sensor. $$$$

I have an old Canon 20D I use with a 50/1.8; no complaints, although if you're a pixel peeper it doesn't get really sharp until f8 or so. Then again, given the very shallow depth of field at 1.8, it's probably for the best (which I keep forgetting just how narrow it is, ugh).

That said, I might suggest trying out something like the Panasonic Lumix LX-5 or the Canon S95; I mean a DSLR is great, but sometimes it's just a pain in the ass to haul around. However, if you like to shoot towards the long end of the focal length, those two are non-starters.

I have a little point and shoot that I can use as a standby, but after taking pictures of one of my guitars with it, and getting decent results on a few of the pictures, I want to move forward and get more into photography.

I look at pictures like the following two and wonder how much better it could have been with a much better camera instead of my little Panasonic Lumix whatever it is.

and

Eh, I wouldn't get too hung up on gear. After all, a better guitar doesn't necessarily make a better song (to which I can attest :() . This is not meant as discouragement against getting a new camera, just something to keep in mind.

Also, I managed to scrounge up some random indoor pics I took with the 50mm to give an idea of what you might expect.

A music museum, don't remember the name.
f1.8, ISO200, 1/60th sec.

In my bedroom, light source was a single floor lamp maybe 6 ft. away.
f4.5, ISO100, 30 sec.

Alternatively if you want to see some good pictures, you can search flickr tagged with Canon 50mm or Nikon 50mm.

The Fender Champ that I have was just a random purchase because I wanted a vintage amp made in the year I was born. It ended up being made in '79 instead of '78, so I've cooled on it a lot. The Champ is perfect for recording, but is, ultimately, expendable. I currently have an Egnater Tweaker head with two 1x12, so I can get enough variety to cover it.

I have plenty of nice gear for a bedroom player, but I'm looking to have another hobby. Photography actually goes well with the music thing, IMHO.

Since you write music, do you have any music online? I have some incompletely, rough tracks I recorded in June that I haven't had the chance or inspiration to finish recording. I have a lot of acoustic tracks to do, mixing, and then mastering...so I've been feeling a little overwhelmed.

You'll probably be equally happy with either camera. I suggest checking out the dpreview reviews for each one.

The only thing that you need to realize beyond that is that whatever you buy now is probably what you'll buy in the future, due to the lens collection you'll start growing.

Wait, what's with all the amp talk now? Is this because I said don't get too hung up on gear? When I wrote that I meant photo gear.

As an aside, while I like my F-30, looking back I kind of wish I had went with the Hot Rod Deville I was also considering at the time. I should take my own advice...

No, no music online. That's probably for the best. Songwriting is not a point in my favor, and my playing skills have declined horribly; a while back I tried recording something and was absolutely mortified at the sounds playing back to me. And the less said about my voice, the better. :p

Ah, you made mention of a better guitar making for better songwriting and my mind just went there.

You're better off with the F-30. I've owned two Hot Rod Devilles and a Hot Rod Deluxe. They are prone to component breakdowns and have a shitty drive channel. An average Mesa is twice the amp the best HRD or HRDx is. In addition, Mesas hold their value, whereas the Hot Rods don't and are a dime-a-dozen last time I frequented the Craigslist here in Dallas.

You'll probably be equally happy with either camera. I suggest checking out the dpreview reviews for each one.

The only thing that you need to realize beyond that is that whatever you buy now is probably what you'll buy in the future, due to the lens collection you'll start growing.
I have read the DP review for each one. Most of it was over my head, but I definitely paid attention to the conclusion. But I was hoping for real people who have used it or something similar. Reviews are great, but I like real world experience as well.

One thing I think is funny is when I read that either D80 or XSi took these amazing photos a couple of years ago and now people are ragging on them because of the newer cameras out there, that cost 2-3 times more. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be perfectly fine with either one I choose.

I actually have a sweet deal on an XSi that has a catch. It's the camera, lens, battery grip, and two OEM batteries...with no charger. The seller is looking for the charger but says it may have been lost in the move. My wife won't let me buy it without being able to test it first. Completely understandable.

I have a D80 lined up that comes with the kit lens and a backup lens with the same stats, minus the Vibration Reduction. My wife's ex sister-in-law is a photographer who says to go with the D80.

Ugh.

hehehe.

Stabilization is very useful in low light modes. I don't have it on mine, but for Canon it's in the lens, so I simply need to get a lens that supports it if I want it.

But honestly? It doesn't matter. The fact that you're going back and forth just shows that it's so close you might as well flip a coin.

Just be aware that whichever one you get, you'll eventually think of that brand as somehow preferable to the other brand. Doesn't matter which one it is - you'll be so happy with it that your brain will automatically turn you into a fanboy. Very mild effect for most people, but it's there.

Which is to say if you choose the Nikon you and I can never be buddies.

:rofl:

The only person in the area with the Canon in my budget range is missing the charger and I don't want to drop $350 on a camera that I can't test out beforehand.

:(

Ha! I was trying to be funny about your friend comment but I fail at the Halforums brand of humor.

The Nikon isn't a bad camera, not by any means. But, for the same coin, I can have the XSI, which is definitely more camera.

Well, not that I'd be one to push retail abuse, but you can find a charger and battery at many places (best buy, camera stores, etc) and return it if you find out the camera doesn't work. Get the battery and charger, charge it up, then take a trip to the person's house.

true. I'll have to check Bestbuy and see if they carry both and what their return policy is on those.

Personally most pro's that I know use Nikon. The only Pro's that I know that use Canon are sports photographers. Nikon is more versatile, and Canon is better for huge zoom lenses to capture touchdown catches.

I ended up picking up a Canon Rebel 450d/XSi, along with the Canon battery grip, two 4GB SD HC cards, a wired and wireless remote, two batteries, and box/accessories for $425. I also picked up an older, though as far as I can tell compatible, Canon 50mm 1.8 lens for $50 from another Craigslist seller. All I need to do is find a good flash and I should be set. Of course, I'd like to have more zoom, but more lenses are further down the road.

Haha. I don't see myself having anything like that any time soon, or ever, for that matter.

The difference between the canon and my P&S is massive. I ended up joining POTN, so I'm hoping to learn a lot from that forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.