Apple says that the Midwest is too humid for iMacs

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Consumerist.

Ultimately I’m told that Apple will replace the display one last time as a courtesy, but that I’m to blame for the failure. When pushed for clarification, I’m told that Apple is aware of the issue and that they believe it to be caused by humidity in the air. They claim it’s too humid in Ohio for the iMac’s display, and they’re not responsible for it. Since they weren’t aware I’d relocated, I explain that I’d recently moved to Chicago and that the issue had since recurred there. After some deliberation I’m told Illinois is also too humid for iMacs. Here’s the kicker: I live less than 1000 ft from Apple’s flagship store in Chicago. So Apple is literally claiming that it’s too humid for iMacs not even one full block away from the location they sell them to customers all year long.
We need a [Facepalm] prefix...

Apple. Happy Face Fascism. Think Different.
When Apple does it, it's "different". When Google does it, it's "New and refreshing". When Microsoft does it, it's filthy greed and capitalism, destroying our beautiful world. Oh, image, how important you are.

Necronic

Staff member
Or if you like good customer service. I mean, come on, no one is fooled by all those high ratings they get. IT'S ALL LIES AND ! BUTTON MICE!!!11
After getting into a shouting match with a manager at an Apple store I really have nothing good to say about their customer service.

Well duh. The Apple 1 was originally sold for $666.66. They founded the company using the tears of orphans, and only moved on to more devilish trickery later.

When Apple does it, it's "different". When Google does it, it's "New and refreshing". When Microsoft does it, it's filthy greed and capitalism, destroying our beautiful world. Oh, image, how important you are.
Apple and Google and the forsight to not brand themselves with a name that could snarkily include a $ symbol. Because typing it Micro$oft is so edgy and rebellious and sticking it to the man.

I've heard the stories in the media and online of the company putting the blame on the consumer and refusing to admit any sort of responsibility even though there are plenty of forum posts, articles, and criticism out there from reputable consumer watchdog groups, but thankfully none of it applies to me since I've never owned a Toyota.

--Patrick

I've heard the stories in the media and online of the company putting the blame on the consumer and refusing to admit any sort of responsibility even though there are plenty of forum posts, articles, and criticism out there from reputable consumer watchdog groups, but thankfully none of it applies to me since I've never owned a Toyota.

--Patrick
I like my toyota, never had a problem with it (except when the aftermarket security system fucks up, but that's not toyotas problem.)

The funny thing is, Apple may be completely right about the humidity factor, but since that's unlikely to kill anyone, they're not going to bother doing anything about a slightly higher return rate.

The funny thing is, Apple may be completely right about the humidity factor, but since that's unlikely to kill anyone, they're not going to bother doing anything about a slightly higher return rate.
Except that apparently they're not going to repair the units after a certain point in time or a certain number of repairs.

Except that apparently they're not going to repair the units after a certain point in time or a certain number of repairs.
Wait, they are going to repair it, then? Them how is that different from regular AppleCare? There's a finite number of repair/replacements in the fine print for all their products, regardless of locality.

I thought the story was that Apple isn't going to repair them?

Wait, they are going to repair it, then? Them how is that different from regular AppleCare? There's a finite number of repair/replacements in the fine print for all their products, regardless of locality.

I thought the story was that Apple isn't going to repair them?
Sorry, I was under the impression that they would repair them once - maybe that's just the first case for the guy in the article.

Necronic

Staff member
What's completely inexcusable to me isn't the failure of the equipment (which seems to be caused by poor design/shielding), and not even by the ridiculous claims of humididty in the midwest being the cause of the problem (patently absurd, no one designs electronics with specs like that, remember they have to survive in cargo containers crossing the ocean).

No, whats absurd is that this 2-3 year old problem STILL PERSISTS and apple has done NOTHING about it and said NOTHING about it. Because admitting a major design flaw is not their philosophy:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2300580?start=930&tstart=0

Seriously, 65 page thread that has been ongoing for 3 years about this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.