Export thread

Ask me anything - Beer, waffles, fries and chocolate edition

Bubble181

Bubble181

Just to name the four best things to come out of Belgium except for me :-P

Andi

Drachenherz

What fortune did your last cookie predict?

Bubble181

Bubble181

"You will always be surrounded by true friends." if you count Facebook cookies. Real cookies, I have no idea, they're very rare in Belgium, I think I've eaten two or three in my life.

Adam

Adammon

Is Jean Claude van Damme really a national icon there?

Andi

Drachenherz

"You will always be surrounded by true friends." if you count Facebook cookies. Real cookies, I have no idea, they're very rare in Belgium, I think I've eaten two or three in my life.
I hope you didn't eat the included messages too. :retard:

What is it that keeps you getting back to halforums all the time?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Is Jean Claude van Damme really a national icon there?
No, not really. He's probably about as well known as Steven Seagall or Arnold Schwarzenegger, maybe slightly less. He's a known *cough* actor, but nothing more.

I hope you didn't eat the included messages too. :retard:

What is it that keeps you getting back to halforums all the time?
Good question. I guess it's because there are quite a few people here I liek reading about, either because they have awesome things going on or because they're interesting/fun/nice people, and the fact that here, I can pretty much say or do whatever I want without people looking :confused:, :bush: or :uhhuh: at me.
Also, I just fare better in written form. I'm not exactly a clear speaker (in other words, I mumble like hell), which makes me often too self-conscious to speak in groups or to make effective observations. So I tend to be prefer forums over speech, and this forum has one of the best interestin-fun/asshole-annoyance balances I've encountered. Plus a very high amount of zaniness, which I need.
Also, loneliness and boredom. If I didnt' come here, I'd be in a much deeper depression than I am now, if I hadn't yet lost it completely.

Jake

Jake

Besides the Trappist ales, what are your favorite domestics?

I'm partial to Gulden Draak and Piraat.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Besides the Trappist ales, what are your favorite domestics?

I'm partial to Gulden Draak and Piraat.
Both of those are good...I have to say, I really like the beers of the Struise Brouwers. They were recently named best brewery in the world, which I thought would mean they'd be snobbish idiots who made overly complicated beers, but it doesn't. Haven't tasted a single beer of theirs I'm not fond of. Mikkeler or Pannepot are worth a taste, definitely.
Aside from those...I'm quite a fan of the lambic beers. Geuze or kriek; both taste completely different when drank at the brewery than when bottled, though. Or faro...That's just plain only good, but than, really good, when drank straight from the keg.

Andi

Drachenherz

What would you change if you had the power to do it?

Cajungal

Cajungal

Favorite female celebrity?

Favorite male celebrity?

What was your best day ever?

What's your dream job?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Best reason not to have my vengeance against Brussels?

callistarya

Have you ever had REAL cajun food?

How do you feel about brussel sprouts?

Did you miss me? Shhh you're being too obvious when you talk to Tin...he may figure us out... :paranoid:

Bubble181

Bubble181

What would you change if you had the power to do it?
Wel, that's pretty broad, isn't it? "myself"? "The way the world works"? :-P I guess if I'm thinking smallish, my lack of selfconfidence, if I think bigger, the way male/female relationships are viewed in our society.

Favorite female celebrity?

Favorite male celebrity?

What was your best day ever?

What's your dream job?
Don't really care about celebrities...If I had to choose, ehh, possibly Marie Curie and Sean Connery.

Best day ever...I dunno. I've had some pretty awesome days lately, being often overshadowed by their ending; before the past few months, I guess the day I first had sex was pretty great, as was the day I became vice president of my fraternity.
Dream job...I dunno. Something I enjoy doing, with flexible hours, and good but not great pay, with fun colleagues and a lot of diversity. Where I can carry responsibility, but can ask for help from someone if it gets a bit much, and people respect me.

Best reason not to have my vengeance against Brussels?
I live here! Give me a couple of days warning, though, and feel free to. Well, the art collection in our musea is pretty kick-ass too, so possibly that.
Have you ever had REAL cajun food?

How do you feel about brussel sprouts?

Did you miss me? Shhh you're being too obvious when you talk to Tin...he may figure us out... :paranoid:
Not that I'm aware of, I like them but not in a must-have sort of way, and yes, because funny and intelligent people with good taste are rare enough as it is without them disappearing suddenly. And if you're up for FFm, he should be open to MMF too, shouldn't he? It's only fair :unibrow:

callistarya

hmmm...welllll I do like to have my cake and eat it too.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Feel free to eat whatever you want :whistling:

callistarya

What's your favorite Sean Connery movie?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Depends. Strictly for the movie, for his role in it, or....
Anyway, The Longest Day is a favourite of mine, definitely, or Indiana Jones 3 (and he'll be back for Indy 5...Oh dear, I'm sort of on the fence between horrified and hopeful). The Hunt for the Red October's pretty awesome.
Going down the line, there're Dragonheart or the Rock, which weren't particularly great movies, but I liked him in it. Then there's the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which, I'm supposed to say sucked, but is a guilty pleasure of mine :-P

It's odd, but I haven't seen a single of his James Bond movies :confused:

callistarya

Depends. Strictly for the movie, for his role in it, or....
Anyway, The Longest Day is a favourite of mine, definitely, or Indiana Jones 3 (and he'll be back for Indy 5...Oh dear, I'm sort of on the fence between horrified and hopeful). The Hunt for the Red October's pretty awesome.
Going down the line, there're Dragonheart or the Rock, which weren't particularly great movies, but I liked him in it. Then there's the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which, I'm supposed to say sucked, but is a guilty pleasure of mine :-P

It's odd, but I haven't seen a single of his James Bond movies :confused:
I was forced into the James Bond movies as a kid. Never have liked them. The only one i really remember is the one named Octopussy for obvious reasons. :)

First Knight is one of my favs as well as League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I've seen the Rock a few times too. He's an awesome actor and one of the hottest, older actors around.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Once more, proof that you have taste :)

callistarya

:clap:

Cajungal

Cajungal

5 favorite songs?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Hercule Poirot. Opinion?

Bubble181

Bubble181

5 favorite songs?
Hmmm...I'm gonna have to put these in no particular order.

a) Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (Bach)
b) Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
c) Riders on the Storm - The Doors
d) Breek de Stilte - Stef Bos
e) Memory - Andrew Lloyd Webber

Hercule Poirot. Opinion?
He's awesome, and I wih I could get away with that moustache and hat.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Who do you resemble more, your father or your mother? And how?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Hmmm....Physically, my father, definitely. Same build, same hairline (thanks, dad), same shape of face, same everything. Slightly less gut for the moment :-P
Personality-wise...I have a lot of both, but probably my father. I'm mostly reserved, but I'm oversensitive to some silly things (DONT COMMENT ON MY DRIVING SKILLS.) and can fly off the handle sometimes. I can't hold a grudge - after 5 minutes, I've forgotten why I was angry. At a social gathering where I don't know anyone, I'll have 5 people to chat with, name and everything, within five minutes...
I don't have his DIY-skills though, or his strength. Nor do I have his dexterity and resourcefulness. I've inherited my mother's clumsiness and awkwardness, and the way I deal with conflicts (by ignoring them and waving my own opinion away, giving in to keep the peace). I have her way of being stingy withm oney, too; though you could consider it cleverness, I guess. My OCD is definitely from her side, too.
I have my father's inability to cook, my mother's technical understanding, my father's fashion sense, my mother's incapability of staying in touch with close friends; my father's cynicism but my mother's thin skin,....Do I need to go on?

All in all, though, my father.

Kitty Sinatra

why have you never made me waffles with chocolate sauce after getting me drunk with beer so you can seduce me into furry hijinx?

Bubble181

Bubble181

why have you never made me waffles with chocolate sauce after getting me drunk with beer so you can seduce me into furry hijinx?
Because I like to keep the chocolate saucce to pour it all over you and me and lick it off one another. :unibrow:

Bubble181

Bubble181

I balance out my awesome personality by physical and emotional negative traits. Totally minmaxed myself for on line play. Yarr.

Andromache

Who are your top ten favorite forum users?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

What is your greatest insecurity?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Who are your top ten favorite forum users?
Hmmm...In no particular order (well, mostly alphabetically :-P):

Allen, who is Quiet
Andi
Cajungal
ZenMonkey
Cuyval Dar
Gruebeard
Cynicism Kills
North_Ranger
hylian
Wahad
Shawnacy
Vytamindi

What is your greatest insecurity?
Oh dear. Seriously? One of the greatest manbawwers on this forum, and you ask about my insecurities?
Hmm, probably that I won't amount to anything special. I mean, considering how my life is going now, I'm just horribly afraid that, by the end of it, I won't have meant anything terribly special to anyone or anything. I don't mean I need to become a billionaire or invent transwarp travel; right now, I don't even think my friends or family couldn't replace me. I mean, yeah, sure, if I died now, quite a few people'd probably be hurt for a while and feel bad. But, say, after 5 years, none of the m(save my parents and brother, I guess) would remember me. I'd have left no lasting impression on anyone at all. That's...just...I dunno. I want to have meant something, to someone.

Kitty Sinatra

Allen, who is Quiet
Andi
Cajungal
ZenMonkey
Cuyval Dar
Cynicism Kills
North_Ranger
hylian
Wahad
Shawnacy
Vytamindi
:eek:rly:

:tear:

:waah:

And then I realize that you listed eleven.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Dude, I list twelve, and you edit yourself out? You have issues :-P

(OK, I forgot you. I'm sorry! It's totally because I just went through my friend's list and you'ren ot a board friend of mine, though. Or i missed you. I didn't mean to >_< Honest! I'd say you rank at least higher than 4 of those other eleven, possibly 7 or 8. Instant loss against those with boobies, but otherwise....

Kitty Sinatra

Dude, I list twelve, and you edit yourself out? You have issues :-P
That sounds exactly like something I would do.

And I was indeed planning to do so, although my plan was to switch my name with someone else's. It probably would've been Invader or I'd have made up a name like Furry Macintosh III.

Andromache

So why isn't Dave on this list?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Because I had to limit myself somehow. I greatly enjoy his posts, but I've rarely had a direct conversation with him.

Andi

Drachenherz

Why am I on this list?

You'll receive a "cease and desist order" from my lawyer soon...

j/k actually I am a little touched. So, I finally made it on somebodies list, that means I am not a nobody, somebody took notice of me! *glee*

But why you? j/k again *ggg*

HowDroll

HowDroll

French Fries with mayonnaise, yes/no?

Bubble181

Bubble181

First off, what type of mayonnaise? Belgian, Dutch, and French mayo are three very different sauces.

Secondly, french fries, always yes, but I personally prefer ketchup. It's one of my failings as a Belgian :-P

HowDroll

HowDroll

First off, what type of mayonnaise? Belgian, Dutch, and French mayo are three very different sauces.

Secondly, french fries, always yes, but I personally prefer ketchup. It's one of my failings as a Belgian :-P[/QUOTE]

I've only had French and Dutch mayo. What's Belgian mayo like?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Closer to French than Dutch mayo. Dutch mayo is this sickeningly sweet thing, French mayo tends to be with just eggs. Belgian mayo is like French mayonnaise, but with some lemon added.

Cajungal

Cajungal

It's one of my failings as a Belgian :-P
How else does one fail as a Belgian?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Well, I suppose you could not like chocolate, like a certain girl I know. Or be allergic to beer, like another girl I know.
Oh, and there's the whole believing Belgium should be abolished bit :-P

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Leopold II. Any comments?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Hmmmyeah. Sensitive/dangerous subject, I guess. And me answering that when I'm on my way to the drunk/wasted thread. Ah well.

He's been much villified by some foreigners, and most assuredly, he's done some pretty bad things. He's - quite personally - responsible for a lot of crimes against the indigenous people of Congo. Heck, 5 million disappeared or were forced into labour and so forth during his reign.
On the other hand - he wasn't the sole big evil he's sometimes made out to be. Comparatively, the Congolese had it better than those of some of the surrounding nations, being exploited by England or France. He was just somewhat more vocal about it, and in his case, it was the King doing the extorting and abusing, rather than some shady people given leeway.

That aside - and ys, it's a huge aside - he's one of the kings who's done most to remodel Belgioum in his image; sanctioning or ordering several huge constructions which still are really apparent in Brussels, Antwerp and other cities in Belgium. he's done a lot of things to drag Belgium from the 19th century forward. And, he didn't leave his estate (being most of Congo) to his heirs, instead donating it to the Belgian state.

All in all, he's done a lot of things frowned upon today - and some things fronwned upon even in his day - but he wasn't the storybook villain you can sometimes see him made out to be, and he's doen a lot of good, too. A difficult person to classify if you want to think in blacks and whites.

Math242

Math242

Leopold II was one of our best kings.

Don't ask about Leopold III tho.

Dear bubble, what do you think about Vlaams Belang?

Cajungal

Cajungal

If you had to choose an unorthodox greeting to give people (something not at all like "hello" or "what's up" or "greetings"), what would it be?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Hey! I made a reply here! I swear! I wasn't *that* inebriated...Was I?
Anyway:

a) VB are a bunch of idiots who go about reaching their goals in all the wrong ways. Also, 1/4 of them are actual racists, 1/4 are ignorant, 1/4 are misguided, and 1/4 are powerhungry. Some of those overlap :-P NV-A or LSP are smarter about being Flemish, and LDD is smarter about being populistic.

b) I already usually greet women by pickign them up and twirling them around, and men with bear hugs, so I guess that qualifies. Other than that, I'm mostly known for greeting people with things as "What would you ask of me?", "At your service!", "I beg the right to serve you, milady", "What ho, fair maiden", "Fair damsel, what can I do to ease your distress"and other assorted game-based or semi-medieval greetings. Yarr.

Cajungal

Cajungal

O.O That's the best ever.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Well, I try to emulate what I like. I ought to go out and by a uke some time...;-)

Biardo

FC Brugge, Anderlecht or Standard (or some other crazy thing)

did you watch the red devils Saturday and if so will you watch them again Wednesday?

What is your favorite town in Belgium?

Was it you who stole my wallet?

Did you the like de helaasheid der dingen?

Bubble181

Bubble181

FC Brugge, Anderlecht or Standard (or some other crazy thing)

did you watch the red devils Saturday and if so will you watch them again Wednesday?

What is your favorite town in Belgium?

Was it you who stole my wallet?

Did you the like de helaasheid der dingen?
KV Mechelen, yo.

I didn't, and I won't, since I'll be at work. I do work right next to the Heyzel, so I can actually hear and see parts of the match.

Hmmm...Brussels.

Nope.

Haven't seen it yet :-(

Bubble181

Bubble181

Would you be willing to move permanently to the Netherlands for your (then) significant other?
Gladly. I love the Netherlands. Some downsides, some upsides to Belgium vs the Netherlands, but I really do love going there and I have a few friends in Utrecht and such, so, sure!

Additional question due to dare:
Gusto said:
I dare you to ask Bubble for his phone number. :)
Can I get your phone number, please?
PM will suffice.
Pfeh, I don't mind people knowing my number, as long as the google bots don't pick it up :-P +32 485 nul vijfhonderd 94 is my cell phone =)

Kitty Sinatra

Pfeh, I don't mind people knowing my number, as long as the google bots don't pick it up :-P +32 485 nul vijfhonderd 94 is my cell phone =)
Thanks. I will use that some day.[/QUOTE]
So might I, but I still don't know what his number is!

Bubble181

Bubble181

Hmmm...Cuisine, for one thing. I know it's a cliché, but generally speaking, I vastly prefer the Belgian food over Dutch food. Both for top cooking, as for fastfood. And because I'm not going to take the easy route, I'll include chocolate, and the very obvious, beer, here.
Secondly, our educational system. It has its drawbacks, certainly, but I've known friends in both, and I tend to prefer the way it's handled in Belgium - universities are given funds according to starting students in stead of for graduating students, for example, and tuition fees are much lower. Again, so as not to cheap out, I'll throw in the bigger multiculturalism and multilingualism. Practically all Flemish know at least French and English; many know either German or another language as well.
Thirdly...hmm. Though I do prefer the Dutch way of approaching things, which is more bussinesslike and oftentimes seems cooler and more efficient, sometimes I do really appreciate the Belgian - and this mostly in Wallonia, really - joviality and openness to strangers. It's different from the way the Dutch are open; and there's a certain...Bon-vivant thing going on, often. It can irk me greatly occasionally, and it is once again quite clichéd, but still.

And gruebeard: "nul vijfhonderd" means "zero fivehundred". The rest's just my number :-P

Kitty Sinatra

Great. Now you're gonna think I'm gonna call you some time. Satisfied?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Real frites aren't too big or too small, but just right. Those really thick ones are British chips ;-)

Biardo

Bobbejaanland Rules !?!

sorry just had to say it, carry on

actually no, Bubs what do you think of Van Rompuy as president of Europe?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Bobbejaanland is pretty awesome, though I prefer Fantasialand or the Efteling. Yes, 'I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.

Van Rompuy...He was quite capable as a senator and a member of parliament, but he's a useless prime minister, and he wouldn't have the strength nor the charisma to really achieve anything as a European President. It'll just mean the strong countries like the UK and Germany continue following their own agendas. And I'm all in favour of a strong Europe. I'd love to see Merkel or someone like that become president, but it won't happen.

Ame...Hmmm. I'll have to think about that. Lots of possible good answers. Including all their talents, their knowledge, their way of acting, etc etc? Jeesh. Someone with some great talent to create, for sure. Possibly either some great songwriter or composer (though I couldn't do much in a day, I guess), or painter or poet. A poet or composer, perhaps, so I can try to put down my thoughts down on paper using their talents. I dunno.

Kitty Sinatra

Will you let Vyx dare you once you answer five of her questions?

Will you let me dare you once you answer five of mine?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yes, and yes; I have to say that I don't have a camera or similar here, though, so many types of dares will be hard to carry out. Also, due to work, parties, a funeral, moving stuff, and something that appears to be turning into a relationship, I may not be on line much the coming days.

Kitty Sinatra

Cool, also: I've got a dare in hand for Vyx. What do you suggest I dare her to do?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Hmmm...No clue. I've refrained from asking her 5 questions specifically because I couldn't think of a good dare. I'll get back to you rtomorrow.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Hmmm... I dunno. I do like having some peace and quiet occasionally, but I also enjoy looking forward to lots of stuff to do. Once I have my work schedule for the month (unfortunately usually only the 23 or 24th of the month), I look at all the empty bits and start filling them up. I still can't manage to stay in touch with all the people I'd want to stay in touch with, or see many of my friends as often as I'd like. not to mention housholding, which is eternally a week late :-P
So...While I do enjoy the occasional calm (just going away for a weekend somewhere, walking around a bit, reading a good book, sleeping long,...), I do like having things to look forward to. I don't have any set hobbies (because of the varying work schedule), so if I don't have things planned, I'm just home alone...And being alone for a day can be fun, but being alone for 3 or 4 days in a row, just surfing this palce and Facebook, maybe watching a movie, I start to get lonely and passive, so I try to avoid that.

Bubble181

Bubble181

A hard question, really. I'm pretty easy-going and let pretty much anything slide, word-wise. I think almost any word can be used, in the proper context. Plenty of things can get me going (ik ben makkelijk om op m'n paard te zetten :-P), but not with any one word or expression.

Perhaps one: "van de week". It's an "expression" that simply doesn't exist. I know language evolves and all that,but it bugs the shit out of me. "Van de week zijn er rellen geweest...", "Ik kom van de maand nog langs", "Van't jaar is't een mooie zomer he"....AUGH.

Biardo

I know, hijacking your tread but if you ask me the most annoying sentence in Dutch is "ik heb zoiets van"

Bubble181

Bubble181

A hard question, really. I'm pretty easy-going and let pretty much anything slide, word-wise. I think almost any word can be used, in the proper context. Plenty of things can get me going (ik ben makkelijk om op m'n paard te zetten :-P), but not with any one word or expression.

Perhaps one: "van de week". It's an "expression" that simply doesn't exist. I know language evolves and all that,but it bugs the shit out of me. "Van de week zijn er rellen geweest...", "Ik kom van de maand nog langs", "Van't jaar is't een mooie zomer he"....AUGH.
hehe.

Ik bel nog wel van de week.[/QUOTE]

:slap:
If a girl picks up the phone, it's my girlfriend. Feel free to ask about threesomes :unibrow:

Math242

Math242

AH well Ame, seems bubble found a dare for you !

Bubble181

Bubble181

Hmm, yeah, that could work. How expensive is it to call from the Netherlands to a Belgian cell phone? :-P

Bubble181

Bubble181

Better? :p

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yo. I'm changing back to my sideways owl retard once I get back on my other PC or can be arsed to re-crop the image to use as an avatar :)

Bubble181

Bubble181

't Was a capture of just the head ;-) But I like it like that, too....Hmm...a