[Thread Game] Astronomy Quiz

So I was on a site for other space news, and took their Astronomy/Space quiz: Astronomy Quiz

I got 23/25, and I'm mad about one of the wrong answers, and I'll admit I guessed (well, semi-educated) on 2-3 of them. I'm proud that none were like "wtf???" for them.

How does everybody else do?

21/25.
Didn't know which SS went up first - Id say that's more science history than astronomy, though. I forgot about Canis Minor and went with Andromeda, so my distance was wrong. The moon phases was just not thinking, and I actually learned a bit more about comets - I thought their tail was longest coming towards the sun.

23/25 (should have been 24, but I made a silly mistake)

There is one question that I thought shouldn't be included -- the one about the Blue Moon. It's more folklore than astronomy.

Also, the "sports object" question was a fun challenge to work out.

Dave

Staff member
I did fairly dismally because I was trying to play the quiz not answer questions. On like 5 of them I knew the right answer but picked something else because I thought mine was too obvious and there had to be a trick.

I've been in academia too damned long.

24/25 I didn't realize some Russian broad went to space before Sally Ride.
I have another question for you then:

Who was the first American to go into space?
A) John Glenn
B) Alan Shepard
C) Jim Lovell
D) Michael Collins

Very bonus question, even for most up here: Who was the first Canadian to go into space?
A) Roberta Bondar
B) Pierre Poutine
C) Chris Hadfield
D) Marc Garneau

And super-bonus-geek factor question: Which of the following is NOT a term relating to a Black Hole?
A) Where God divided by Zero
B) Quantum Singularity
C) Chandrasekhar limit
D) Photon Sphere

Have fun. ;)

Edit:
Alan Shepard
John Glenn was the first to ORBIT the earth, but not the first one in space from the USA
Jim Lovell was on Apollo 8 and 13
Michael Collins orbited the Moon in the Command Module for Apollo 11

Marc Garneau - Also our Minister of Transportation right now! Been a politician a while
Chris Hadfield - has spent more time in space than any other Canadian, but not the first.
Roberta Bondar - First Canadian Woman in space.
Pierre Poutine - A link is best here. Not a real person is the short answer.

C) Chandrasekhar limit - Relates to White Dwarfs and Neutron stars, but not Black Holes directly.
A) Where God divided by Zero - Said by comedian Stephen Wright in 1987 about Black Holes
B) Quantum Singularity - Einstein's name for black holes when he predicted them, but they hadn't been discovered yet. May not even be true according to wikipedia.
D) Photon Sphere - Pulled right from the wiki article.

Last edited:
The last one was the easiest.

--Patrick
Except for the eighth one. If you have a multiple choice question & one of the answers is "All of the above" that is always always the correct answer.

Also slightly disappointed with my results. A mere 17/25. Clearly this means I must go read more about space.

I got a very disappointing 12/25. And I have to admit that I only got the order of planets question right because of a Saved By The Bell episode where Zack had to learn Screech's answers for the science competition. Clearly, it has been far, far too long since I've studied anything space related.