At least they're getting the art direction right...

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cvgurau

ScifiWire posted a new image of "Sokka" from Shyamalan's sure-to-be-a-disaster (but really hoping it won't be) "adaptation" of Avatar: the Last Airbender:

It actually looks like him (to a degree; they were never gonna find the perfect match) and the photo with Kitara makes me eager to see what waterbending will look like. Awesome, probably.

Not bad, not bad at all. I'm missing his [strike:bs6vh2o8]pony[/strike:bs6vh2o8]warrior's wolf-tail, but apart from that it looks pretty decent.

Wahad said:
Not bad, not bad at all. I'm missing his [strike:1xwbw1mz]pony[/strike:1xwbw1mz]warrior's wolf-tail, but apart from that it looks pretty decent.
Does he not have it? I can't really tell from these pictures for sure but it looks like he's gathering his hair back into something.

It certainly looks less craptacular than I thought it would. Still, you'd think they'd have dyed his hair black or something.

Man waterbending is fucking awesome. Is Toph gonna be in this movie? Earthbending is also awesome.

Wahad said:
Not yet, Gustoman. One movie for every season equals Toph not in this first movie.
Well in that case I hope we get [spoiler:2tr3uc4z]the awesome Katara/Pakku fight[/spoiler:2tr3uc4z]. Easily amongst my favourites.

Regardless of racism and Shamalama, I'm probably gonna enjoy the shit outta this movie.

Gusto said:
Wahad said:
Not yet, Gustoman. One movie for every season equals Toph not in this first movie.
Well in that case I hope we get [spoiler:196s1bwe]the awesome Katara/Pakku fight[/spoiler:196s1bwe]. Easily amongst my favourites.

Regardless of racism and Shamalama, I'm probably gonna enjoy the shit outta this movie.
I'm just hoping we're getting to see Koh. He was such a magnificent bastard and I'm disappointed we didn't get to see more of him in the series than we did.

Wahad said:
Gusto said:
Wahad said:
Well in that case I hope we get [spoiler:26rpejri]the awesome Katara/Pakku fight[/spoiler:26rpejri]. Easily amongst my favourites.

I'm just hoping we're getting to see Koh. He was such a magnificent bastard and I'm disappointed we didn't get to see more of him in the series than we did.
Oh yeeeeah. He sure was.

Man there are so many minor character I hope get into this movie it is ABSURD.

C

Chibibar

well.. I figure they (the movie) is not going to give Sokka actual wolf tail cause well.. It would look rather silly IRL.

C

cvgurau

Ran through the entire series last week (for the second time... seriously, you guys: Sozin's Comet? :bush: :aaahhh: :bush: :eek: :bush: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ), but I'm drawing a blank on "Koh".

Misspelled, or did I have a stroke?

fade

Staff member
I'll be okay if they leave the stupid raccoon/lemur/mouse thing out of it. Momo was it? That thing was annoying.

cvgurau said:
Ran through the entire series last week (for the second time... seriously, you guys: Sozin's Comet? :bush: :aaahhh: :bush: :eek: :bush: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ), but I'm drawing a blank on "Koh".

Misspelled, or did I have a stroke?
Koh, aka [spoiler:1zi4iawm]the Face stealer[/spoiler:1zi4iawm]. Remember the season 1 finale? [spoiler:1zi4iawm]Aang has to figure out where the Ocean and Moon spirits are hiding so he has to visit Koh.[/spoiler:1zi4iawm]

C

cvgurau

Oh, yeah.

Weird that I forgot that. =/

Unless the climax is a HUGE portion of the movie (and I really can't fathom how they'll parse the movie; there's a lot of material in the first season) I can't see Koh making an appearance. Even in the show, his was not a big role.

Personally, I can't wait to see how Appa looks. :uhhuh:

It's a fairly important part. Well, the info Koh gives is, anyway. But if Shamalama will replace Koh with some Water Tribe sage, I will be sad.

C

cvgurau

Wahad said:
It's a fairly important part. Well, the info Koh gives is, anyway. But if Shamalama will replace Koh with some Water Tribe sage, I will be sad.

Knowing Shyamalan, he will not only replace Koh with a Water Tribe member, but he will play the Water Tribe member... who will show up to delete the Fire Lord and save the world at the last minute. Then everyone will love him, and he will be honored through the ages. :eek:rly:

cvgurau said:
Wahad said:

Knowing Shyamalan, he will not only replace Koh with a Water Tribe member, but he will play the Water Tribe member... who will show up to delete the Fire Lord and save the world at the last minute. Then everyone will love him, and he will be honored through the ages. :eek:rly:
What a tweest! :waah:

I said this in a previous thread but...

The Twist will be that Aang never woke up from inside that iceberg. The entire movie will be a hallucination in his head, as he and Appa slowly freeze to death. The Fire Nation will eventually win the war and kill off the next Avatars as the pop up, until the reincarnation cycle swings back to Air Bender. Being as there are no more Air Benders, the cycle dies and the world is doomed to forever be at the grip of the Fire Nation. The End.

C

Chibibar

TeKeo said:
The twist will probably be that Aang isn't the last airbender or the avatar.

:eek:rly:

yea... I remember they (the creators) were thinking of changing the name to "The Avatar" and drop "The last airbender"

[spoiler:13geg6am]Technically, Aang is NOT the last airbender. The sand people can bend air and earth (more or less) but control sand and wind to power their sails[/spoiler:13geg6am]

Yeah if you wanna get technical, the cycle is doomed anyway.

(Of course this assertion is based on the idea that bending is genetically-inherited, rather than cultural, trained, location-based, etc., all of which have proof in their favour in the show.)

G

Gill Kaiser

Chibibar said:
TeKeo said:
The twist will probably be that Aang isn't the last airbender or the avatar.

:eek:rly:

yea... I remember they (the creators) were thinking of changing the name to "The Avatar" and drop "The last airbender"

[spoiler:2g2bpkt9]Technically, Aang is NOT the last airbender. The sand people can bend air and earth (more or less) but control sand and wind to power their sails[/spoiler:2g2bpkt9]
I am fairly certain that nobody except the avatar can bend more than one element. The sandbenders are simply earthbending sand particles to form a vortex which then drives the surrounding air into their sails. There is no direct bending of air. I'd imagine that the feat takes a lot of practice, which is why only sandbenders can do it.

If you think about it, there are ways by which most benders could indirectly produce the effects of another type of bending. For example, in order to approximate airbending, a waterbender might theoretically be able to bend water vapour in the air in order to direct air currents, or a firebender might manipulate the temperature of specific areas of air in order to do the same.

I'd almost rather see an entire movie about Koh (it was implied there was a decent-sized story that happened two avatars ago). I think that when you average the awesomeness-per-second, Koh is the most awesome character in the whole show.

C

cvgurau

I think bending is cultural, not genetic, which means that Aang isn't the last airbender, even if we never saw one on the show (and I assert that we should have; after 100 years, more airbenders would've shown up).

Of course, the only proof of this is that Kitara is the only airbender in her family; from what we saw, neither brother, parents, nor grandmother were benders..... although, I suppose Paku (who is a bender) could secretly be her grandfather (Gram-Gram and him having got horizontal before she left).

The creators have said it's a mix between genetics and spiritual ability/awareness - it's why every Air Nomad can bend but not every Earth Kingdom denizen can. (Example: The twins in the Fortune Teller; when one of the gang asks who can bend, one brother says: "I'm an Earthbender!" and the other says: "I'm not!" or something like that.

That said, the cycle is still doomed, but hey.

It's not doomed. [spoiler:j5er6c7a]I'm sure Aang and Kitara will be having some little air bender rugrats.[/spoiler:j5er6c7a]

G

Gill Kaiser

Bending is a combination of spirituality, culture and genetics. I like to think that during his tenure as Avatar, Aang will spread the philosophy and teachings of the Air Nomads to others. There's bound to be some people still alive that have a great-great-grandparent that was an Air Nomad; we know that even though the Air Nomads were more spiritual and possibly more reclusive than the other nations, the majority of their race was spread throughout the world, not just in the Air Temples. I find it inconceivable that at least some interracial breeding didn't go on, which makes it very possible for Airbending to make a comeback, and for the Avatar cycle to continue. After all, there will be 3 whole generations in between Aang and the next Airbending Avatar, which is, I think, enough time. Of course, there will (presumably) be Aang's direct descendants, as well.

Unfortunately for Appa, since the ancestral habitats and herds of his species were culled over 100 years before the start of the series, I doubt that the Sky Bison have managed to survive. Even if there were some scattered survivors, the severe reduction in numbers would cause serious inbreeding depression.

Oh, and by the way guys, it's "Katara", not "Kitara".

Status
Not open for further replies.