Export thread

Atheists the scum-dogs of the universe...apparently

Bones

Bones

so I was told today, as a casual atheist/agnostic/I don't give a rat fuck about the existence of god there is science that needs doing, that I am bad person and need to see the light of god. oddly this was provoked over the fact I was ignoring one of those people who hand out the new testament on campus. just the fact he stuffed a bible or w/e in my hands and I proceeded to stuff it down his pants because I didn't want it and I didn't feel like finding a trashcan to dispose of it in.

so I guess score one for people who are sick of having others beliefs shoved down their throats?

MindDetective

MindDetective

Apparently the Pope thinks we are Nazis: The Pope, Nazis, and atheism | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine

Edit to type gud

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

I'm pretty sick of it too, even if I'm not an atheist. I wish people stopped telling me I'm an idiot for believeing in something, there's plenty of other stuff to call me an idiot for.

(I'm talking about you, though. Just to make it clear. I hate people who try to push their beliefs on me from both sides, but in my context, this usally means the option I ranted about)

Bones

Bones

I agree completely on both sides, I just hardly ever see atheists out in force trying to convert people, although I am sure they exist. I personally believe that you should believe what ever makes you happy. I choose to believe in nothing because it makes my life all that much easier to live. also its fun to watch people horrifying reactions when you mention shit like that in casual conversation. try it sometime just say something like "there is no god....there is only ZUUUUUUL!". people....shit...a...brick... in anycase I was just venting....

Dave

Dave

Atheists also try and shove their beliefs down people's throats, but they use such things as online forums, comments to news stories and the occasional lawsuit against something they perceive as religious (i.e. In God We Trust, one nation Under God, etc.).

Neither side is without guilt.

Bones

Bones

I don't believe anyone was denying that?

Math242

Math242

Apparently the Pope thinks we are Nazis: The Pope, Nazis, and atheism | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine

Edit to type gud
gott mitt uns

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

he stuffed a bible or w/e in my hands and I proceeded to stuff it down his pants because I didn't want it and I didn't feel like finding a trashcan to dispose of it in.
You assaulted someone for handing you a book?

Bones

Bones

I plead the fifth!

:D

Espy

Espy

he stuffed a bible or w/e in my hands and I proceeded to stuff it down his pants because I didn't want it and I didn't feel like finding a trashcan to dispose of it in.
You assaulted someone for handing you a book?[/QUOTE]

Man, I had a guy give me a Harry Potter book and I made him eat that mothertrucker.

Give ME a book will you? HMPH!

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

How dare that motherfucker encourage me to read?!

I'M BLESSED IN MY IGNORANCE!!!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Not allowed at the local library:

Bones, espy SpecialKO

makare

I would rather have the quiet old guys on campus who peacefully hand out tiny bibles than those sandwich board wearing screeching nutjobs who condemn me to hell because Im a female in college.

I have gotten to the point where someones behavior and discourse almost means more to me than his actual belief.

David

David

Atheists also try and shove their beliefs down people's throats, but they use such things as online forums, comments to news stories and the occasional lawsuit against something they perceive as religious (i.e. In God We Trust, one nation Under God, etc.).

That's actually something I've been thinking about recently. How is it forcing beliefs down people's throats for me not to want to have to acknowledge the existence of what I believe is a false idol in order to pledge allegiance to the country? Nobody is making anyone say "one nation, without god" or "one nation, under the light of Islam guided by Allah." How is this any different? Why is it considered me forcing my beliefs down other people's throats for me to want to stop having other people's beliefs down my throat?

Chazwozel

Edit to type gud

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

I agree completely on both sides, I just hardly ever see atheists out in force trying to convert people, although I am sure they exist. I personally believe that you should believe what ever makes you happy. I choose to believe in nothing because it makes my life all that much easier to live. also its fun to watch people horrifying reactions when you mention shit like that in casual conversation. try it sometime just say something like "there is no god....there is only ZUUUUUUL!". people....shit...a...brick... in anycase I was just venting....

Yeah there are asshole atheists:

Krisken

Krisken

Man, i really miss the old pope. The Emperor is a jackass.

I don't mind people handing me things of that nature, but I do get upset when they start telling me I am a bad person for kindly refusing. There is no reason why I can respect a person's right to their beliefs and not get bent out of shape over them while they have to make a big scene over it. I always figure those people are a little too proud of their beliefs. Fucking sinners.

Iaculus

Weren't both of those examples shoehorned in where no religious message was previously, though? I mean, the 'one nation under God' thing in particular is a relic of McCarthyism. I can see why people might be upset about that.

makare

Atheism as a political platform bewilders me. Even though i am an advocate of keeping religious references out of the courts and the political system, I am not comfortable backing people who are against it because it is a reference to God and God doesn't exist. I don't believe that. So if an atheist group wants to get rid of the ten commandments in a court building or Under God in the pledge I can't in good conscience support their platform. I just don't agree with their argument.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I am okay with the protesting of the 10 commandments on a courthouse thing simply because I think that our legal system is one of the places where we need to be as explicit as possible about the separation of church and state.

I think that a lot of the hoopla right now about "creeping sharia" is fear based on the pervasive belief in parts of the country that the US' legal foundation and authority is solely based on the Bible and that if some critical mass of Muslimness is achieved, Sharia will replace the 10 Commandements as that foundation.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I am okay with the protesting of the 10 commandments on a courthouse thing simply because I think that our legal system is one of the places where we need to be as explicit as possible about the separation of church and state.

I think that a lot of the hoopla right now about "creeping sharia" is fear based on the pervasive belief in parts of the country that the US' legal foundation and authority is solely based on the Bible and that if some critical mass of Muslimness is achieved, Sharia will replace the 10 Commandements as that foundation.
The funny part about this is that we ALREADY have Sharia and Jewish courts in this country. They merely rule over matter in their OWN RELIGIONS and don't supersede the secular laws of the country.

Espy

Espy

I'd take being handed a book over being harassed on every damn street corner by environmental nutjobs with clipboards who want my money and email address and then get all pissy when I won't talk to them.

Krisken

Krisken

I'd take being handed a book over being harassed on every damn street corner by environmental nutjobs with clipboards who want my money and email address and then get all pissy when I won't talk to them.
Yeah, I'm going to have to say they are both self righteous dicks. Why is it ok for the guy with the book to give people a hard time but the environmentalist is a nutjob?

Espy

Espy

I don't recall ever saying I was ok with anyone giving anyone a hard time.

phil

phil

I'd rather have the hippy clip boarders than preacher bob ranting about homosexuals and calling all the girls whores for the way they dress!

But honestly just avoid walking through the middle of campus and if you do just switch to the other side of the walkway/street or whatever when you see them.

Krisken

Krisken

I don't recall ever saying I was ok with anyone giving anyone a hard time.
I'm sorry, I assumed you were saying it was better for the man in the OP to hand out his book and give him a hard time than an environmentalist. It certainly appeared to be what you were implying with your post.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I do have to admit; at least the walking evangelists in my area don't ask me whether I can donate to their cause, and then insist that they're more than happy to take my credit card information if I don't have cash.

Espy

Espy

I was just saying literature/books being handed out are a-ok in my book. Assholes are not, no matter their cause.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I'd rather have the hippy clip boarders than preacher bob ranting about homosexuals and calling all the girls whores for the way they dress!

But honestly just avoid walking through the middle of campus and if you do just switch to the other side of the walkway/street or whatever when you see them.
Just tell those people to look to Jesus and away from their hateful ways...

It always gets their goats.

Covar

Covar

I have to admit, I get more annoyed with the people who gather around them on my campus or worse the asshats who feel the need to argue/harass those morons. All they are doing is justifying their behavior. Just don't give them what they want, ignore them and they will move on to try and find other "sinners" to save.

Chibibar

Well. I think it is more of the government is "pushing religion" into the throat who don't believe in God.
I always thought it was interesting to "swear before God" or hand on the Bible before testifying.
There is an idea of separation of Church and State but that can never really happen (to an extent) because people will believe what they believe and will mention it on TV, but when government start banning stuff because "it is bad in God's eye" then the religious people are wrong not Atheist.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

It always gets their goats.
That reminds me of the time in school when I ate the bible the man handed to me. He said I was blaphemous, but I told him I was gorging myself on the words of god. It could have used some salt though.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Yeah there are asshole atheists:

Take it easy on the guy... his genes made him do it...

fade

fade

I don't know Dave. If I had a running tally of which "side" got all up in my kool-aid the most, it would be the Fundies. The atheists run a far, far distant second in my own personal experience.

Also I'm not sure how to take "In God we Trust" as anything buy religious.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Well. I think it is more of the government is "pushing religion" into the throat who don't believe in God.
I always thought it was interesting to "swear before God" or hand on the Bible before testifying.
There is an idea of separation of Church and State but that can never really happen (to an extent) because people will believe what they believe and will mention it on TV, but when government start banning stuff because "it is bad in God's eye" then the religious people are wrong not Atheist.[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of what is happening is the loosening of the term "Freedom of Religion" and "Separation of Church and State." It basically mean that you are free to believe in what faith you choose or to choose not, and that the State is not going to point you to a particular Church. It is not the State's job to act as though there is no God, just not to keep you from what you believe.

Chibibar

There is an idea of separation of Church and State but that can never really happen (to an extent) because people will believe what they believe and will mention it on TV, but when government start banning stuff because "it is bad in God's eye" then the religious people are wrong not Atheist.[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of what is happening is the loosening of the term "Freedom of Religion" and "Separation of Church and State." It basically mean that you are free to believe in what faith you choose or to choose not, and that the State is not going to point you to a particular Church. It is not the State's job to act as though there is no God, just not to keep you from what you believe.[/QUOTE]

While that is true, but there are occasion where government is putting God in places where it should be neutral.

strawman

strawman

Here's a neat trick - most people will let go of the object they are giving to someone else once the object moves.

So when someone puts out a book or literature to hand you, reach out as if to grab it, miss it by a few inches and push it with the back of your hand sideways. Many people will release the object, it will tumble to the ground, and you can go on your merry way as they are distracted in picking the object up.

Not that I would ever engage in such tomfoolery myself, but perhaps others will find this funny and/or useful.

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

I think a lot of what is happening is the loosening of the term "Freedom of Religion" and "Separation of Church and State." It basically mean that you are free to believe in what faith you choose or to choose not, and that the State is not going to point you to a particular Church. It is not the State's job to act as though there is no God, just not to keep you from what you believe.
This is something so many people misunderstand, and I'm glad you point this out. All "separation of church and state" dictates is that there is no state religion. It essentially points back to England (at the time it was created) where if you were not a member of the church, you were as good as not a citizen as well.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Back in the Dark Ages... about 1988, some one tried to hand my one of those tiny Gideon New Testaments. I told him not thanks and kept walking. He protested a bit, and I told him I had one at home.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

You don't have to use the Bible, actually.

US legal oaths have two purposes.

1) To make it a matter of public record that you are legally declaring your statement to be the truth.

2) To impress upon you the legal and moral implications of making that declaration.

As such, many legal jurisdictions in the United States allow the witness to swear on a recognized religious text of their choice as befits #2, and all of them allow a non-religious legal affidavit/affirmation, because that's all #1 actually is.

makare

If we allow the state to acknowledge God in anyway it chooses it is a short path to state religion. If it is acknowledging God fairly and impartially it would have to manage to acknowledge all manner of God AND that God does not exist all at the same time. It is just easier to not have the stuff in the first place.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

God is a central tenant in nearly all religious life (there are a few atheist Hindus out there.) So how is "So help me God," picking one to be the state religion?

makare

Because atheists don't believe God exists at all so the state acknowledging God at all kind of screws over their beliefs. That's not right either.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Because atheists don't believe God exists at all so the state acknowledging God at all kind of screws over their beliefs. That's not right either.
It is not the separation of lack of belief and state.

Bones

Bones

its a firestorm! :D

makare

It is not the separation of lack of belief and state.[/QUOTE]

maybe not but that is pretty much how the courts have tried to interpret it over the years, in an effort to make sure state and belief do stay separate.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Atheism is a belief, not a lack of belief.

strawman

strawman

Atheism is a belief, not a lack of belief.[/QUOTE]

Technically that's true, however a lot of people use the term incorrectly to describe their agnosticism, so unfortunately I don't think your statement is true for many people that call themselves atheists.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It's a circular argument.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Technically that's true, however a lot of people use the term incorrectly to describe their agnosticism, so unfortunately I don't think your statement is true for many people that call themselves atheists.[/QUOTE]

What?! Agnosticism isn't a lack of belief either... it's a belief that you can't know... (unless you're just about saying you don't know, which is somewhere in between i guess).

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

What is there to "believe" in if you don't believe in anything?

makare

Honestly I don't understand atheism or agnosticism but it would suit me fine for the government to be more courteous to those beliefs/whatever and keep as much religious refs out as possible.

strawman

strawman

To push the point further, technically you can never prove a negative. So for all intents and purposes, if you believe that there is no God, then your faith must necessarily be greater than those that believe in a God.

:p

To simplify my statement for non-logisticians:

Proving that God absolutely and provably does not exist is, by definition, infinitely harder than proving God does exist.

MindDetective

MindDetective

To push the point further, technically you can never prove a negative. So for all intents and purposes, if you believe that there is no God, then your faith must necessarily be greater than those that believe in a God.

:p[/QUOTE]

Atheists (that are rational) are not trying to prove anything about God, though. And the belief atheists hold is that there is no higher power. Since this is nothing that can be observed (just like a higher power has yet to be repeatably observed), it requires faith to believe it.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Honestly I don't understand atheism or agnosticism but it would suit me fine for the government to be more courteous to those beliefs/whatever and keep as much religious refs out as possible.
I am just doing this to keep the debate going.

But if the State goes to the extreme of not acknowledging a god, then you are being discourteous to those that do.

makare

No that just means belief stays out of the governmental apparatus. It doesnt affect someone's ability to believe at home.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

God is a central tenant in nearly all religious life (there are a few atheist Hindus out there.) So how is "So help me God," picking one to be the state religion?
I think that many of Budhism sects don't give much emphasis in Gods either, seeing the path for ilumination as one that you have to achieve to yourself (so while they might believe, they don't give much emphasis about it)

Note, that I put GodS, because I want to ask you, how can you say "So help me God" and not talking about a specific deity from a religion? If the states claims that is a God fearing nation, how it is not saying that it fears a specific God, a concept that can vary greatly even among the Christian/Judaism/Islamic group?

phil

phil

Can't we just have a holy war to sort this all out?

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

If you insist.

*SMITE EVIL!*

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I think that many of Budhism sects don't give much emphasis in Gods either, seeing the path for ilumination as one that you have to achieve to yourself (so while they might believe, they don't give much emphasis about it)

Note, that I put GodS, because I want to ask you, how can you say "So help me God" and not talking about a specific deity from a religion? If the states claims that is a God fearing nation, how it is not saying that it fears a specific God, a concept that can vary greatly even among the Christian/Judaism/Islamic group?[/QUOTE]

God is a general term, his name is not known/spoken...

It is about the swearing party's god. Not the god of the person asking you to swear.

phil

phil

If you insist.

*SMITE EVIL!*[/QUOTE]

Does that work on someone who is true neutral?

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern;439911 said:

Note, that I put GodS, because I want to ask you, how can you say "So help me God" and not talking about a specific deity from a religion? If the states claims that is a God fearing nation, how it is not saying that it fears a specific God, a concept that can vary greatly even among the Christian/Judaism/Islamic group?
God is a general term,
If is a general term, how can it mean anything? "One nation under Ambiguious-generic-entity-that-we-don't-want-specify" sounds like nonsense and pointless.

his name is not known/spoken...
Yet people came up with a bunch of names for it/them during the course of history. You say that his not know/spoken, so I guess anyone who gave God(s) a name was wrong in your opinion?

It is about the swearing party's god. Not the god of the person asking you to swear.
I really din't understood that statement, or at least, how it makes it any better.

tegid

tegid

But if the State goes to the extreme of not acknowledging a god, then you are being discourteous to those that do.[/QUOTE]

Can you seriously not distinguish between not acknowledging god and acknowledging there is no god?

Chazwozel

Nah, sane atheists realize the term "God" is being used in a manner to describe either events out of your hands (randomness) or just a higher order of the universe. It doesn't have to imply "invisible sky daddy".

Element 117

Some one hands you a book you dont want.If you say "no, thank you" and try to hand it back, and if they don't take it back, drop it and walk away. Don't continue talking to them, because every second you waste with them is another second you can be doing other things.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

What's with the slip-shod editing crap? Have a conversation that can be continued.

The answer on being general? we are not saying The God of Abraham, Yaweh, Allah, Jesus Christ, Brahma, the Invisible Pink Unicorn... just God. And the courts don't ask you to swear to god. Just to swear to tell the truth, the whole whole truth, and nothing but the truth. The swearing party answers according to their conscience (that is what makes it better.)

Now some courts take the opinion that the only Holy Scriptures to be used for swearing the the King James Version. Those courts will likely have to change their ways once it gets to the supreme court.

I did not say that a thing that I am debating here is my opinion. I am just telling you what is happening.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

But if the State goes to the extreme of not acknowledging a god, then you are being discourteous to those that do.[/QUOTE]

Can you seriously not distinguish between not acknowledging god and acknowledging there is no god?[/QUOTE]

For some of the things that Atheists push for, you will have to remove all references to god, as though he does not exist. You will never please everyone.

I do not want to see all the holiday decorations taken down. I'd still like to have a Christmas, New Year, Easter, Thanksgiving, ... holiday. Do we need to shut down St Patrick's Day parades because they use the streets that are payed for by taxes?

Cajungal

Cajungal

Lol. "Sky Daddy." Sounds more like a pimp than a deity.

LittleSin

LittleSin

How come I never meet religious crazies?

I used to dress like a goth...and the only harassment I got was from people in general, not religious folks.

Krisken

Krisken

No.

These are the scumdogs of the universe.

Cajungal

Cajungal

^Yeah, I gotta say... I've come across some jerks on both sides, but most people are fairly respectful... maybe a bit uncomfortable around the opposing side at times, but respectful.

makare

know what I'm sayin?

Baerdog

Baerdog

know what I'm sayin?[/QUOTE]
Yes, I know what you are saying. You don't need to keep asking.

Cajungal

Cajungal

God... it would also be a great online handle. Someone be Sky Daddy!

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

What's with the slip-shod editing crap? Have a conversation that can be continued.
What? You mean how I make multiple quotations? Well, sorry, I like to answer that way.

Can you seriously not distinguish between not acknowledging god and acknowledging there is no god?[/QUOTE]

Nice

For some of the things that Atheists push for, you will have to remove all references to god, as though he does not exist. You will never please everyone.
And for the things that Non-Atheists push for, only a group of religious views will be referenced, as if god does exist (I am oppressing you for saying the opposite of your views?)

The answer on being general? we are not saying The God of Abraham, Yaweh, Allah, Jesus Christ, Brahma, the Invisible Pink Unicorn... just God. And the courts don't ask you to swear to god. Just to swear to tell the truth, the whole whole truth, and nothing but the truth. The swearing party answers according to their conscience (that is what makes it better.)
How would you feel like if it was a "Gods" or "Goddess"? And how can something be "just God"? Each of your examples would implie a load of different things, if the state is going to say that "God in a general term" it is essencially creating definition of its own and making it official, that would oppose the views of Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, etc.

Now some courts take the opinion that the only Holy Scriptures to be used for swearing the the King James Version. Those courts will likely have to change their ways once it gets to the supreme court.
Why is so integral that the swearing part to put a hand in a copy of a religious text??? How about if someone's religion be a matter that can be kept private unless is relevant to the case?

You might argue that "they always can deny use anything", that is just as good as the don't ask and don't tell policy, because if you deny or request the use of another religious text it will be a recorded religious related action that you will be forced to make in public.

I do not want to see all the holiday decorations taken down. I'd still like to have a Christmas, New Year, Easter, Thanksgiving, ... holiday. Do we need to shut down St Patrick's Day parades because they use the streets that are payed for by taxes?
I confess, that is a part that I am myself unsure how to proceed.

First, I don't consider "not give tax money" as oppression, and if you really want a St Patrick Parade, why not make a private funded event with the permission to use the streets for that day?

Second (once that I said the First and I believe that I made myself clear enoug), I honestly don't see much of a problem with governement to give fund to help cultural/artistic events including religion-specific holidays, as long it is not used as a form to promote a political agenda for that religion. Still, Is a case that I am not 100% sure about.

strawman

strawman

God... it would also be a great online handle. Someone be Sky Daddy!
You'll have to find someone else this time, I like being First Lady Puffinstuff.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Hah, I thought you didn't like it!

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Why is so integral that the swearing part to put a hand in a copy of a religious text??? How about if someone's religion be a matter that can be kept private unless is relevant to the case?
Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, the use of a religious text is to impress upon the witness the moral responsibility to tell the truth that they are publicly assuming. As a result, many, many jurisdictions in the US allow for the substitution of other religious texts as the witness would prefer, and every single one of them, by law, accepts non-denominational or non-religious affidavits, so if you don't want to swear on some version of the Bible, you don't have to.

nfldraftman

CincyGuy

Brother Jed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This was the religious blowhard that always showed up at my campus back in the day. One of the old-school fire and brimstone ministers who believed we were all going to hell for the most ridiculous of reasons. I used to get some great promos from this guy for my College Radio Heavy Metal show...I wonder how he would have felt about me using him to bump Slayer?

Edited for a horrific mistake my old Journalism prof would have crucified me for...

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, the use of a religious text is to impress upon the witness the moral responsibility to tell the truth that they are publicly assuming. As a result, many, many jurisdictions in the US allow for the substitution of other religious texts as the witness would prefer, and every single one of them, by law, accepts non-denominational or non-religious affidavits, so if you don't want to swear on some version of the Bible, you don't have to.[/QUOTE]

"the use of a religious text is to impress upon the witness "

So essencially, it is the state using they religion agaisnt them, how nice that freedom of religion includes "have the legal system manipulate me using my faith".

Also, I said before that this kind of thing forces the person to take a public stance about religion. It doesn't matter if the person has the choice to "not swear over anything", even not doing it is something that is a public manifestation, and I still want to know why does the witness needs to be forced to so and how it isn't a violation of her rights as human being of having its own opinions, and most importantly the right to keep it to herself.

Baerdog

Baerdog

I think that if I'm ever called as a witness I will swear on a Calvin and Hobbes collection.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I think that if I'm ever called as a witness I will swear on a Calvin and Hobbes collection.
Or, just affirm that you will tell the truth. That is all that is asked of you.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Or, just affirm that you will tell the truth. That is all that is asked of you.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Bones

Bones

isnt the point just to set up for perjury?

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

isnt the point just to set up for perjury?
That and backing up sworn statements with public testimony usually helps convince juries, but I imagine it's also a historical remnant of our predominantly Christian population at the time of our founding (plus the influence of the English legal system, whose ultimate authority was originally the crown, with all the religious implications therein). If the stability/strength of the government is in question, the threat of legal action for perjury may not be particularly strong.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

So essencially, it is the state using they religion agaisnt them
Yes, it is. If they allow them to, at least. I think it would be much more problematic if we didn't allow people to make a different choice of affirmation.

I said before that this kind of thing forces the person to take a public stance about religion. It doesn't matter if the person has the choice to "not swear over anything", even not doing it is something that is a public manifestation
It can be, certainly. I suspect these days that lawyers on both sides advise their witnesses to do one or the other based on how they think the jury will react.

I still want to know why does the witness needs to be forced to so
Historical remnant. It is pretty ridiculous that the default position today isn't with the religious part removed. Eventually, I'm guessing that the "so help me God" portion of the oath will be done away with just so courts don't have to keep a ready supply of various religious texts in their closets.

That, or they'll switch to ereaders. Which would be kind of awesome. Until the religious texts are replaced with Court EULAs.

how it isn't a violation of her rights as human being of having its own opinions, and most importantly the right to keep it to herself.
Okay, you lost me on this one. How is having the choice to include or not include that statement preventing anyone from having their own opinion? And if you want to exercise your right to keep your opinions to yourself, you might want to avoid testifying in court, period.

strawman

strawman

All of the court sessions I've attended don't even have the references anymore.

Witness goes to stand
Bailiff says, "Please raise your right hand. Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?"
Witness answers "Yes" (if they say anything other than yes such as "uh-huh" or "ok" the judge says, "Just say yes, please")
Bailiff says, "You may be seated."
Then the examination begins.

I'm sure many courts follow different procedures, but I suspect that most are moving towards a simple non-religious method to avoid delays, confrontation, and such.

At any rate, you are generally allowed to view court proceedings if you like, go check out your local district court, see what's on the docket, and see what they do in your town.

Alternately, wait until you are called as a juror. It's interesting, though generally boring and tedious. But you'll certainly see a few people go up and be sworn in as witnesses.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Down here, they still use "So help you God," which makes things a bit awkward. They've dispensed with the Bible, tho.