Baseball is the cheapest sport entertainment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chibibar

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/07/ ... 7430.shtml

\"I think we still are the cheapest form of entertainment in sports,\" he said. \"When you consider what NBA games run and the amount of games that they play, it's astronomical. Think about taking your family to an NBA game or an NFL game and see how much a day at the football stadium runs a family.\"
I must admit, I never been to a ball game (usually watch it on TV with friends) but is it the cheapest?

The sheer volume of beer I would consume just to survive the boredom of watching a baseball game, easily makes it the most expensive form of entertainment for my family.

C

Chibibar

HCGLNS said:
The sheer volume of beer I would consume just to survive the boredom of watching a baseball game, easily makes it the most expensive form of entertainment for my family.
At 5$ a cup? (how much is beer at a ball park?)

I don't buy pop or candies at movies.

There's nothing like sitting around for 4 hours to watch 10 minutes of actual game being played. In terms of hours of my life I've wasted and I'd want back, baseball is dozens of times as expensive as hockey, football or basketball.

Last pro ball game I attended beer was $6/10 oz glass of beer, that was 13 years ago. I can only imagine what they charge nowadays.

I've always had a blast at Baseball games. But the home town team built a new stadium and I could never get cheap tickets again.

I went to a Blue Jays game awhile back and it was only like 9 dollars.

Then again it was the Blue Jays...

Cajungal

Staff member
I'm probably the only one I know who really enjoys baseball. I don't know anything about the teams, but I like watching it. It's the only live game I've ever had a lot of fun at.

Yeah, as Charlie said, the fact that they have double the games makes it cheapest, not to mention that its the only sport that frequently plays games in the middle of a workday.

Zappit

Staff member
I live in Massachusetts, and a Red Sox devotee. Tickets to Fenway aren't cheap, and they aren't easy to come by - Sox fans are legion, folks, and most of them want tickets; Fenway has a 300+ sellout streak going with no signs of stopping. It's part of the reason you see such pro-Sox fans at Sox away games - it's cheaper to travel and the tickets are available.

I've been there once, before all the modifications and renovations the current ownership put in - it's fantastic - no other experience like it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

You want expensive, though? That new driving range they built in New York has tickets that top out at $2,500 and the cheapest seats are so far back and obstructed, you'd get a better view of the game from the bathrooms.

C

Chazwozel

Chibibar said:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/07/09/ap/sportsline/main5147430.shtml

"I think we still are the cheapest form of entertainment in sports," he said. "When you consider what NBA games run and the amount of games that they play, it's astronomical. Think about taking your family to an NBA game or an NFL game and see how much a day at the football stadium runs a family."
I must admit, I never been to a ball game (usually watch it on TV with friends) but is it the cheapest?
It's not as expensive as other sports, I'll give it that. But the amount of beer you have to drink in order to be entertained is mind boggling.

-- Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:06 pm --

HCGLNS said:

Yes sir.

Hockey tickets aren't insanely expensive. You can still get decent seats at about 30-50 bucks a pop at Mellon Arena. I know Wachovia Center has 20 buck seats that even give you unlimited drinks and food for 5 dollars more. Hershey Bears tickets run about 30 bucks for good seats.

Zappit said:
I live in Massachusetts, and a Red Sox devotee. Tickets to Fenway aren't cheap, and they aren't easy to come by - Sox fans are legion, folks, and most of them want tickets; Fenway has a 300+ sellout streak going with no signs of stopping. It's part of the reason you see such pro-Sox fans at Sox away games - it's cheaper to travel and the tickets are available.

I've been there once, before all the modifications and renovations the current ownership put in - it's fantastic - no other experience like it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

You want expensive, though? That new driving range they built in New York has tickets that top out at $2,500 and the cheapest seats are so far back and obstructed, you'd get a better view of the game from the bathrooms.
Fenway is different because it seats so few people. As for the new Yankee Stadium, they really botched that up.

G

Gadzooks

I know Wachovia Center has 20 buck seats that even give you unlimited drinks and food for 5 dollars more
:confused: details please, i've only gotten into Hockey last year, but i plan to watch it a bit more next season...

W

Wasabi Poptart

The Padres have a few deals that aren't too bad. One includes an upper deck ticket, hot dog and a soda for $12. Beer is expensive: $6.50 - $8.50 depending on what you want to drink.

J

Joe Johnson

Cheap if you only see one game - but that only represents 1/166th of the entire season (is it 166 games for baseball?), whereas 1 football game is 1/16th of the season. So, you pack in 10 games worth of a season in 1 football game, versus baseball.

If you choose to look at it that way.

Which you won't.

Jerks.

HCGLNS said:
This.

I used to get free tickets to watch games and I never survived past the 7th inning... after 3-4 beers, 2-3 hotdogs, there's not a whole lot to do. I've seen people take naps and take the sun and ignore games completely.

It's pretty asinine when compared to my other sport loves such as soccer and hockey, where people are completely into it and there's fantastic fan interaction to the sport.

So, yes, I'm not surprised. Baseball is boring!

C

Chibibar

Joe Johnson said:
Cheap if you only see one game - but that only represents 1/166th of the entire season (is it 166 games for baseball?), whereas 1 football game is 1/16th of the season. So, you pack in 10 games worth of a season in 1 football game, versus baseball.

If you choose to look at it that way.

Which you won't.

Jerks.
This is where my lack of sport knowledge. I know different position in different sports (more or less) but do not know how many games. I know that football play 1 vs 1 game. What about basketball? Baseball? (against the same team)

World series is 7 games right? (for baseball)
Basketball also at 7? for final?
I know that football is still 1 game.

Chibibar said:
This is where my lack of sport knowledge. I know different position in different sports (more or less) but do not know how many games. I know that football play 1 vs 1 game. What about basketball? Baseball? (against the same team)

All the following is for American sports.

Baseball(MLB) plays a 162-game regular season. 4 teams from each league (American and National) make the playoffs. 3 Division winners and a wild card from each league. The first round(wild card round) is best of 5, then the next two (league championship series and World Series) are best of 7.

Basketball(NBA) plays ~80 games. 8 teams from each conference(Western and Eastern) make the playoffs. Every playoff series, including finals, is a best of 7. Hockey (NHL) is the exact same as this.

Basketball(college) has a committee that chooses the top 65 teams to enter a huge, single-elimination tournament. Every round is win or go home. They play..uh.. I actually don't recall off the top of my head, but I think it's ~35-40 games.

Football(NFL) plays 16 games in a season. The top 6 teams from each conference(AFC/NFC) go to the playoffs, and it's single elimination. The top 2 teams from each conference get a bye. The Superbowl is, obviously, only one game.

C

Chibibar

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Chibibar said:

Baseball(MLB) plays a 162-game regular season. 4 teams from each league (American and National) make the playoffs. 3 Division winners and a wild card from each league. The first round(wild card round) is best of 5, then the next two (league championship series and World Series) are best of 7.

Basketball(NBA) plays ~80 games. 8 teams from each conference(Western and Eastern) make the playoffs. Every playoff series, including finals, is a best of 7. Hockey (NHL) is the exact same as this.

Basketball(college) has a committee that chooses the top 65 teams to enter a huge, single-elimination tournament. Every round is win or go home. They play..uh.. I actually don't recall off the top of my head, but I think it's ~35-40 games.

Football(NFL) plays 16 games in a season. The top 6 teams from each conference(AFC/NFC) go to the playoffs, and it's single elimination. The top 2 teams from each conference get a bye. The Superbowl is, obviously, only one game.
So... when looking at the cost of tickets, I guess you have to look at how many games you would be attending to see a team Vs another team.

In football (my sister is a Sooner) she goes to one game, but in Baseball you go at least couple of games to see the same teams play against each other?

SeriousJay said:
It's pretty asinine when compared to my other sport loves such as soccer and hockey, where people are completely into it and there's fantastic fan interaction to the sport.

So, yes, I'm not surprised. Baseball is boring!
Is there another sport where you can read the entire game on a score sheet instead of a video recording?

Chibibar said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Chibibar said:

So... when looking at the cost of tickets, I guess you have to look at how many games you would be attending to see a team Vs another team.

In football (my sister is a Sooner) she goes to one game, but in Baseball you go at least couple of games to see the same teams play against each other?
In baseball they usually play 3-game series on consecutive days, but you have to buy tickets to each game individually.

J

Joe Johnson

And you're not obligated to see the whole series. If a team wins 2 of the three games, they put 2 in the "win" column, and 1 in the "lose" column. (in other words, they don't play each series as if it were a mini-playoff, where the winner of the series gets the "win").

C

Chibibar

while I don't keep track of sports, I do enjoy watching them with friends. I don't like watching sports by myself unlike my father who LOVES watching sports. My mom use to tell me that my dad watch ALL football games (yes and recorded) he usually have couple of TVs and watch different games.

I can't say much about it since I one time I did play 5 hours of Team Fortress 2 on 2Fort (capture the flag) over and over and over again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.