Blockbuster makes it official : Files for bankruptcy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bingo. Which is more than what we had before.
Well, Netflix doesn't stream every movie ever, same for TV DVD's (we don't have currently airing for the most part). Also, some are only streaming for a limited time, and others take months, if they ever, become available for streaming. So I wouldn't worry too much.

Directly above your post, I see an ad for Netflix.

I'm taking that as a sign. :p

But it's not the only sign of things dropping. As I said, there's been at least half a dozen store closings over the past two or three years.

Honestly is anyone surprised by this? First off, if you just look at their stock over the last 10 years it was pretty clear they were going to die hard. On top of that, why in gods name would I ever rent at blockbuster? Their selection was poor, at best, only moderately acceptable for new releases, the rest was godawful. The prices weren't even remotely competitive. For the price of renting a movie I could almost buy one. Then of course there is the convenience of red box for new releases or netflix on demand for 'I don't know what I want to watch exactly.)

Really the killer for me was the pricing. I can buy a movie at Valero for like 7$. And not some crap movie either, something good. I think I saw Inglorious Basterds there for 9, I got Charlie Wilsons War for 6 a couple months ago. I just grabbed Hellboy for 6 at the Randalls. Why would I ever pay 3-6$ to rent a movie when I can own it for 6-9?
It sounds like the American Blockbuster charges a lot more than the Canadian one.
I purchased Inglorious Basterds, Star Trek and Zombieland at Blockbuster for $15 TOTAL.[/QUOTE]

While you can do similarly in the states it's still not that cheap. Well with the going out of business sales most locations have had you can. Those 3 together would probably run you 30 here. I bought animal house, original day the earth stood still and tropic thunder last Christmas for our secret Santa for like 15 ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.