Can you crack an egg with one hand?

Can you crack an egg with one hand?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep it's that time again the "I am bored so I felt like making a poll"

So anyways I was surfing around and I saw the following video.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfHqdc4pbbs:36z6jvmq][/youtube:36z6jvmq]

Now I am wondering is this really something people have troubles doing? Cause I have always been able to do this since I was little and just assumed it was the proper way to crack eggs. So I though I would make a poll and see who here can crack an egg with one hand.

L

Lally

I can't even crack an egg right with two hands. It's sad how much of a spaz I am. I have to do it in a separate bowl so I can fish out pieces of the shell (which happens probably 30-50% of the time). I fail hardcore at egg cracking.

Lally said:
I can't even crack an egg right with two hands. It's sad how much of a spaz I am. I have to do it in a separate bowl so I can fish out pieces of the shell (which happens probably 30-50% of the time). I fail hardcore at egg cracking.
:rimshot: ?

Lally said:
Well you can't make an omelette without et cetera.

I can crack an egg with one hand. I can also crack an egg under my foot, or with my forehead. Results may vary.

L

Lally

Shegokigo said:
Nope, no joke there. I'm really that dumb. If there's a joke or pun in there (upon rereading, I can't find one) it was totally unintentional. :bush:

fade

Staff member
Crack in on the countertop. A flat surface works better and makes less mess than the edge of the bowl or pan. And less chance of getting shell in the egg.

fade

Staff member
Allen said:
Wait, Lally, there was no joke there? Man, your post about eggs was really cracking me up
Boy, when she figures it out, she's going to have egg on her face. She should take another crack at it.

I can absolutely crack an egg with one hand. There's another trick I can do that involves not cracking the egg at all, but I'll save that one for later when we all know each other better.

Lally said:

maybe your just cracking under the pressure.

I've never even tried. I crack it on the counter or side of the pan. Next time I'll back an egg, I'll try.

O

Occasional Poster

Sure I can crack an egg with one hand, but i can't say I consider it a skill or talent. The idea of practicing with golf balls and a coin (like in the youtube video) weirds me out a bit.

R

rabbitgod

Yes.

I worked breakfast at McDonalds when I was a teen. I used to be able to crack two eggs in each hand. Going faster gave me more time to fuck around in the back.

I recently discovered how to crack an egg on a knife. Where the shell chills out on the knife and the egg slips out. It's not particularly impressive.

I've been able to do it ever since the first time I cracked an egg. Back in seventh grade home economics class. We were making pancakes.

At first it was easy to get shell in the pan, but after three or four eggs I was experienced enough to avoid it.

I like eggs. :uhhuh:

Yes. I can't do it with two hands, but I can do it just fine with one hand.

It's more fun to try and crack an egg without first breaking it, with one hand. Not that hard, just takes some practice.

Lally said:
You're hitting too hard, probably.
Also, crack the egg on a flat surface, not on the edge of the counter or bowl. Cracking on the edge drives pieces of shell into the egg. Cracking on a flat surface doesn't.

It's easier for me to crack an egg one handed than two handed.

If i want to separate out egg whites from the yolk, i crack the egg into my fingers, and let the white slip between my slightly-gapped fingers, leaving the yolk behind. Faster and easier than either a plastic yolk separator, or swishing the egg back and forth between the two eggshell halves.

C

Chibibar

I never thought it was that hard :) I have been doing it forever. (cracking egg with one hand)

O

Olorin

I use a different technique than the one shown in the video, but I can do a one-handed egg crack, or two hands for two eggs at the same time.

It's a lot harder to shuffle a deck of cards with one hand, but that's not very useful.

fade

Staff member
Tinwhistler said:
Lally said:
Also, crack the egg on a flat surface, not on the edge of the counter or bowl. Cracking on the edge drives pieces of shell into the egg. Cracking on a flat surface doesn't.

If i want to separate out egg whites from the yolk, i crack the egg into my fingers, and let the white slip between my slightly-gapped fingers, leaving the yolk behind. Faster and easier than either a plastic yolk separator, or swishing the egg back and forth between the two eggshell halves.
Hey, what the hell? I said the same thing almost verbatim up there. Razzle-fraggin'-rootin'-tootin'..mumble mumble

OH MAN! oh man oh man oh man. ok, ok, i got one. Here goes.

Seems like a lot of the people who can crack one with one had are acting like quite the egglitists!

I DID IT!

fade said:
Tinwhistler said:
Lally said:

Hey, what the hell? I said the same thing almost verbatim up there. Razzle-fraggin'-rootin'-tootin'..mumble mumble

Yes, yes you did. When I read it, I thought "I should post about that"...but then I got caught up at work. My bad ;)

doomdragon6

Staff member
Now that I think about it, I have no idea how I crack an egg. And we don't even have any here for me to go see.

I'm pretty sure I do it one-handed--- like, when I picture cracking an egg in my mind, using two hands seems weird.

So I dunno. I sure as hell don't have any egg-cooking background, and it's entirely possible that I've cracked less than 50 eggs in my lifetime.

Hm. *imagines he has an egg and goes through the cracking process* Nope, two hands. My other hand comes in at the last second to finish the job.

:unibrow:

Alton Brown said:
Crack in on the countertop. A flat surface works better and makes less mess than the edge of the bowl or pan. And less chance of getting shell in the egg.
That's how I do it too. :toocool:

I'm with Lally, although I've learned how to avoid most of the shell contaminating the bowl. Most of the time.

I'm still incredibly awkward cracking an egg with two hands, though.

R

rabbitgod

Hah, that's how I learned how to crack two in each hand. Damn McDonalds. :explode:

The method approved at my store was one in each hand. Took a bit of practice but that was what was needed for the $8/hour. Damn Mc Donalds.

Status
Not open for further replies.