Career Advice: Northern Exposure or Southern Hopes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Man, fate just keeps throwing some vicious curveballs at me...

I have a job interview coming up on Monday, for a highschool English teacher's job. It's a temp job, yeah, but it would mean 6-12 months of teaching experience on my belt. Also, it will be in a town that's relatively close, only about an hour's drive from home. I have high hopes for that...

BUT!

Today I got an e-mail from a small town in northern Finland. We're talking reindeers and tundra and Santa Claus, here. I applied on a whim for a teacher's post there, elementary thru high school. Mostly it was on a whim, since mostly places in the north get filled by teachers from Rovaniemi or Oulu where there are teacher training facilities. To my surprise, they asked me to come there for a year. No interview, just "call us ASAP and we'll make preparations".

But... it would mean a year living in Muonio, over 500 miles away. No chance to commute there, and it would basically mean leaving behind everything. And I do mean everything. Family, girlfriend, friends, hobbies... I would have to leave everything behind :(

Now, the reasonable side in me says I should take the job and hope for the best. But the more emotional side of me would rather do everything possible to get the job close at home, especially since taking the job up north would mean dropping absolutely everything.

Got any advice for me, o wise and floppy-titted sages? Take the job up north, or try for the job here at south? Moneywise it's not gonna make a great difference. It might be a little better in the south since in the north I'd have to rent an appartment for a year.

W

Wasabi Poptart

Do you want to drop everything for this job? It doesn't sound like it. From what you've said, the school in the north isn't going to pay you more money. If you were looking at it from the point of view that this could be a great adventure, a learning experience, or a way to start a new chapter in your life, then I would say go for it. From the way your post sounds, however, you are happy where you are and leaving would have a negative impact on you. If you're completely miserable in the north because you miss what you've had to leave behind, IMO it could affect your ability to teach effectively and your first job could be a total bust.

I agree with Wasabi.

I jumped at a chance like that when I graduated. But I was still near family. My choice was to live at home and substitute teach, or jump out on my own and teach a foreign language that I did not speak in a tiny town in East Texas... I went for the cash.

If you are serious enough about this girl, you may risk the southern job. If it is just a fling, grab your coat and hit the trail.

C

Chibibar

That is a major crossroad for you NR :(

I have to agree with Wasabi. Do YOU want to move away from everything and start a new life?

North_Ranger

Staff member
In all honesty, a year ago I would have jumped at the chance. Now, with my renewed friendships and the girlfriend, I just couldn't make that choice so easily. I've been wrestling with this thing the whole day, talking to some close friends, family and the girlfriend...

I think I will give this a miss. For me it comes to a stark combination that I think would be too much: first of all, the distance. I checked, and the place is actually much further north than I initially recalled. We're talking Alaska-like conditions here... But that alone wouldn't have deterred me. The crux comes with the fact that it would be a year-long gig. A year away from friends and family, plus the uncertainty what happens afterwards. Going abroad as an exchange student is still quite secure: you can come home for the holidays, and you know you can pretty much pick up from where you left off. Six months, that I think I could have managed. But not that long, not so far away.

I'm placing my bet on getting that job in the town nearby. Wish me luck, and thank you for the advice.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Bad news: I must have mixed the resumes up: it's an elementary teacher's job, not high school. A slight disappointment, but it still looks way better than the job up north.

Good news: I test-drove the route to the school today. It's barely half an hour away from my place! I so gotta get this job! :)

Got the interview tomorrow. Wish me luck, guys.

C

Chazwozel

One place offered you the job already. One place offered you an interview. You do not have two job prospects to choose between, you have one.

Dave

Staff member
Yeah, sorry I missed this thread. I'm slipping.

There are two things you have to ask yourself:

1) Would it really matter if I didn't get the close job? In other words, would it be a major league bad thing? Could you continue to live or would this make you homeless and destitute? If it would be a burden, take the job in the North. Your friends and family would understand. Really the only issue would be your girlfriend.

2) What are your chances realistically with the close job? If you think it's a good chance I say go for it. But if getting a teaching job in that close area is tough maybe you should bite the bullet.

Moving away from home for the first time by yourself is hard as hell. I did so when I was 17 years old and I never looked back (except for the time when I first got out of the Marines and had to stay at my parent's house for a little while). You never know - it might do you good to be on your own. But that's just me. I've always been very self-reliant.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Okay... I let the place up north go. It was a chance, sure, but it would have necessitated such a drastic and sudden uprooting that I simply wasn't ready for it, not yet.

The interview today... well, in all honesty I'm hopeful :) The school seemed nice, I think I made a good impression on the principals (as the job would be teaching in two separate elementary schools in the same county) - and one of them actually proved to be a Blackadder fan as well! I basically told them what I had noticed; that it's less than half an hour away, so I can start pretty much whenever they want, and the job prospects are better in this one: it's not a temp job like the one up north, but I would actually be replacing the current teacher who retires in September.

Moneywise... well, I pretty much live on a shoestring budget (mainly because I'm a cheapskate), so I can get by with the dole and oddjobs for now, so I won't be living under the bridge. I won't be taking luxury cruises, either, but I get seasick anyway so no loss there. Plus, I've been sending open applications to schools in the area, getting my name out, telling I'm available for temps and such. The job would help a great deal, yes, but it's not the end of the world. Just sent two more applications today...

North_Ranger

Staff member
Just got the news today. I didn't get the job :( So, I'll keep looking... sooner or later I'm bound to get my chance, I think I made a good impression there.

Status
Not open for further replies.