Cataclysm: level while gathering. (+PTR?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They just revealed that when you loot trade nodes in Cataclysm, you gain experience.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Beta - (English) Forums -> [BUG] Herbalism and xp

Looks like my gathering classes are going to have a bit of a leveling boost. :p

Also, anyone else tried the PTR? The new streaming tech is very odd, and reminds me a lot of Guild Wars when I used to play it. If no one knows about the streaming tech, basically if you are tired of downloading the patch and want to get into the game sooner, it will allow you to play and "stream" in the missing data as you play. Then later on, you can just restart the patch download to finish up so you won't have to stream in the future.

To give you an example, when I started downloading the PTR using the new launcher, it said I have close to 16gb of data to download. 150mb of that data is "required" before I could hit the play button. I let the system run for around 1gb of the data before I decided to give the streaming a try. I loaded up and it streamed in my character transfers. Once I entered the game, it showed a downloading bar as it loaded the data for the areas surrounding me, and I was able to play just like normal, a little indicator in the corner telling me when new data was coming in.

In order to prevent you from going into areas that have not streamed in yet, it even generated translucent "walls" that vanished once the area beyond it streamed in enough. Very odd to play, but kind of cool.

Shannow

Staff member
I am jsut more eager for the dates floating out and about of Nov. 5th. Though that seems a bit of a stretch, it does make me hopeful.

That date seems pretty optimistic to me, but I guess you never know.

Once Cata is released I'll hopefully be on again. Hunting season + buying a house + other stuff = Shakey has no time to play.

The beta is not the public test realm. There is a separate client and anyone can copy (not move) their character over there. As it is a test realm, though, it's constantly busy, buggy and slow.

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Also, since in the last beta build Blizzard put out Archaeology and now every zone is populated with quests and new material aside from Winterspring and Silithus, it seems like the first week of November may not be too far off for a release date.

Shannow

Staff member
Ah. I'm not allowed in the beta. Blizzard hates me.

Go to your account page (where you would xfer characters, name change, etc) and there is a spot to copy a character to the Public Test Realm. Its open to all, and you can play things on there to your hearts content.

Be aware that the test realm does not have all the world changes or exclusive Cata changes (Azeroth flying, new class combos, etc.), only game mechanic changes like the new resource system and talents. I was trying it out yesterday (after the download finally finished getting all the data) to get the hang of hunter focus and paladin holy power changes, while also checking out the new talent system and UI improvements. I have not done a dungeon yet, though I hear Blizzard is experimenting with mob damage, because people are getting "destroyed" in them.

One other change occurring is the shift from emblems to points. Here is the post from Blizzard explaining what will happen when the system changes in the next patch. The jist of the change is that emblems are being abolished for a point system similar to the relationship between Honor and Arena points in PVP.

World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums -> Cataclysm Currency Changes Explained

I hear the conversion rate right now is horrible from emblem to point. That may change, but get ready to use all your emblems before 4.0 goes live if the conversion does not improve. (people with 200 triumph and 50 frost only able to buy one Heirloom and no tier gear once it converted to points.)

Also, I noticed the PTR was also bringing the inevitable removal of WEAPON SKILLS. All weapon skills you can use on your class are now gained automatically, and are always matched to your level. If you wanted to get achievements like Weapon Master and Knuckle Sandwich, you may want to do them now so they transform into Feats of Strength later.

The only items that will still involve leveling are now professions and secondaries, and they even have a unique tab on the spellbook that lists all relevant profession skills and level ranks.

Status
Not open for further replies.