Cell phone and plans advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning on getting a cell phone in the near future and could use some advice.

I pretty much want it for streaming audio, a phone and maybe an mp3 player, in that orders.

I'd be streaming audio on average about 6.5 hours a day, 5 days a week. I don't need a text plan.

I don't need anything fancy on the phone, and I'll need an unlimited data plan I guess.

Any advice is appreciated.

When I return home, I'm looking into the WalMart exclusive T-Mobile deal of $30/month pre-paid for 100 minutes, and unlimited data and text. I think it's 5GB of either 3G or 4G (can't remember) and then you're throttled down to 2G speeds. I don't know how much data is used by audio streaming. You can find it in some WalMart stores and choose an android phone, or supply your own phone and buy a SIM card from the T-Mobile website. Obviously it depends on their coverage in your area. I had a grandfathered plan of $20/month for 60 minutes, so adding $10/month for more minutes (I don't talk that much) and unlimited data is perfect for me, while still being as cheap as possible.

You're talking about 10's of gigabytes of data per month. Even piddly 64kbits/second (non-upgraded pandora) audio streaming is going to be 25GB per month. I think the only network that has a truly unlimited data plan is sprint. The others all appear to cap you at 5GB or thereabouts for their unlimited plans - if they have an unlimited plan.

Further, you're going to need to plug that thing in, or get a phone with an extended battery because few phones will stream audio from the cellular network for 7 hours straight without a charge.

The phone is going to cost you, but the service plan is going to gouge you. Are you sure you can't make do with a large MP3 player?
Added at: 17:37
When I return home, I'm looking into the WalMart exclusive T-Mobile deal of $30/month pre-paid for 100 minutes, and unlimited data and text. I think it's 5GB of either 3G or 4G (can't remember) and then you're throttled down to 2G speeds. I don't know how much data is used by audio streaming. You can find it in some WalMart stores and choose an android phone, or supply your own phone and buy a SIM card from the T-Mobile website. Obviously it depends on their coverage in your area. I had a grandfathered plan of $20/month for 60 minutes, so adding $10/month for more minutes (I don't talk that much) and unlimited data is perfect for me, while still being as cheap as possible.
That seems like a good deal for this use. Once it gets throttled down to 2g speeds, it should still stream audio.

Hmmm somebody at work was telling me about t mobile deal.

Local major radio that I can pick up inside the building gets repetitive or outright sucks, and the smaller stations don't have a good enough signal. So I was streaming a station in the morning and early afternoon.

I'm not really worried about the actual phone time limit that wouldn't be a problem. I'd planned on getting an AC adapter/charger for work and home and some headphones for work.

Thanks for the input so far !

Hmmm somebody at work was telling me about t mobile deal.

Local major radio that I can pick up inside the building gets repetitive or outright sucks, and the smaller stations don't have a good enough signal. So I was streaming a station in the morning and early afternoon.

I'm not really worried about the actual phone time limit that wouldn't be a problem. I'd planned on getting an AC adapter/charger for work and home and some headphones for work.

Thanks for the input so far !
Do you have a wifi connection you can tap into? Because that would solve a lot of issues

I haven't had a device that I could check that with. I'll try Monday with my roomie's Kindle can pick up anything. I know the work WIFI is locked tho

I haven't had a device that I could check that with. I'll try Monday with my roomie's Kindle can pick up anything. I know the work WIFI is locked tho
Seduce your manager into giving you the password. If they turn out not to be into it, threaten to sue for sexual harassment unless they give it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.