Export thread

Champions Online Open Beta - Grab Your Keys FAST

Rubicon

If you wanna try CO then nows the time. Right now only certain sites are offering free beta keys. You can of course pre order and get a key, or become a fileplanet paid subscriber and get a key. BUT

http://www.canardpc.com/concours/champions

has some keys

yea its in french but they keys DO work

the answer is the second one from the top

one key per IP so make sure you enter the right email address

hope to see some fellow spandex wearers in the future

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Ok, what the fuck? I registered on the site. It gives me an error telling me that my password is not long enough and now I can't use my email anymore because it is already taken.

I am already out of patience with this shit. Fuck Champions Online.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

got a key.
Now where the hell do I get the game?

Shannow

Shannow

thanks, guess I will try it again since I sold my closed beta a few weeks ago :p

Rubicon

Tinwhistler said:
got a key.
Now where the * do I get the game?
fileplanet is the only place that has the open beta client for dl

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

And you have to be a paid subscriber to download the client. Smurf that.

Bowielee

Bowielee

For those who need instruction. When you get the key mailed to you, go to http://www.champions-online.com/node/112700

click on the link to go to fileplanet. follow the instructions there and start the download (you'll have to register if you haven't already). You'll get an e-mail from fileplanet with the same key that you recieved in the e-mail from the site Mav linked. if you're not a paid subscriber, you'll have to wait in line, like I did.

Then go to http://www.champions-online.com and logon. again, if you haven't registered, you will have to register for champions online. Once you've done that, go back to the main page and click on Enter Key in the upper right corner. Enter the same key and click submit. This will tie the key to your CO account.

Sit and wait for download

um.... profit?

No, you do not have to be a paid subscriber to download the client.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

You just get to "wait in line" for 78 minutes.

Rubicon

DarkAudit said:
And you have to be a paid subscriber to download the client. Smurf that.
No you can dl it without being a paid suscriber it's just they key you need which i provided alternatives for

Bowielee

Bowielee

Frankie said:
You just get to "wait in line" for 78 minutes.
I do believe I mentioned that.

It's going to take all night to download anyway, so I didn't plan on playing till after work tomorrow anyway.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Yeah, I'm not even getting 100 kBps download on it.

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The key was easy. Fileplanet is hiding the file. The big link on the front page is for paid subscribers only. The link for the rest of us is buried. Just a 41 minute queue now.

Rubicon

not to jinx myself knock on wood BUT ive always gotten pretty good speeds from FP

right now i'm hovering betweek 800k/1MB down, with WoW, mIRC and MSN running.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm still 256th in line.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I'll try to dl tomorrow. The count is moving way too slow.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm just going to leave it up overnight. it should be good to install when I get home from work.

Then I get to play on way overcrowded servers that will move like molasses :aaahhh:

Rubicon

Ohhh downloading it from FP is the easy part

patching..is OMFG WTF.. im downloading the patch at 14.4 dial up speed..

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, they are "working" on a fix for the patcher. All i know is that it says I downloaded the patch, but anytime I start up the loader, it doesn't want to work anymore.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

DAMN YOU JACK EMMERT!!

(is he even part of the CO project anymore? CoX vets will know who I'm talking about and understand the hate)

A

AngelofBitterness

I'm surprised File Planet are still alive - when they were one of the first hosting companies, I had to visit them a lot but in the last 5 years or so, I have only visited them maybe a dozen times or so. Most files have better mirrors anyway.

Anyway, it said "all keys done" so I take it I won't get one?

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm pretty sure that means that their all gone.

Looks like the client will be done downloading before I fall asleep. Which means I can leave the client patching all night.

A

AngelofBitterness

Ah well, I probably wouldn't have had much time to play anyway. Last MMO I played in Beta was Tabula Rasa.

Bowielee

Bowielee

AngelofBitterness said:
Ah well, I probably wouldn't have had much time to play anyway. Last MMO I played in Beta was Tabula Rasa.
Oh, you poor, poor person...

I lasted all of half an hour in that beta before deciding that I hated it.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Tabula Rasa was one of the most innovative and amazingly crafted with such love MMOs I'd ever played. It's a damn shame they released a good 6 months before it was finished due to pressure from investors.

A

AngelofBitterness

Bowielee said:
AngelofBitterness said:
Oh, you poor, poor person...

I lasted all of half an hour in that beta before deciding that I hated it.
What made you hate it? I quite liked the idea although there were plenty of flaws in the design. But I liked the dynamic world where cities could get taken over by the enemy, requiring you to take them back. It ran very smooth on my PC too. Biggest problem was that a lot of the quests were bugged and there should have been more of them.

I really enjoyed the beta and even bought the game. Combat was certainly more dynamic than that of most other MMos.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I hated how buggy the quests were. I understand it was open beta, but an open beta should just be to stress test the servers, not have major bugs still crawling around.

I also didn't really care for the interface, but I could have gotten around that.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I could say the VERY same thing about EVERY open Beta I ever played.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Shegokigo said:
I could say the VERY same thing about EVERY open Beta I ever played.
I can't say that about the WoW open beta, or even the CoH beta. Other than huge server load, which, as I said above is supposed to be there, both of those betas went just peachy for me. I don't think I reported any bugs at all in the CoH beta. There were a couple in WoW that I reported, but in Tabula Rasa, I stopped keeping track.

Maybe I just got a bad download or something, but I got so frustrated, it turned me off to the game entirely.

I was reallly excited for the game too.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Asheron's Call, Age of Conan, Warhammer, DAoC, LOTR were all HORRIBLE open betas.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Shegokigo said:
Asheron's Call, Age of Conan, Warhammer, DAoC, LOTR were all HORRIBLE open betas.

The only open betas of the games listed I participated in was LoTR and I agree. Which is one of the reasons I don't play that game either.

Same thing with DDO.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

All I'm going to say, is judging any game, before it's been out for at least 6 months, is the reason great MMOs don't survive.

A

AngelofBitterness

When a game has thousands of quests, then it's obvious that the most bugs will be found within those quests. The same goes for single player RPGs like Oblivion and Fallout 3. Most MMOs like WoW keep their quests rather simple (kill X bears, get head of X, go to location X and click on Y) but in games such as Oblivion, there's dozens of triggers that need to be set off for a sequence to become activated and only one trigger needs to fail for the quest to get bugged.

Personally, I'd like to see more interesting quests in MMOs. LOTRO did rather well - certainly better than vanilla WoW - but I would want quests that branch off instead of being so linear.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Shegokigo said:
All I'm going to say, is judging any game, before it's been out for at least 6 months, is the reason great MMOs don't survive.
All I'm going to say is, customers shouldn't have to wait for 6 months after a games release to work properly.

But then again, that's not a problem exclusive to MMOs, however, I'm not going to pay a monthly fee waiting for them to fix it.

And yes, I understand that closed betas are supposed to be buggy, that's the purpose of having beta testers in the first place, but the open beta should be the spit and polish, not the nuts and the bolts.

Far

Far

I have an extra key for Champions so if anyone wants it just send me a pm.

Rubicon

K I found a work around for patching, they released a standalone patch you can use, it works for some but not others (if it hangs on gameclient.exe for you after you install the standalone fix, look on the forums someone mirrored gameclient.exe thats up to date)

So I log in, runs a bit slow on my laptop I use for gaming but none the less my first toon is born, BUNNYMAN LIVES!

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally. Once I download the client it needs another 1 gB of patching?

Rubicon

No. Download the latest client from FP, go to champions-online.com they have the standalone patch (it's like 240 MB). Install patch, then when you run the patcher your only patch to download is a grand total of 32MB, after that you can log in and play.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

too late..i set up the launcher to do it's own patching and walked away to go to work. Joy.

They really need a better set of instructions on the beta site on how to get up and running.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

2 hours into the client download, and it's barely a quarter of the way finished. I have little to do on the 'puter that really needs bandwidth this afternoon, so I'll let it go to dinnertime. If it's still not done, smurf it.

(ETA: not even close to halfway after 4 hours. Smurf it. *cancels dl*) :eyeroll:

Gkbur

There are apparently some patcher problems (and by some, I mean a buttload) so many people are patching slowly, and others are having the patcher stop and are finding the need to restart the DL.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Well, the game crashed on start up during the whole police chief bit. Too bad, I was kind of excited to play as Future Cop 2999. He's from the future.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I used to be excited about the game, but what I've read from some recent coverage, plus all this fileplanet beta bullshit has soured me on it. I think I'll end up waiting until after release and when they start offering "free trials" for 7 or 10 days or whatever, like just about every other MMO does nowadays.

I'm keeping busy with warhammer, at any rate.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Awesome, so my game launcher just locks up at Loading. Please wait

This is the most fun I've ever had not playing a game.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The game itself is perfectly fine... it's just the inane bullshit you need to go through to play it.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

ok, played a few minutes.
Spent 20 minutes making my character costume.
Spent 10 minutes determining that I didn't like the game.

It's very 'busy'. A lot of shit is going on at once right in the starting area, which has a great big old startle-factor with all kinds of shit quickly going on (including bad guys running right up to your starting area) while you're still trying to figure out how things work.

The mobs are packed DENSELY..there's no real safe place to go in the starting area, other than some very small circles of cops.

I spent most of my time running around getting swarmed while trying to figure the game out.

The first few missions were straight from CoX (Talk to a cop, practice your combat moves, etc), and really made it feel like a bad CoX ripoff.

Didn't much like it.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Shegokigo said:
Determining whether an MMO is good or not before it's been out for 6 months is why great MMOs die before they can reach true greatness

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

and so, maybe I'll try it again in 6 months. I don't see me paying for this right out of the gate.

If a game feels crappy to the majority of users right out of the gate, how can you know if it's going to be a "great" mmo? This one certainly doesn't feel like one.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Yeah, I've filled up my 8 slots. I have way more fun making the guy than actually playing him.

-- Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:19 pm --

Here's 3 of them:

ULOK the HUNGERER!
WHAT DOES HE HUNGER FOR? SOULS!

Future Cop 2999

Half man, half cop, ALL FUTURE!

The Mighty Warricane

Here he is! Rock you like a WARRICANE!

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Ok, these shit cocks need to get their shit in order. I'm only allowed to play once before the launcher borks out on me and I have to restart to get it to work?

Fucking ridiculous.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Are those cell shaded graphics? They look freakin gorgeous!

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Yeah, it's cell shaded.

They really allow you to ramp up the settings on stuff too, though the game currently becomes as stable as Amy Winehouse in a High Level crack den when you do.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I haven't had any problems with everything maxxed out, but as I've said before, I still have a pretty hefty gaming rig.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Fucking game won't let me use the option to take advantage of my dual core, so things aren't running nearly as well as they should be. Otherwise it's perfectly fine and entertaining once you get into the game. Millennium City looks much more like a city than Paragon ever did.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Dr. Calamitus

-- Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:13 pm --

getting back into the game, i seem to be doing better this time around

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Bowielee said:
I haven't had any problems with everything maxxed out, but as I've said before, I still have a pretty hefty gaming rig.
Yeah, I do too and it crashes like a mother whenever everything's maxed. I don't know why yet.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That's how the game looks?! That's awesome! All the screens I saw before didn't look like comic book shots.

Gkbur

Take it from a beta tester, take a slotted passive defensive power as soon as you can, it'll make soloing a lot easier. Invulnerability from the Power Armor set, Defiance from the Might set, Personal Force Field from the Force set, Regeneration from the Supernatural set. It will make your life a hell of a lot easier since these powers either make you heal faster, or boost your defense. Also available are slotted passive offensive powers, these aren't quite as good as the slotted defensives for soloing, but they also make fighting a lot easier by adding to your damage, or helping you regenerate energy. These aren't required to get along by any means, and if you've got a group then you'll likely not need them (unless you're playing a specific role in the group) but they help a lot.

Also, if you're using a hero who's basing powers around strength (Martial arts, Might, Power Armor, etc.) then remember that you can pick up cars, and later armored cars and larger items. These are extremely damaging to many enemies and are great against fliers if you're a melee hero.

Edit: A few of mine, most are much lower res because they're saved directly from the costume creator.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I think I'm better at making bad guys.

Violent Violet

She's as mean as she is pinkish purple!

KING DEMENTIOUS

Live from the infinite Layers of the Abyss!

Hot Stuff

She'll as soon set you on fire as tell you the time!

Gkbur

A few more of my characters, first my magic user, Verik

And next, my munitions/gadget user, Techmarine

Far

Far

I still have a key that I'm not using if anyone wants it. I'll post some screens of my characters soon.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Dollhouse, the gadgeteer.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Damn it, the fucking servers always go down when I want to play. Well, when I want to make more heroes. Number of heroes I've beaten the tutorial with: 0. Number of heroes I've made: around 16.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

you should beat the tutorial. The kudos at the end are pretty nice :)

WolfOfOdin

Mr. Gone

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I need to dig up my old Champions role playing character sheets and see if I can re-create my old melee brawler and my super scientist/super speed character.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

sixpackshaker said:
I need to dig up my old Champions role playing character sheets and see if I can re-create my old melee brawler and my super scientist/super speed character.
It's supposed to be exportable, so it should work. That doesn't mean they will necessarily be as good though.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

AshburnerX said:
sixpackshaker said:
It's supposed to be exportable, so it should work. That doesn't mean they will necessarily be as good though.
I imagine there have been a few rules changes in the last 12 years though.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

A big improvement over CoX: you get your travel power pretty much right out of the tutorial, rather than having to play for months first. Yay, Dr. Calamitus can now fly! (though I did seriously consider burrowing through the earth as my travel power)

Rubicon

Tinwhistler said:
A big improvement over CoX: you get your travel power pretty much right out of the tutorial, rather than having to play for months first. Yay, Dr. Calamitus can now fly! (though I did seriously consider burrowing through the earth as my travel power)
You always got a travel power in CoX.. I did the demo of CoH back in like 05, around the time Kurtz was raving about it, I made a Blaster toon and got Flying in like, a couple levels. It wasn't super fast flying..but it was flying.

In CO its what, lvl 5? And each level is slooooooooooooow.. The quests help but still, its slower than I'm used to for the newb levels.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

In City of Heroes/Villains, you can get a temp flight power at 5 and 10 by doing 3 Radio/Paper missions and then doing a Safeguard/Mayhem Mission. You can also buy temp flight packs or get them from certain story arcs.

At launch, needing a way to get around was a problem. It is not anymore and hasn't been for at least 3-4 years.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Ok, I finally beat the starting area and man, honestly, this shit isn't fun. At all. I had more fun backflipping around the training area than I did fighting mobs that can kill me in 2 super power hits.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Tinwhistler said:
AshburnerX said:
In City of Heroes/Villains, you can get a temp flight power at 5 and 10 by doing 3 Radio/Paper missions and then doing a Safeguard/Mayhem Mission. You can also buy temp flight packs or get them from certain story arcs.

At launch, needing a way to get around was a problem. It is not anymore and hasn't been for at least 3-4 years.
Back when I played City of Heroes, you didn't get flying until you were like level 10 or 20. but that was during like chapter 3 or something.

And then it was slow ass flying...15 minutes to fly one end of the zone to the other.

Your travel power wasn't really useful until you'd leveled up a lot.
That's because you were using Hover, which wasn't a "travel" power, but rather a power that gave you defense and allowed you to keep your position in the air without suffering the usual accuracy penalty. It was never meant to be used to travel and is generally not taken unless you already have an Anti-Air power, as Air Superiority is much more useful. However, you NEED to take one of these two powers to take Flight at lvl 14 or later.

Seriously, the game is much better than it used to be. However, Champions DOES handle travel powers better than CoX.