Export thread

Chihuahuhas Overrunning California Shelters

Fun Size

Fun Size

According to reports, there are now shelters that are over one-third populated with chihuahuas. I've made my suggestion as to how to handle it (Someone want to forward that link to PETA for me? Thanks.), but in all honestly I'm kind of baffled as to what happened here. Do that many people really buy a pet based on a fad and then bail on it when they realize that...well, it a chihuahua.

Dave

Dave

Pets are work. People see puppies and think CUTE! Then they realize they can't go out, they have to walk the dog, pick up poop, put up with chewed shoes, etc.

Translation: Dumb people do dumb things.

Fun Size

Fun Size

But it's a chihuahua. You don't even have to walk the damned things. Just hold them outside a window once in a while, give it a light squeeze, and you're good.

Man, them's some lazy motherfuckers.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

And you got to feed them every day...

Math242

Math242

you feed your tacos?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

My cousins had twin Chi-Chi-hua-huas (in English not Spanish,) Taco and Tico. They were named for a Taco Bell clone, Taco Tico. So I fed another's Taco.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Is this really surprising? Does anyone remember the dalmatian fad?

Or the clown fish fad?

Or how every time there's a new Telus animal that becomes a fad pet?

People are idiots when it comes to animals.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I remember the SPCA was worried that there could be a Harry Potter Owl pet fad. Thank Cod that never happened.

Dave

Dave

I remember the SPCA was worried that there could be a Harry Potter Owl pet fad. Thank Cod that never happened.
Cod? You worship a Giant Space Fish?

Bonhomme Richard

Bonhomme Richard

Dave

Dave

Fun Size

Fun Size

At least they're putting them in shelters. Not many people know the risks involved with letting chihuahuas go feral. They start getting together in these packs, and then they are truly a force to be reckoned with. A small pack of chihuahuas can skeletonize a cow in thirty seconds.

Well, the bottom fifteen inches of a cow anyway, but still, it's a disturbing sight.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Cod? You worship a Giant Space Fish?[/QUOTE]

It is a leftover from a message board forum that I once belonged to. There were these 2 brothers from Norway with the listed family name Cod, Per and Torlof. And several of us started taking their name in vain instead of the big guy's.

Both were Military, one was a Norwegian Pioneer (Ranger type), the other came to America and became a Marine. The Marine was the best white hat hacker I ever came across. When we invaded Afghanistan the Marine died a horrible, lingering death.

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

Yes, Funsize they are like a pernicious invasion of fire ants, except these are nearly Warm-Blooded creatures.

Chazwozel

Or the clown fish fad?

Why is there achihuahuha fad?

Bonhomme Richard

Bonhomme Richard

My guess is the Taco Bell commercials

Chazwozel

Those commercials are from the 90's. They're ancient.

Dave

Dave

Or the clown fish fad?

Why is there achihuahuha fad?[/QUOTE]

Paris Hilton and other "celebrities" have these animals to carry around in their purses. This breed of dog has become a "cute" accessory.

Bonhomme Richard

Bonhomme Richard

Those commercials are from the 90's. They're ancient.[/QUOTE]Never said it was a good guess.

Dave

Dave

http://www.glamourdog.com/dog-carriers.html

Kill yourself if you own some of these.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Guys, are you really all out of the loop?

http://www.examiner.com/x-2786-SF-D...Beverly-Hills-Chihuahua-fallout-happening-now

this was the same shit that happened after

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0822832/

and an influx of shelter bound Labs. Idiots thinking a dog is an accessory that's fun to have after watching a movie. :devil:

Bonhomme Richard

Bonhomme Richard

This is one loop I'm glad I'm out of.

KCWM

KCWM

tastes like chicken!

or so my cat tells me...........

Chazwozel

Guys, are you really all out of the loop?

http://www.examiner.com/x-2786-SF-Dogs-Examiner~y2009m12d9-Beverly-Hills-Chihuahua-fallout-happening-now

this was the same shit that happened after

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0822832/

and an influx of shelter bound Labs. Idiots thinking a dog is an accessory that's fun to have after watching a movie. :devil:

I've always known that you always get an influx of morons buying animals after seeing a movie with the title character being a dog, fish, cat whatever, but people actually try to mimic Paris Hilton? Really? She's a role model for some people? Really?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

She's a role model for ALOT of people actually.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The Taco idea would never work. There is not enough of a ROI. It is a lot of work to boil and shred the meat that is on a Chihuahua. Have you ever cleaned a Chihuahua and prepared him as food?

neither have I.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Okay then, chihuahua buffalo wings. They have at least as much meat as a chicken wing.

Iaculus

She's a role model for ALOT of people actually.
"There's nothing wrong with Southern California that a rise in the ocean level wouldn't cure."
- Ross MacDonald.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I've always known that you always get an influx of morons buying animals after seeing a movie with the title character being a dog, fish, cat whatever, but people actually try to mimic Paris Hilton? Really? She's a role model for some people? Really?
Yes, idiotic sorority girls love to imitate her. I saw it all the time in San Diego. Ditzy chicks with their rat dogs in their purses. I guess that qualified as walking the dog. Then they'd get mad when the overgrown rodent pissed all over their iPod and Blackberry.

And if your fully grown dog is smaller than a house cat, then it's not a dog.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Or the clown fish fad?

Why is there achihuahuha fad?[/QUOTE]

http://adisney.go.com/disneyvideos/liveaction/beverlyhillschihuahua/

The movie did crazy well.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Yes! I am confused. Why so many people keep calling them Dogs, when they are clearly some sort of mutated form of rat?

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Yes! I am confused. Why so many people keep calling them Dogs, when they are clearly some sort of mutated form of rat?[/QUOTE]

Because the rats would form a Coalition of the Swilling with the other vermin populations and declare open war on NYC in retaliation.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Guys, guys.

There's an obvious solution to all this, even if some prudes do not wish to eat chihuahua tacos. We need to do what we did to that killer whale from Free Willy movies. We need to release the chihuahuas into the wild - the freezing seas surrounding Iceland. Then we need to hire a few-million-dollar camera crew to follow the chihuahuas' adjustment to their new habitat.

Trust me, it'll be the greatest twenty-second documentary you've ever seen!

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Guys, guys.

There's an obvious solution to all this, even if some prudes do not wish to eat chihuahua tacos. We need to do what we did to that killer whale from Free Willy movies. We need to release the chihuahuas into the wild - the freezing seas surrounding Iceland. Then we need to hire a few-million-dollar camera crew to follow the chihuahuas' adjustment to their new habitat.

Trust me, it'll be the greatest twenty-second documentary you've ever seen!
WIN!

The only way to improve this would be to throw Paris Hilton to feed them.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

There's also a Guinea Pig movie called G-Force that came out recently. I don't think it did very well. I don't know if there has been a surge of cavy purchases though.

Wait. Looks like there has been a surge. Yay!
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/business/s/1131814_gforce_film_boosts_guinea_pig_sales

rabbitgod

I volunteer for a Greyhound adoption group so I get this monthly newsletter thing. One time they compiled a list of the stupidest reasons people brought back their greyhound. This one woman said that she couldn't have the dog because the brindle clashed with her furniture, despite specifically asking for a brindle. I guess that's the point of dogs, to match your furniture. Clearly I've been doing it wrong.

Despite their rat like qualities I kind of feel bad for Chihuahuas. They didn't ask for these sorority girls to fawn all over them and then toss them to the side when they chew their favorite pair of shoes out of boredom.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Despite their rat like qualities I kind of feel bad for Chihuahuas. They didn't ask for these sorority girls to fawn all over them and then toss them to the side when they chew their favorite pair of shoes out of boredom.
Hey, give a rat some credit; a rat would at least be smart enough to surreptitiously raid the fridge a few times before getting caught.

rabbitgod

Good point, I wasn't being equitable to rats. Please forgive me my rat overlords!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I know of the best reason that a rescued Greyhound was returned.

These teachers I knew were in their late 40's and childless. But their kids were their little white, poofy haired Pomeranians. These were their everything, just bouncy, spoiled, little dogs. The wife saw the news magazine that did the expose on the deaths endured by Greyhounds that got the rescue program started.

As a dog lover she knew that with a little love the Greyhound would adapt to living in a small apartment with 2 other dogs.

The fist day the retired racer comes home, after a few years of chasing a small white ball of fur for a living... They put the 2 pommies in the bedroom and let the Greyhound have the run of the house. Once he relaxes they take the muzzle off, and the Greyhound nods off. About this time one of the pommies pushes open the bedroom door and comes bouncing out into the living room, awakens the sleeping dog...

You don't want to know the rest, but that Greyhound thought he finally caught the rabbit.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

These teachers I knew were in their late 40's and childless. But their kids were their little white, poofy haired Pomeranians. These were their everything, just bouncy, spoiled, little dogs. The wife saw the news magazine that did the expose on the deaths endured by Greyhounds that got the rescue program started.

As a dog lover she knew that with a little love the Greyhound would adapt to living in a small apartment with 2 other dogs.

The fist day the retired racer comes home, after a few years of chasing a small white ball of fur for a living... They put the 2 pommies in the bedroom and let the Greyhound have the run of the house. Once he relaxes they take the muzzle off, and the Greyhound nods off. About this time one of the pommies pushes open the bedroom door and comes bouncing out into the living room, awakens the sleeping dog...

You don't want to know the rest, but that Greyhound thought he finally caught the rabbit.
Can't... stop... laughing... I... am... evil... basta-haha-ha-ha-ha-haaa! :pound:

rabbitgod

Sounds like a big time failing on the Rescues end. My group won't place a dog in a house until there is a meeting between the current dogs and the greyhound, regardless of breed. Some greyhounds get along fine with little dogs. We had this woman come out from Las Cruces with a chihuahua (how's that for thread continuity) and the dog she wanted was fine with it. She didn't get a greyhound in the end since they're big enough to step on the little thing. If my grey went to the house above he would have beat that bedroom door down and grabbed one with his mouth and the other with a paw, shake them to death, then drop them at my feet in triumph. His prey drive is freakish.

Shakey

Shakey

Who wouldn't want one of these?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

This was literally like a few days after that first show that covered the issue. I think she may have rescued the dog directly from the local racetrack.

rabbitgod

Could be. Kennel owners sometimes run their own adoptions. Can't fault anybody really since they were trying to do a good thing. Just need a little more supervision. Poor Pomerenian.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Oh Christ. I grew up in a house with a chihuahua, and she had what my mother referred to as her "love moose".

I sincerely hope they burned that thing after the dog died.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Hey, give a rat some credit; a rat would at least be smart enough to surreptitiously raid the fridge a few times before getting caught.
Yes, but never give them warpstone. We don't want to unleash a plague of Skaven underneath our cities. The filthy Chaos-fueled vermin must be purged in Sigmar's name!

Shakey

Shakey

My mom was watching a friends little rat dogs one day, but didn't tell me.

I stop over there and let my 80lb lab in the house. He goes busting through the house like usual, but stops dead when he see's these little guys. His whole body starts wiggling with excitement as my mom is yelling for me to grab him.

I couldn't catch him in time, but as soon as he starts running at them they go into panic mode. They start yelping and squealing and run for their lives. My dog stopped and did the lab head tilt at them like "WTF are these things". They would not come out from behind the couch until he was gone.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I was walking my little 100lb German Shepherd on a walking trail through the woods at my parent's neighborhood. I come around a corner, and here comes this lady with two tiny dogs. One is loose, and the other is on one of those worthless retractable leashes. I have never seen a good (well behaved) dog on one of those.

My pup is on a leash, with choke chain, both have a lot of slack. I basically only use the leash when he locks onto a scent too long, or tries to poo in a neighbor's yard while walking.

The 'lady' over reacts and starts yelling and screaming at her dogs to come to her. She is roundly ignored. Then I snap at her. "ARE YOUR DOGS AGGRESSIVE OR STUPID?"
"No."
"Well then they should be safe, so please calm down, so they will remain safe."

Of course my dog is fine with them, he has been taught to walk properly, greet other dogs, and move on...

We went off in different directions of the trail, I go about another half mile and see the loose dog walking at heel to my dog. I stop at the next bench to let my large meal settle, and give the dogs some time to hang out. This loose dog (a fat Chihuahua) is shorter than my pups back when he is laying down. Pup sniffs at the other, and all is fine until the Chihuahua tries to mount my dog. I twice had to poke that dog in the ribs to get him off my dog. I was a little disappointed that Pup did not snap the other dog in half. He would have fit in pup's mouth whole.

Soliloquy

Oh Christ. I grew up in a house with a chihuahua, and she had what my mother referred to as her "love moose".

I sincerely hope they burned that thing after the dog died.[/QUOTE]

My friend had a dachshund that was scared to death of this Godzilla puppet that made roaring noises. The dog would not go near the thing, barking frantically whenever he she saw it in a hallway, and staying out of rooms where the puppet could be seen.

One day, my friend found the puppet on the ground, ripped to shreds by tiny dachshund teeth. The little guy finally got up the nerve to fight, it seems.

The dog also had an infatuation with another, stuffed dachshund, but that's another story.

Iaculus

Yes, but never give them warpstone. We don't want to unleash a plague of Skaven underneath our cities. The filthy Chaos-fueled vermin must be purged in Sigmar's name![/QUOTE]

The man-thing knows. Send in the assassins, yes.

SKWEEEK!

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Update to this story: Other states are coming to the rescue in Cali's Chihuahua crisis.

Flying Chihuahuas: Dogs change coast in big exodus

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Chihuahua Crisis of '09.

Gotta remember that one.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

I like chihuahuas because they look like little monster things. It's the same reason I like other animals like Sphinx cats, greyhounds, or bulldogs (french and english).