China bans SC2...

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.gosugamers.net/starcraft/new ... arcraft-ii

China bans Starcraft II
Several Starcraft II exhibition matches were scheduled for the 23rd of July on ChinaJoy 2009. Now they're cancelled.

In the picture above you see what would've been the first place to hold an open event for Starcraft II, but unfortunately the Chinese government didn't give their support. It's still unknown why they chose to ban Starcraft II from this year's ChinaJoy, but unofficial statements from online media says it could have something to do with the new regulation laws, created on the 1st of July this year. In short, any marketing promotion of foreign games on Chinese events must be approved, and pass the censorship by the State Administration of News and Press.

Another possible cause claimed by another, not mentioned, website is that Starcraft II is too bloody, and not healthy for the society. Neither Blizzard nor their Chinese partner, NetEase, have officially announced anything about the open event that was scheduled for the 23rd of July, but a picture says more than thousand words, and the pictures in this thread are taken from this year's ChinaJoy preparations.
good ol china, for every step forward, 2 steps back...

But if this ends up extending to the final game then Blizz will lose some major sales... and the chinese will pirate it even more then they would.

A villain in the game must be Chinese...
...or Zerg camps are too reminiscent of their rural villages...
...or a panda flies a battlecruiser into a mountain and explodes.

...and I'll be here LIVE to give you the latest news from China: Starcraft riots of 2009! The Chinese government has gone one step too far and have messed with a foe even more implacable than Uighur separatists or the Dali Lama ----GAMERS.

Terrik said:
...and I'll be here LIVE to give you the latest news from China: Starcraft riots of 2009! The Chinese government has gone one step too far and have messed with a foe even more implacable than Uighur separatists or the Dali Lama ----GAMERS.
So is halforum going to be banned in China now that we are actively discussing it?

Shawnacy said:
Terrik said:
So is halforum going to be banned in China now that we are actively discussing it?
If I suddenly disappear from the forum forever, you'll know.

Terrik said:
Shawnacy said:
Terrik said:
You're not all that active around here though, so how do we know if you're around but just not posting?

POST MOAR! Our knowledge of your access to Halforum is at stake!

bhamv3 said:
Terrik said:
Shawnacy said:
Terrik said:
You're not all that active around here though, so how do we know if you're around but just not posting?

POST MOAR! Our knowledge of your access to Halforum is at stake!
True---I'm much more active on IRC. I'll have to get into the habit of posting...moar.

But on topic, this seriously puzzles me. China hasn't really had problems with Blizzard products for the most part. Hell, I remember WoW banners flying in the streets of Wuhan, and Blizzard has held gaming tournaments here before. Makes no sense really.

Terrik said:
But on topic, this seriously puzzles me. China hasn't really had problems with Blizzard products for the most part. *, I remember WoW banners flying in the streets of Wuhan, and Blizzard has held gaming tournaments here before. Makes no sense really.
Not saying this is true, since I don't know for sure, but I keep hearing that one of the board members is very close with The9. Blizzard and The9 are not on good terms I hear, a lot of bad blood because The9 was changing the game in favor of certain sensibilities (Which lead to WOTLK not even getting released in China all these months), which was one of the reasons they moved to NetEase. The9 is now taking Blizzard to court over various contract disputes, so I have a feeling Blizzard finding themselves banned from that event might have a bit to do with it.

I

Iaculus

Shegokigo said:
*yawn*

Let me know when they try that in Korea. :rofl:
Actually, I thought to myself that mybe they didn't want a repeat of what happened to Korea with the first one. Could put quite the crimp in their productivity...

C

Chibibar

Is WoW working in China? (I left WoW so not sure what happen after millions were locked out and start playing on Taiwan's server)

maybe this is part of the China's ploy to control Bliz in China.

Shego: there would be riots and possible many deaths if SC2 is ban in Korea.. ;)

L

Le Quack

Boxer would take control of the Korean army and out strategize every korean general.

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't understand how there can be exhibition matches with SC2 before it's released. Is the game basically finished and now Blizzard is (or was) trying to drum up more buzz? I'm entirely out of the loop on the Starcraft side of things but last I heard the U.S. release date was later this year.

They're still balancing, but they've had a few exhibition matches of the "beta" version. Some of which had units that had just been put into the game a few weeks before.

The game was playable enough for a beta test a year ago... and even when they announced it it was playable (and they let people play at soe event), but missing the Zerg.

But this being the successor to SC they need to get the MP balance and unit list just right, and then polish it till the shine blinds you. And we have no idea how far along the SP is...

And they're still changing stuff all the time (the Baneling is either out or they're retooling it).

And all the units they scrapped will be available in the editor too...

Bowielee said:
They're still balancing, but they've had a few exhibition matches of the "beta" version. Some of which had units that had just been put into the game a few weeks before.
Ah okay, thanks to you and @li3n. I am absolute crap at RTS so I don't follow SC2 news, but I thought I would have heard about exhibitions. Dumber than I thought on this.

Well duh... it's just not as cool if it's just a regular panda... not to mention that the fans might not go as crazy with rage from intersecting SC with WC...

Status
Not open for further replies.