Chuck (Season 3-Spoilers for Finale)

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kaykordeath

Still processing everything, but, in light of the Lost thread...

THIS is how you do a season finale. While this season of Chuck has had its detractors (with the Shaw heavy middle arc) I thought tonight's 2 part finale was pretty damn near perfection on a TV screen.

O

Oddbot

Yes I really did not expect such a strong ending. I was very satisfied. I just wish they didn't show you the Buy More going up in flames during last weeks preview >.>

I don't like how they do these endings, when they know Chuck will invariably be on the chopping block the next year like it is every year. Of course, now that NBC won't have Heroes at the 9pm slot, they could move Chuck there so it's not competing (more like getting it's ass kicked by) with House for the 8pm slot. Maybe then it will get the ratings it deserves.

Damn, that was strong. I don't know if it's a result of them being under permanent threat by the cancellation-hammer, but the Chuck crew does excellent season finales.

I do feel as though Chuck's mental deterioration came on a little fast. I mean it went from fine to debilitating in a week.

I loved the season finale and I'll give the rapid deterioration a pass because it really made the climax better. Favorite part of the episode has got to be Grimes breaking his thumbs an absolutely amazing finale to Grimes' personal story this season.

It was a great episode. Season 3 has been a really solid season.

I'm hoping it gets the full load of episodes next season instead of the 13 that's been ordered so far.

J

Joe Johnson

Pretty good stuff. Should be interesting to see what direction it takes. I really hope they don't fall into the "Sam and Diane" thing with Chuck and Sara (well, they broke up again, now they're back together, now apart, now together again!). That shit gets old, fast.

Yes, it was really great. The one thing that I wished was that when Sarah was trying to get the handcuffs off, Morgan should have gone up and said in his way-more-confident-than-he-should-be-about-spy-things-that-he-just-learned-5-minutes-ago way "dude, just break your thumbs! Piece o' cake!"

I'm not sure what I think about the "Chuck first got Intersected when he was 8" thing. I thought it was a great flashback, but it didn't quite add anything to the moment in question. I got the re-emphasis that Chuck really is amazingly good at processing subliminal messages, and it's nice to see him be badass in that way. It was a little unclear if he's like that BECAUSE he first got Intersected at age 8 or if that's just another example of him being that way since birth. In any case, how exactly did that relate to "rebooting?" (Regardless, I did especially love that little "bomb" icon that used to come up when your computer crashed. My sister and I squeed at that).

A (slightly) cooler climax IMO would a have been for Chuck to realize he's better at flashing that Shaw is, and to switch tactics repeatedly, forcing Shaw to constantly re-flash to adapt, and eventually for Shaw to crack a little under the pressure. But we had already gotten to see Chuck do some genuinely smart things that episode so I'm willing to forgive them not coming up with that.

I did have a bit of a problem with Shaw continuously thinking he had such an upper hand that he could calmly walk around and not... I dunno, SHOOT CHUCK IN THE FACE???? I'm willing to forgive that, but it was annoying to have consciously decide to suspend disbelief there.

Chuck is all about suspending disbelief. Not just the crazy premise but the giant plot holes almost every episode. It's a very fun show, but if you're looking for realism, or quite frankly even realistic actions by the various characters, you're going to be disappointed.

Very good season finale though, looking forward to next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.