Export thread

Church to protest Comic-Con because of 'idol worship'

Hylian

Hylian

Church to protest Comic-Con because of 'idol worship' | Blastr

The Topeka, Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church, which is headed by Fred Phelps and which has made headlines over the past few years for a series of protests of events such as the funerals of Meet the Press host Tim Russert (because of his Catholicism and what they termed his "tolerance of homosexuality") and Jerry Falwell (whom they termed a "false prophet') and perhaps most notably the funerals of American servicemen killed overseas, have announced that they plan to picket the upcoming San Diego Comic-Con from 1:15 pm to 2 p.m. on Thursday, July 22.
The reason they're going to protest the con? We think it's best described in their own words, as posted on their website:
"Are you kidding?! If these people would spend even some of the energy that they spend on these comic books, reading the Bible, well no high hopes here. They have turned comic book characters into idols, and worship them they do! Isaiah 2:8 Their land also is full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made: 9 And the mean man boweth down, and the great man humbleth himself: therefore forgive them not. It is time to put away the silly vanities and turn to God like you mean it. The destruction of this nation is imminent - so start calling on Batman and Superman now, see if they can pull you from the mess that you have created with all your silly idolatry."​
:facepalm:

Dave

Dave

I tried to get tickets and found out that it was sold out a long time ago. I had vacation time saved up and everything. Now I find out Angelina Jolie is going to be there. Mother fuc-!

nfldraftman

CincyGuy

At first I facepalmed when I read the headline...but then I saw it was Westboro Baptist. They protest everything, from military funerals to Ronnie James Dio's fan celebration of his life. These toolbags will protest anything to get in the paper. They are hypocrites of the worst order, and about as poor an example of a christian as I can think of.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

They are gonna get eaten alive...

Afterwards, there will be much diarrhea.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I thought those homophobes would be protesting Batman and Robin.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I guess they've gotten bored of protesting at the funerals of American troops? Or maybe they're trying to find easier targets?

I really can't stand the Westboro Church... the sheer amount of rascist, homophobic, misogynistic B.S. that comes from that group is simply mind boggling.

Soliloquy

I guess they've gotten bored of protesting at the funerals of American troops? Or maybe they're trying to find easier targets?

I really can't stand the Westboro Church... the sheer amount of rascist, homophobic, misogynistic B.S. that comes from that group is simply mind boggling.
Well, there will always be racist mysoginistic homophobes in the world, and they will always congregate somewhere.

I just wish that they would congregate somewhere that didn't associate itself with history's most loving and accepting individual.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I'm sure the irony isn't lost on nearly everybody who hears of about these dolts.

I love how they think that people are worshopping comic books heroes as idols... *facepalm*

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

I tried to get tickets and found out that it was sold out a long time ago. I had vacation time saved up and everything. Now I find out Angelina Jolie is going to be there. Mother fuc-!
If you act in a couple of weeks, you should be able to get tickets for next year's.

Krisken

Krisken

Aaaaahhh, Westboro. About as Christian as a Christmas.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I used to get so mad at these people. Now I just laugh. They're wasting their lives, and I'm not. I get to enjoy things and be happy--they don't. I pity their children and grandchildren and hope they can pull away if they want to.

Calleja

Calleja

How are comic book characters "idols" and the three trillion canonized "saints" not?

Cajungal

Cajungal

Westboro hates Catholics, too.

Soliloquy

I think it can pretty much be assumed that if you're not part of Westboro Baptist, they hate you.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Can't wait to see the force they bring out to protest the Vatican Comic-Con.

Krisken

Krisken

The Westboro documentary really was a fascinating thing to watch. It's sad how they indoctrinate their children with the hate speech.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I think it can pretty much be assumed that if you're not part of Westboro Baptist, they hate you.
Their latest sign is "God Hates Puppies." :'(

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I used to get so mad at these people. Now I just laugh. They're wasting their lives, and I'm not. I get to enjoy things and be happy--they don't. I pity their children and grandchildren and hope they can pull away if they want to.
Those kids are basically doomed unless a strong willed parent pulls them out of that lifestyle. That's what saddens me the most about this stupid organization.

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

This pretty much sums them up perfectly...

Cajungal

Cajungal

Yeah. I forget where I saw it... probably youtube... but it was a video of one of the brothers of that horrible woman who's basically running the organization now. He got out and did an interview with someone about it.

Chazwozel

They are gonna get eaten alive...

Afterwards, there will be much diarrhea.

No they won't .

"Are you kidding?! If these people would spend even some of the energy that they spend on these comic books, reading the Bible, well no high hopes here. They have turned comic book characters into idols, and worship them they do! Isaiah 2:8 Their land also is full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made: 9 And the mean man boweth down, and the great man humbleth himself: therefore forgive them not. It is time to put away the silly vanities and turn to God like you mean it. The destruction of this nation is imminent - so start calling on Batman and Superman now, see if they can pull you from the mess that you have created with all your silly idolatry."
I can say the same thing about WBC, if they would spend even some of the energy that they spend on promoting intolerance and hate, they could make the world a better place. Well no high hopes here.

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

Yeah. I forget where I saw it... probably youtube... but it was a video of one of the brothers of that horrible woman who's basically running the organization now. He got out and did an interview with someone about it.
I saw the same video. It's all the same racket as any extremist religion. You have a troupe of top monkey's running the organization and instilling shear fear into their subordinates to getting what they want done.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

There is no real congregation there. It is just Phelps kids, grand-kids, and great-grand-kids in that church. It is more of a tax shelter for his family's law practice.

Cajungal

Cajungal

My favorite video is when that old man screams "YOU'RE GONNA EATCHER BABIES!" Really sums up the crazy in a neat little exclamation.

Chazwozel

There is no real congregation there. It is just Phelps kids, grand-kids, and great-grand-kids in that church. It is more of a tax shelter for his family's law practice.

Yeah, I think the total dumbass factory has about 70-100 members, most of it consists of family and extended family of the Phelps' chimp troupe.

*Actually I kinda feel bad associating chimps with the Phelps clan - bad for the chimps*

Calleja

Calleja

You know how my liberty to move my fist ends where your face begins?

Things like these morons makes me think something similar should be enforced about free speech regarding the promotion of hate and ignorance. But then I start feeling like Big Brother and "The Man" and I break up in hives.

Chazwozel

I'd love to see them prop up a Vatican trip. See how fast they get arrested and never heard from again in front of St. Peter's.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

Things like these morons makes me think something similar should be enforced about free speech regarding the promotion of hate and ignorance. But then I start feeling like Big Brother and "The Man" and I break up in hives.
People like WBC make me want to invent a beehive catapult.

Cajungal

Cajungal

That would be pretty cool. :laugh:

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

I'd be able to get behind Pope Scaryface on that.

Soliloquy

I kind of wish they would spend time actually reading their bible, instead of just five or so select verses -- some of which are taken out of context, most of which written by the apostle Paul (who, while a great church leader, is hardly infallible), and one of which comes from a book where Paul specifically instructs Christians to not judge any "sexually immoral" people who aren't part of the church (see: 1 Corinthains 5:9-13).

I guess it turns out you can't expect people who don't hold your beliefs to act according to your beliefs. Go figure.

Matt²

At first I facepalmed when I read the headline...but then I saw it was Westboro Baptist. They protest everything, from military funerals to Ronnie James Dio's fan celebration of his life. These toolbags will protest anything to get in the paper. They are hypocrites of the worst order, and about as poor an example of a christian as I can think of.
They're purposly trying to sabotage real christians.

Rob King

Rob King

One of the days I was proudest of being a Canadian was the day that I found out that when the Westboro Baptist Church nutcases were on their way here to protest something-or-other, they were denied entry and turned away at the border.

Some called it an affront to free speech, sure. But I don't care. Not this time.

Espy

Espy

This can only end up with several hilarious youtube videos. NERDS V HATEFUL BIGOTS round 1... FIGHT!

Piotyr

Piotyr

Referring to Westboro Baptist as simply "Church" is kind of misleading.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Westboro cult of insensitivity and hate perhaps?

Rob King

Rob King

Referring to Westboro Baptist as simply "Church" is kind of misleading.
Also, this.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'd say that's right. My church got protested by some similar group that didn't even bother to do their research. A group picketed because of our denomination, despite the fact that our congregation is making plans to separate because of recent changes in denominational policy. The group protesting didn't even bother to talk to our pastors, they just wanted a chance to promote themselves at the expense of others. That's what Westboro is doing.

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

This can only end up with several hilarious youtube videos. NERDS V HATEFUL BIGOTS round 1... FIGHT!
Sadly there probably will be confrontations. It would be far better for Comic Con for comic fans to heed the internet advice of "DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!"

Cajungal

Cajungal

^That's absolutely true. There was a counter protest against WBC at my old Culinary School when they came to protest our Gay-Straight Association. Hundreds of people... more people than I thought lived in Thibodaux :awesome:. They were quoted saying that they were thrilled about the counter protest because it means that they "got their message out to that many people" or something along those lines. Nothing fazes them, so it's best to ignore.

nfldraftman

CincyGuy

^That's absolutely true. There was a counter protest against WBC at my old Culinary School when they came to protest our Gay-Straight Association. Hundreds of people... more people than I thought lived in Thibodaux :awesome:. They were quoted saying that they were thrilled about the counter protest because it means that they "got their message out to that many people" or something along those lines. Nothing fazes them, so it's best to ignore.
I dunno, I think I found my con outfit, and mingling would be fun

Calleja

Calleja

If the original protesters protest the protesters that are protesting their protest... does the word "protest" start making sense again? Cause it totally lost it for me now.

Chibibar

How are comic book characters "idols" and the three trillion canonized "saints" not?
I always wonder about that. I was thumbing my cable channel and came across a documentary call religion. One of the priest (or ex priest or something) said they did a poll at the Vatican on who they ask for help (prayers) Jesus was 5th on the list)

this mean that people usually pray to different Saints FIRST. Does this mean they are worship icons?

Also there are many icons of Jesus on the cross, stain glass, and a bunch of other stuff does that count as icons?

Calleja

Calleja

As someone that was raised a Catholic I can totally confirm it's a polytheistic religion masquerading as monotheistic.

Soliloquy

I've always heard it explained that they're asking the saints to pray to God for them -- like going up to someone who has God's ear, and asking them to talk to god on their behalf.

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

I dunno, I think I found my con outfit, and mingling would be fun
[/QUOTE]

Be sure to express full approval of Westboro's antics.

Cajungal

Cajungal

As it's been stated, WBC's not catholic and opposes Catholics strongly.

But the way it was always explained to me, Chibi, is that the Saints help God to "watch over" certain people, and that they relay our prayers to Jesus... which makes them sound like heavenly cubicle slaves. When I was a Catholic, I thought of them as just good examples and a kind of guide that was less intimidating than Jesus, who was part divine. Telling young Catholics that St. Augustine was one of the least holy men you could think of before he gained Sainthood is kind of like telling a struggling student that Einstein failed math (even though he actually didn't, right?).

Fun Size

Fun Size

The real question is why Comic-Con gets harassed but American Idol gets a free pass. IT'S IN THE DAMNED NAME, YOU TOOLS!

Cajungal

Cajungal

:rofl:

Espy

Espy

As someone that was raised a Catholic I can totally confirm it's a polytheistic religion masquerading as monotheistic.
I know a lot of former catholics who feel this way, taken strictly on a theological basis there isn't any real biblical basis for praying to "saints", giving it little real authority as something one must do, however the Catholic Church does a fantastic job of creating non-biblical or vaguely biblically related rituals that are unique to them as a church.

Chibibar

But the way it was always explained to me, Chibi, is that the Saints help God to "watch over" certain people, and that they relay our prayers to Jesus... which makes them sound like heavenly cubicle slaves. When I was a Catholic, I thought of them as just good examples and a kind of guide that was less intimidating than Jesus, who was part divine. Telling young Catholics that St. Augustine was one of the least holy men you could think of before he gained Sainthood is kind of like telling a struggling student that Einstein failed math (even though he actually didn't, right?).
boy that does sound worst.

Cajungal

Cajungal

boy that does sound worst.[/QUOTE]

My Theology teachers were shockingly bad at teaching us about the church that they claimed was the only correct one. :p I could find some positivity in it, but like espy said, there was no requirement to pray to saints or even Mary as long as we honored and respected them. I used to like saying St. Gertrude's prayer before bed for the souls in Purgatory. In fact, I think the prayer I copied on notebook paper from a library book is still hanging in my old bedroom. Wow, memories... Catholicism used to be such a huge part of my life. I always figured I'd grow up to be an old lady who said Novenas and taught Catechism, heheh.

Calleja

Calleja

I've always heard it explained that they're asking the saints to pray to God for them -- like going up to someone who has God's ear, and asking them to talk to god on their behalf.
That's not really the case in practical terms for many, many church goers, though. Down here saints are really, truly worshipped with altars and with specific "miracle requests" and stuff. Saints can't get canonized until a "miracle" is attributed to them... so... y'know..... yeah.

There's a popular saint down here whose figure single women turn upside down so he will "find a husband" for them. Stuff like that. It's really similar to how the Romans prayed to a certain god for a certain request... how is that not very polytheistic-y?

Rob King

Rob King

It looks quite polytheistic, but it isn't. Nobody, not even the ones who pray to the saints regularly, not even the ones who pray to the saints exclusively, would claim that they are God. I imagine that it's much like the Loa in Haitian Voodun: you bring them your requests, and you venerate those Loa that you associate with, and that are appointed patrons over the things you care about. But you also understand that the Loa aren't God, and you know that the Loa actually answer to Bon Dye, who is the apex of the whole scheme, and the only perfect, and most powerful piece in the structure.

I am thoroughly protestant, but I have accepted certain Saints as my 'icons.' I don't pray to them, because I don't believe that's how it works. But I do respect their images and venerate them in my own private way, for the things that they have come to symbolize.

Denbrought

Denbrought

That's not really the case in practical terms for many, many church goers, though. Down here saints are really, truly worshipped with altars and with specific "miracle requests" and stuff. Saints can't get canonized until a "miracle" is attributed to them... so... y'know..... yeah.

There's a popular saint down here whose figure single women turn upside down so he will "find a husband" for them. Stuff like that. It's really similar to how the Romans prayed to a certain god for a certain request... how is that not very polytheistic-y?[/QUOTE]

I've always looked at it in the same way as medicine. It's one art, but it has a miriad of specialties, and depending on what ails you, you'll go to one specialist or another. You probably also have a family doctor/GP. Look at the god as the knowledge and the saints as the handymen.

Calleja

Calleja

It looks quite polytheistic, but it isn't. Nobody, not even the ones who pray to the saints regularly, not even the ones who pray to the saints exclusively, would claim that they are God. I imagine that it's much like the Loa in Haitian Voodun: you bring them your requests, and you venerate those Loa that you associate with, and that are appointed patrons over the things you care about. But you also understand that the Loa aren't God, and you know that the Loa actually answer to Bon Dye, who is the apex of the whole scheme, and the only perfect, and most powerful piece in the structure.

I am thoroughly protestant, but I have accepted certain Saints as my 'icons.' I don't pray to them, because I don't believe that's how it works. But I do respect their images and venerate them in my own private way, for the things that they have come to symbolize.
That's just semantics. They act like they WERE lesser gods, which means it's a polytheistic behavior.

And that's really like lots of people see saints... as lesser gods with specific talents, who like candles being burned in their honor and have PARTICULAR PRAYERS. Come on, PARTICULAR PERSONALIZED SAINT-SPECIFIC PRAYERS! No matter how much you say they're not "God", you're still acting like they are for all intents and purposes.

It may not be as clear cut as a Roman pantheon, but even they had hierarchies, Zeus was the king/god of gods and they all answered to him... but if you wanted a good harvest you still prayed to someone else.

Rob King

Rob King

That's just semantics. They act like they WERE lesser gods, which means it's a polytheistic behavior.

And that's really like lots of people see saints... as lesser gods with specific talents, who like candles being burned in their honor and have PARTICULAR PRAYERS. Come on, PARTICULAR PERSONALIZED SAINT-SPECIFIC PRAYERS! No matter how much you say they're not "God", you're still acting like they are for all intents and purposes.

It may not be as clear cut as a Roman pantheon, but even they had hierarchies, Zeus was the king/god of gods and they all answered to him... but if you wanted a good harvest you still prayed to someone else.
But in a truly pantheistic system the independent Gods each have their own power, which is not leased out from someone greater than them. You don't pray that Poseidon might use his influence with Zeus to calm the seas. You just ask Poseidon to calm the ocean. Zeus might be the king of Gods, the first among the immortals or whatever, but he is in some essence still equal to them. It isn't a matter of semantics at all. It's a matter of the (supposed) metaphysical structure of the system. Do saints have their own power? No. What they do have is a bit of pull with God, who is the seat of all the power in the entire system. Then they aren't Gods, even if they have their own prayers or (as in a lot of Latin America) their own altars and shrines.

It's kind of like the mechanism for electing an American president. At a glance it looks like a direct democracy, because in their heads everyone is voting for who is going into the White House. In reality, though, it's structured so that it's truly an indirect election. Similarly, the Catholic system might at first glance appear to be polytheistic, what with an encyclopedia's worth of saints and beautified individuals, but a real look at the (again, supposed) power structure reveals that it still acknowledges only one God.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I like what the Patriot Guard does to these assholes: Just stands there, with flags in hand, blocking the view of the scum from the families of the dead servicemembers. They don't taunt, they don't antagonize, they just stand there. Watching.

Iaculus

To be honest, this is probably one of the least harmful things they've done. Comic-Con is a huge event; they'll just be another group of weirdos.

Chibibar

I like what the Patriot Guard does to these assholes: Just stands there, with flags in hand, blocking the view of the scum from the families of the dead servicemembers. They don't taunt, they don't antagonize, they just stand there. Watching.
What piss me off to no end is that these "church Phelps group" (I put in quote cause I don't recognize them as a church personally) don't see the big picture. These service members gave up their lives for their country so these a-hole have the liberty to be a-hole. The service members are doing their job through out history and help made this country great. If people have issue with the direction of the use of the military, blame the politicians, not the soldiers. I don't care of their sexual orientation, they gave up their lives to give me the freedom to post what I want on the internet, to buy what I want and live how I want. There are countries around the world (like China) where such liberties you do not have.

tegid

tegid

You don't pray that Poseidon might use his influence with Zeus to calm the seas. You just ask Poseidon to calm the ocean.
Which is what some people do with saints.

Rob King

Rob King

You don't pray that Poseidon might use his influence with Zeus to calm the seas. You just ask Poseidon to calm the ocean.
Which is what some people do with saints.[/QUOTE]

Well then that's borderline heretical.

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

Alternatively: "Those people are confused."

Cajungal

Cajungal

Yeah, that doesn't really happen much here, and I spent 12 years in Catholic school. :p People honor the saints and say their prayers, but you got major flack from teachers/priests/brothers if you even hinted at worshiping saints the way you worship god. Hell, my aunt refused to let my cousin go through with a theology project involving some kind of tribute to Mary because she thought it was "questionable behavior" for a Catholic.

phil

phil

Someone should protest the WBC for idolizing Fred Phelps and his teachings.

tegid

tegid

Yeah, that doesn't really happen much here, and I spent 12 years in Catholic school. :p People honor the saints and say their prayers, but you got major flack from teachers/priests/brothers if you even hinted at worshiping saints the way you worship god. Hell, my aunt refused to let my cousin go through with a theology project involving some kind of tribute to Mary because she thought it was "questionable behavior" for a Catholic.
Well, people do not worship saints the same way they do god, exactly. It's like Calleja said, they treat them like lesser gods. God's still the important one, but they also have the saints.
Down in Andalusia this is particularly true with the virgin Mary. The do worship her. Like, a lot.

General Specific

General Specific

[/COLOR]

People like WBC make me want to invent a beehive catapult.
Or a Trebeechet :smug:

Calleja

Calleja

Oh yeah, the Virgin Mary! We have La Virgen de Guadalupe here... I would take the bet that's she's worshiped down here more than Jesus himself.

She's like the Beatles of catholicism.... heh... hehehe

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

She's like the Beatles of catholicism.... heh... hehehe
You really need to see a specialist :/. You have beatles in your brain.

Steve

Steve

There are several lawyers in the family and they want to A. be denied their right to protest so they can sue the city/county, representing themselves so they have no legal costs and go for an out of court settlement or B. be assaulted by an individual at the event they are protesting so they can sue the individial/venue, representing themselves so they have no legal costs and go for an out of court settlement. They have a documentary "The Most Hated Family in America" that holds true to its title. They thrive off making people miserable. When you are that full of hate the only enjoyment you can find is making other people just as miserable.

bhamv3

bhamv3

---------- Post added at 05:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 AM ----------

Also, the Google ad for me on this page is:

Become a god's children? Which one?

Rob King

Rob King

That's ... that's incredible.

Also, this reminds me of the E3 protest against Dante's Inferno last year ... which ended up being a marketing ploy by EA. It gives me hope that the Phelps-ites might actually all be actors of some sort, all on some sort of long viral-marketing campaign FOR homosexuality, or the army, or both.

Soliloquy

Also, this reminds me of the E3 protest against Dante's Inferno last year ... which ended up being a marketing ploy by EA. It gives me hope that the Phelps-ites might actually all be actors of some sort, all on some sort of long viral-marketing campaign FOR homosexuality, or the army, or both.
I'm pretty sure that if that were revealed, it would backfire to an epic degree. It would gather outrage from the homosexual community and/or military for the pain and suffering they put the families at the funerals through for the sake of that agenda, and would gain ire from the Christians of the world for making the religious community look like a bunch of irrational nut-jobs by association.

In fact, I'm not sure I can think of any group that wouldn't be angry about that.

bhamv3

bhamv3

In fact, I'm not sure I can think of any group that wouldn't be angry about that.
The people who predicted they weren't real, and were a viral campaign.

We'll call them the Followers of Rob King. :D

Rob King

Rob King

I agree, but I'd prefer them to be garden variety idiots than hateful idiots.

I'm actually surprised that the E3 'promotional protest' didn't draw more ire from various churches/Christians. There are enough nutjob sects being intolerant assholes as it is. Cooking up a fake protest and then blaming it on 'the church' doesn't really help those of us who are trying to be tolerant and ... you know ... live by the gospel.

---------- Post added at 04:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 AM ----------

The people who predicted they weren't real, and were a viral campaign.

We'll call them the Followers of Rob King. :D[/QUOTE]

I like "All Rob King's Horses and All Rob King's Men."

Troll

Troll

I'm pretty sure that if that were revealed, it would backfire to an epic degree. It would gather outrage from the homosexual community and/or military for the pain and suffering they put the families at the funerals through for the sake of that agenda, and would gain ire from the Christians of the world for making the religious community look like a bunch of irrational nut-jobs by association.

In fact, I'm not sure I can think of any group that wouldn't be angry about that.[/QUOTE]

But you have to admit that the concept of viral marketing for the homosexual military is a hilarious idea.

bhamv3

bhamv3

It'd be funnier if he was wearing a Scout paper mask...

figmentPez

figmentPez

It'd be funnier if he was wearing a Scout paper mask...
Or one of Jerry Falwell...