Export thread

Cilantro: a loathing

makare

Someday my people will finally vanquish this foul weed!

But first, poetry. Really really bad poetry.

I Hate Cilantro - an anti cilantro community

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Cilantro sucks so much dick

makare

You are correct sir!

What does it taste like to you? It tastes like soap to me.

Me and Colbert.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I love cilantro, especially in salsa, but also in rice. Mmmm, cilantro lime rice.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I don't like it in anything but salsa... and even then not very much. I find it overpowering and not very pleasant in large doses.

Hylian

Hylian

:( I like cilantro

makare

these haikus are hysterical!

Ah! Satan's nut moss
scattered all over my plate,
a dump on my food
- Jimperry

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Cilantro is good in moderation.

Pickles on the other hand . . . :puke:
I call them "Satan's Penis."

Krisken

Krisken

I wouldn't know cilantro if I tasted it, so I guess I am in the "meh" category.

Vagabond

V.Bond

Sure is genitalia in here.

Gusto

Gusto

Cilantro tastes like soap and/or copper.

I almost gag on it every time.

rabbitgod

Cilanto is delicious on everything. Home grown is the best, grocery store has more of the soapy flavor (I guess, I don't taste it so I don't know)

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

My father hates cilantro so much that I don't think I've ever eaten any.

That's how much he hates it. Through generations.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I eat it straight. There was a plate of radishes, celery and cilantro on the T-Day table this year.

It can get to be overkill, but it is a good palate cleanser.

I also love Barbacoa tacos with just onion, cilantro and lime juice as a garnish...

This happens every time we have a food thread, it makes me hungry for certain foods, and I go out and have a big lunch because of it.

Jiarn

There's no way I would enjoy my street tacos without cilantro. So I disagree vehemently.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I enjoy flat-leaf parsley, but I don't like cilantro. And I even enjoy durian.

--Patrick

makare

I think it is important to be clear that for some people like me (and Colbert >.>) cilantro just tastes different. For me it tastes like dish soap which while gross is actually not so bad compared to some people it tastes like blood or even rotted meat. I have no idea what cilantro tastes like to people who like it. I wish I knew but as is, from my perspective, most people would be just as well off putting a dollop of Dawn in their salsa.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Also, and I think NR might be able to agree with me on this, Cilantro: The Loathing sounds like it could be the name of a World of Darkness product line.

strawman

strawman

Cilantro, just the smell of it, was making me nauseous a week or two ago at some meal or another with friends and/or family. It took me forever to figure out what the smell was, then figure out where it was coming from, then define boundaries around the aroma such that I could walk through the area and eat without tossing my cookies.

Chibibar

I love cilantro :)

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

There's a particular type of green bug down here, about the size of a thumbnail (a katydid, perhaps?) that, when crushed, smells the way cilantro tastes to me.

The off-putting part is that it's not always an off-putting taste. Mmmmmm katydids...

Kiff

The Benefits of Cilantro

1. Protects against the Salmonella bacteria
2. Reportedly works as a natural chelation treatment
3. Aids in digestion and helps settle the stomach and prevent flatulence
4. Is an anti-inflammatory that may alleviate symptoms of arthritis
5. Protects against urinary tract infections
6. Prevents nausea
7. Relieves intestinal gas
8. Lowers blood sugar
9. Lowers bad cholesterol (LDL) and raises good cholesteraol (HDL)
10. A good source of dietary fiber
11. A good source of iron
12. A good source of magnesium
13. Rich in phytonutrients and flavonoids

Plant foods in the management of diabetes mellitus... [Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2005] - PubMed result
Hypolipidemic effect of Coriandrum sativum L. in t... [Indian J Exp Biol. 2004] - PubMed result
Herbal remedies - Cilantro and coriander « OrganicFoodee.com
WHFoods: Cilantro/Coriander seeds

Like all other things that are green, Cilantro is good for you, yo.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Are you sure you're Hispanic/Latin/Spanish makare? There's something wrong with you if so.

Kiff

Are you sure you're Hispanic/Latin/Spanish makare? There's something wrong with you if so.
I am of Euro-trash descent, and rest assured I loves me some Cilantro. In fact, I don't believe it's legal in 48 states to make Guacamole without it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Oh, forgot to mention. I have no trouble at all with coriander. It's an essential ingredient of a really good chai, and I love me some chai. It's only the leaf of the plant that gets me. I can tolerate it, I just don't like it.

As for how good it is, you can probably get the same benefits by eating flat-leaf parsley and/or kale, and they're tastier to boot.

--Patrick

makare

I'm Russian German. I don't think I have ever said I was "Hispanic/Latin/Spanish".

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I'm Russian German. I don't think I have ever said I was "Hispanic/Latin/Spanish".
That's almost as good as one of my sergeants, who is Serbian-Croatian...

Gusto

Gusto

I'm Hungarian/Yugo-Serbian and I can't stand the stuff. I suffer from the same genetic condition as makare.

MindDetective

MindDetective

It's okay in small doses. It can definitely overpower, though.

makare

That's almost as good as one of my sergeants, who is Serbian-Croatian...[/QUOTE]

ask him/her about cilantro.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I don't know if I've ever encountered cilantro. But this site amuses me nonetheless.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I love cilantro.

I put it in chili. So there!

makare

Mmmm soapy chili.

:puke:

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

I love cilantro.

I put it in chili. So there!
What about on rare steaks?

Jiarn

Mmmm soapy chili.

Oh now you're just trying too hard. Ever consider that the cilantro you've had was washed but not rinsed properlly?

makare

Mmmm soapy chili.

Oh now you're just trying too hard. Ever consider that the cilantro you've had was washed but not rinsed properlly?[/QUOTE]

Did you read what I posted about it tasting different to certain people? I mean I guess that people all over could just have eaten not properly washed cilantro but I seriously doubt it.

Also, who uses soap to wash herbs...

Jiarn

Idiots?

strawman

strawman

Idiots with soap but no water?

Jiarn

Idiots who put soap on it, then rinse it through water a bit too briskly.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Idiots in a hurry!

makare

Oh yeah. There is this place my friend Andrea loves.. LOVES... where she took me to get tacos. They covered them in cilantro and I couldn't eat them it was awful. The next time she wanted to go I said ok Ill just get something cilantro-less. We walk in and this is what we see

that's big ol pile of cilantro. The horror, the horror. That was the last time I ever went there. Blech.

strawman

strawman

Idiots who wash it with soap in a blender.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Meh, no particular opinion on cilantro, I hardly ever use it.

I do, however, have a number of edibles that I simply don't like: onions, pineapple, mushrooms, pickles, tuna... I guess I'm just a picky eater.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Mmmm soapy chili.

Oh now you're just trying too hard. Ever consider that the cilantro you've had was washed but not rinsed properlly?[/QUOTE]

Did you read what I posted about it tasting different to certain people? I mean I guess that people all over could just have eaten not properly washed cilantro but I seriously doubt it.

Also, who uses soap to wash herbs...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, makare and I have had this discussion/argument in the past. Cilantro tastes great, and nothing like soap, so I had to find out why.

There is a genetic predisposition that can cause some people to have a soapy or metallic taste regarding cilantro. These people are to be pitied.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Onions? ONIONS?! Jeebus, I can't prepare a Cajun meal without chopping 1-3 onions. Where would I be without them?

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Finland?

Kiff

I do, however, have a number of edibles that I simply don't like: onions, pineapple, mushrooms, pickles, tuna... I guess I'm just a picky eater.

Wow North, you just rang off a list of probably my most consumed things. I love pineapple! LOVE IT! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE IIIIIIIIITTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

Mmmm soapy chili.

Also, who uses soap to wash herbs...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, makare and I have had this discussion/argument in the past. Cilantro tastes great, and nothing like soap, so I had to find out why.

There is a genetic predisposition that can cause some people to have a soapy or metallic taste regarding cilantro. These people are to be pitied.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like it's time to get some good ol' fasioned eugenics protocols fired up. Purge the inferiors! It's evolution, baby! >:D

And technically it could be... now I need to devise a way to create an evolutionary bottleneck in which the only food source available is Cilantro for about 100 years. That'll learn em. THAT'LL LEARN EM ALL!

Baerdog

Baerdog

Quote Originally Posted by North_Ranger View Post Meh, no particular opinion on cilantro, I hardly ever use it. I do, however, have a number of edibles that I simply don't like: onions, pineapple, mushrooms, pickles, tuna... I guess I'm just a picky eater. Wow North, you just rang off a list of probably my most consumed things. I love pineapple! LOVE IT! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE IIIIIIIIITTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In fact, the only thing Kiff loves more than all those things is PANTS!

And, uh, I like cilantro. :whistling:

makare

Onions.. yeah that's sad.

I found an onion in my fridge today and squeed. I splurged on a meal out yesterday so now I have no grocery money. I have rice and potatoes and now an onion to make both better. ^_^

Kiff

Quote Originally Posted by North_Ranger View Post Meh, no particular opinion on cilantro, I hardly ever use it. I do, however, have a number of edibles that I simply don't like: onions, pineapple, mushrooms, pickles, tuna... I guess I'm just a picky eater. Wow North, you just rang off a list of probably my most consumed things. I love pineapple! LOVE IT! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE IIIIIIIIITTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In fact, the only thing Kiff loves more than all those things is PANTS!

And, uh, I like cilantro. :whistling:[/QUOTE]

No no no, this has been discussed already. What are pants?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Onions? ONIONS?! Jeebus, I can't prepare a Cajun meal without chopping 1-3 onions. Where would I be without them?
I know! Onions are so very basic to cooking.

My dad is throwing a Christmas party for a committee that he's on, and one of our dinner guests is allergic to onion! My mom, sister and I are very frustrated trying to come up with an onion free meal to accommodate. Last year almost every dish had onion in it. I think only the desserts were onion-free.

Kiff

I know! Onions are so very basic to cooking.

My dad is throwing a Christmas party for a committee that he's on, and one of our dinner guests is allergic to onion! My mom, sister and I are very frustrated trying to come up with an onion free meal to accommodate. Last year almost every dish had onion in it. I think only the desserts were onion-free.[/QUOTE]

Just put onions in. Eugenics!

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Eugenics are not polite when you have guests over.

Hylian

Hylian

Man I love all of that stuff you listed

makare

How anyone can hate mushrooms is beyond me. I love the damn things. I prefer them canned and I can eat a huge can at a time. mmmmm.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

NR, riddle me this. Which sounds more likely as a White Wolf product, Cilantro: The Loathing or Pimp: The Backhanding?

Baerdog

Baerdog

I'd play Pimp: The Backhanding.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Heh, sorry about that, Seej. I know it's a weird dislike, but somehow I've never gotten over the taste and texture of onion in my meals.

Espy

Espy

mmmmm... I love cilantro

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

How anyone can hate mushrooms is beyond me. I love the damn things. I prefer them canned and I can eat a huge can at a time. mmmmm.
It's the texture... plus the fact that mushrooms are one of the few things poisonous in Finnish nature.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Heh, sorry about that, Seej. I know it's a weird dislike, but somehow I've never gotten over the taste and texture of onion in my meals.[/QUOTE]

I just can't even conceive it. I mean, you like what you like, period. But people like that can't survive down here if they want to eat our food, heheh. My boyfriend's uncle refuses to let his wife put onions in gumbo... that's some shitty gumbo.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Out of curiousity, I sniffed the cilantro at the grocery store today.

It did not smell like food.

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

It's the texture... plus the fact that mushrooms are one of the few things poisonous in Finnish nature.[/QUOTE]
I'll back you up on the mushroom thing. They're vile, awful things that should never be consumed by man, woman or beast, and why anyone decided it would be fun to pretend that they taste good is beyond me.

But everything else, man, you are on your own.

strawman

strawman

When my wife's sister in law became pregnant she enjoyed the pickle taste so much that she drank the pickle brine.

I have to admit that most of the things you don't like are really acquired tastes, except for tuna, which as far as fish go is very mild tasting. Everything else has a very unique flavor and texture, and for each of those things I have one or more of my kids that can't stand them.

That doesn't mean I won't put them into the food they eat anyway. Mushrooms and onions in the eggs, pineapple on the pizzas, pickles on the burgers and sandwiches....

NOM NOM NOM NOM

Oh, and regarding cilantro - I just remembered why my older friends like it so much - they have reduced sense of smell, so when they have salsa, it's the one ingredient they can put in to excess that won't offend their tastebuds that they can still smell.

makare

I guess the pickle haters have never made pickle pops from the pickle juice. Hehe.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I love Cilantro but I also love millions of other herbs and spices.

I also Love all kinds of mushrooms that are edible and onions are delicious.

But then again, I eat almost anything if it is fresh and made from high quality ingredients. (I bloody hate N.American fast food and it's franken meat zaneyness: Greek, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, fast food is at least still food. As in, you could eat it every day and still be a healthy person.)
This is absolutely true.
No joke, the 6-7 yuan (around $1.00-$1.30 CDN) fast food meals I ate at a Beijing UNIVERSITY CAFETERIA all rank among some of the absolute best food I have ever eaten outside of homecooked meals. Except for one, which was loaded with mushrooms and thus completely unedible.

Baerdog

Baerdog

I had street tacos from a little Mexican place across the street. With cilantro. They were delicious.

makare

Baer you suck. I don't like you at all.

Baerdog

Baerdog

No, you wuv me. I know you do.

makare

Hmph :humph:

makare

If it tasted to you the way it does to us, you'd hate it too.

Kiff

I love Cilantro but I also love millions of other herbs and spices.

I also Love all kinds of mushrooms that are edible and onions are delicious.

But then again, I eat almost anything if it is fresh and made from high quality ingredients. (I bloody hate N.American fast food and it's franken meat zaneyness: Greek, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, fast food is at least still food. As in, you could eat it every day and still be a healthy person.)
This is absolutely true.
No joke, the 6-7 yuan (around $1.00-$1.30 CDN) fast food meals I ate at a Beijing UNIVERSITY CAFETERIA all rank among some of the absolute best food I have ever eaten outside of homecooked meals. Except for one, which was loaded with mushrooms and thus completely unedible.[/QUOTE]

To you mushrooms are garbage, while others will pay more then the price of gold for a bag of the right ones.

really I can't think of anything I don't eat that isn't fast food.

well... I still haven't eaten pig brain, my wife tells me it is delicious.

You Cilantro haters are silly.[/QUOTE]

Fried up cow brains mixed in with scrambled eggs and sauteed mushrooms. Breakfast of Champions.

---------- Post added 12-02-2010 at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-01-2010 at 11:58 PM ----------

It's the texture... plus the fact that mushrooms are one of the few things poisonous in Finnish nature.[/QUOTE]

In Soviet Russia, mushroom picks you!

I can't tell you how many times I've gone mushroom picking in Polish forests as a kid. I can I.D. the poisonous ones like a pro.

makare

Mushroom picking sounds fun. Are you from Poland?

PatrThom

PatrThom

There's plenty of gene-related food stuff. Asparagus, cilantro, fish, cyanide.

Ok, cyanide isn't really a food. Usually.

--Patrick

makare

Woah I'm glad I don't have that fish thing. That would be awful.

Kiff

There's plenty of gene-related food stuff. Asparagus, cilantro, fish, cyanide.

Ok, cyanide isn't really a food. Usually.

--Patrick
Taste does vary from person to person on a genetic level. Hence the PTC paper test. Most people are sensitive to the [SIZE=-1]phenylthiocarbamide that's present on it those that are recessive for the trait can't taste the bitterness.[/SIZE]

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Cilantro makes me gag every time I smell it and I refuse to eat food that has cilantro on it... even if it's a food I really enjoy.

If I do eat it... I come dangerously close to vomiting... it tastes so BAD!

Cajungal

Cajungal

I don't care for fennel, myself... Any parts of it. They used to make us use the stalk and bulb all the time... Nasty.

Hylian

Hylian

I like/tolerate most food/edible substances out there. But there are a few things I can't stand such as coconut and molasses. Ugh even the smell of molasses turns my stomach.

fade

fade

I'm with you on coconut, Hylian. Especially shredded. I can detect the most minute amount of coconut in anything. It really gives me the gag reflex.

Docseverin

Docseverin

I like coconut mixed with vanilla, but I can't stand the texture of coconut. I also enjoy cilantro, but I imagine it is because I was introduced to Mexican food early in my life and it has been in pretty much everything I have eaten in the last decade.

makare

I don't think the amount of cilantro someone eats can change how it tastes to them. Either it tastes good or it tastes bad.

Docseverin

Docseverin

I think it is possible to acquire a taste, especially if you are exposed to it from an early age.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

For the longest time, I couldn't stomach cheese on anything but pizza. I still don't care for much beyond cheddar...

Eggs either, come to that. If not scrambled (or hard boiled, but only in the case of Scotch eggs), don't even bother... I'ma gag and be unable to eat them.

Raw mushrooms are yummy. Onions are fantastic. Molasses is a staple part of anyone with Southern heritage's diet. Coconut is most delicious fresh. Pickles are the shit, yo... I may get the large jar from Wal-mart, next shopping trip.

So there. :hmph:

Terrik

Terrik

Ah cilantro. I chop that up and stick in my bowl of sesame sauce for hotpot. Mmmm.

Post #501. HIZZAH.

makare

I think it is possible to acquire a taste, especially if you are exposed to it from an early age.
but you would still be acquiring a taste to soap/blood. It doesn't change how it actually tastes.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

but you would still be acquiring a taste to soap/blood. It doesn't change how it actually tastes.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't taste like soap or blood to me.

Krisken

Krisken

but you would still be acquiring a taste to soap/blood. It doesn't change how it actually tastes.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't taste like soap or blood to me.[/QUOTE]
Forget it, man. I've had this discussion before. It just leads to the same point.

Terrik

Terrik

PatrThom

PatrThom

Coconut is great when fresh. It loses quite a bit when dried, then loses every else when sweetened/toasted (I hate Mounds, in case you couldn't tell).
It is especially vile on pizza.

--Patrick

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

Forget it, man. I've had this discussion before. It just leads to the same point.[/QUOTE]

So, this is another one of those "my point of view refutes everyone else's" kinda discussion? The kind of thread in which everyone who agrees gets high fives, pats on the ass, kisses on the cheek which ultimately lead to a frenzied circle jerk?

. . . . . . . . . . .

I've decided to hate cilantro.

makare

This isn't a personal taste thing where people just like a taste while other people don't. It ACTUALLY tastes different.

So if you like it obviously it doesn't have the bad taste to you while if you don't like it, it tastes bad.

It really isn't that complicated of a thing.

Baerdog

Baerdog

Forget it, man. I've had this discussion before. It just leads to the same point.[/QUOTE]

So, this is another one of those "my point of view refutes everyone else's" kinda discussion? The kind of thread in which everyone who agrees gets high fives, pats on the ass, kisses on the cheek which ultimately lead to a frenzied circle jerk?

. . . . . . . . . . .

I've decided to hate cilantro.[/QUOTE]

No, it's one of those "some people actually have a genetic condition that causes them to get a soapy or other kind of taste from cilantro" kind of things. So quit being such a prat and read the damn thread. The point has been belabored to death.

figmentPez

figmentPez

but you would still be acquiring a taste to soap/blood. It doesn't change how it actually tastes.
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if it did change how it tastes. I know that my memories of my first taste of coconut water are far different from what it tastes like now to me. My first sip was like a mouth full of grass clippings, but now I really like the stuff.

However, even if that taste doesn't change, there are people who like the taste of blood out there. I'm not one of them, but there are a lot of cultures who have thought of blood (either raw or cooked) as tasty food.

If people can develop a taste for lutefisk, blue cheese, cinnamon, stinky tofu, durian, hákarl and other foods that most who didn't grow up eating them find revolting, then I'm betting it's possible to develop a taste for cilantro, soap flavor or not.

makare

But that was what I said. You may develop a taste but it still has that taste that is different from everyone else's taste.

Like to me most salsa tastes like soap. I still eat it but it is soapy.

linglingface

linglingface

I'm so happy to see that other people feel the same way about cilantro as I do!! My cousin and I tried to describe our hatred for it and couldn't come up with anything besides, "I taste it in something and it just makes me ... sad."
It's definitely overpowering and after I bite down on some, that taste just won't leave. It ruins my whole day!!

makare

I would also like to add that this thread was never supposed to be about hating cilantro it was supposed to be about the fact that some people hate it so much they wrote really bad poetry about it.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Since when have threads stayed on-topic without drift around these here parts? Young lady, you really should know better

makare

sigh I know but usually there is at least ONE on topic post.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I don't know why you thought a post about food and poetry and hatred would focus on the poetry part. :p

makare

They are shitty HAIKUS about CILANTRO!!

I am an English Lit dork >.>

Baerdog

Baerdog

But haiku is a Japanese form of poetry...

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

シラントロ
よくありません
wwwww

makare

But haiku is a Japanese form of poetry...
poetry in general is part of the english lit disease.

PatrThom

PatrThom

And I came into this thread ready to post the link to the site (as would be appropriate), but then discovered you'd already done so.

--Patrick