Colbert taking over for Letterman for some reason.

Yeah, just heard about this via my social-media-obsessed coworkers, I bet we won't see Colbert dressing up in a suit made entirely of Alka-Seltzer and being dipped in a pool.
The better question would be...who is going to succeed Paul Schaffer? That man's been a staple.

--Patrick

Same here, Craig is an amazing comedian and a great talk show host. This is pretty bad form.
But his deconstruction of the form, rebelliousness and potty mouth will not play well with Middle America.

Not to mention that he basically seduces most of his female guests, and half his male ones...

Interesting. Call me cautiously optimistic, but I'm not sure how entertaining he will be out of character.

Zappit

Staff member
He's done TV appearances and interviews out of character, and he's still pretty damn funny.

He might do the monologues in character, though. Who knows?

Maybe his character will be one of his characters?
He could do a Weekend Update-style bit to keep that character alive, for instance.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
You also have to realize that his interviews are totally improved, so he's got the chops. The issue I have with the "new breed" of late night guys in the prime slots is that they try and make the shows about themselves, and that just doesn't work.

Fallon always has to sing with the musical guest and always has to have SNL type skits that just seem out of place. Carson did silly stuff like that, but it seemed that the guests were always the main focus, not him.

I just hope Colbert doesn't fall into that category as well, which his current show does.

the late show averages about twice as many viewers.
This. It's a bigger audience and a bigger budget. What I'm wondering is if CBS is willing to give him as much leeway as Comedy Central did... and if they don't, how will Colbert react?

You also have to realize that his interviews are totally improved, so he's got the chops. The issue I have with the "new breed" of late night guys in the prime slots is that they try and make the shows about themselves, and that just doesn't work.

Fallon always has to sing with the musical guest and always has to have SNL type skits that just seem out of place. Carson did silly stuff like that, but it seemed that the guests were always the main focus, not him.

I just hope Colbert doesn't fall into that category as well, which his current show does.
I hope you watch Fergeson then, cause he's a great interviewers.

Dave

Staff member
I hope you watch Fergeson then, cause he's a great interviewers.
And that's who should have gotten the gig. An established, hip, funny guy who is not a character and knows how to run a nightly talk show, not a comedy central show.[DOUBLEPOST=1397166831,1397166796][/DOUBLEPOST]Frankly, I think John Stewart would have been a better choice than Colbert.

Craig Ferguson has stated many times that he wouldn't want the earlier slot. He, for the most part, get's to do his show how he wants to do it.

For example, the anniversary show that he did with all puppets, except for the guests. He has a lot of repeat guests he is just visibly having FUN with bantering on his set. He tries to have his quests have fun on his show, rather than worry about pushing their latest product. *Case in point, his recent guest Gina Carano, he really saw she wasn't comfortable yet with being on talkshows, and got her to relax and have some fun*

He can change the format of the show now and then, to do something HE wants to do, i.e. The Stephen Fry interviews, Bishop Desmond Tutu, when James Earl Jones was on the show, etc.

If he could keep the same level on control over what he was doing, he'd probably consider it, but he knows that's not gonna happen.[DOUBLEPOST=1397196392,1397195982][/DOUBLEPOST]As far as Stephen Colbert goes, he has a Warchest of Comedy/Entertaining/Interview skills that go far beyond what the narrow focus of being "Stephen Colbert" has shown most folks.

He won't be "Stephen Colbert" (well, I'm hoping he'll pop up now and then) . He'll be Stephen Colbert, and I look forward to his show.

Rush Limbaugh is imploding over this, calling it "War on Middle America." I'd thought he would be happy since it ends the Colbert Report.

Rush Limbaugh is imploding over this, calling it "War on Middle America." I'd thought he would be happy since it ends the Colbert Report.
My response to this would be to name a conservative comedian who has as much status. Short of the guys on the Blue Collar Tour and Jeff Dunham, I can't even NAME a conservative comedian and none of them are as well respected, educated, or as quick witted as Colbert.

My response to this would be to name a conservative comedian who has as much status. Short of the guys on the Blue Collar Tour and Jeff Dunham, I can't even NAME a conservative comedian and none of them are as well respected, educated, or as quick witted as Colbert.

The cynic in me says there's an all-too-obvious reason why.

The cynic in me says there's an all-too-obvious reason why.
To be fair, there are more than a few conservative comedians who don't talk politics in order to find work. Conservative comedians simply don't get booked in NYC or LA and that's where you're most likely to hit it big. That doesn't change the fact that I can't think of any that have busted their asses like Colbert has over his career.

Honestly this is weird. Also, I'm sure Colbert can do it, I just don't get WHY he would want to? It's a boring, dead format of a show. So I guess it's just about money? Lame.

Honestly this is weird. Also, I'm sure Colbert can do it, I just don't get WHY he would want to? It's a boring, dead format of a show. So I guess it's just about money? Lame.
This was my thought too. The reason that the Late Show and the Tonight Show are floundering has more to do with old people dying or being asleep than with having the wrong hosts. When Conan took over for Leno, he was ousted because the ratings dropped... except the ratings haven't exactly shot up since Fallon took over ether (And that motherfucker hadn't paid his dues yet). Unless they are willing to change the format of the show completely, I don't see how bringing Colbert on is going to make things any better.

He may also simply want his children to be able to watch him on TV. I know he's stated multiple times that he doesn't want his children to see his comedy central persona because it would be dishonest and contrary to the views he's trying to teach them. He could also just be sick of playing a character all the time. Imagine how that would be having to play the same character day in and day out for years. It's got to wear on a person.

He may also simply want his children to be able to watch him on TV. I know he's stated multiple times that he doesn't want his children to see his comedy central persona because it would be dishonest and contrary to the views he's trying to teach them. He could also just be sick of playing a character all the time. Imagine how that would be having to play the same character day in and day out for years. It's got to wear on a person.
This kind of reminds me of the guy who played Klinger on MASH. Once his kids were old enough to watch the show, he stopped doing the drag stuff because he didn't want his kids to see him wearing a dress until they were old enough to not be embarrassed by it.

Those rumours about Craig Ferguson getting forced out seem a little less like rumours now.

http://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/releases/view?id=38787

CRAIG FERGUSON ANNOUNCES PLANS TO STEP DOWN AS HOST OF “THE LATE LATE SHOW”
Critically Acclaimed Host of the Peabody Award-Winning Late Night Show to Sign Off in December

Craig Ferguson announced today that he has decided to step down as host of THE LATE LATE SHOW in December 2014.

Ferguson broke the news this afternoon to his studio audience during the taping of the show, which will be broadcast at 12:37-1:37 AM, ET/PT.

“During his 10 years as host, Craig has elevated CBS to new creative and competitive heights at 12:30,” said Nina Tassler, Chairman, CBS Entertainment. “He infused the broadcast with tremendous energy, unique comedy, insightful interviews and some of the most heartfelt monologues seen on television.”

Added Tassler, “Craig’s versatile talents as a writer, producer, actor and comedian speak to his great days ahead. While we’ll miss Craig and can't thank him enough for his contributions to both the show and the Network, we respect his decision to move on, and we look forward to celebrating his final broadcasts during the next eight months.”

Said Ferguson, “CBS and I are not getting divorced, we are ‘consciously uncoupling,’ but we will still spend holidays together and share custody of the fake horse and robot skeleton, both of whom we love very much.”
He was literally the only watchable late night talk show host.