Dead Waterpark - Disney versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade

Staff member
There was a show on History called After We're Gone that talked a lot about this stuff. They visited a lot of real life proxies for decay.

I grew up in a town that had been reasonably large in the early 1900s, but went dead after the railroad was replaced by auto traffic. I saw a lot of scary abandoned buildings.

Slightly on topic, as of the last time I checked, the Dixie Square Mall outside of Chicago is *still* standing, 30-some years after closing it's doors. For you movie types, this was the mall used in the indoor chase scene in the Blues Brothers. The mall had already shuttered by this time.

C

Chazwozel

Somehow I find it comforting to know that nature so quickly reclaims the space where humans once ruled.

I just find it disturbing how quickly people forget the second law of thermodynamics, not that 'nature' reclaims anything... I actually hate the personification of nature, period.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Somehow I find it comforting to know that nature so quickly reclaims the space where humans once ruled.

I just find it disturbing how quickly people forget the second law of thermodynamics, not that 'nature' reclaims anything... I actually hate the personification of nature, period.[/QUOTE]

It's a figure of speech, man. I don't jump around in the woods chanting silly songs about nature and humping trees.

I leave that to the LARPers.

As one who deals with brush on a regular basis, I can attest if you don't keep up with it you can definitely lose stuff. There's a portion of a good bit of brush not far from our kitchen window and large deer can easily hide in there. And that has only had about a year to grow.

I think I remember a place near Louisville that was a huge amusement area in the 20's and 30's but not isn't much at all. Always neat to see the pictures from many years later.

ElJuski

Staff member
It's not really a figure of speech if it's just a statement.

However, I agree with the wowing notion of what time does to places and things.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Well, I use it as a figure of speech. It's not like I believe in some fruity lady with green hair prancing around in the woods or something...

I just find it disturbing how quickly people forget the second law of thermodynamics, not that 'nature' reclaims anything... I actually hate the personification of nature, period.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they should make it easier to remember. So, let's puzzle something out. So, the 2nd law states, "entropy of an isolated system which is not in equilibrium will tend to increase over time." We need a simplification of terms for the lay person to understand. So, instead of "Entropy," let's call it "Nature." Also, to explain the increase due to the imbalance, we can say that the space is being "reclaimed."

Thus, it is being "reclaimed" by "nature."

Better?

C

Chazwozel

I just find it disturbing how quickly people forget the second law of thermodynamics, not that 'nature' reclaims anything... I actually hate the personification of nature, period.[/quote]

Yes, they should make it easier to remember. So, let's puzzle something out. So, the 2nd law states, "entropy of an isolated system which is not in equilibrium will tend to increase over time." We need a simplification of terms for the lay person to understand. So, instead of "Entropy," let's call it "Nature." Also, to explain the increase due to the imbalance, we can say that the space is being "reclaimed."

Thus, it is being "reclaimed" by "nature."

Better?[/quote]

Disorder in the universe is increasing.

There you go, dumbass laymen.

*actually I'm sorry. I'm just hungover and in a bad mood* Just disregard it.

I nearly drowned there when I was 8. Went to Disny World with my family and my aunt/uncle and older (like 15) cousins. Mom and Aunt went shopping, went to the water park with Dad/Uncle and cousins. My cousins wanted to go to the water slides (Whoop n'Holler Hollow) and I was one of those "ohhh me too" little kids so I followed them (Dad and Uncle were doing something else). Cousins had no idea that I couldn't swim (and I assumed this was similar to other water slides (shallow at landing).

My first cousin went. Assuming she would be at the bottom to help me out, I went. Great Ride, horrible landing. I hit the watter and sunk to the bottom. I kicked off and doggy paddled my way to the surface to get a breath only to be hit by my other cousin as she came off the slide.

Next thing I remember I was being hauled out.

I was VERY eager to get swimming lessons after that.

North_Ranger

Staff member
I nearly drowned there when I was 8. Went to Disny World with my family and my aunt/uncle and older (like 15) cousins. Mom and Aunt went shopping, went to the water park with Dad/Uncle and cousins. My cousins wanted to go to the water slides (Whoop n'Holler Hollow) and I was one of those "ohhh me too" little kids so I followed them (Dad and Uncle were doing something else). Cousins had no idea that I couldn't swim (and I assumed this was similar to other water slides (shallow at landing).

My first cousin went. Assuming she would be at the bottom to help me out, I went. Great Ride, horrible landing. I hit the watter and sunk to the bottom. I kicked off and doggy paddled my way to the surface to get a breath only to be hit by my other cousin as she came off the slide.

Next thing I remember I was being hauled out.

I was VERY eager to get swimming lessons after that.
Brrr... Got chills reading your story, because I too have had a bad experience at a water park as a kid (I think I was... 11 or 12, I think). This one was a place called Serena Water Park here in Finland, and like many places, it too had a wave pool: you know, where at regular intervals they would create huge waves for the kiddies to enjoy.

I was a kiddie at the time, and I was climbing up on this underwater bench by the side of the wall, people pushing and laughing as the waves went by. There was nothing to grab a hold of, so I waited for the next wave to lift me so I could jump on the ledge.

The wave came, I pushed forward, someone pushed me from behind...

Next thing I knew, I was being dragged up from under the water by my dad, I'm coughing up chlorinated water, and half of one of my front teeth is missing. It did not hurt or anything; I just had a diagonal cut going from the gum to the opposite tip of the tooth.

We left immediately afterwards and got a dentist appointment at the same day.

The result? One of my teeth is now half plastic, and I can't watch that water park's commercials on the telly without remembering that.

Status
Not open for further replies.