Disc Drive Not Reading Win7 Upgrade DisK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to put Win7 on my secondary system with my upgrade disks (have both 32bit and 64bit) with no luck as the DVD or the CD drive won't read the disc at all. Other CDs/DVDs read fine.

Any ideas?

Is it a burned disk? Some older CD/DVD drives can have problems reading certain types of burnable disks.

Dave

Staff member
Have you checked another computer to see if the disk is readable by that computer? It may be the disk is corrupted.

Have you tried going to Microsoft Support and seeing if this is an issue?

Just copy the disk to an USB drive and run it from there. It's how I installed W7 on my laptop after noticing that it wouldn't recognise any of the disks I burned.

Dave

Staff member
Just copy the disk to an USB drive and run it from there. It's how I installed W7 on my laptop after noticing that it wouldn't recognise any of the disks I burned.
If the computer won't read the data on the disk how can she copy it to USB?

If the lot numbers/codes are correct, then yes. MSFT has done this before where they release different series of install discs, and the auth codes will only work on other discs within that series.

That said, Win7 probably hasn't been around long enough to have too many different series/pressings made, unless they started right off and split codes/lots up geographically.

--Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.