District 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alucard

Do any of you guys know what this movie is about?
It looks like it has aliens in it but besides that nothing.

Is it supposed to humor/horror mix? Like Starship Troopers?

Every time I see it advertised, all I can think of is that it would be a much better trailer for a game rather than a movie.

I mean, I'd play that game!

Green_Lantern

Staff member
PhantomShadow said:

for what I saw, it looks more like drama and action, and the idea is that the aliens represent minorities.

I am hopefull, I always wanted to see a movie like this =)

Green_Lantern said:
PhantomShadow said:

for what I saw, it looks more like drama and action, and the idea is that the aliens represent minorities.

I am hopefull, I always wanted to see a movie like this =)
I agree from calling that 800 number it's like the aliens are slaves and want to be free and are "inferior" to humans, or that's how I get it

One of my friends gave me the basic rundown. He described it thusly:

Aliens crash land on Earth and we humans imprison them here and try to use their technology to uplift ourselves and join the galactic community. The aliens are imprisoned in Africa and eventually breakout and try to escape. Seeing as they have knowledge of superior technology, the excrement is soon to impact the oscillating rotary device.

S

Steven Soderburgin

We talk about this briefly on the podcast, and in the thread for Podcast 3, there's a link to the trailer. I'm looking forward to it!

Green_Lantern

Staff member
General Specific said:
One of my friends gave me the basic rundown. He described it thusly:

Aliens crash land on Earth and we humans imprison them here and try to use their technology to uplift ourselves and join the galactic community. The aliens are imprisoned in Africa and eventually breakout and try to escape. Seeing as they have knowledge of superior technology, the excrement is soon to impact the oscillating rotary device.
that, but i am not sure about the "join the galactic community"

in the most recent trailer they show a guy who aparently starts to work for them after being sprayed by something that they made, he also is able to use they technology.

Like I said, it is how my friend described it to me. That could be way off for all I know.

Okay, here's the set-up first, then the plot:

Twenty-eight years ago, aliens landed on Earth. A corporation known as Multi-National United (also known as MNU) offered to share knowledge about the Earth. Instead, they forced the aliuens to live in communitiies segregated from humans and treated them like scum, while trying to reverse-engineer their technology.

Now, for the plot:

One agent of MNU goes in with a group to investigate the homes of some aliens. He gets sprayed by some alien devide, which proceeds to alter his DNA, changing it to be more like the aliens' DNA. The aliuen technology can only be operated and controlled by someone with alien DNA, so MNU wants to capture the agent and force hium to unlock the machines, so they can reverse-engineer the technology and sell it.

G

Gill Kaiser

I believe I heard that this movie is produced by Peter Jackson.

Anyhow, it's made in South Africa and portrays aliens as minorities, so something tells me that this movie will be a comment on apartheid.

G

Greendog

The trailer looks sweet, but honestly...

Bowielee said:
It seems kind of like Alien Nation.
^ This.

I'm fairly certain it won't be but the basic premise of aliens coming to earth as refugees is Alien Nation I believe.

Green_Lantern said:
[quote="General Specific":2jeyo876]One of my friends gave me the basic rundown. He described it thusly:

[/quote:2jeyo876]

in war... they always leave out that part, those crazy humans...

This entire conversation (as Kissinger said) was done in the podcast. neener neener neener!

Green_Lantern

Staff member
@Li3n said:
[quote="Green_Lantern":15cydaw2][quote="General Specific":15cydaw2]One of my friends gave me the basic rundown. He described it thusly:

[/quote:15cydaw2]

in war... they always leave out that part, those crazy humans...[/quote:15cydaw2]

Oh, everything is right in that case.

R

redapples

Bowielee said:
redapples said:
It surely can't be worse than Alien Nation though, can it?
Alien Nation was SHIT.
ftfy

Actually the TV series wasn't that bad (except for the missing ending). I was quite excited about the film at the time having read the comic adaption. That lasted 10 minutes at best once the film started.

Gill Kaiser said:
I believe I heard that this movie is produced by Peter Jackson.

Anyhow, it's made in South Africa and portrays aliens as minorities, so something tells me that this movie will be a comment on apartheid.
I'm fairly certain I read an interview that says it's supposed to be more about migrant Zimbabwean workers than apartheid.

It's being directed by Neil Blomkamp. I think it's his first feature film. He was the guy tapped to direct the Halo movie before it got postponed. I'm pretty sure he directed all of the Halo live action commercials as well. If you stick his name in on YouTube, you can get some of the stuff he's done already. It's pretty good.

redapples said:
Bowielee said:
redapples said:
It surely can't be worse than Alien Nation though, can it?
Alien Nation was poop.
ftfy

Actually the TV series wasn't that bad (except for the missing ending). I was quite excited about the film at the time having read the comic adaption. That lasted 10 minutes at best once the film started.
I was actually referring to the TV show. I tend to forget that there even was a movie.

O

Overflight

Ravenpoe said:
Every time I see it advertised, all I can think of is that it would be a much better trailer for a game rather than a movie.

I mean, I'd play that game!
Speaking of game, is it just me, or does the outline of the alien around the blurred part kind of makes him look like a Turian?

Regardless, it looks like it could be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.