[Movies] Don't Like 3D? You Shall Be Punished

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really boils down to this: if something to me is worth it, I'll pay the money to see it. If it doesn't, I won't. I've become much less of a movie-goer in recent years, which is coincidentally the recent years that 3D has become a "thing". If enough people still want to see 3D, though, it'll continue to be a thing. If they don't, it might not. Who knows.

Capitalism--it does stuff.

Kind of sounds like everyone is just either going "YEAHHUH" or "NUHHUH" at this point. I trust Charlie to know his shit, and I respect that. I think it just boils down to the fact I just don't care about the theater experience all that much.
I'm actually kind of surprised Charlie is backing 3D so hard. I've taken him as someone who pays attention to acting, writing, directing, cinematography, use of color and sound, etc. Things that actually matter for a film, even if he doesn't bother watching some of the classic examples of solid movie-making. 3D is not among these. It's an amusement park trait thrown onto movies.

Also, an article from late last year showed that the majority people were avoiding 3D (not a huge majority; I believe it was 65%). The stuff in the OP is likely basing it on the fact that 3D is more expensive and people want to avoid paying more. Because the 3D is entirely unnecessary for enjoying the movie. So now they're going to recoup costs by putting 2D and 3D on even financial footing and seeing for certain where people put their money.

Juski: The problem, however, is that - with this price change - suppose that they decide to stop using 3-D? You think they're gonna stop charging us that upped price? Shyeah, not likely.
While this is a good point, movie theater prices have been rising anyway over the years. This is an excuse for a jump.

ElJuski

Staff member
I don't think that 3D is inherently worthless. It's just overused. I'm sure there are plenty of examples of 3D transcending the form, I just can't think of any offhand. But I'm sure that a talented artist can do amazing things with it. It doesn't always have to reach into your soul, either: a movie like Coraline was eye-candy with how 3D was used, and that's awesome that they did that.

ElJuski

Staff member
While this is a good point, movie theater prices have been rising anyway over the years. This is an excuse for a jump.
And I don't care. I hardly go to the theaters anyway. You have to be reasonable about this, and 3D is not the boogie man that requires some sort of kneejerk hate reaction. It's just a thing. And if theaters got so inflated that they weren't worth it anymore, I'm sure something else just as good would take its place. Yay capitalism!

EDIT: Why it quoted QP and not Nick I don't knowwwww prolly bc I'm dumb

I thought Coraline looked amazing in my home. You said our homes were superior, Juski. Back me up, Broseidon.

I don't know; maybe I was too invested in the story and the visuals present in the film to care about the needle popping out at my face or the swirling paper rats that existed in front of the screen where the film took place. When I do notice, it's distracting. There's a movie going on, but I keep getting pulled out of it because the Na'Vi are flinging arrows at the theater seats and getting in my way. It's like when some asshole comes in with a laser pointer.

Worse, when you see the Coraline stuff at home that's obviously to make use of the 3D, it comes off as gaudy.

And I don't care. I hardly go to the theaters anyway. You have to be reasonable about this, and 3D is not the boogie man that requires some sort of kneejerk hate reaction. It's just a thing. And if theaters got so inflated that they weren't worth it anymore, I'm sure something else just as good would take its place. Yay capitalism!

EDIT: Why it quoted QP and not Nick I don't knowwwww prolly bc I'm dumb
How dare you attack me for things Nick says!!!

. Balls being thrust at your face does not make a movie better.
now you just sound like my ex-girlfriend

I'm not "backing" 3D, just seeing it like any technological advancement. If sound was thrust on Sunrise, that movie would have suffered. Color for the sake of color wouldn't have made The Third Man any better of a movie. I'm glad 3D exists for instances like Avatar, Hugo, and Coraline.

My home theater experience is superior to the big screen Charlie Don't Surf and I didn't have to spend "every dollar I've ever earned" I made the difference of the cost up by not spending it on inflated ticket/3D glasses/concession prices.

I don't think that 3D is inherently worthless. It's just overused. I'm sure there are plenty of examples of 3D transcending the form, I just can't think of any offhand. But I'm sure that a talented artist can do amazing things with it. It doesn't always have to reach into your soul, either: a movie like Coraline was eye-candy with how 3D was used, and that's awesome that they did that.
I tried to make this point and was promptly shit on by 90% of the board. I know you're used to it, me not so much.

I don't know shit about cars. but I wouldn't say "oh, my Yaris can get just the same driving experience as a lambourgini"*

*(I don't even know how to spell lambourghini? Porsche. Should have said Porsche, I think that's right)
If you only care about being able to get to work and back, then a Yaris fulfills the same function as a Lambor... Lam... Pors... sports car, and offers largely the same experience.

Similarly, a gourmet lobster dinner in a 3 star restaurant in Paris would be the same as a quick lobster meal at a diner in a New England fishery town, if all you care about is putting some dead crustacean in your mouth.

If I can find a suit that fits me well enough off the rack, then I don't need to pay the extra expense of a top-class tailor making a custom-made suit for me.

For some people, watching a Let's Play on Youtube is close enough to playing a game themselves.

My point is, I'm sure the movie-going experience is special for some people, where the differences between theater and a home setup is significant enough to justify it. For people like me, though, I'm happy with my ordinary car, ordinary lobster dinner, ordinary suit, and ordinary gaming experience. And my ordinary movie-watching experience at home.

Well, count me out of theaters if this happens. 3D causes me physical discomfort and movie ticket prices here are already fucking insane. I've never seen a movie in 3D where it added ANYTHING to the experience. I would have enjoyed any of these movies just as much without it (and that's not even counting the tears and headaches).

I like my AVX theater. It allows me to book my favorite spot in the theater (second row from the top that has 3 times the leg room of the rest of the rows). It has the super wide seats so even if a 400 pound dude sits next to me, he isn't spilling into my seat, which is super nice and when you pull up the armrest between the seats it becomes basically a comfy loveseat when I see the movie with someone I like to cuddle with.

I will pay 16 dollars a seat for this theater to see movies in 2D (and occasionally 3D if I don't have a choice) but I will not pay 20 for everything. That's my line. I know this is some podunk Georgian theater chain and I doubt Cineplex would follow suit but if they did, they would lose me and others like me.

When I watch a movie : (in that 1 theatre where I can book my seat online)

1. Movie on my watch list? Make decision.
2. Evaluate watching it o Tuesday for half-price or Saturday night late showing for minimum of people. Make decision.
3. Check seat availability.. Seat available? Proceed.
4. Check Scene points, can I watch this for free?
5. Book online.
6. Bring snacks and drink within woman's biggest handbag. Total cost, 4$.
7. Show up at movies just in time, go to out seats. When the light go off. Take out the snacks, enjoy cheap movie and cheap snacks.

Nothing less than this.

Woman and I can watch a movie in an AVX(sp) theatre with reserved seating and bring our own snacks usually for less than $20.

I rarley bother seeing anything in the theatres anymore now unless it's something particularly action packed and in the IMAX theatres.

Contrary to Charlie's assertation about home theatres... I do happen to have an awesome home theatre setup (purpose built room, high quality television, blu-ray player and a very nicely calibrated and balanced sound system) and that's where I go to enjoy movies nowadays. Hell, for the cost of my wife and I going to a movie in the theatres we can buy the blu-ray and watch it as much as we want in our own cozy little home theatre.

And as for 3D? If a movie is shot natively in 3D then it tends to turn out significantly better than if it's a 2D to 3D hackjob (compare the 3D work in Avatar to Clash of the Titans). Honestly... if it's not done well it looks like trash and greatly detracts from my enjoyment of the movie.

Personally I'd rather the producer and director concentrate on actually making a good movie than worrying about 3D bullshit. Call me when holographic movies come out... 3D as we see it today isn't all that great.

I didn't know Bianca's name was of paramount importance to you Charlie.

What do you call your significant other Charlie?

Jill?

jill.JPG

I'm not in high school any more so it doesn't hurt my feelings to be single

"woman" just seems hella disrepectful and treating her like an object and is part of the larger systemic sexism that hurts everyone bla bla bla but who cares I'm overly sensitive, let's get back to what's really important - I'm gonna try to see John Carter in IMAX 3D this weekend.

I also left out earlier by accident that Transformers 3 looked really cool in 3D as well, and I WOULD EVEN ARGUE the use of 3D vastly improved Michael Bay's visual style and panache

ElJuski

Staff member
I tried to make this point and was promptly shit on by 90% of the board. I know you're used to it, me not so much.
I'm only used to it because I'm used to this forum having knee-jerk reactions to everything. That and how they love to write off a forum user pretty immediately.

If you're referring to the whining thread and that was the point you were trying to make, then that is not at all how you came across. Here is how you came across:

"Hey guys, why everybody hating on 3D?"
"(Reasons)"
"You just don't get 3D; haters gonna hate, lulz"

Must have been a translation error.

fade

Staff member
I have never seen a 3D movie where the 3D added to the experience. I continue to contend that you already see a movie in 3D, because that's the way the human brain works. In Avatar, for example, I completely forgot the movie was in 3D after a while because it had ceased to be any different to my mind than the 2D version, which was already interpreted as 3D by my mental software.

If you're referring to the whining thread and that was the point you were trying to make, then that is not at all how you came across. Here is how you came across:

"Hey guys, why everybody hating on 3D?"
"(Reasons)"
"You just don't get 3D; haters gonna hate, lulz"

Must have been a translation error.
Hm... If only I had acknowledged that people had made valid points, but the majority of responses were simply kneejerk hating on 3d.

Oh, wait, that's exactly what I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.