Dragonquest IX sells 2.343 million copies in 2 days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charlie Dont Surf said:
You said you liked it more or something?
Indeed I did, but I am aware that overall the Bourne trilogy, were superior films in their writing, action scenes were better, and the acting was obviously carried with more weight. None the less, it bored me to sleep on multiple attempts at watching them.

I'm also not a fan of:

Chibibar said:
* It is weird that while Japan accepts many thing from different culture, they don't really accept different people INTO their culture.
When one of the main focuses of a political campaign in Japan can be about keeping Japan "Ethnically Pure" AND YOU CAN WIN, it really says something about how afraid the Japanese are about losing their identity. It IS getting better, but it's slow going. It'll probably be another generation or two before we start seeing any changes in Japan's xenophobic domestic policies.

What's most annoying is that gay men in Japanese society, while ridiculed in most circles, are generally accepted as "weirdos but ok". Lesbian women on the other hand... :eek:rly:

Shegokigo said:
What's most annoying is that gay men in Japanese society, while ridiculed in most circles, are generally accepted as "weirdos but ok". Lesbian women on the other hand... :eek:rly:
That's because homosexuality between men is well documented in Japanese history and was quite common during the Age of the Samurai. Indeed, it was considered the purest form of love in some circles. It wasn't until the US took control of the government after WWII that it suddenly became the kind of thing you didn't talk about anymore.

I also think it has something to do with the fact that, generally speaking, there are around 5% more women in Japan than men, yet marriage is in decline.

C

Chibibar

AshburnerX said:
Shegokigo said:
That's because homosexuality between men is well documented in Japanese history and was quite common during the Age of the Samurai. Indeed, it was considered the purest form of love in some circles. It wasn't until the US took control of the government after WWII that it suddenly became the kind of thing you didn't talk about anymore.

I also think it has something to do with the fact that, generally speaking, there are around 5% more women in Japan than men, yet marriage is in decline.
There was a cool video about it. I can't find it (a friend send me a link long ago and I have NO clue what was the name) it made sense since the women are more empowered than before (allow to get jobs, be independent) some do not want to "settle down" and be housewives. I guess it is "odd" for the men to be "housewives" not sure why cause I'm the one taking care of my house ;)

Dragonquest IX selles 2.343 million copies in 2 days

Charlie Dont Surf said:
what the fuck is dragonquest
In America it was known as Dragon Warrior becasue TSR (The people who did D&D before WoTC) had already released a table top game called Dragon Quest.

-- Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:02 pm --

Ravenpoe said:
/Snip

As far as I can tell, none of the games are connected, so you won't hurt from not playing the previous ones.

I and II were connected. Can't remember if III was related or not. After that they went the FF route and had a different world each time.

J

JCM

Dragonquest IX selles 2.343 million copies in 2 days

bigcountry23 said:
As far as I can tell, none of the games are connected, so you won't hurt from not playing the previous ones.

I and II were connected. Can't remember if III was related or not. After that they went the FF route and had a different world each time.[/quote]Well, to be fair, Dragonquest 3 came out before FF2 (and the two first two DQ, before FF1)

Well good news and horrible news:

I managed to find an original (Non-Greatest hits) copy of DQ8 for PS2 in pristine condition, with manual (and the retarded FFXII demo) for $10 at a nearby Gamestop. :D :thumbsup:

My PS2 no longer recognizes the first player controller port. :facepalm:

Now to spend $99 on a "new" PS2. :devil:

AshburnerX said:
Chibibar said:
* It is weird that while Japan accepts many thing from different culture, they don't really accept different people INTO their culture.
When one of the main focuses of a political campaign in Japan can be about keeping Japan "Ethnically Pure" AND YOU CAN WIN, it really says something about how afraid the Japanese are about losing their identity. It IS getting better, but it's slow going. It'll probably be another generation or two before we start seeing any changes in Japan's xenophobic domestic policies.
Yup. Ol' Shinzo Abe didn't do progressives any favors with the whole "instilling a love of one's country into schoolchildren" and the textbook reforms. I'm mildly disappointed he resigned AFTER I left Japan.

Also, I'm curious, Ashburner...what's your experience with Japan? We seem to agree on a lot of the same points, but I'm just a bit curious :)

Enresshou said:
AshburnerX said:
Chibibar said:
Yup. Ol' Shinzo Abe didn't do progressives any favors with the whole "instilling a love of one's country into schoolchildren" and the textbook reforms. I'm mildly disappointed he resigned AFTER I left Japan.

Also, I'm curious, Ashburner...what's your experience with Japan? We seem to agree on a lot of the same points, but I'm just a bit curious :)
Hmm... well I study Japan a lot because it's where a lot of my favorite things come from. I also have a lot of contact with Japanese Immigrants/Tourists, as we seem to be getting a lot of them here in Ohio lately (mainly because of how cheap everything is here). It's amazing how your opinion of a people plummets by simply meeting them :rofl: I think a lot of the Wapanese folks need to meet some real Japanese people... maybe they wouldn't be so quick to sing the praises of Japan once they realized that they fucking hate American Otakus.

However, I also study it's modern culture and it's politics as well, which has given me some mixed feelings about it. I think that's the key difference between myself and a weeaboo: I actually look at the negative side of Japan and recognize that's just as much a shithole as the US in many ways... especially in regards to non-ethnically Japanese people living in Japan. It's not even enough to have been born in the country, as Japan doesn't practice Jus Soli... if your parents weren't Japanese, they don't want you in the country. That recent debacle with the South American workers they allowed into the country (All of which were descendants of Japanese citizens), where they were basically tried to bribe them away once Unemployment among Japanese Citizens rose sharply is a perfect example.

To any and all people interested in visiting or, god forbid, LIVING there, I point you to Gaijin SMASH!!! It's the blog of a black American ELA Teacher who for some reason decided to stay in Japan after his 3 years were up. It gives first hand accounts of the kinds of crazy shit he's had to deal with. It may scare you straight!

AshburnerX said:
Hmm... well I study Japan a lot because it's where a lot of my favorite things come from. I also have a lot of contact with Japanese Immigrants/Tourists, as we seem to be getting a lot of them here in Ohio lately (mainly because of how cheap everything is here). It's amazing how your opinion of a people plummets by simply meeting them :rofl: I think a lot of the Wapanese folks need to meet some real Japanese people... maybe they wouldn't be so quick to sing the praises of Japan once they realized that they fucking hate American Otakus.

However, I also study it's modern culture and it's politics as well, which has given me some mixed feelings about it. I think that's the key difference between myself and a weeaboo: I actually look at the negative side of Japan and recognize that's just as much a shithole as the US in many ways... especially in regards to non-ethnically Japanese people living in Japan. It's not even enough to have been born in the country, as Japan doesn't practice Jus Soli... if your parents weren't Japanese, they don't want you in the country. That recent debacle with the South American workers they allowed into the country (All of which were descendants of Japanese citizens), where they were basically tried to bribe them away once Unemployment among Japanese Citizens rose sharply is a perfect example.

To any and all people interested in visiting or, god forbid, LIVING there, I point you to Gaijin SMASH!!! It's the blog of a black American ELA Teacher who for some reason decided to stay in Japan after his 3 years were up. It gives first hand accounts of the kinds of crazy shit he's had to deal with. It may scare you straight!
High-five for the dislike of American 'otaku', though I can't really say that otaku of any sort are particularly awesome (though Akihabara WAS, might I add).

As for the 'God forbid' aspect of living there, I have to respectfully disagree. Although I do admit there are some shithole aspects of it, with the most noted being the blatant racism (I was forcibly, and (sadly) legally, barred from entering a club on the grounds of, "Gaijin Kinshi." (foreigners forbidden)), that largely occurs in the professional setting. Personally, though, I more than enjoyed the social contacts I made.

This duality of the culture, I think, is what gets under the skin of a lot of people. The people I met socially were, largely, extremely friendly: I was invited back time and again to the home of a couple young boys I'd taught English, I made a lot of friends at the university I attended, and the owners of a nearby okonomiyaki shop were like my extended family. Granted, this might be in part because I speak (well, spoke; I'm a tad bit rustier now) Japanese nearly fluently and had little problems communicating.

This was different with people I met in a professional setting, where I was treated mostly with respect, sometimes ignored (damn bus driver in Kyoto pretended he couldn't understand my Japanese, which I know was right and asking him in three different ways), but always at a distance.

I do agree, however, that the 'Wapanese' who slavishly adore Japan due to one outlet of pop culture need a reality check.

J

JONJONAUG

Shegokigo said:
I have always honestly wanted to get into Dragonquest. Which one should I start on? I have a PS2, Wii, DS and PSP.

I was thinking of the PS2 version with the hottie in pigtails, who rivals Power Girl in chestitude!
None of these. Get a Game Boy Color emulator and play some Dragon Warrior III.

Also, to which games are related: The first three games are a trilogy and the second three games have some common themes/locations but are otherwise unrelated.

Status
Not open for further replies.