Export thread

Dude has been hold up in his house for 10 years

phil

phil

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/state/10_years_of_standing_his_ground.html

TL;DR version with my own twist of bias:

This guy was arrested and got out on bail, but then failed to go to court because he's a "just because I live here and enjoy the benefits of this country doesn't mean I have to do anything the government tells me to do" types. So when they go to arrest him for failing to show up he basically says that they won't take him alive so they just let him stay there. He's been there for 10 years now, no electricity or anything. The local sheriff doesn't see the need to go get him because it would just end up with him dead and probably a deputy or two in the process.

And the thing is, he would have probably only gotten probation had he just gone to court 10 years ago.

Dei

Dei

Since it can never be said enough....

LOL Texas.

Dave

Dave

Could be worse.

A New jersey woman wants to be the fattest person in the world.

I wouldn't give a shit but she has a young daughter. Stupidity is everywhere.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Man, if we could figure out how to do this on a massive scale, think of the expenses we could save on incarceration. Think of what we could do for prison overcrowding!

Chazwozel

Man, if we could figure out how to do this on a massive scale, think of the expenses we could save on incarceration. Think of what we could do for prison overcrowding!

It's called house arrest.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It's called house arrest.[/QUOTE]

Except this one has no electricity, cable TV, etc. If only house arrest was so unpleasant.

Dave

Dave

I'm sure Martha Stewart was miserable.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Except this one has no electricity, cable TV, etc. If only house arrest was so unpleasant.[/QUOTE]

Would the government have to pay for utilities if you're under house arrest?!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Except this one has no electricity, cable TV, etc. If only house arrest was so unpleasant.[/QUOTE]

Would the government have to pay for utilities if you're under house arrest?![/QUOTE]

I'm saying the government would specifically cut OFF your utilities as a punitive measure. :twisted:

@Li3n

@Li3n

And i was implying it wouldn't be necessary, as being imprisoned would limit income possibilities, and unless the government provides some sort of earning opportunity the utilities would go away on their own.

GasBandit

GasBandit

And i was implying it wouldn't be necessary, as being imprisoned would limit income possibilities, and unless the government provides some sort of earning opportunity the utilities would go away on their own.
Eh, a lot of us (I do, in fact) have it set up so that our utilities are automatically debited out of our bank accounts every month... so it would be quite a while before they shut these people off. The bill would keep paying itself out of accrued savings... only people who were broke or didn't have this set up such or didn't make other arrangements FROM "house arrest" would be subject to being cut off otherwise.

Shakey

Shakey

Usually you can still go to work when you're on house arrest. I worked with a guy that had the ankle bracelet from too many DUI's and he could only go directly to and from work at specified times. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't release you unless you could prove that you were able to provide adequate housing though.

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

Weird story, but that bit about the guy who can't get his kids despite being granted custody is bullshit. Essentially the law is turning a blind eye to kidnapping.

Chibibar

Usually you can still go to work when you're on house arrest. I worked with a guy that had the ankle bracelet from too many DUI's and he could only go directly to and from work at specified times. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't release you unless you could prove that you were able to provide adequate housing though.
Yup.

Also in actual Prison, there are yard time, movie time, you can even get a degree!!

phil

phil

Weird story, but that bit about the guy who can't get his kids despite being granted custody is bullshit. Essentially the law is turning a blind eye to kidnapping.

Right, that part kind of confused me. I mean, if the kids are supposed to be in the father's custody than it seems like they should have to go on there to find the kids. But some people say that the wife and kids aren't there anymore? I mean that seems like something you could easily find out, right? Although the article does seem a little fuzzy as to who exactly lives on the property. Is it just Gray? There's a picture on the site that labels dat ass as Gray's wife and I guess his son is there too. Are there others?

And why are people able to just come and go as they please, apparently, except for John Joe Gray?

I mean the kids are either not there, or have been there for 10 years in which case they're going to be too far gone to ever bring back into the real world.

Found some video about it.

part 2 has a bit more on the custody aspect

Here's Chuck "fucking" Norris trying to talk him off the property

Chibibar

I was wondering about that. I mean it is kidnapping if the court says the father has custody. If the kid is no longer in the house and cross state border then it would be FBI issue.