Export thread

DVD to AVI conversion?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

In the past I would use Gordian Knot to convert DVDs to AVI video files. That was fine in the old 32-bit era. Now the various bits of that package are one dead project after another. The updated versions don't play well with their older brethren. Even the guides are up to 5 years old.

What I want is a package that will convert (unencrypted) DVDs to an AVI file of the resolution and bitrate of my own choosing, and does not leave a pile of unused codecs all over my system. In fact, it it just lets me use the xvid codec already installed, all the better.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I use Magic DVD Ripper. It seems pretty straightforward, never gave me trouble and never told me to install more codecs. Course, it's been ages since I ripped anything, most of what I want is already on a torrent somewhere...

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I use Magic DVD Ripper. It seems pretty straightforward, never gave me trouble and never told me to install more codecs. Course, it's been ages since I ripped anything, most of what I want is already on a torrent somewhere...
I've got stack of movies I haven't watched since I burned the DVDs ages ago. And some come from torrents in DVD form already.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I've got stack of movies I haven't watched since I burned the DVDs ages ago. And some come from torrents in DVD form already.
Check your PMs.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Check your PMs.
Done and thanks.

adam0718

I use Rip DVD Plus. Rips to AVI / XVid with excellent quality. It is easy to use and inexpensive-
http://www.deskshare.com/dvd-ripping-software.aspx

Covar

Covar

Is there a reason you want Xvid and AVI instead of something like h.264 and MP4? Handbrake is probably the simplest method I've used, but it's containers are MP4 or MKV.

From the handbrake page:
  • File format: MP4(M4V) and MKV
  • Video: MPEG-4(ffmpeg), H.264(x264), or Theora(libtheora)
  • Audio: AAC, CoreAudio AAC (OS X Only), MP3, or Vorbis. AC-3 pass-through, DTS pass-thorugh (MKV only)

PatrThom

PatrThom

There's also SUPER, I suppose, but I admit I've only tried to use it one time. It succeeded.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

I've got a semi-related question. What's the easiest way to take a video clip and turn it into an animated gif via freeware? I know GIMP can build / edit the gif file once it's a gif or even a set of simple images. I tried SUPER, but it leaves a watermark in the middle of the image.