Eggs: Meat or?

Eggs: Meat or not Meat?

• Total voters
Pondering as I was cooking this morning.
Think of first three meats that come to mind. Steak, chicken, pork, maybe horse, cat, dog, snake, groundhog....
Eggs.... love em, but they don't come to mind. So, question above.

Meat, by definition, since cells are cells regardless of size.
...well, "meat" is what I voted, anyway. I suppose technically I should've voted as "pre-meat" since an egg is haploid rather than diploid, and the majority of cells present in animal flesh are all diploid. Too late to change my vote, though, so I'll just assume that the egg in question had already been fertilized.

--Patrick

To me, meat is either muscle tissue or organ.
Other animal products, like fish, dairy, blood, etc, aren't meat either.
It's animal protein, but not meat.

There are multiple ways to approach this.

Biologically? I suppose you could say eggs are meat because they're both animal protein.

Culinarily? Eggs and meat are cooked in different ways so we don't treat them as the same thing.

Nutritionally? Eggs and meat offer a lot of the same nutrients, but there are still differences, eg meat will usually contain more iron and potassium.

Culturally? Some vegetarians will eat eggs so they don't consider eggs to be meat.

Theologically? Eggs are permitted for Lent, for Buddhists refraining from meat, etc.

Assuming we're talking specifically about the unfertilised eggs sold for human consumption, then there is no & will never be any animal flesh in them so they're not meat. They are as @bhamv3 mentioned above generally stored, cooked & consumed differently to meat.

I wouldn't call them dairy either, keeping them in a category of their own, but I would consider eggs to be closer to being a dairy product than a meat one.